Annoying stone chips on front of bonnet...

arad85

Reaction score
Yes, I have one. Approx 3mm x 5mm - only through the top coat, not damaged the undercoat. Anyone got any good pointers to touch-up techniques and/or which paint to use? Daytona Grey if that matters......

Yes, I have one. Approx 3mm x 5mm - only through the top coat, not damaged the undercoat. Anyone got any good pointers to touch-up techniques and/or which paint to use? Daytona Grey if that matters......

Check out chipex. I was really sceptical about this system but does offer a really good substitute to a full respray. Super easy to do - not much effort for pretty good results.

Watch the video on their website as this explains how it works very well. Car touch up paint - colour match guaranteed

Reactions: andy203, arad85 and Louay
Cocktail stick.

And yes, Chipex. They have a sale on right now!

Reactions: arad85 and Pulp84
Thanks for the very quick responses :)

How long does the paint stay liquid for? Is it worth getting the 75ml bottle (to cover the next few years) or will it go hard after a few months and you'll need to buy new again? I only have 2 minor marks at the moment....

Thanks for the very quick responses :)

How long does the paint stay liquid for? Is it worth getting the 75ml bottle (to cover the next few years) or will it go hard after a few months and you'll need to buy new again? I only have 2 minor marks at the moment....

It does dry out over time. Would say you have a good 5 minutes to use the special fluid to wipe off the excess. I find the technique they show a bit excessive - a big dab on the chip works well. So, a small bottle should last a while.

I'm hoping to a prevent this sort of thing with stone chip protection film. Shame it costs £500! :blink:

Reactions: arad85
+1 for chipex. I was also sceptical but it worked wonders for me. I tried a cocktail stick with a traditional touch up kit but I kept bubbling the paint. Frustrating times. Chipex left a smooth clean coat :) 10/10

It does dry out over time. Would say you have a good 5 minutes to use the special fluid to wipe off the excess.
Not sure if we are talking at cross purposes here... I meant does the bottle of paint dry up over time. No point spending extra for the big bottle if the next time I come to use it, it has gone solid.... Having said that, it's only a tenner....

Ordered the large... Was £2 more than the medium which was the alternative I was looking at....

I have around 10.000 miles and I have already like 30 stone chips while doing almost only motorways, I think the paint is complete sh*t but Audi refuses to do anything ...

I have around 10.000 miles and I have already like 30 stone chips while doing almost only motorways, I think the paint is complete sh*t but Audi refuses to do anything ...

I'm with you on that one, I have 3 on a 2 month old A3... I had 1 on my previous 3 year old Fiesta. You could even hear stones pinging on the bonnet without the slightest of scratches! Dread to think what my Audi will look like in 2 years

it will probably need a respray. I'll try to contact Audi to see if they can do something. I know someone that had his bonnet resprayed with the same problem for free

I'm starting to get a bit peeved with this. I now have 5 chips on the bonnet, using the paint/laq and getting a decent finish but what is up with the paint?
My old A3 had maybe 2-3 chips in 7 years! I'm driving at a further distance than I normally do after I had the first 2 chips and yet getting more, even one on the drivers door!
I believe the bonnet is aluminium so at least shouldn't rust but at this rate even though there is a distance of 6 cars between me and the person in front by his time next year I'll be wanting a respray.
Are others suffering?

Last edited:
A distance of 2 cars? That's nothing! Sounds like your are driving stupidly close to the person in front!

A distance of 2 cars? That's nothing! Sounds like your are driving stupidly close to the person in front!

I'll amend that, was thinking its actually nothing like 2 cars ( which is ridiculous as you say) it would be at least 4 saloons if not more on 30 mph road and on motorway .... Maybe 6-8 cars. Even more distance than used to drive and didn't have many on old car.

Last edited:
I'm starting to get a bit peeved with this. I now have 5 chips on the bonnet, using the paint/laq and getting a decent finish but what is up with the paint?
My old A3 had maybe 2-3 chips in 7 years! I'm driving at a further distance than I normally do after I had the first 2 chips and yet getting more, even one on the drivers door!
I believe the bonnet is aluminium so at least shouldn't rust but at this rate even though there is a distance of 6 cars between me and the person in front by his time next year I'll be wanting a respray.
Are others suffering?

VAG paint in recent years does seem a bit softer. It's no where as bad as BMW and other makes but it does pick up chips if your not careful. VAG paint I find is easier to repair though, that chipex stuff works really well on it.

I've got ventureshield paint protection film being fitted in a few weeks - £500 but it does save a lot of heart ache.

Reactions: steviedr

I have enquired about this stuff before and the stuff from Audi is apparently a pig to fit. My dealer said to me that they order two or three kits when doing one car because they get it wrong a lot when fitting. My salesman face screwed up when I asked because he knew how much hassle it is!

You have to pay a fair bit for the ventureshield stuff and it must be done by an 3M approved fitter but it's worth it. Great stuff.

Are others suffering?

My old 8P A3 had loads of stone chips, even had one on the roof. It's just a fact of life when driving a car that it will get chipped from time to time.

Only one tiny one so far on my S3 luckily, but then I've only done about 1500 miles.

Have Chipex arriving this week, hopefully do a decent job.

Be interested to hear how you get on, been considering getting some.

I have a part used chipex kit in glacier white for sale if anyones interested ?

Round one with chipex proved unsuccessful, not as simple as the videos would suggest. The blending solution wipes the paint away even after 40 min of dry time and no pressure at all.
So I tried again, this time just using the polish to buff down and hardly any blending agent but it wasn't having it.
Maybe a timing thing.
Will try again tonight.

