Technology Package

glospete

Reaction score
I have a question about the Technology package. I have ordered this on my new 1.4TFSI and one of the features I wanted was the ability to add my own POIs such as speed cameras as well as other locations. But reading the Audi Connect (my Audi) Operating Manual on the my.audi.com website I am not sure if this feature is only available with the "Technology Package with Mobile telephone preparation - High with Audi Connect" option. Could anyone who has either of these options on their A3 please clarify? Also does the map update feature work with either option?

I have the Tech Pack without Connect and there is no option to add POIs I'm afraid.

I'd debate the usefulness of adding speed cameras anyway as they'd only appear on the map display - there'd be no other warning that they were approaching.

I have the Tech Pack without Connect and there is no option to add POIs I'm afraid.

I'd debate the usefulness of adding speed cameras anyway as they'd only appear on the map display - there'd be no other warning that they were approaching.

So is your model earlier than MY14 as the post above seems to disagree with your comment.

Yes, mine's a very early car so it's quite possible that what veeeight said is true and newer cars can accept user POIs, even without Connect.

Thanks veeeight and Vertigo1 for that. A related question - if I order the Technology Package High with Audi Connect I read that if I want to connect via Bluetooth I need a phone with SIM Access Profile, but iPhones do not support this. So do I then need to have a separate data SIM card to use Google Maps etc and if so can I still use my iPhone for mobile phone calls? I must say I never thought that this feature would be quite so complicated!

That sounds better - thanks again. Can you give me any idea of the amount of data you use in a month using the SIM card for Audi Connect. I've asked on another thread to see if I can decide whether PAYG or monthly contract is better.

Reactions: phil1824
I use pre-paid EE data-only SIM cards on my iPad - they're about £16 for 6GB, valid for 90 days which is pretty cheap if you ask me. My next A3 will likely have the Connect option and I'll go the same way for that I think.

I use pre-paid EE data-only SIM cards on my iPad - they're about £16 for 6GB, valid for 90 days which is pretty cheap if you ask me. My next A3 will likely have the Connect option and I'll go the same way for that I think.
I've just changed my order to the Audi Connect version of the Technology Package so will look into the EE data-only SIM cards Thanks for your tip!

The Three PAYG 1p-per-mb get a good writeup. Depends how much you'll use it I suppose

The Three PAYG 1p-per-mb get a good writeup. Depends how much you'll use it I suppose
I have gone for the above for the UK. Should get the car late June and will post how much I use then.
I am aiming to be on the Continent, Belgium,France, Germany Switzerland in August for a few weeks and the data roaming costs are horrendous. Any suggestions as to European Sim deals that I can buy from the UK would be very welcome. I guess this is a problem many people have had and sorted?? Fingers crossed. e.g. the one pence per meg Three deal in the UK is 45 p per meg on the continent.

That would be really useful. But don't forget that roaming costs are to drop from 1 July 2014 because of a ruling by the EU (IMO one of the few good things to come out of Brussels!). For example even those not on a package will pay no more than 16.5p per MG with EE.

Reactions: phil1824

I did a search for EE Data Only SIM and only found 3GB for £16 - do you have a link for the 6GB for £16?

Screen Shot 2014 05 27 at 020311 pm

You do have to register it yes. On my iPad, this basically consists of putting the SIM in then trying to browse to a website, at which point it will redirect you to the EE site where you just register with your basic details, then you're up and running.

How this would work in the car I'm not sure. One option is to do the above in another device like a phone or tablet then, once activated, transfer the SIM to the car.

If this isn't possible then I'm not sure if it could be done in the car itself. If you put the SIM into the car, then used the Wifi hotspot function to connect a phone or tablet, then tried to browse through the Wifi and the SIM, I'd assume it would do the same thing and take you to the EE website to register. Don't quote me on that though as I can't try it myself.

Got to be worth a shot for £16 though :)

Doesn't sound too difficult so as you say it's worth a shot. Thanks.