Lots of new things to try!

cemerson

Reaction score
My car is with Audi Nottingham at the moment to try and nail this handbrake release issue, so they've given me a hire car in the meantime. It's a 1.4 Saloon S-Tronic which is all new to me! Saloon is quite nice but I'm glad I stuck with the Sportback to be honest... just been away for a week camping and managed to get everything in the boot with the parcel shelf in (just!), don't think I'd have managed with this!

S-Tronic is very smooth, I like it. Bit of a delay when you put your foot down to overtake but I'm sure it's something you get used to.

The 1.4 engine is very impressive. I have no idea which version I've got - COD or not - anyone know how I can find out? There's nothing about 2 cylinder mode appearing on the DIS. Reg is FP63 RXA if it helps...

Other than that, the spec is very basic - they only appear to have chosen the comfort pack. I'm glad I have the tech pack in mine, the screen in standard res looks very dated and belongs about 5 years ago. Would have been good to try ACC with S-Tronic though, but can't have everything!

Reactions: warren_S5
Cheers, I thought it might be. It's quite impressive really the power that you get, but you don't get the nice bootful of torque that the diesel gives you! I managed 40mpg on the way in today, normally 50 in my 2.0 TDI.

Have you worked out that when you put your foot to the floor you can actually then push it further down over a click stop and it clicks into kickdown?

Also knock the stick back and it changes from D into S mode. Took me days to find that. :D

Last edited:
As the boot is bigger than the sportback, with the parcel shelf in place, some 45 litres, I would have though it would pack more in. Also, all the 1.4 saloons are COD. I can get between 50 and 60mpg from mine on a run, not booting it of course, depending on the average mph...

Last edited:
Yeh, but the opening isn't as useful, makes it harder to get the bigger stuff in.

Have you worked out that when you put your foot to the floor you can actually then push it further down over a click stop and it clicks into kickdown?

Also knock the stick back and it changes from D into S mode. Took me days to find that. :D

Yeh, I know about the kickdown, and knew about the S mode but find it weird that you'd have to do that just to overtake. Maybe I should use the paddles to knock it down a couple of gears before I overtake? I'll try on the way home. I only have the car for a day so not a lot of chance to try these things out! I think I'd probably order S-Tronic next time though, it's very smooth. Much better than the multitronic A6 I had last time!

Yeh, but the opening isn't as useful, makes it harder to get the bigger stuff in.

That is always the difference between the two and not really what I understood from your first post. I always buy a car to fit the purpose in which I intend to use it and as I don't have the need to put a washing machine in the back of mine, just a suitcase or two, then the saloon is, aside from being better looking ;-), perfect for my use. As a sportback is for yours...

Indeed. Though I disagree that it's better looking, it looks too boxy for me! Can see the appeal though.

Reactions: alistairm1
Maybe I should use the paddles to knock it down a couple of gears before I overtake? I'll try on the way home.

Thought you had been quiet ! Been away !

Yes, pre-selecting the gear with the paddles is the "best" way to anticipate an overtake.

You can mash the throttle into the kickdown switch, but I find this kicksdown into too low a gear, then its almost immediately in the red line, and has to change up.

Or if you push the throttle 100% but not activate the switch, the priority of the DSG box is to give you the smoothest change (not the fastest), so will "slip" the clutches, so sounds like the change is delayed. But if you watch the speedo, the speed will actually be increasing, it will just sound like its not going anywhere.

By far the best way is to pre-select the gear you want to overtake in, using the paddles or the stick.

Another tip for the "quickest changes":
To ensure a quick upshift - pull the RHS paddle WHIILST accelerating
To ensure a quick downshift - pull the LHS paddle WHILST decelerating, foot OFF the throttle.
This will give the "quickest" shifts.

If you try and downshift while accelerating, the DSG will have already preselected a higher gear, so will have to undo that to give you a lower gear.

Have fun! :)

Reactions: JohnM100, cemerson and steverobertsbbc