Volks AutosJMB Retrofits
Like Tree5Likes
  • 3 Post By Joetidman
  • 2 Post By steverobertsbbc

Thread: Cable under drivers seat

Neutral

Status

Cable under drivers seat

Hi, while searching for a macdonalds chip that fell in beneath the drivers seat, I noticed a chunky insulated electrical cable coming up through the floor and directly into the underside of the drivers seat. Can anyone help me understand what this is for?

For a minute I thought it could be an additional sub woofer under the seat, but having b&o I think the only sub is in the boot. I don't have heated seats.

Thanks
    Using Tapatalk

2. # ADS
    ADS

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by PDA3 View Post
    Hi, while searching for a macdonalds chip that fell in beneath the drivers seat, I noticed a chunky insulated electrical cable coming up through the floor and directly into the underside of the drivers seat. Can anyone help me understand what this is for?

For a minute I thought it could be an additional sub woofer under the seat, but having b&o I think the only sub is in the boot. I don't have heated seats.

Thanks
    Do you have electrically adjusting seats?

Neutral

Status
    No, just an s-line with b&o, tech pack, etc, no electric seats
    Using Tapatalk

limboitis

Status
    heated seats?
    +incoming (64/Sep 1st) S3 (300) Sportback S-Tronic Quattro Daytona Grey
    -outgoing (63) A5 2.0TDI (177) Coupe Black Edition S-Tronic Quattro Phantom Black

VCDS Location: NI (County Antrim)
    - (62) A1 1.6TDI (105) Sport Manual Sportback Brilliant Black
    - (62) S3 (265) Sportback Black Edition S-Tronic Quattro Phantom Black

- (58) TT Roadster 3.2 V6 (250) S-Tronic Quattro Phantom Black

Neutral

Status
    Nope... Unless there is electric lumbar support (think that's standard but never used it) but seems to be a thick cable just for that.
    Using Tapatalk

3rd Gear

Status

Thanks
    Sorry you were eating a Macdonalds in your car ?!?!
    S3 Saloon S-Tronic. Panther Black. Tech Pack, Super-sports seats, LED Lights, Comfort pack with Adaptive Cruise and parking plus, Folding mirrors, Bang and Olufsen Sound System, Interior Light Pack, Hill Hold Assist, Privacy glass, Tyre sensor, Boot Mat (Countdown Thread)

Previously 2.0TSi VW Scirocco

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Joetidman View Post
    Sorry you were eating a Macdonalds in your car ?!?!
    I know can you believe it! I managed to last over a month tho!
    Using Tapatalk

Neutral

Status
    It's there as an anti-depreciation device for the rest of us. If you start having thoughts about lowering the suspension 50mm, wiring your foglights to be permanently on or adding a subwoofer the size of Wales into the boot, it automatically sends 10KV up through your arse and re-educates you. :P
    cemerson and snakehips like this.

limboitis

Status
    Nope... Unless there is electric lumbar support (think that's standard but never used it) but seems to be a thick cable just for that.
    also need a seatbelt sensor, so perhaps the electric lumbar + seatbelt = the loom you describe?
    +incoming (64/Sep 1st) S3 (300) Sportback S-Tronic Quattro Daytona Grey
    -outgoing (63) A5 2.0TDI (177) Coupe Black Edition S-Tronic Quattro Phantom Black

VCDS Location: NI (County Antrim)
    - (62) A1 1.6TDI (105) Sport Manual Sportback Brilliant Black
    - (62) S3 (265) Sportback Black Edition S-Tronic Quattro Phantom Black

- (58) TT Roadster 3.2 V6 (250) S-Tronic Quattro Phantom Black

3rd Gear

Status
    I know can you believe it! I managed to last over a month tho!
    Only water allowed in mine (at most) although I admit as a result I haven't seen the wire under my seat
    S3 Saloon S-Tronic. Panther Black. Tech Pack, Super-sports seats, LED Lights, Comfort pack with Adaptive Cruise and parking plus, Folding mirrors, Bang and Olufsen Sound System, Interior Light Pack, Hill Hold Assist, Privacy glass, Tyre sensor, Boot Mat (Countdown Thread)

Previously 2.0TSi VW Scirocco

1st Gear

Status
    It will be the airbag
    Audi A3 Sportback S line 1.8 TFSI S tronic - Scuba Blue
    Technology package - High with Audi Connect/Interior lighting package/Driver assistance package/Light and rain sensor package/Adaptive Xenon Plus headlights with variable range control/Advanced key/Aluminum roof rails/Audi pre sense/Auto-dimming rear-view mirror/Bang & Olufsen/Door mirrors-dimming, electrically adjustable,folding and heated/Heated seats/Audi side assist/Audi active lane assist/Rear side airbags/Tyre pressure loss indicator

2nd Gear

Status
    If no heated or electric seats then will be the cables for the airbag and possibly seat occupancy sensor (for seatbelt warning light)

Electric lumbar support is not standard in most countries but is a build option.

John.

P.S. I bet that even after a month, that McDonalds fry didn't have any mould on it and looks as new as ever. That statement sums up its nutritional value if even mould won't grow on it.....
    Enjoying my 8V

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyM100 View Post
    If no heated or electric seats then will be the cables for the airbag and possibly seat occupancy sensor (for seatbelt warning light)

Electric lumbar support is not standard in most countries but is a build option.

