Monster MotorsportVolks Autos
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 41 to 69 of 69
Like Tree40Likes

Thread: Video in motion...........

  1. #41
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    East Sussex
    Posts
    1,569
    Quote Originally Posted by h5djr View Post
    No maybe a Police Officer, but I think in the near future that may well be the case with the MOT. There are moves in a number of countries to standardise the 'MOT' and for that test to ensure that a car still meets it's original Type Approval and that any modifications also have regulatory approval. This is the case at the moment in Germany and I can see the EU adopting this approach for all member countries.
    It maybe the case that the mot does get standardised but how would the different road and enviromental laws that are different from one country to another also be standardised, or would we be all forced to adopt German law? Imagine the outcry to that seeing as being anti EU is rather fashionable at the moment...
    Now a proud owner of a A3 1.4 tfsi Saloon S-Line, 6-speed, Daytona Grey, Technology Pack, Comfort Pack, Cruise, Advanced Key, Privacy Glass, Audi Parking System Plus, Interior Lighting, Folding Door Mirrors, Light & Rain Sensor. Hold Assist.

  2. # ADS
    ADS
    Join Date
    Always
    Location
    Global
    Posts
    Many
     
  3. #42
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    3,231
    Quote Originally Posted by s3 owner View Post
    just be aware police cars are fitted with video screens that display moving video pictures in full view of the driver so I don't really see how people could be fined for doing the same. I will state I am dead against VIM if its in view of the driver but just saying as the law regarding use of telephony equipment in a moving vehicle is also ignored on a regular basis when a police officer takes a hand of the wheel to answer his P.R.
    You may also have noticed that the police speed, go through red lights and on the wrong side of the road quite a lot. I don't think you can take what the police do as an example for everyone else!
    Sport 2.0 TDI 150 Sportback in Scuba Blue, alcantara/leather, advanced key, audi sound system, comfort pack w/ ACC and park assist, deselect sports suspension, auto-dimming & folding door mirrors, electric lumbar support, heated seats, hold assist, non-smoking pack, side & lane assist, reversing camera, storage & luggage pack, tech pack with audi connect, tyre pressure warning, towbar, variable headlight range control, xenon light pack

  4. #43
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    45
    Good god, there are some right PC do gooders in here. Prosecution for those that offer such services? Seriously? You all must lead sad and sheltered lives.

    A decat is illegal, harms the atmosphere apparently. Speeding is illegal, causes deaths apparently.

    The guy is offering a service that is clearly in demand. If he lived closer, I would get it done, I'm not bloody stupid enough to watch a film whilst driving just like I'm not stupid enough to talk on my phone, use Facebook or watch youtube videos on my mobile whilst driving. There is no reason why a video can't be playing on the screen for passengers.

    Asking mods for prosecution and for the thread to be locked, ridiculous and unbelievable, how you guys manage to get through life is beyond me. Leave the poor guy alone, next time you do 41 in a 40 or 71 in a 70, well that's worse surely? No guarantee that a video playing is a distraction, the same way loud music or a screaming child in the back is. We are adults and we can make our own decisions. 71 in a 70 though, surely deserves for you to be hung drawn and quartered going by the drivel some of you are waffling above.
    Artimus likes this.

  5. #44
    Quote Originally Posted by cuke2u View Post
    It maybe the case that the mot does get standardised but how would the different road and enviromental laws that are different from one country to another also be standardised, or would we be all forced to adopt German law? Imagine the outcry to that seeing as being anti EU is rather fashionable at the moment...
    It's something that may or may not happen in the future but I for one would be quite in favour as the German traffic and driving law is far better than our current rather, in some cases, outdated laws. That assumes we remain in the EU of course. If not does that mean out own testers will have to test every new vehicle type to see if it complies with our Construction and Use Regulations. That could well delay us getting new models as quickly as we do at the moment with the EU Type Approval system.
    Dave R (h5djr)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A3 8V 2.0 TDI-184 Sportback Sport s-tronic quattro - Silver + lots of options - my 9th A3

  6. #45
    Quote Originally Posted by cemerson View Post
    You may also have noticed that the police speed, go through red lights and on the wrong side of the road quite a lot. I don't think you can take what the police do as an example for everyone else!
    Police drivers that use the road patrol vehicles fitted with screen etc are training to a much higher standard than the average driver. The second driver is usually the one who is operating such kit.
    Dave R (h5djr)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A3 8V 2.0 TDI-184 Sportback Sport s-tronic quattro - Silver + lots of options - my 9th A3

  7. #46
    Quote Originally Posted by Leo-83 View Post
    Good god, there are some right PC do gooders in here. Prosecution for those that offer such services? Seriously? You all must lead sad and sheltered lives.

    A decat is illegal, harms the atmosphere apparently. Speeding is illegal, causes deaths apparently.

