Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Joetidman
  • 1 Post By cemerson
  • 1 Post By jimmydougle

Thread: Oh dear Audi...

3rd Gear

Status

Oh dear Audi...

Not a good write up for Audi dealerships in the UK, athough perhaps ignorance rather than lies...

BBC News - Audi 'lied' about safety testing of vehicles
    S3 Saloon S-Tronic. Panther Black. Tech Pack, Super-sports seats, LED Lights, Comfort pack with Adaptive Cruise and parking plus, Folding mirrors, Bang and Olufsen Sound System, Interior Light Pack, Hill Hold Assist, Privacy glass, Tyre sensor, Boot Mat (Countdown Thread)

Previously 2.0TSi VW Scirocco

2. # ADS
    ADS

2nd Gear

Status
    Probably ignorance coupled with prioritising sales over fact checking.

I got told by a salesman that as standard the A3's drive select altered the suspension characteristics (before magnetic ride was even available as an option). I'm sure this was ignorance rather than malice though. The guy was new to Audi. Knowing every detail of the entire Audi range is quite a challenge, especially when things keep changing.

3rd Gear

Status
    True. I always try and make sure I'm talking to someone there who knows more than me about the car for a start!

Incompetence or lying...I'm not sure which is more desirable
    S3 Saloon S-Tronic. Panther Black. Tech Pack, Super-sports seats, LED Lights, Comfort pack with Adaptive Cruise and parking plus, Folding mirrors, Bang and Olufsen Sound System, Interior Light Pack, Hill Hold Assist, Privacy glass, Tyre sensor, Boot Mat (Countdown Thread)

1st Gear

Status
    BBC One 8pm tonight.

This will most probably harm Audi sales.

6th Gear

Status
    I've found product knowledge in general across various departments of Audi to be pretty poor. Maybe this will make them do something about it!
    Sport 2.0 TDI 150 Sportback in Scuba Blue, alcantara/leather, advanced key, audi sound system, comfort pack w/ ACC and park assist, deselect sports suspension, auto-dimming & folding door mirrors, electric lumbar support, heated seats, hold assist, non-smoking pack, side & lane assist, reversing camera, storage & luggage pack, tech pack with audi connect, tyre pressure warning, towbar, variable headlight range control, xenon light pack

3rd Gear

Status
    I agree, other than a few I've met they seem to focus on detailed knowledge of GAP insurance, and finance contracts than knowledge of the cars...
    chrisboyle999 likes this.

6th Gear

Status
    Oh yes, the knowledge of the finance products they sell is second to none :D Just a shame they don't work in a bank...
    warren_S5 likes this.
    Sport 2.0 TDI 150 Sportback in Scuba Blue, alcantara/leather, advanced key, audi sound system, comfort pack w/ ACC and park assist, deselect sports suspension, auto-dimming & folding door mirrors, electric lumbar support, heated seats, hold assist, non-smoking pack, side & lane assist, reversing camera, storage & luggage pack, tech pack with audi connect, tyre pressure warning, towbar, variable headlight range control, xenon light pack

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Joetidman View Post
    I agree, other than a few I've met they seem to focus on detailed knowledge of GAP insurance, and finance contracts than knowledge of the cars...
    So true!

Different Gear

Status
    Let's be honest, there is only one thing the salesman (not just Audi) is interested in. Money. Hence the superb knowledge of there finance products and lack of knowledge about the actual product they are selling. It's a real shame.
    09 Audi A3 2.0 TDI 170 S-Line SB 8P3
    - Full Leather - LED DRL's - BOSE - Cruise Control - RNS-E Mk2 - AMI - Bluetooth - Folding Mirrors -

VCDS owner - A3 Grille Install Guide

3rd Gear

Status
    Repost

AUDI Lied!

Reverse Gear

Status
    Ignoring that @Joetidman is right, and the only thing a salesman is concerned about is money, the issues around understanding the financial products is also down to them being regulated. The impact on miss-selling a financial product can be a very hefty fine and liability for both the company and the individual.
    Just look at the liabilities being written of by UK banks for PPI

6th Gear

Status
    I also find out the facts for myself before I go and talk to a salesperson but I find it rather amusing what they do say in their 'infinite wisdom'. I think the BBC could hit any dealership and find the same if not worse if they looked...
    Now a proud owner of a A3 1.4 tfsi Saloon S-Line, 6-speed, Daytona Grey, Technology Pack, Comfort Pack, Cruise, Advanced Key, Privacy Glass, Audi Parking System Plus, Interior Lighting, Folding Door Mirrors, Light & Rain Sensor. Hold Assist.

