First thoughts after one day with my A3 S Line Manual Cabriolet 1.4 TFSI

phil1824

Reaction score
Just thought I would post some first thoughts after one day with my A3 1.4 COD Petrol Manual Tech pack with Audi Connect.
Top line is I am ABSOLUTELY delighted.
Drives beautifully and am getting used to the Technology (which I love)
Embarrassing moment this morning when I could not work out how to disengage the Parking Brake (never disengaged it before because you just drive and it disengages). Had to reverse out of the drive and would not move!!!
AAAHH, but then realised you push switch down firmly.
Took me a while to get Adaptive Cruise control to work, but now have it working and I am pleased (although still a little in awe to it and waiting for it to fail and me crash into car in front)
Audi Connect is working, I had issues thinking I had to re-enter the Audi Pin, but I then realised it is logged in and you ignore the LOGIN option (because already logged in)
Took me a while to get Facebook and Twitter activated, as My Audi and Audi Connect in the car appeared to want it activated in the other one first.
Once they were connected, the option on the Web MyAudi enabled me to activate it there and then I could do it in the car. Had to re-enter the AudiConnect PIN.
So far have used 84 MB in and sent 11 MB. Will update this every now and then because I know this is a question many ask.
I am using Street View and just started using FB and Twitter this morning.
The 3 SIM appears a good option.
Used the heated seats and the Air cushion which blows warm air on your neck this morning and that was great.
The dealership gave me the new Green iPhone 5 cable (which they said had just arrived)
I also go a full tank of fuel, an Audi Ceramic Mug, Cleaning items and Oil.
A lovely touch which was very much appreciated was the Bottle of wine from the Sales Associate himself (they had recently been on a holiday in France which we spoke about when I was test driving a car many weeks ago).
One thing I must see if I can get sorted is that the voice controls are de-activated on the Cabriolet. They were on my A4 and I had to get them to enable them. Will ask for my A3. I hope it is possible, can't see why not.
I took a phone call when driving at 60 with lots of road noise and the roof down and the person I was talking to said the sound quality was great. It was not so good with the A4 system.
Fuel economy coming in today was 46.7 MPG which was great. Yesterday was averaging 30, so will post those figures also.
Enough for now, must do some work to pay for my indulgence..

Reactions: glospete, FishyFinger and cuke2u
thanks for the update, sounds like you're having a great time and the car sounds awesome!

Reactions: phil1824
Wish there was an s3 cabriolet ;) (2015 TTS?)

Glad you're enjoying it :)

I am pretty sure the parking brake ALWAYS disengages if you drive it with your seat belt clicked in :) at least this was the case on my A5 and current evoque - anyone confirm if this is not the case with the A3? Otherwise if you press the brake and then click the switch this will do it :)

Last edited:
Many thanks for the clarification.
I felt so so foolish sitting there and trying to go and not being able to move!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Glad you're enjoying it :)

I am pretty sure the parking brake ALWAYS disengages if you drive it with your seat belt clicked in :) at least this was the case on my A5 and current evoque - anyone confirm if this is not the case with the A3? Otherwise if you press the brake and then clcik the switch this will do it :)

Reactions: seniorjj
Ahhhhh Hell. Why did you tell me that?

Time to cancel my order and start again.

Goddamit.

Reactions: JohnM100
Thoughts on Day three:
Still absolutely delighted.... Really annoyed today when it RAINED and the car got a little dirty!!
Have now done around 300 miles. Around Manchester, Cheshire, a run up to Lancaster and back on the M6.
Really pleased with the feel of the car. My A4 was a little harsh on the suspension and the diesel was a little intrusive. The Start Stop works really well. Am very pleased with the feel of the Manual Gearbox (as highlighted in the reviews.)
Now have Bluetooth streaming working with the children's phone and the Wifi Hot Spot does work with Three, even though their web site says tethering is not allowed.
The Audi Music streaming ie Music and Radios. is working via the MMI Connect App on the iPhone.
I cannot compare Music systems i.e. Audi standard etc and had the Bose system in the A4 which was great.
I was BLOWN away this evening with the B&O system. It does depend on which songs you are playing. I was playing one which utilised the surround sound capability and it was truly amazing.
My Daughter says the best feature of the car is the playing of Videos when stopped.
So, so much more to discover, but I am really pleased to be in the car and also pleased with the comments I receive re the Colour, which I was worried about prior to seeing.
One bad bit of news is that the Bottle of Wine which the great sales exec gave me is EMPTY now... wonder how that happened!!

Reactions: The Engineer, JohnM100, glospete and 3 others
Ask him for a repair under warranty ;-p

Great review Phil - keep them coming as us future 1.4TFSI owners will find your experiences very useful.

