Service plans, paint protection, etc worth ordering for a new s3?

SockToy

Reaction score
So a couple things...

Cobra Tracker... I guess not if taking gap insurance?

Anyone used GardX? ... some kind of paint coating. 500 quid. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3622mZXTC8&feature=youtu.be

Was thinking of maybe taking it, and then going for a professional detail.

Also considering getting the 5 year warranty and Audi Complete Service & Maintenance. Any thoughts?

Cheers ;-p Want to get back to my dealer shortly and add it all on, where the hivemind thinks its worthwhile ;-p

I have the Gardx only because the dealer done it for free

Service plans are probably a good idea. The service interval is about 18K miles depending on how you drive, but with the service plan you get yearly oil changes etc if you want them.

Gap insurance probably not worth the money, certainly not in the first year when most policies will replace the car anyhow, and after that there are much better deals to be found by other insurers.

Paint sealant definitely NOT worth the money. They will try very hard to push that on you because they make a massive profit on it. I did it myself for £30 and four hours worth of elbow grease using this stuff: Nano Series Home Application Sealant Kit NS-Kit Absolutely gleams and beads beautifully in the wet.

Reactions: Cleggy70
Heh ok. So dont pay 500 for GardX ;-p got it ;-p

Do I get the service plan direct from Audi, or from the dealer?

Don't get the guard x, or autoglym or anything offered, just buy carbon collective platinum paint coating and that's only £40! Easy applied and lasts at least a year! Or ever better do as I do, have it professionally detailed and protected by experts for £200 less than Audi charge ;)

I got service plan from Audi, £400 for 3 years is no brainer really.

I had lifeshine on current S3 and it's ok, never claimed but like any protection it only lasts a few months, etc. I'd not bother with any paint protection plan again, like people on here professional detailing around £200 or DIY.

GAP - yes but not from Audi, few companies offering it 50% cheaper.

Last edited:
Interesting. The service plan listed for the s3 appears to be 23 a month... 400 for 4 years is amazing. Where did you find that?

Right now I am thinking I get the car, the 5 year warranty, and that's it. Gap insurance from a third party. Maybe sign up for the audi Ensurance thing. Ask the dealer to enable the ACC menu before I drive off.

Anyone recommend any detailers near central London or macclesfield? Anything else that's a 'must do' for the new car? ;-p

Reactions: phil1824
I had the GardX applied as they threw it in for free. Wish I hadn't now as it has left white spots all over the car. It came with a pack with some Rejuvenating solution that attracts to the Gardx to renew it's repellency. Did this the other day only for the white spots to re-appear. Bit like washing a car, rinsing it down and leaving to dry, white marks all over the car. Not good!!

Interesting. The service plan listed for the s3 appears to be 23 a month... 400 for 4 years is amazing. Where did you find that?

Right now I am thinking I get the car, the 5 year warranty, and that's it. Gap insurance from a third party. Maybe sign up for the audi Ensurance thing. Ask the dealer to enable the ACC menu before I drive off.

Anyone recommend any detailers near central London or macclesfield? Anything else that's a 'must do' for the new car? ;-p

It's in the brochure towards the end, just before the warranty prices.

Would not get gap from audi as mentioned. You can get back to invoice for £100 from ALA. Would also not bother with superguard ect. Overrated and car will not be properly prepared for it to bond to topcoat anyway. So effectively any defects will just be sealed in. Best off purchasing some decent car care goodies and going it yourself.

Just checked page 80 of the brochure. S3 Sportback is £20 per month for 3 years = £720......
:unsure:

pudyveny.jpg
qudyje6u.jpg

Hmm maybe they stopped it, not surprised as it's was loads cheaper then the one you've quoted. Luckily it's on my order form and it's been accepted. Sorry for crude photos, just taken them now.

I got the lot, service plan, scratch and dent cover, GuardX etc, mostly because I couldn't be bothered with doing it myself or getting a detailer to do it and wanted my pride and joy covered and insured as best I could. I got GAP off the net though, I thought Audi's was a rip off.

I must say, pretty impressed so far, no issues, like folk have mentioned here, and as I got the service plan with tyres, I reckon I'll save about £1500 over 3 years as a result (based on my likely high tyre usage ;))

I got the dealer to throw in the GAP for free so no issues on that front.

Apparently the GuardX/scratch/dent thing is only about £200 now... anyone know any different?

So a couple things...

Cobra Tracker... I guess not if taking gap insurance?

Anyone used GardX? ... some kind of paint coating. 500 quid. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3622mZXTC8&feature=youtu.be

Was thinking of maybe taking it, and then going for a professional detail.

Also considering getting the 5 year warranty and Audi Complete Service & Maintenance. Any thoughts?

Cheers ;-p Want to get back to my dealer shortly and add it all on, where the hivemind thinks its worthwhile ;-p

I didn't bother with any of that.
Audi pile on their commission with almost every 'add on' they sell. GAP is a good example of that. I'd never buy Audi GAP again, it's way too expensive and actually offers a lot less than other policies out there. The one time I did take Audi GAP, it was offered to me free as part of the deal and I actually claimed on it when the car was stolen. LOL! I've had trackers on previous cars and nowadays don't bother. It's a false economy if you have GAP cover, which is a no-brainer really. As for Audi's service plans - I discovered a while a go that it works out cheaper to pay as you go, although can understand why it may be easier or better for some to have a fixed payment plan as it enables you to budget more effectively. Trust me though, it IS cheaper to pay as you go! I think as you're paying for each service, as opposed to just signing a piece of paper, they are less prone to trying to shaft you on unnecessary or overtly expensive maintenance work... I've done the math with both my last two Audis and in both cases, it worked out cheaper not to take the fixed service plans that were offered to me when I purchased the vehicles.

My dealer gave me the Autoglym protection stuff for free on collection day. Got to apply it myself but it doesn't look hard to do.

If they can just hand it out that easily then it can't be very valuable. To kit includes some microfibre cloths and two solutions. That's it.

I got quoted £13 a month for Audi Complete Service Only in November 2014 ....and that's without me haggling. I intend to get it cheaper when I go in to discuss it :)