Audi Aftersales Evening

h5djr

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
I have just spent a couple of hours at my dealers for what was called an Aftersales Evening. It was held in the workshop with drinks and food and a lot of the staff and technicians available to answer any questions. There were also quite a number of different new cars in the workshop. When I received the invitation I replied asking if they would be able, whilst I was there, to enable the extra ACC menu which allows you to set the default distance. When I arrived I spoke to one of the Master Techs I know and he drove my car into the workshop and used a special laptop and a dongle in the OCD port to connect the car to Audi in Germany. He was quite happy for me to watch the process.

He said this is now the way most changes are made these days. The first thing the system did was to check my car for any faults. There were none. He then used the software on the laptop to go through various menus and just select the item to enable this function and job done. He also said that if any changes have been made to the original car software settings since it left the factory, say by using VCDS, these will be listed on the screen but not changed. If the Engine Management has been changed at all it registers the TD1 code and warns the technician not to do any warranty work on certain parts of the car, like engine, clutch and brakes without first referring it to Audi. He did say most minor software changes are ignored but they are recorded against the car's VIN number.

Also if for example a car comes in to have a tow bar fitted the same system is used. Once it is fitted and the car is again connected to the system it automatically changes all the necessary settings like rear parking sensors to accommodate the tow bar and they don't have to make any changes themselves. All very high tech :)

He then took the car to the wash bay for a free wash and valet. When I left I was given a 'goodie' bag with an Audi mug, some chocolates and some vouchers for 10% and 20% off any accessories. A pleasant and useful evening.

Reactions: Cleggy70, Sandra, DAYTONA 500 and 4 others
Very jealous! Sounds like a good evening. What Audi dealer was this. How did you get the invite.

Lovely to hear. I am picking up a Build 22 Audi later in June. Do you have any insight as to whether this menu will now be available as a default or should I ask the dealership to enable it as part of the work they do prior to releasing the car?
Phil

Very jealous! Sounds like a good evening. What Audi dealer was this. How did you get the invite.

It was Huntingdon Audi and I got this particular invite when I collected my new A3 although they do hold one approximately every six months and I have been to three now. They said tonight that their next one would in in November.

Lovely to hear. I am picking up a Build 22 Audi later in June. Do you have any insight as to whether this menu will now be available as a default or should I ask the dealership to enable it as part of the work they do prior to releasing the car?
Phil

It's not available as the default and the Owner's Manual just says on page 122 that Distance 3 (50m) is the default and if you would like to change the default you can have the ACC menu activated by a qualified workshop.

The other distances are Distance 1 - 28m, Distance 2 - 36m and Distance 4 - 67m. You can change between the distance using the control lever on the top of the cruise control lever but it will always return to the default Distance 3 setting automatically when the ignition is turned on.

Perhaps you should ask your dealer to 'enable' it before you collect the car. It only takes around 10 minutes in total.

Reactions: phil1824
Phil

It's never done by default, you have to ask for it. It's worth asking if they'll do it as part of the PDI, they might as well while they have your car there!

Will do..
Will print off your advice!! Another success from the Forum.. Many thanks
Phil

It's not available as the default and the Owner's Manual just says on page 122 that Distance 3 (50m) is the default and if you would like to change the default you can have the ACC menu activated by a qualified workshop.

The other distances are Distance 1 - 28m, Distance 2 - 36m and Distance 4 - 67m. You can change between the distance using the control lever on the top of the cruise control lever but it will always return to the default Distance 3 setting automatically when the ignition is turned on.

Perhaps you should ask your dealer to 'enable' it before you collect the car. It only takes around 10 minutes in total.

Are your settings listed as distances? That's very strange, in mine it lists it in terms of time, which makes much more sense (and is how my system works - you get a greater distance at greater speeds). I think they are 1.2, 1.5, 1.8 and 2.something seconds.

Not a bad evening all for free :). It would be nice to attend one in the future. No way they would've been washing my car though :p. Think of all the swirl marks :undwech:

Are your settings listed as distances? That's very strange, in mine it lists it in terms of time, which makes much more sense (and is how my system works - you get a greater distance at greater speeds). I think they are 1.2, 1.5, 1.8 and 2.something seconds.

In the Manual they are listed as both, in metres and in secs, both at 100km/h
Distance 1 - 28m / 1 second
Distance 2 - 36m / 1.3 seconds
Distance 3 - 50m / 1.8 seconds
Distance 4 - 67m / 2.4 seconds

The Master Tech I was talking to is the same one that I mentioned about your find about the fuse position to get the 12v sockets live at all times. He said they have used that on quite a few A3s where owners have asked about the sockets and he said for me to pass on his thanks to you.

Not a bad evening all for free :). It would be nice to attend one in the future. No way they would've been washing my car though :p. Think of all the swirl marks :undwech:

In my case it's either done by them or by the local automatic car wash. Both are fine as far as I'm concerned. The car being Silver helps :)

Reactions: MA3RC
In the Manual they are listed as both, in metres and in secs, both at 100km/h
Distance 1 - 28m / 1 second
Distance 2 - 36m / 1.3 seconds
Distance 3 - 50m / 1.8 seconds
Distance 4 - 67m / 2.4 seconds

The Master Tech I was talking to is the same one that I mentioned about your find about the fuse position to get the 12v sockets live at all times. He said they have used that on quite a few A3s where owners have asked about the sockets and he said for me to pass on his thanks to you.

Ah, that makes sense - yeh, those are the same times as mine, recognise them now!

Talking of the sockets, I was going to check to see if the USB charging socket (with Phonebox/Connect) is covered by the same fuse, but never got around to it. Must remember to do that!

It was Huntingdon Audi and I got this particular invite when I collected my new A3 although they do hold one approximately every six months and I have been to three now. They said tonight that their next one would in in November.

Lol. I just ordered stuff from their eBay shop today!

Wonder how you get on the 'extended' invite list...?

And will they cater for older models?

Wonder how you get on the 'extended' invite list...?

And will they cater for older models?

I'm sure if you were to drop them an email saying you had noticed on the forum that they hold these type of events, together with the fact that you live in Cambridgeshire, I would think they would be happy to include you on their list.