Last edited:
Reactions: AdriansS3 and Schizophonic
This does work but you have take your time and build up the paint slowly and allow to dry fully, its best to leave it 24 hours as the paint should have hardened, using too much solution wont help either, you only need a very small amount

Reactions: Pulp84
ds7090 is spot on. Do two or three layers on stone chips with a cocktail stick. Let each layer dry a good 6 hours minimum. Then when you use the solution you will be taking one and a half of the three layers off if that makes sense to make the correction flat with the rest of the panel. Takes some time to get right.

Thanks ds790/pulp84,
I've been using the applicator and one dollop is plenty, paint sits above level. So when using a cocktail stick, are you just applying one droplet or are you applying enough to make it level with original. Allowing to dry 6 hrs, applying same amount (as it may have sunk), repeat 3 times so should now have a raised bump of paint.
Apply some blending solution to remove half of bump away.
Do you use the solution to bring the raised paint down to correct level or just above, then use polish to try and reduce to correct level?
The colour looks spot on, so I'm hoping for a good result.
Appreciate the tips!

for me I managed to get nice and level with the solution but its easy to go too far, the polish wont take off anything on its own its the pressure you use that removes the paint so take it nice and easy,

Reactions: steviedr
I've just done a stone chip on the bonnet, in Estoril Blue, using Chipex.

It's not invisible (can't see any repair being to be honest), but it is very very good.

Estoril Blue paint could have done with some metallic flake in it though, to blend better in the sunlight.

Cocktail stick, left it to dry for an hour in the sunshine. A little blending solution, then polish.

I was disappointed with the supplied polish, so used Meguiars ScratchX 2 and this yielded better results.

Reactions: Pulp84
Im getting 3m ventureshield protection film fitted in next couple of weeks. Keeping five car lengths behind every car at the moment trying to ensure I don't get an chips before hand!

Will get some pics uploaded when done - £450 investment that will protect against most of these little nasty chips on the frontal area.

Reactions: veeeight
Thanks ds790/pulp84,
I've been using the applicator and one dollop is plenty, paint sits above level. So when using a cocktail stick, are you just applying one droplet or are you applying enough to make it level with original. Allowing to dry 6 hrs, applying same amount (as it may have sunk), repeat 3 times so should now have a raised bump of paint.
Apply some blending solution to remove half of bump away.
Do you use the solution to bring the raised paint down to correct level or just above, then use polish to try and reduce to correct level?
The colour looks spot on, so I'm hoping for a good result.
Appreciate the tips!

Sorry for late reply - I use a cocktail stick and do a dab at a time. The first dab will "drop" so to speak. I then leave for 6 hours and then do another dab. Depending on how much paint the first and second dabs had on them will depend if you need to put a third one on.

After two dabs say, I would use a microfibre cloth, dab a small amount of the solution on to one and then lightly rub where the chip is. It should only remove the top layer in line with the panel and the chip stays filled. That's how I did it on my A1 and worked fine for me - yet to do it on the S3!

+1 for chipex. I was also sceptical but it worked wonders for me. I tried a cocktail stick with a traditional touch up kit but I kept bubbling the paint. Frustrating times. Chipex left a smooth clean coat :) 10/10

MA3RC - I know this is an old post but I was wondering if you could please share the process you used with Chipex e.g. how long you let it dry for, etc, etc. I have a Brilliant Red 1.4 COD Sline Saloon and like you I didn't have much luck with the normal touch up kit so I'm now trying Chipex. Its better but still not overly impressed as the chips are still pretty noticeable. Maybe I am just expecting too much but I had seen you seemed to be very impressed with it for your Brilliant Red A3 :smiley:

Cheers.

No worries, I use the chipex a lot still aha... :(

You clean the stone chip and surrounding area with the cleaning solution they provide, then paint a blob over the chip, flatten the paint with your finger, let it dry for 15/20 mins, depending how hot it is. Then buff the paint flat with the block they provide (wrapped in the blue waffle towel). Then use the polish and microfibre to bring the shine back.

This video will help ^

Reactions: robw77
I've recently done something similar building up the chip with a mixture of base coat and clear coat - used the end of a tooth floss thingy but pointy as a cocktail stick so does the same job. Rather than using Chipex I flatted it down with 3000 grade sandpaper which feels pretty much like paper minus the sand but is surprisingly effective. This then leaves you a nice matt patch which returns back to gloss with a two stage polish using a DA.

Ok great thanks MA3RC that helps. That's pretty much the process I followed but I'm finding the paint hasn't really filled the chip afterwards if that makes sense. Maybe I'm not putting a big enough blob over the chip or being too aggressive with the buffing afterwards...or both! :smiley:

I've had major issues with my S1 paint (Mythos black). I've had Audi pay for an Independent paint assessment and has proved that the paint is to hard (pencil test). The full car was chipping and flaking on the bumpers. I'm now waiting for my new S3 from them for the inconvenience as I was not having the car painted. The car was only 4 months old at the time of my major complaint to the dealer. However the problems started from the day of collection and onwards.

Ok great thanks MA3RC that helps. That's pretty much the process I followed but I'm finding the paint hasn't really filled the chip afterwards if that makes sense. Maybe I'm not putting a big enough blob over the chip or being too aggressive with the buffing afterwards...or both! :smiley:

I've found that in the past, leaving the paint to dry for longer helps a lot