Badger5Sky Insurance
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By steverobertsbbc

Thread: Gutted - tyre blowout!!

Neutral

Status

Gutted - tyre blowout!!

Just come back after 12 days holiday after picking up my new S3 6 days before going away... Come back excited to take the car out on my way back from the shops, car starts pulling to one side, next thing tyre goes thankfully I was 2 mins from home so just very slowly drove it down the road first of all making sure the alloy wasn't scraping at all!! I can't believe that I have driven the car for less than a week and I'm having to fork out for a new tyre already... What are the recommendations for tyres for the S3? And rough costs? The good thing is it means getting rid of the horrible continentals....
    Delivery 05/2014 Audi S3 3 Door - Monsoon Grey, Lunar Silver Full Leather, Full Tech Pack, Comfort Pack & Full Parking, B&O sound

2. # ADS
    ADS

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by wills_1990 View Post
    Just come back after 12 days holiday after picking up my new S3 6 days before going away... Come back excited to take the car out on my way back from the shops, car starts pulling to one side, next thing tyre goes thankfully I was 2 mins from home so just very slowly drove it down the road first of all making sure the alloy wasn't scraping at all!! I can't believe that I have driven the car for less than a week and I'm having to fork out for a new tyre already... What are the recommendations for tyres for the S3? And rough costs? The good thing is it means getting rid of the horrible continentals....
    Do you not have tyre pressure monitoring?
    On order [ARRIVED 23 JULY]: Sportback 1.4TFSI COD S-Line, 7-speed S-tronic, Glacier white, Black Nappa leather, Technology with Audi Connect, LED headlights, Storage, No-smoking, Black styling, Driver Assistance including Adaptive Cruise Control, Active Lane Assist, High Beam Assist, Audi Parking System Plus with Park Assist, Audi Sound system, 5 year warranty, Folding & heated door mirrors, Electric lumbar support, Extended mono.pur, Heated seats, Hold assist, Privacy glass.

Neutral

Status
    Stupidly thought it was included... Wasn't until reading a thread on here that realised it wasn't and it was too late to add it....
    Delivery 05/2014 Audi S3 3 Door - Monsoon Grey, Lunar Silver Full Leather, Full Tech Pack, Comfort Pack & Full Parking, B&O sound

1st Gear

Status
    Stupidly thought it was included... Wasn't until reading a thread on here that realised it wasn't and it was too late to add it....
    Later this week I will be adding a TyrePal tyre pressure monitoring system to the group buys section so watch this space!
    On order [ARRIVED 23 JULY]: Sportback 1.4TFSI COD S-Line, 7-speed S-tronic, Glacier white, Black Nappa leather, Technology with Audi Connect, LED headlights, Storage, No-smoking, Black styling, Driver Assistance including Adaptive Cruise Control, Active Lane Assist, High Beam Assist, Audi Parking System Plus with Park Assist, Audi Sound system, 5 year warranty, Folding & heated door mirrors, Electric lumbar support, Extended mono.pur, Heated seats, Hold assist, Privacy glass.

Neutral

Status
    That would be great... I will keep an eye out...thanks!

Neutral

Status
    Wheel survive unscathed?

Neutral

Status
    Yes it looks like thank god!! Although it was dark so will have to inspect it properly in the morning...

Neutral

Status
    Perhaps try and speak to the dealership you bought it from. Try and wangle a new tyre. My friend did 9000 miles when his tyres wore out on his A1 and Audi replaced the lot. Maybe saying that a new tyre not holding its pressure after not being driven for 12 days isn't good enough?

If you have to go for new ones the Goodyear Eagle F1's are pretty decent.

Neutral

Status
    The problem is there is a huge metal object in the tyre, I have yet to find out what it is.... Yeah I have heard they are a good tyre so was thinking either that or the Dunlop sport max RT have had a lot said about on here?!

Neutral

Status
    If it's a new car, surely you want to put the same tyre on as is already on the other three corners, don't you? I think it's going to look a bit silly with one in four being different, plus there's the potential for handling issues due to mixing different tyres on the same axle. I'd stick to what you've already got on and chalk it up to bad luck.
    snowfree52 likes this.