    The guy is offering a service that is clearly in demand. If he lived closer, I would get it done, I'm not bloody stupid enough to watch a film whilst driving just like I'm not stupid enough to talk on my phone, use Facebook or watch youtube videos on my mobile whilst driving. There is no reason why a video can't be playing on the screen for passengers.

    Asking mods for prosecution and for the thread to be locked, ridiculous and unbelievable, how you guys manage to get through life is beyond me. Leave the poor guy alone, next time you do 41 in a 40 or 71 in a 70, well that's worse surely? No guarantee that a video playing is a distraction, the same way loud music or a screaming child in the back is. We are adults and we can make our own decisions. 71 in a 70 though, surely deserves for you to be hung drawn and quartered going by the drivel some of you are waffling above.
    So you would prefer a free for all where everyone can do just as they like and where the safety of other road users is totally ignored.

    A driver exceeding the speed limit and concentrating on his driving is a lot safer than a driver travelling below the speed limit who is watching a video screen or even talking on a mobile phone, even a hands-free one. I certainly know which one I would prefer to be on the same stretch of road as me.

    You say we are all adults but a lot of drivers on the road do not act like adults.
    Dave R (h5djr)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A3 8V 2.0 TDI-184 Sportback Sport s-tronic quattro - Silver + lots of options - my 9th A3

  8. #47
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    45
    The central screen already distracts your attention from the road though with a satnav display or an iTunes library to scroll through. Have you seen the central screen in a Nissan GTR? Lots of information being displayed that may be a distraction. That's a car that can do 200mph and 60 in under 3secs.

    Personally, I don't believe drivers are going to sit and religiously watch a film whilst driving any more than they would look at the screen for music or nav. You have to give drivers the benefit of the doubt and not insult their intelligence.

    It's not as if it's a free for all, no, I don't think it should be standard from the factory, new and inexperienced kids for example may be a danger but for your experienced sensible driver, it's a non issue in my eyes but none the less at least we have the choice, there's obviously demand for it.

  9. #48
    Banned

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    wiltshire
    Posts
    68
    Quote Originally Posted by cemerson View Post
    You may also have noticed that the police speed, go through red lights and on the wrong side of the road quite a lot. I don't think you can take what the police do as an example for everyone else!
    I think your missing the point either that or trying to take the mick.my comment was not about police going through red lights etc the point I was trying to make is that a prosecution would look pretty daft in a court if a clever solicitor was to prove the same was being done by the people who were reporting you for an offence that they were committing themselves i.e VIM

  10. #49
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    3,231
    The screen gives you information at a glance when it's on sat nav or media. A film requires constant attention as it's designed to be watched continuously. Surely you can see the difference there?
    Sport 2.0 TDI 150 Sportback in Scuba Blue, alcantara/leather, advanced key, audi sound system, comfort pack w/ ACC and park assist, deselect sports suspension, auto-dimming & folding door mirrors, electric lumbar support, heated seats, hold assist, non-smoking pack, side & lane assist, reversing camera, storage & luggage pack, tech pack with audi connect, tyre pressure warning, towbar, variable headlight range control, xenon light pack

  11. #50
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    3,231
    Quote Originally Posted by s3 owner View Post
    I think your missing the point either that or trying to take the mick.my comment was not about police going through red lights etc the point I was trying to make is that a prosecution would look pretty daft in a court if a clever solicitor was to prove the same was being done by the people who were reporting you for an offence that they were committing themselves i.e VIM
    I think YOU'RE missing the point. The police aren't commiting an offence, just as they aren't committing one when they speed but you are.
    Sport 2.0 TDI 150 Sportback in Scuba Blue, alcantara/leather, advanced key, audi sound system, comfort pack w/ ACC and park assist, deselect sports suspension, auto-dimming & folding door mirrors, electric lumbar support, heated seats, hold assist, non-smoking pack, side & lane assist, reversing camera, storage & luggage pack, tech pack with audi connect, tyre pressure warning, towbar, variable headlight range control, xenon light pack

  12. #51
    Banned

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    wiltshire
    Posts
    68
    Quote Originally Posted by h5djr View Post
    Police drivers that use the road patrol vehicles fitted with screen etc are training to a much higher standard than the average driver. The second driver is usually the one who is operating such kit.
    sorry but being trained to a higher standard of driving is not really relevant as far as this discussion.if you watch the many police programs its clearly visable to the driver, which is the point of the discussion ( it being in the drivers view)

  13. #52
    Banned

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    wiltshire
    Posts
    68
    Quote Originally Posted by cemerson View Post
    I think YOU'RE missing the point. The police aren't commiting an offence, just as they aren't committing one when they speed but you are.
    hardly, how can I be committing an offence when they are not? as for speeding they can only claim the exemption if they have audible and visual warnings activated.