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Joetidman View Post
    If you work in the finance industry you would never be impressed with their knowledge of finance / insurances. These guys have a credit scored system and flow chart system. They also have a tiny product range (7 products max?) so not difficult.

Back on topic - I went to school with the guy that found all this out about Audi misleading customers regarding crash tests. His dad totalled a 6 month old R8 V10 just up the road from me and it's this that made him investigate the whole Audi NCAP claims.

Man named in A350 collision (From Wiltshire Times)
    S3 Sportback S-Tronic - Amalfi White, Comfort Pack, LED headlights, LED interior lights, High-beam assist, hill hold assist, privacy glass, mono-pur, folding mirrors, TPMS, Audi sound system and black Alacantra. Built week 17. Arrived 17/05/14. Wow......just wow

6th Gear

Status
    Just watching it on BBC1 now, on Watchdog. No new info really, says it all in the article, but looks like a lot of people are concerned and phoning in about it.

1st Gear

Status
    Doesn't really concern me. I have never bought a car on safety ratings. Claiming cars are something they are not is obviously not right, however I really don't think it will harm sales.
    On Order - Audi S3 SB S-tronic, Estoril Blue, Black Alcantara Leather, Aluminium Roof Rails, Advance Key, ACC, LED Lights, Comfort Pack, Interior Light Pack, Non-Smoking Pack, Parking System Plus, Reverse Camera, B+O Sound System, Electric Folding Mirrors, Privacy Glass, Electric Lumbar + Adjustable Seats, High Beam Assist, Hill Hold, Load Through, Tyre Pressure Monitor, Tech Pack High with Audi Connect!!!

Provisional Build Week 4!

6th Gear

Status
    It probably won't harm sales, as the likelihood is that if the cars were to be tested, they would get the claimed ratings. It's not as if they are claiming something is 5 star rated and it's actually 3 or something, though obviously is still bad and points to the lack of knowledge you see all over the company.

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by RossR View Post
    Probably ignorance coupled with prioritising sales over fact checking.

I got told by a salesman that as standard the A3's drive select altered the suspension characteristics (before magnetic ride was even available as an option). I'm sure this was ignorance rather than malice though. The guy was new to Audi. Knowing every detail of the entire Audi range is quite a challenge, especially when things keep changing.
    My dealer told me that the S3 has 7 gears when I first went on a test drive; proved him wrong quite quickly.

Being new is understandable, all new people make mistakes. However, I don't think ignorance of the model range due to it's size is an excuse when it comes to knowing what the cars have and don't have. There are only 12 models, they should know exactly what goes on which one. If it were my job I'd make sure I knew what I was selling. I might be wrong but, surely you'd want to be a sales person if you were an enthusiast, why else would you want to do it? If it were me I'd be excited at new models when they come out.

Even without that; wouldn't they have meetings to discuss new models and what's on offer? If I were managing a team of sales people and there was a new model I'd have a meeting to discuss the new options and features to point out the key exciting aspects of it which make the sales.
    bobinder likes this.

1st Gear

Status
    Salesman will say whatever you want to hear, so long as it's not going to land them in trouble. Salesman, in general, are arseholes.
    Audi 8V S3 s-tronic
    Phantom Black | Black styling pack | Titanium 18" alloy wheels | LED headlights
    Super sports seats | mono.pur
    | Bang & Olufsen | Advance key | Interior LEDs
    Technology pack | Audi Connect | Parking System Plus | Reversing Camera
    ACC | Hold assist | Pre-sense | Headlight assist | Privacy glass | TPMS
    LTE data by EE | Paint protection by Gtechniq | more to come...

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by pat15312 View Post
    Salesman will say whatever you want to hear, so long as it's not going to land them in trouble. Salesman, in general, are arseholes.
    But Audi UK also lied about the NCAP testing on the phone. No excuses.