SD Sat Nav

And the speed limits shown in the DIS are dynamic i.e. if there are road works or a speed limit has changed the camera actually reads this sign and displays it in the DIS. If there are no signs shown then the system just shows the speed limits shown from the navigation. But to get this system (which is a no-charge option) you must have optioned the Tech Pack (PNQ) and Active Lane Assist (PCB) - else there's no front camera.

Shame they can't use the ACC radar as one unit

What do you mean? How are you supposed to use radar to read speed limit signs?

It's behind the rear view mirror as part of the housing that the mirror is attached to. I don't think you'd be able to combine them, the radar is a fairly hefty unit, and the camera needs to be somewhere behind the windscreen wipers so it isn't affected by dirt/bugs.

It's behind the rear view mirror as part of the housing that the mirror is attached to. I don't think you'd be able to combine them, the radar is a fairly hefty unit, and the camera needs to be somewhere behind the windscreen wipers so it isn't affected by dirt/bugs.

Makes sense I guess, if you have reverse camera where is that housed then?

Reverse camera is just next to the boot handle. It definitely is subject to dirt, and water - if it has rained a lot or there is a lot of spray on the road it cane become a bit useless! I tend to give it a bit of a wipe if I open the boot and notice it's dirty.

I'm glad you've brought up the topic of reverse camera.

I have this half baked idea of using the OE reverse camera, to make a kind of in car cam, recording the rear view (I already have a front view in-car cam).

I was thinking of getting a cheapish 12V SD card recorder off eBay, mounting that in the boot, and taking a feed off the OE reverse cam.

Do you know if the cam outputs a video signal on coax ? From ETKA, I see there are 2 cables, I'm guessing power and video. Maybe a PAL type video signal?

Not really sure on that one, but not sure the quality will be good enough to be honest. You aren't going to get numberplates off it.

Really? :(
Shame, I thought that was going to be my route to a rear view recording cam.

Maybe I'll have to investigate a higher res lens and C-MOS in the same housing !

Or just get another dashcam!

Trouble with the reversing camera is that it's designed to make things within about 2m clear, but anything beyond that gets very small in the view very quickly... and normal driving distance is a long way back from the 2m point!