SD Sat Nav

faigy90

Reaction score
Hi I have just taken delivery of a new A3 sportback S Line.

Is there a cheaper way of getting the Sd card Nav enabled than paying Audi £500+ ?! E.g buying card off ebay.

Cheers,
Craig

Didnt think so. I've read some stuff on these forums but thought it was bull. Will stick with the trusty tom tom then as £500 + is a rip off.

yes there is- Audi will activate it for £168 (this price may vary dealer to dealer), and you just buy an SD card from ebay (has to be an official Audi one) - I have confirmed this with the dealer- so £210 - £260 TOTAL depending on if you want 2013 or 2014 maps -retrofitting the nav is simple as every A3 has "sd nav preparation"

This really has been discussed at length on multiple threads ( search sd nav ) the general consensus is it's about £500 quid all in. Most garages will charge considerably more for activation.

Still worth asking your dealer how much the activation ALONE is - my dealer quoted £500 for the SD card and £168 for the activation - but obvs I am sourcing the card myself.

Nothing to lose in asking your dealer!

Still worth asking your dealer how much the activation ALONE is - my dealer quoted £500 for the SD card and £168 for the activation - but obvs I am sourcing the card myself.

Nothing to lose in asking your dealer!

Totally agree with you mate, just in general average of £500 inc SD off eBay.

Reactions: seniorjj
The margins must be wafers thin on the SD retro fit - my dealer gave me a 15% off voucher for dealer accessories and in the small print it excludes "SD Sat Nav A1, A3, Q3" and "DVD headrest screen system" which I think is for the Q5/Q7.

I would have got it with 15% off. I got the voucher due to a service issue with my A1 earlier in the year, got to spend it soon but not sure what on.

But then again buying new I'd always have tech pack but that's a different kettle of fish. Just changed my order to tech pack but it's down to the person at the time and what they think

If I could justify £1.5k I would do, but it's just far too much for something which doesn't give incrementally that much function - mainly aesthetic.

The margins must be wafers thin on the SD retro fit - my dealer gave me a 15% off voucher for dealer accessories and in the small print it excludes "SD Sat Nav A1, A3, Q3" and "DVD headrest screen system" which I think is for the Q5/Q7.

I would have got it with 15% off. I got the voucher due to a service issue with my A1 earlier in the year, got to spend it soon but not sure what on.

For the card/maps itself you're probably right- hence why it's £500 for a card. The activation itself is just a code, they will get large margins on that part

For the card/maps itself you're probably right- hence why it's £500 for a card. The activation itself is just a code, they will get large margins on that part

I thought the code came in the box with the SD card? My salesman showed me one that he had been opened and thought that's how it looked. The labour is where they make the money to get it to work I thought, but yes the card it self would have minimal margin.

Who has bought a card off ebay and had it activated by Audi?

Good point, maybe I am mistaken in my assumptions!

Sounds like you need: SD Card + activation code + specific code for the SD card. I think I may have been told wrong info! Sorry guys

it's just an update to the latest map 2014, you must have avtivated sd card unit.....expensive for an update, i have asked them the question regarding already activated units

Yeah seems that way - so is the general price still about £500 all in to get a dealer to do it? (I know this varies!)

If I could justify £1.5k I would do, but it's just far too much for something which doesn't give incrementally that much function - mainly aesthetic.

Its a massive difference in terms of resolution, quality and size. Bit like a iPad or a iPad Retina Again some people don't care / can't see the difference.

Its a massive difference in terms of resolution, quality and size. Bit like a iPad or a iPad Retina Again some people don't care / can't see the difference.

Agreed, and there is the touch pad and DIS lane info & speed camera info. But resolution quality and size are all "look good" things, which I couldn't justify, and didn't want to prioritise over other stuff - obviously is a lot better tho! And a retina iPad is probably only gonna be 30% more than a non retina, whereas in this case it's nearly 200% more.

Reactions: JohnM100
Agreed, and there is the touch pad and DIS lane info & speed camera info. But resolution quality and size are all "look good" things, which I couldn't justify, and didn't want to prioritise over other stuff - obviously is a lot better tho! And a retina iPad is probably only gonna be 30% more than a non retina, whereas in this case it's nearly 200% more.

Yer it's expensive, over priced IMO but the Pioneer sat nav unit (6 years old now) I have in my S3 is same res but smaller screen as tech pack so didn't want step down and tech pack does look awesome.

I'm pretty sure the SD nav does get the DIS stuff as well?

Yer it's expensive, over priced IMO but the Pioneer sat nav unit (6 years old now) I have in my S3 is same res but smaller screen as tech pack so didn't want step down and tech pack does look awesome.

I'm pretty sure the SD nav does get the DIS stuff as well?

Yeah makes sense!! All depends on budget and history etc. Yeah it does most of the DIS stuff but the tech pack has additional lane information apparently

I won't have that unless also pay for an additional driver assist package. Basically everything is an option lol

Oh right I see- i think the test car I drove had active lane assist so hence included it!

FYI spoke to Hatfield Audi who will do the full fit+sd card for £495, same as original price (obvs no discount) - seems reasonable tho

Oh yeah I meant speed limit display :)

I won't have that unless also pay for an additional driver assist package. Basically everything is an option lol

You will get the speed limit of the road you are on, in the MMI Nav, as part of the Tech Pack.
You just won't get it in the DIS, unless you specify other driver assist aids that require the camera :)

And the speed limits shown in the DIS are dynamic i.e. if there are road works or a speed limit has changed the camera actually reads this sign and displays it in the DIS. If there are no signs shown then the system just shows the speed limits shown from the navigation. But to get this system (which is a no-charge option) you must have optioned the Tech Pack (PNQ) and Active Lane Assist (PCB) - else there's no front camera.

Does anyone know if you get any future updates included with SD if retrofitted (or at all?)

I thought you got 2 online updates with SD navigation and 5 updates with Tech Pack. I've seen it written somewhere but not sure where.

EDIT - found it for the Tech Pack navigation from a post by cemmerson:

A3 models with MMI Navigation Plus (Technology packages
PNQ and WB4) built from build week 22 2013 (week starting 27 May) onwards now include a free navigation map update service.

The initially installed mapping always uses the latest available version. This can be updated five times free of charge, with one update released every six months.

How can these updates be completed?
Customers can download the map update from myAudi to an SD card (a 32GB class 10 card is required) and upload it to the car.

The first update will be available from Monday 4 November. Free updates will be available from build week 22 and build week 45 every year until five updates are reached. Further updates are available from £186 recommended retail price including VAT (excluding labour charge) at Centres.

How long will the update take to complete?
It may take up to two hours to upload to the MMI. The update is interrupted if the engine is switched off, but automatically resumes at the same point when the car is restarted.

Last edited:
And the speed limits shown in the DIS are dynamic i.e. if there are road works or a speed limit has changed the camera actually reads this sign and displays it in the DIS. If there are no signs shown then the system just shows the speed limits shown from the navigation. But to get this system (which is a no-charge option) you must have optioned the Tech Pack (PNQ) and Active Lane Assist (PCB) - else there's no front camera.

Yes, they are dynamic, they recognise temporary limits, and the overhead ones for variable limits on motorways too. I find it quite useful, though it isn't infallible.