John.

P.S. I bet that even after a month, that McDonalds fry didn't have any mould on it and looks as new as ever. That statement sums up its nutritional value if even mould won't grow on it.....
    John, the fry was removed literally on impact, don't want you thinking I would dare leave it there for a month!
    Using Tapatalk

Neutral

Status
    Thanks all, so seatbelt and airbag control. My mind can rest!
    Using Tapatalk

2nd Gear

Status
    Fair enough. Glad to hear of the prompt recovery of the fry.

I see a cluster of responses within seconds of each other with a consensus on airbag and seat occupancy sensor.
    Enjoying my 8V

6th Gear

Status
    There are airbags in the seat? What are they for, to fire you through the windscreen in the event of an impact?

I doubt it'll be for seatbelt sensor on the drivers seat... it's pretty safe to assume that there is a driver if the car is moving!
    Sport 2.0 TDI 150 Sportback in Scuba Blue, alcantara/leather, advanced key, audi sound system, comfort pack w/ ACC and park assist, deselect sports suspension, auto-dimming & folding door mirrors, electric lumbar support, heated seats, hold assist, non-smoking pack, side & lane assist, reversing camera, storage & luggage pack, tech pack with audi connect, tyre pressure warning, towbar, variable headlight range control, xenon light pack

6th Gear

Status
    Lumbar Support seems the most likely explanation to me
    Sport 2.0 TDI 150 Sportback in Scuba Blue, alcantara/leather, advanced key, audi sound system, comfort pack w/ ACC and park assist, deselect sports suspension, auto-dimming & folding door mirrors, electric lumbar support, heated seats, hold assist, non-smoking pack, side & lane assist, reversing camera, storage & luggage pack, tech pack with audi connect, tyre pressure warning, towbar, variable headlight range control, xenon light pack

Neutral

Status
    I just popped out the car and can't even find the lumbar support button, so not sure if it's electric or not....didn't spec it as an extra tho.
    Using Tapatalk

6th Gear

Status
    It's standard with leather seats I think (or at least it requires you to spec it... could be wrong though). It's a round, 4 way control if you have it, right down the side of the seat at the front.

5th Gear

Status
    So electric lumbar is standard with leather seats then? Wasn't aware of that

5th Gear

Status
    Seatbelt buckle switch
    Torso airbags (pyrotechnic)

Speaking of pyrotechnics - have you noticed the (yellow label) pyrotechnics at the bottom of the bonnet hinges

edit:
    Seatbelt pre tensioner in this car is in the inertia reel, not buckle.
    Last edited by veeeight; 6th June 2014 at 18:47.

S3 8V 3DR DSG ACC ABS ADS AMI ASR ASS DAB DBW DIS DRL EBA EBD EDL EGR EPB EPS ESP GPS LED MFSW MMI PDC PSF RAC SDXC TFSI CO2 EEC OTR WTF OMG

6th Gear

Status
    I could be wrong on that!

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by The Challinor View Post
    So electric lumbar is standard with leather seats then? Wasn't aware of that
    No, lumbar is not standard with standard or sports seats

Electric lumbar is standard with SS seats though

S3 8V 3DR DSG ACC ABS ADS AMI ASR ASS DAB DBW DIS DRL EBA EBD EDL EGR EPB EPS ESP GPS LED MFSW MMI PDC PSF RAC SDXC TFSI CO2 EEC OTR WTF OMG

6th Gear

Status
    Ah no, it's the storage and luggage pack I'm thinking of!

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by veeeight View Post
    No, lumbar is not standard with standard or sports seats

Electric lumbar is standard with SS seats though
    Thought so, just checked brochure.

Full electric seats in the 8l S3 as standard, no such love for 8P or 8V

6th Gear

Status
    I'm kind of glad about that (from an A3 perspective). Electric seats would be useful if they had a memory function with some buttons, but instead it saves it to the key which is useless to me! Other than the memory function, electric seats aren't actually very useful, they are just slower...

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by cemerson View Post
    There are airbags in the seat? What are they for, to fire you through the windscreen in the event of an impact?
    They're side impact airbags; they fire out of the side bolsters, rather than out of the seat cushion.
    S3 (8V) S-Tronic Estoril Blue; A3 2.0TFSI S-Line quattro, Dolphin Grey [sold]

6th Gear

Status
    Oh, thought those would come from the side of the car! Guess that's what the cable is for then. The seatbelt stuff would be in the seatbelt socket (unsurprisingly), not the seat!

5th Gear

Status
    I'm kind of glad about that (from an A3 perspective). Electric seats would be useful if they had a memory function with some buttons, but instead it saves it to the key which is useless to me! Other than the memory function, electric seats aren't actually very useful, they are just slower...
    Your keyless I take it haha

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by The Challinor View Post
    Your keyless I take it haha
    Yes, but that doesn't make a difference to that functionality!

AJB
    1st Gear

Status
    Oh, thought those would come from the side of the car! Guess that's what the cable is for then. The seatbelt stuff would be in the seatbelt socket (unsurprisingly), not the seat!
    Yes, but the seatbelt socket is normally attached to the seat so that it goes backwards and forwards with the seat and stays in the right place. So, the wire to the switch in the socket will go up into the seat, along with the side airbag wiring.