  14. #53
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    3,231
    Quote Originally Posted by s3 owner View Post
    hardly, how can I be committing an offence when they are not?
    Really? You're taking the piss now, right?
    Sport 2.0 TDI 150 Sportback in Scuba Blue, alcantara/leather, advanced key, audi sound system, comfort pack w/ ACC and park assist, deselect sports suspension, auto-dimming & folding door mirrors, electric lumbar support, heated seats, hold assist, non-smoking pack, side & lane assist, reversing camera, storage & luggage pack, tech pack with audi connect, tyre pressure warning, towbar, variable headlight range control, xenon light pack

  15. #54
    Banned

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    wiltshire
    Posts
    68
    Quote Originally Posted by cemerson View Post
    Really? You're taking the piss now, right?
    nope I'm not I do know what I'm talking about after driving an emergency vehicle with the relevant training for over 30 years. thankyou

  16. #55
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    3,231
    Then you definitely are.

    Why don't you try putting some blue lights on your roof, speed around past other traffic and over red lights, then when you get caught just point at the police and say "how can I be committing an offence when they are not?"
    Sport 2.0 TDI 150 Sportback in Scuba Blue, alcantara/leather, advanced key, audi sound system, comfort pack w/ ACC and park assist, deselect sports suspension, auto-dimming & folding door mirrors, electric lumbar support, heated seats, hold assist, non-smoking pack, side & lane assist, reversing camera, storage & luggage pack, tech pack with audi connect, tyre pressure warning, towbar, variable headlight range control, xenon light pack

  17. #56
    Banned

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    wiltshire
    Posts
    68
    Quote Originally Posted by cemerson View Post
    Then you definitely are.

    Why don't you try putting some blue lights on your roof, speed around past other traffic and over red lights, then when you get caught just point at the police and say "how can I be committing an offence when they are not?"
    ehh ???you been on the beer whats that got to do with VIM?
    I told you I have the experience of blue light driving so why would I want to put blue lights on my personal car ?

  18. #57
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    3,231
    I'm making the point (though I didn't realise that I was going to have to spell it out like this) that just because the police can do something, doesn't mean anyone else can. The police have a screen in their car because they use it for their jobs, it doesn't require constant attention like a film and is often used by the passenger. They don't use it to watch family guy episodes while on the way to work! It is legal for them to use such systems, and not legal for you to watch films. Just as it's legal for them to speed where needed, but not for you. Is this not really obvious?
    Sport 2.0 TDI 150 Sportback in Scuba Blue, alcantara/leather, advanced key, audi sound system, comfort pack w/ ACC and park assist, deselect sports suspension, auto-dimming & folding door mirrors, electric lumbar support, heated seats, hold assist, non-smoking pack, side & lane assist, reversing camera, storage & luggage pack, tech pack with audi connect, tyre pressure warning, towbar, variable headlight range control, xenon light pack

  19. #58
    Banned

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    wiltshire
    Posts
    68
    Quote Originally Posted by cemerson View Post
    I'm making the point (though I didn't realise that I was going to have to spell it out like this) that just because the police can do something, doesn't mean anyone else can. The police have a screen in their car because they use it for their jobs, it doesn't require constant attention like a film and is often used by the passenger. They don't use it to watch family guy episodes while on the way to work! It is legal for them to use such systems, and not legal for you to watch films. Just as it's legal for them to speed where needed, but not for you. Is this not really obvious?
    it seems like I'm wasting my time trying to get my point across that in a court of law a clever solicitor could blow a hole in a case of someone being accused of this if the circumstances were proved that its something that is allowed in one respect but not in another.
    as for the speeding bit it has nothing to do with this anyhow end of as far as I'm concerned.

  20. #59
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    289
    Guy who killed my friend was sentenced to three years for involuntary manslaughter, lost his license for 7 years, was fined $10k, and lives with his shame for life. So don't say it can't be proven. VCDS is a powerful thing.

  21. #60
    kanecullen89's Avatar
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    358
    I don't quite know how this has got to a police related issue but I'll sort out some common misconceptions that have been mentioned in this thread.

    The police have a legal power to go through traffic signals, go over the speed limit and to disobey keep left/right signs for a policing purpose. There are occasions where they will still use these exemptions and not use their lights and/or sirens and this is completely legal and in line with their training. For instance, when it's dark at night and their sent to a burglary, they will often attend as quick as they can but not use any of their lights because you can see them miles off and the burglars would obviously see them and make good their escape. Another tactic that their taught is when perusing a vehicle, they may turn their lights and sirens off and then the traffic in front will create a natural road block to the vehicle making off.