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by steverobertsbbc View Post
    If it's a new car, surely you want to put the same tyre on as is already on the other three corners, don't you? I think it's going to look a bit silly with one in four being different, plus there's the potential for handling issues due to mixing different tyres on the same axle. I'd stick to what you've already got on and chalk it up to bad luck.
    I think they recommend this on quattros don't they? To prevent damage to the diffs due to differing rolling resistance of cross branded tyres

6th Gear

Status
    I've had this happen to me twice now, got the same tyre model refitted again each time. Each time, I noticed it before the TPMS picked it up (I had driven about 2 miles after what I suspect caused one of them!), and the TPMS only went off after I had the space saver on and had driven on that for about 10 mins! Pretty useless system so far by my experience.
    Sport 2.0 TDI 150 Sportback in Scuba Blue, alcantara/leather, advanced key, audi sound system, comfort pack w/ ACC and park assist, deselect sports suspension, auto-dimming & folding door mirrors, electric lumbar support, heated seats, hold assist, non-smoking pack, side & lane assist, reversing camera, storage & luggage pack, tech pack with audi connect, tyre pressure warning, towbar, variable headlight range control, xenon light pack

Neutral

Status
    Dunno whether its just me but I have never known tyres as bad as Continentals for picking up foreign bodies and punctures. I have had a nail through the rear offside already - had less than 500 on the clock.

Had similar issues with an A4 and (wrongly) blamed it on 19" tyres - three punctures in two years. Continentals again. My last 8P S3s had Bridgestones. Not great tyres but puncture free on both in over 30k miles.

I've had all sorts of brands over the years - and generally re shoe with Pirellis. Never had puncture issues with anything other than Continentals. Maybe I'm just unlucky with them - but like previous posters have said don't mix and match. Change them all (which is a lot of outlay) or sadly just suck it and get another Continental.

6th Gear

Status
    They are Pirellis on mine...
    Sport 2.0 TDI 150 Sportback in Scuba Blue, alcantara/leather, advanced key, audi sound system, comfort pack w/ ACC and park assist, deselect sports suspension, auto-dimming & folding door mirrors, electric lumbar support, heated seats, hold assist, non-smoking pack, side & lane assist, reversing camera, storage & luggage pack, tech pack with audi connect, tyre pressure warning, towbar, variable headlight range control, xenon light pack

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by steverobertsbbc View Post
    Yeah i was thinking i might buy 2 for the back, so the axel is running the same tyres, but i have got a good deal on a Conti so sticking with that for now.

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by 6audi6 View Post
    Dunno whether its just me but I have never known tyres as bad as Continentals for picking up foreign bodies and punctures. I have had a nail through the rear offside already - had less than 500 on the clock.

Had similar issues with an A4 and (wrongly) blamed it on 19" tyres - three punctures in two years. Continentals again. My last 8P S3s had Bridgestones. Not great tyres but puncture free on both in over 30k miles.

I've had all sorts of brands over the years - and generally re shoe with Pirellis. Never had puncture issues with anything other than Continentals. Maybe I'm just unlucky with them - but like previous posters have said don't mix and match. Change them all (which is a lot of outlay) or sadly just suck it and get another Continental.
    Thanks for the advice, glad its not just me that is having the bad luck.

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by cemerson View Post
    I've had this happen to me twice now, got the same tyre model refitted again each time. Each time, I noticed it before the TPMS picked it up (I had driven about 2 miles after what I suspect caused one of them!), and the TPMS only went off after I had the space saver on and had driven on that for about 10 mins! Pretty useless system so far by my experience.
    Yep agree entirely. That is one of the many problems with indirect TPMS - the delay in reporting any change. A direct TPMS system will pick up a change in pressure (or temperature) within around 6 seconds and display the actual pressure. The other big problem with indirect systems is that because they are simply comparing the diameter of the wheels, if the pressure in all wheels changes together (which they do as the seasons and temperature changes) then nothing is reported.

1st Gear

Status
    In 7k I've had 5 punctures, 2 of which where new tires. I don't drive on any small roads or very rarely. So your not alone lol.

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by cemerson View Post
    I've had one puncture recently and TPMS told me before I knew. I was very impressed. It wasn't a slow puncture either.

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by glospete View Post
    Yep agree entirely. That is one of the many problems with indirect TPMS - the delay in reporting any change. A direct TPMS system will pick up a change in pressure (or temperature) within around 6 seconds and display the actual pressure. The other big problem with indirect systems is that because they are simply comparing the diameter of the wheels, if the pressure in all wheels changes together (which they do as the seasons and temperature changes) then nothing is reported.
    Yes, I'm fine with that though - It doesn't exempt you from checking your tyres and keeping them at the right pressures. I have the system mainly for punctures, but my experience so far hasn't been great.

1st Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Follow rezulteo On Twitter Add rezulteo on Facebook
    What size engine do you have? And what size tyres were they? This is just to give you the best possible results.
    All tyres for Audi and tyre news, advice, tests and comparisons on http://www.rezulteo-tyres.co.uk
    Follow us on Twitter !
    Like our Facebook page !

1st Gear

Status
    That would be great... I will keep an eye out...thanks!
    TyrePal tyre pressure monitoring system offer now on Group Buys at:

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/group-b...save-£20.html