What screenwash do you use?

Migwire

Reaction score
Man alive! My windscreen is getting absolutely peppered with insects, more so than my focus ever did, and I've tried several different screenwash's and none of them seem to be able to lift insect sap at the recommended dilution. Currently using Halfords concentrate and not even that is shifting it..... Auto Express recommended Halfords double concentrate but they don't have it in.

I have einszett Kristall Klar. General view seems to be either this or the genuine Audi stuff.

I normally use the Audi screenwash but even that is not very good at removing the insects. To do that I use a hand-held spray of TurtleWax ClearVue Glass Clean and an e-cloth. It seems no amount of just using the wipers will shift them.

The most effect system I've found without getting out of the car is a thunderstorm! One year whilst driving back from Germany I had already had to stop a couple of times to clean the screen but then it got darker and just through it down with rain. It cleaned the screen and when I stopped for fuel I noticed it had cleaned all the insects off the front of the car as well.

Reactions: Migwire
A practical on demand solution, then :D

Reactions: Migwire and s3_trev
Just a note to anyone with young children - DO NOT BUY the Halfords scented screen washes. They smell like fruit drinks and I just managed to catch my 6 year old in time as he was about to take a swig of it in the garage! I simply can not believe how Halfords came up with it - there's some proper idiots working in Marketing these days... my complaint to Halfords fell on death ears. Sooner or later, I can see a disaster occurring and then they might listen when they're sued for thousands and splattered all over Watchdog!

A practical on demand solution, then :D

No which is why I use the TurtleWax Glass Cleaner when there is no thunderstorm handy. But the thunderstorm does make a better job because cleans the front of the car as well as the screen. There is just never one around when you want one :)

Reactions: SockToy and J6YAK
Just a note to anyone with young children - DO NOT BUY the Halfords scented screen washes. They smell like fruit drinks and I just managed to catch my 6 year old in time as he was about to take a swig of it in the garage! I simply can not believe how Halfords came up with it - there's some proper idiots working in Marketing these days... my complaint to Halfords fell on death ears. Sooner or later, I can see a disaster occurring and then they might listen when they're sued for thousands and splattered all over Watchdog!

I'd be surprised if he managed to swallow it if he'd not been caught mind. It contains Bitrex exactly for this reason. It's so bitter they'd instantly (one would hope) spit it out.

So I'm not alone in being plagued by insect sap? Good..... Thought I was becoming majorly ocd for a moment.

On the same topic, any recommendations for screenwashes that leave minimal residue on the roof when it dries?

I find the VAG / Audi screen wash very good as leaves minimal residue if used fairly neat. When I have mixed it with water, I use filtered (as live in hard water area) and this does make a big difference.

Having a few layers of windscreen rain repellent helps too as the bugs don't stick as bad / easier to get off.

Last edited:
I got my screenwash off eBay at bulbrisbane on eBay I have no affiliation to this seller except as a satisfied customer.

Would tend to agree with Dave R that no screenwash will remove all of the bugs. I use Gtechniq G6 Perfect Glass cleaner, which is effective.

I find the VAG screen wash very good as leaves minimal residue if used fairly neat. When I have mixed it with water, I use filtered (as live in hard water area) and this does make a big difference.

Having a few layers of windscreen rain repellent helps too as the bugs don't stick as bad / easier to get off.

I also use Simonz Mixra Screen cleaner to get rid of smearing on the screen and find it works very well.

I also use Simonz Mixra Screen cleaner to get rid of smearing on the screen and find it works very well.

Yeah that's good stuff. It's a shame the Audi stuff needs some playing with to get it to work as well.

I use the genuine Audi stuff as well, anyone know how big the tank is?

According to the Owner's Manual the capacity of the Windscreen washer container is 3.1 litres or 4.7 litres if the car has a headlamp washer system.

I use the Audi stuff as most others I've seen are some horrible pink or blue colour, which then leaves pink or blue streaks down the sides of your car. As for insects, wipers are just not very good at removing them, glass cleaner or even just plain water at a petrol station will soften them up enough to wipe off with a cloth though.