    In relation to screens in police cars, these show live feeds from cameras attached to that vehicle. There is nothing illegal in this. It's the same as new luxury cars that come with night vision cameras and screens to aid night vision.
    I don't think in a court you could argue that watching family guy while driving is the same as the police using screens and cameras for a policing purpose
    warren_S5 and cemerson like this.

  22. #61
    Artimus's Avatar
    Short Back

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Hertfordshire
    Posts
    1,857

    Video in motion...........

    Geez! This is ridiculous guys! Someone said above that you have to give drivers the benefit of the doubt as to their intelligence & I agree! I've had a third party head unit in my car for nearly two years and VIM was enabled a little after that install, but on precisely Zero occasions have I felt the need or compulsion to actually use it.

    Since when did this Democracy become a nanny State? You might as well prosecute all purvayors of Alcohol, Mobile Phone install companies & Drive Thru restaurateurs, since they all encourage us to break the law. You guys against it should also be lobbying for 70mph governors on all road cars in the UK from the factory, as you can't legally drive any faster on the roads, and if you want to go for a track day, you'll have to get it mapped to release the extra speed.

    Sheesh, Give a driver some credit ffs
    Last edited by Artimus; 18th May 2014 at 23:43.
    ................................................
    2009 A3 SB 2.0T DSG S line
    ''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

  23. #62
    warren_S5's Avatar
    Moderator

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    7,164
    Quote Originally Posted by s3 owner View Post
    it seems like I'm wasting my time trying to get my point across
    Anyone recognise the tone ; cough, PA cough.

    He's asked me to remove the account this morning so thanks for the heads up and as you were.
    kanecullen89, Artimus and veeeight like this.
    Audi S5 3.0V6T Coupe Black Edition

  24. #63
    Artimus's Avatar
    Short Back

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Hertfordshire
    Posts
    1,857
    I wonder how many more accounts he has.
    warren_S5 likes this.
    ................................................
    2009 A3 SB 2.0T DSG S line
    ''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

  25. #64
    warren_S5's Avatar
    Moderator

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    7,164
    Quote Originally Posted by Artimus View Post
    I wonder how many more accounts he has.
    Audi S5 3.0V6T Coupe Black Edition

  26. #65
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by warren_S5 View Post
    Anyone recognise the tone ; cough, PA cough.

    He's asked me to remove the account this morning so thanks for the heads up and as you were.
    Am I missing something?

  27. #66
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Porter View Post
    Am I missing something?
    It's a long story over a period of time but there was a member on this forum with the ID Pilot Audi hence PA who was rather a pain in a**e and in the end Warren, who is one of the moderators banned him from the forum. We think he was trying to get back into the forum using another user ID (S3 Owner) so Warren checked the incoming IP address and it was the same, so he banned him again. The 'tone' of the posts from S3 Owner was much the same as from Pilot Audi. His posts seemed designed to belittle as many members as possible and basically there were two ways of doing things, his way and the wrong way.
    kanecullen89 and Cleggy70 like this.
    Dave R (h5djr)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A3 8V 2.0 TDI-184 Sportback Sport s-tronic quattro - Silver + lots of options - my 9th A3

  28. #67
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by h5djr View Post
    It's a long story over a period of time but there was a member on this forum with the ID Pilot Audi hence PA who was rather a pain in a**e and in the end Warren, who is one of the moderators banned him from the forum. We think he was trying to get back into the forum using another user ID (S3 Owner) so Warren checked the incoming IP address and it was the same, so he banned him again. The 'tone' of the posts from S3 Owner was much the same as from Pilot Audi. His posts seemed designed to belittle as many members as possible and basically there were two ways of doing things, his way and the wrong way.
    Sounds like my wife!

  29. #68
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Porter View Post
    Sounds like my wife!
    I hope Mrs Porter doesn't look in to the forum otherwise you could be in trouble!!
    Dave R (h5djr)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A3 8V 2.0 TDI-184 Sportback Sport s-tronic quattro - Silver + lots of options - my 9th A3

  30. #69
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Staffordshire
    Posts
    1,242
    well well well...haven't been following this forum for a few weeks...and after this, certainly haven't missed it
    see ya in a few more I think!

 

 
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. Alpine KCE-425i - Full Ipod RNS-E control - video in motion
    By mattandrew in forum For Sale/Wanted - Audi Parts
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 20th February 2013, 07:05
  2. Video in motion. Activation help. 2011 B8
    By Surfstar in forum General Automotive Chat
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 19th July 2011, 22:10
  3. Video In Motion
    By N8 in forum A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 30th August 2009, 15:43
  4. Video in motion*****That can be made free
    By dsts in forum General Technical / How To
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 1st August 2009, 12:36
  5. Video in motion*****That can be made free
    By dsts in forum General Technical / How To
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 1st August 2009, 12:34

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO

Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO