Video in motion...........

No maybe a Police Officer, but I think in the near future that may well be the case with the MOT. There are moves in a number of countries to standardise the 'MOT' and for that test to ensure that a car still meets it's original Type Approval and that any modifications also have regulatory approval. This is the case at the moment in Germany and I can see the EU adopting this approach for all member countries.

It maybe the case that the mot does get standardised but how would the different road and enviromental laws that are different from one country to another also be standardised, or would we be all forced to adopt German law? Imagine the outcry to that seeing as being anti EU is rather fashionable at the moment...

just be aware police cars are fitted with video screens that display moving video pictures in full view of the driver so I don't really see how people could be fined for doing the same. I will state I am dead against VIM if its in view of the driver but just saying as the law regarding use of telephony equipment in a moving vehicle is also ignored on a regular basis when a police officer takes a hand of the wheel to answer his P.R.

You may also have noticed that the police speed, go through red lights and on the wrong side of the road quite a lot. I don't think you can take what the police do as an example for everyone else!

Good god, there are some right PC do gooders in here. Prosecution for those that offer such services? Seriously? You all must lead sad and sheltered lives.

A decat is illegal, harms the atmosphere apparently. Speeding is illegal, causes deaths apparently.

The guy is offering a service that is clearly in demand. If he lived closer, I would get it done, I'm not ****** stupid enough to watch a film whilst driving just like I'm not stupid enough to talk on my phone, use Facebook or watch youtube videos on my mobile whilst driving. There is no reason why a video can't be playing on the screen for passengers.

Asking mods for prosecution and for the thread to be locked, ridiculous and unbelievable, how you guys manage to get through life is beyond me. Leave the poor guy alone, next time you do 41 in a 40 or 71 in a 70, well that's worse surely? No guarantee that a video playing is a distraction, the same way loud music or a screaming child in the back is. We are adults and we can make our own decisions. 71 in a 70 though, surely deserves for you to be hung drawn and quartered going by the drivel some of you are waffling above.

Reactions: Artimus
It maybe the case that the mot does get standardised but how would the different road and enviromental laws that are different from one country to another also be standardised, or would we be all forced to adopt German law? Imagine the outcry to that seeing as being anti EU is rather fashionable at the moment...

It's something that may or may not happen in the future but I for one would be quite in favour as the German traffic and driving law is far better than our current rather, in some cases, outdated laws. That assumes we remain in the EU of course. If not does that mean out own testers will have to test every new vehicle type to see if it complies with our Construction and Use Regulations. That could well delay us getting new models as quickly as we do at the moment with the EU Type Approval system.

You may also have noticed that the police speed, go through red lights and on the wrong side of the road quite a lot. I don't think you can take what the police do as an example for everyone else!

Police drivers that use the road patrol vehicles fitted with screen etc are training to a much higher standard than the average driver. The second driver is usually the one who is operating such kit.

Good god, there are some right PC do gooders in here. Prosecution for those that offer such services? Seriously? You all must lead sad and sheltered lives.

A decat is illegal, harms the atmosphere apparently. Speeding is illegal, causes deaths apparently.

The guy is offering a service that is clearly in demand. If he lived closer, I would get it done, I'm not ****** stupid enough to watch a film whilst driving just like I'm not stupid enough to talk on my phone, use Facebook or watch youtube videos on my mobile whilst driving. There is no reason why a video can't be playing on the screen for passengers.

Asking mods for prosecution and for the thread to be locked, ridiculous and unbelievable, how you guys manage to get through life is beyond me. Leave the poor guy alone, next time you do 41 in a 40 or 71 in a 70, well that's worse surely? No guarantee that a video playing is a distraction, the same way loud music or a screaming child in the back is. We are adults and we can make our own decisions. 71 in a 70 though, surely deserves for you to be hung drawn and quartered going by the drivel some of you are waffling above.

So you would prefer a free for all where everyone can do just as they like and where the safety of other road users is totally ignored.

A driver exceeding the speed limit and concentrating on his driving is a lot safer than a driver travelling below the speed limit who is watching a video screen or even talking on a mobile phone, even a hands-free one. I certainly know which one I would prefer to be on the same stretch of road as me.

You say we are all adults but a lot of drivers on the road do not act like adults.

The central screen already distracts your attention from the road though with a satnav display or an iTunes library to scroll through. Have you seen the central screen in a Nissan GTR? Lots of information being displayed that may be a distraction. That's a car that can do 200mph and 60 in under 3secs.

Personally, I don't believe drivers are going to sit and religiously watch a film whilst driving any more than they would look at the screen for music or nav. You have to give drivers the benefit of the doubt and not insult their intelligence.

It's not as if it's a free for all, no, I don't think it should be standard from the factory, new and inexperienced kids for example may be a danger but for your experienced sensible driver, it's a non issue in my eyes but none the less at least we have the choice, there's obviously demand for it.

I think your missing the point either that or trying to take the mick.my comment was not about police going through red lights etc the point I was trying to make is that a prosecution would look pretty daft in a court if a clever solicitor was to prove the same was being done by the people who were reporting you for an offence that they were committing themselves i.e VIM

The screen gives you information at a glance when it's on sat nav or media. A film requires constant attention as it's designed to be watched continuously. Surely you can see the difference there?

I think your missing the point either that or trying to take the mick.my comment was not about police going through red lights etc the point I was trying to make is that a prosecution would look pretty daft in a court if a clever solicitor was to prove the same was being done by the people who were reporting you for an offence that they were committing themselves i.e VIM

I think YOU'RE missing the point. The police aren't commiting an offence, just as they aren't committing one when they speed but you are.