After a couple of weeks or so a Good Points and Bad Points summary would be good.

Last edited:
A quick question - do the pedals have "alloy look" or are they plain black metal/plastic. I never noticed when I had my test drives!

Mine are plain black metal/Plastic
Look great though!!
A quick question - do the pedals have "alloy look" or are they plain black metal/plastic. I never noticed when I had my test drives!

Reactions: glospete
Loved driving along with Google Earth set to close up setting today. i.e. Not actually navigating anywhere, just letting Google Earth show what was around me.
That and Surround Sound Joan Armatrading sounding like I had never heard her before on the B&O was superb.

Thoughts on Day three:
Still absolutely delighted.... Really annoyed today when it RAINED and the car got a little dirty!!
Have now done around 300 miles. Around Manchester, Cheshire, a run up to Lancaster and back on the M6.
Really pleased with the feel of the car. My A4 was a little harsh on the suspension and the diesel was a little intrusive. The Start Stop works really well. Am very pleased with the feel of the Manual Gearbox (as highlighted in the reviews.)
Now have Bluetooth streaming working with the children's phone and the Wifi Hot Spot does work with Three, even though their web site says tethering is not allowed.
The Audi Music streaming ie Music and Radios. is working via the MMI Connect App on the iPhone.
I cannot compare Music systems i.e. Audi standard etc and had the Bose system in the A4 which was great.
I was BLOWN away this evening with the B&O system. It does depend on which songs you are playing. I was playing one which utilised the surround sound capability and it was truly amazing.
My Daughter says the best feature of the car is the playing of Videos when stopped.
So, so much more to discover, but I am really pleased to be in the car and also pleased with the comments I receive re the Colour, which I was worried about prior to seeing.
One bad bit of news is that the Bottle of Wine which the great sales exec gave me is EMPTY now... wonder how that happened!!

I have now had my marvellous car six days.
I have done 475 miles, a variety of around town, motorway, snake pass, city etc.
MPG according to the computer is 38.4 MPG.
I am absolutely delighted with the car.
My first car was a Mark one Jag which I bought for 50 pounds many years ago. I still recall the joy of being in my pride and joy and driving around.
I am getting the same pleasure from the A3 Cabriolet S Line 1.4 Petrol with all the added excitement of Tech Pack plus Audi connect etc.
Positives are the ride, the seats, the driving feel, the cabriolet and the wind in your hair etc.
So, let's be more objective... Difficult I know.

I found it not as easy as I thought to get the Adaptive Cruise control to work effectively. I know I should have read the manual and that is still on my to do list. I am "learning by doing"
I was very impressed by the way it coped with the bendy Snake Pass from Manchester to Sheffield and did not get confused by the sharp corners, keeping locked onto the car in front.
Switching on the handbrake when you are still slightly moving is a little disconcerting as you rapidly stop. (on a manual handbrake, you can gradually apply it)
I have now understood that I need to have my seat belt on the effectively disengage the handbrake..
I have not had the chance to play with the LED lights yet. I am pleased that it has the Auto light option.
Have not played with the intelligent dipping system. A pleasure yet to come.
Audi Connect and Google maps is a joy.
The what's on information is sparse if you live in the sticks, but I am sure that will come with time. For example, the Cheshire show did not appear.
Not having playlists from iTunes is irritating, so I bought a cable to connect my iPod.
I have been hammering Audi connect and data usage so far is sent 750 MB, Received 509 MB.
On the meter it says 750comma45 i.e. 750,45, but I am assuming the comma is a decimal dot??
On line destinations and Picture destinations are great.
The hot air option and heated seats to assist with coping with the cold are great.
I would highly recommend the "deselect sports suspension " option.
The B&O system is superb

Sorry I cannot be more negative, but I can't...
Best car I have ever owned.
So so pleased.

Reactions: illingworth22, BGS, glospete and 2 others
I have been hammering Audi connect and data usage so far is sent 750 MB, Received 509 MB.
On the meter it says 750comma45 i.e. 750,45, but I am assuming the comma is a decimal dot??

Glad you're enjoying your new car mate. I have to ask, what is your general usage of the connect functions to have such a high usage? Do you do a lot of streaming? (or is that comma just misplaced and it's actually 75mb?)

I struggle to use that much data in 3 months!

Hi
I have been driving with google street view set to the highest resolution
That must use a lot of data
I think that if I go over routes I have been using then it will be clever and use cached information
Not sure about that yet, we will see
I have also been using Facebook and Twitter a lot
Will post usage every week and we will see
Have gone for all you can eat option for a month so will hammer it even more

Reactions: glospete
I used to love driving the snake pass and the roads around Penistone, no jokes please chaps, I haven't had the pleasure in my 1.4 saloon yet as I now live on congested south coast but I did enjoy my drive up to north Yorkshire at the beginning of may.
The 1.4 is real peach of a engine isn't it?

