Oh dear Audi...

Probably ignorance coupled with prioritising sales over fact checking.

I got told by a salesman that as standard the A3's drive select altered the suspension characteristics (before magnetic ride was even available as an option). I'm sure this was ignorance rather than malice though. The guy was new to Audi. Knowing every detail of the entire Audi range is quite a challenge, especially when things keep changing.

True. I always try and make sure I'm talking to someone there who knows more than me about the car for a start!

Incompetence or lying...I'm not sure which is more desirable

BBC One 8pm tonight.

This will most probably harm Audi sales.

I've found product knowledge in general across various departments of Audi to be pretty poor. Maybe this will make them do something about it!

I agree, other than a few I've met they seem to focus on detailed knowledge of GAP insurance, and finance contracts than knowledge of the cars...

Reactions: chrisboyle999
Oh yes, the knowledge of the finance products they sell is second to none :D Just a shame they don't work in a bank...

Reactions: warren_S5
Let's be honest, there is only one thing the salesman (not just Audi) is interested in. Money. Hence the superb knowledge of there finance products and lack of knowledge about the actual product they are selling. It's a real shame.

Ignoring that @Joetidman is right, and the only thing a salesman is concerned about is money, the issues around understanding the financial products is also down to them being regulated. The impact on miss-selling a financial product can be a very hefty fine and liability for both the company and the individual.
Just look at the liabilities being written of by UK banks for PPI

I also find out the facts for myself before I go and talk to a salesperson but I find it rather amusing what they do say in their 'infinite wisdom'. I think the BBC could hit any dealership and find the same if not worse if they looked...

I agree, other than a few I've met they seem to focus on detailed knowledge of GAP insurance, and finance contracts than knowledge of the cars...

If you work in the finance industry you would never be impressed with their knowledge of finance / insurances. These guys have a credit scored system and flow chart system. They also have a tiny product range (7 products max?) so not difficult.

Back on topic - I went to school with the guy that found all this out about Audi misleading customers regarding crash tests. His dad totalled a 6 month old R8 V10 just up the road from me and it's this that made him investigate the whole Audi NCAP claims.

Man named in A350 collision (From Wiltshire Times)

Just watching it on BBC1 now, on Watchdog. No new info really, says it all in the article, but looks like a lot of people are concerned and phoning in about it.

Doesn't really concern me. I have never bought a car on safety ratings. Claiming cars are something they are not is obviously not right, however I really don't think it will harm sales.

It probably won't harm sales, as the likelihood is that if the cars were to be tested, they would get the claimed ratings. It's not as if they are claiming something is 5 star rated and it's actually 3 or something, though obviously is still bad and points to the lack of knowledge you see all over the company.

Probably ignorance coupled with prioritising sales over fact checking.

I got told by a salesman that as standard the A3's drive select altered the suspension characteristics (before magnetic ride was even available as an option). I'm sure this was ignorance rather than malice though. The guy was new to Audi. Knowing every detail of the entire Audi range is quite a challenge, especially when things keep changing.

My dealer told me that the S3 has 7 gears when I first went on a test drive; proved him wrong quite quickly.

Being new is understandable, all new people make mistakes. However, I don't think ignorance of the model range due to it's size is an excuse when it comes to knowing what the cars have and don't have. There are only 12 models, they should know exactly what goes on which one. If it were my job I'd make sure I knew what I was selling. I might be wrong but, surely you'd want to be a sales person if you were an enthusiast, why else would you want to do it? If it were me I'd be excited at new models when they come out.

Even without that; wouldn't they have meetings to discuss new models and what's on offer? If I were managing a team of sales people and there was a new model I'd have a meeting to discuss the new options and features to point out the key exciting aspects of it which make the sales.

Reactions: bobinder
Salesman will say whatever you want to hear, so long as it's not going to land them in trouble. Salesman, in general, are *********.

Salesman will say whatever you want to hear, so long as it's not going to land them in trouble. Salesman, in general, are *********.
But Audi UK also lied about the NCAP testing on the phone. No excuses.