Police drivers that use the road patrol vehicles fitted with screen etc are training to a much higher standard than the average driver. The second driver is usually the one who is operating such kit.
sorry but being trained to a higher standard of driving is not really relevant as far as this discussion.if you watch the many police programs its clearly visable to the driver, which is the point of the discussion ( it being in the drivers view)

I think YOU'RE missing the point. The police aren't commiting an offence, just as they aren't committing one when they speed but you are.
hardly, how can I be committing an offence when they are not? as for speeding they can only claim the exemption if they have audible and visual warnings activated.

Then you definitely are.

Why don't you try putting some blue lights on your roof, speed around past other traffic and over red lights, then when you get caught just point at the police and say "how can I be committing an offence when they are not?"

Then you definitely are.

Why don't you try putting some blue lights on your roof, speed around past other traffic and over red lights, then when you get caught just point at the police and say "how can I be committing an offence when they are not?"

ehh ???you been on the beer whats that got to do with VIM?
I told you I have the experience of blue light driving so why would I want to put blue lights on my personal car ?

I'm making the point (though I didn't realise that I was going to have to spell it out like this) that just because the police can do something, doesn't mean anyone else can. The police have a screen in their car because they use it for their jobs, it doesn't require constant attention like a film and is often used by the passenger. They don't use it to watch family guy episodes while on the way to work! It is legal for them to use such systems, and not legal for you to watch films. Just as it's legal for them to speed where needed, but not for you. Is this not really obvious?

I'm making the point (though I didn't realise that I was going to have to spell it out like this) that just because the police can do something, doesn't mean anyone else can. The police have a screen in their car because they use it for their jobs, it doesn't require constant attention like a film and is often used by the passenger. They don't use it to watch family guy episodes while on the way to work! It is legal for them to use such systems, and not legal for you to watch films. Just as it's legal for them to speed where needed, but not for you. Is this not really obvious?

it seems like I'm wasting my time trying to get my point across that in a court of law a clever solicitor could blow a hole in a case of someone being accused of this if the circumstances were proved that its something that is allowed in one respect but not in another.
as for the speeding bit it has nothing to do with this anyhow end of as far as I'm concerned.

Guy who killed my friend was sentenced to three years for involuntary manslaughter, lost his license for 7 years, was fined $10k, and lives with his shame for life. So don't say it can't be proven. VCDS is a powerful thing.

I don't quite know how this has got to a police related issue but I'll sort out some common misconceptions that have been mentioned in this thread.

The police have a legal power to go through traffic signals, go over the speed limit and to disobey keep left/right signs for a policing purpose. There are occasions where they will still use these exemptions and not use their lights and/or sirens and this is completely legal and in line with their training. For instance, when it's dark at night and their sent to a burglary, they will often attend as quick as they can but not use any of their lights because you can see them miles off and the burglars would obviously see them and make good their escape. Another tactic that their taught is when perusing a vehicle, they may turn their lights and sirens off and then the traffic in front will create a natural road block to the vehicle making off.

In relation to screens in police cars, these show live feeds from cameras attached to that vehicle. There is nothing illegal in this. It's the same as new luxury cars that come with night vision cameras and screens to aid night vision.
I don't think in a court you could argue that watching family guy while driving is the same as the police using screens and cameras for a policing purpose

Reactions: warren_S5 and cemerson
Geez! This is ridiculous guys! Someone said above that you have to give drivers the benefit of the doubt as to their intelligence & I agree! I've had a third party head unit in my car for nearly two years and VIM was enabled a little after that install, but on precisely Zero occasions have I felt the need or compulsion to actually use it.

Since when did this Democracy become a nanny State? You might as well prosecute all purvayors of Alcohol, Mobile Phone install companies & Drive Thru restaurateurs, since they all encourage us to break the law. You guys against it should also be lobbying for 70mph governors on all road cars in the UK from the factory, as you can't legally drive any faster on the roads, and if you want to go for a track day, you'll have to get it mapped to release the extra speed.

Sheesh, Give a driver some credit ***

Last edited:
it seems like I'm wasting my time trying to get my point across

Anyone recognise the tone ; cough, PA cough.

He's asked me to remove the account this morning so thanks for the heads up and as you were.

Reactions: kanecullen89, Artimus and veeeight
Am I missing something?

It's a long story over a period of time but there was a member on this forum with the ID Pilot Audi hence PA who was rather a pain in a**e and in the end Warren, who is one of the moderators banned him from the forum. We think he was trying to get back into the forum using another user ID (S3 Owner) so Warren checked the incoming IP address and it was the same, so he banned him again. The 'tone' of the posts from S3 Owner was much the same as from Pilot Audi. His posts seemed designed to belittle as many members as possible and basically there were two ways of doing things, his way and the wrong way.

Reactions: Cleggy70 and kanecullen89
It's a long story over a period of time but there was a member on this forum with the ID Pilot Audi hence PA who was rather a pain in a**e and in the end Warren, who is one of the moderators banned him from the forum. We think he was trying to get back into the forum using another user ID (S3 Owner) so Warren checked the incoming IP address and it was the same, so he banned him again. The 'tone' of the posts from S3 Owner was much the same as from Pilot Audi. His posts seemed designed to belittle as many members as possible and basically there were two ways of doing things, his way and the wrong way.

Sounds like my wife! :p

well well well...haven't been following this forum for a few weeks...and after this, certainly haven't missed it
see ya in a few more I think!