I found it not as easy as I thought to get the Adaptive Cruise control to work effectively. I know I should have read the manual and that is still on my to do list. I am "learning by doing"
I was very impressed by the way it coped with the bendy Snake Pass from Manchester to Sheffield and did not get confused by the sharp corners, keeping locked onto the car in front.

Ooh. ACC isn't really designed for that sort of road! You're lucky you didn't accelerate rapidly towards a ditch/hedge/cliff !!!!

Switching on the handbrake when you are still slightly moving is a little disconcerting as you rapidly stop.
You should try pulling up on the EPB button travelling at 30mph.
Check no-one is following you, of course !!!

Reactions: JohnM100 and phil1824
That's fine. Most newbies fall into the same trap.

Chances are, if you've got a query, it's already been discussed at length, or someone's answered it before, the normal forum etiquette is to do a search on the topic, with keywords, to see what that brings up.

It just sometimes gets a little tedious seeing the same questions being asked again and again, ad nauseum, so doing a little research first saves this.

This particular forum is friendlier than most, other forums will just mostly snarl "Do a Search" ;)

To do a search - go to the 8V Index Page, Right of the Screen, Click on "Search Forum", type your query in (eg: Pedals fitted) - press search - job done!

The flipside is, of course, that this is a discussion forum, and life would be boring if all the questions had already been answered...... ;)
(but is is tedious seeing the same queries again and again) :)

Reactions: JohnM100

Chances are, if you've got a query, it's already been discussed at length, or someone's answered it before, the normal forum etiquette is to do a search on the topic, with keywords, to see what that brings up.

It just sometimes gets a little tedious seeing the same questions being asked again and again, ad nauseum, so doing a little research first saves this.

This particular forum is friendlier than most, other forums will just mostly snarl "Do a Search" ;)

To do a search - go to the 8V Index Page, Right of the Screen, Click on "Search Forum", type your query in (eg: Pedals fitted) - press search - job done!

Point taken and thanks.

The flipside is, of course, that this is a discussion forum, and life would be boring if all the questions had already been answered...... ;)
(but is is tedious seeing the same queries again and again) :)

Spot on, cheers!!

You should try pulling up on the EPB button travelling at 30mph.
Check no-one is following you, of course !!!

This is actually really sound advice for everyone. It is quite extreme when you do it and good to know what to expect before an occasion when you have to do it for real (which we all hope never happens).

John.

Only if you crash. Could always try at 20 instead.

Normally for an emergency stop you would automatically brace yourself on the steering wheel and also have brake pedal buried in the carpet so you have several points of contact/stability with the car.

Pulling the button you don't automatically have that and only 1 hand on steering wheel, so good to be prepared.

John.

I tried it with mine today on a country lane at 30 with no one around.
I was delighted, with my version of the software etc that there was a Beep and a display "warning parking brake" or similar and no application of the brake.
If you insist on continuing to hold it, then it will brake but not excessively quickly, but would be an issue if there was someone behind.
Don't assume this will happen with yours and don't blame me if it goes wrong...

Only if you crash. Could always try at 20 instead.

Normally for an emergency stop you would automatically brace yourself on the steering wheel and also have brake pedal buried in the carpet so you have several points of contact/stability with the car.

Pulling the button you don't automatically have that and only 1 hand on steering wheel, so good to be prepared.

John.

Reactions: cemerson
I tried it with mine today on a country lane at 30 with no one around.
I was delighted, with my version of the software etc that there was a Beep and a display "warning parking brake" or similar and no application of the brake.
If you insist on continuing to hold it, then it will brake but not excessively quickly, but would be an issue if there was someone behind.
Don't assume this will happen with yours and don't blame me if it goes wrong...

Not much of an emergency brake if it takes that long about it!

I just wonder in what situation it's ever going to be quicker to find and hold the button up that in would be to just stamp on the brake pedal... I guess if a passenger had to use it if the driver is incapacitated somehow.

I think, rather than thinking of it as an "emergency brake" for using in emergency stops.....

it's more of an "emergency" brake (secondary system) - if the hydraulics fail, as the EPB uses electric motors.

Admittedly if you pull the switch while driving along, it applies hydraulic & electric actions, if one were to fail, the other would still provide braking assistance.

100% agree with everyone should try this on an empty road, just to familiarise themselves with it !

Umm, Isn't the handbrake purely for parking and nothing else (aside from drifting but we're talking about public roads here). In an emergency I'm pretty sure you should use your normal brakes. That's what abs is designed for.

Correct me if I'm wrong