MMI/AMI cables

T800

Reaction score
On ebay there are some MMI/AMI cables (which is the correct abbreviation?) that are for ipod, USB or 3.5mm phono jacks.

When an ipod is connected does it also get charged? If it does does that mean in the wiring there are connections for 5v power and stereo audio?

Ideally I would like a cable that plugs into the car and breaks out into USB and a 3.5mm audio jack in one cable. Is this possible? Would I have to make my own?

Nexus 7, in my cuurent car I have a bluetooth receiver on a 3.5mm jack that I charge with USB.

MMI is the system, AMI is the interface/cables.

There are pinouts for the AMI on the internet in places (I've seen them before), and it'd be trivial to make your own cable that does this, but I don't think it would be necessary - most modern android devices are capable of outputting analogue audio signals through the data lines of the USB cable when certain resistors are applied to the 5th pin in micro USB to tell it such a device is attached. If an AMI cable isn't available that can do this (I would have to test mine, never tried it!), again it would be trivial to make your own.

Thanks for that. I'm planning on putting the Nexus 7 in the front centre console where the cup holders are and I want it be pretty much wire free zone after my current spaghetti junction. A 5v supply and a 3.5 jack hidden for the bluetooth receiver in the rear centre console would be ideal. I could also connect my phone via the cars own bluetooth then.

Why not use the audio output provided by the tablet already, freeing the bluetooth for you phone instead? Bluetooth is standard spec on the A3 now, you don't need a receiver box...

Ah yes, forgot the AMI was in front of that position! Still, I'd probably take the console apart and try and hook into the back of the MMI connector where the AUX in pins are if I was doing it. Might be a bit much though!

Why don't you just bluetooth the tablet to the car directly? I'd think easiest power for a front mounted tablet would be a cable from the front 12V socket which is just behind the cupholders.

As for the AMI you can get a cable which has a standard USB socket, or mini B or micro B. All of these are powered - I often charge my phone via the AMI cable.

If I bluetooth the tablet into the car will I be able to play/stream music via the data connection? I don't just want to use the audio files that are stored on the device.

If that is possible how do I then use my phone with the car too? Can you have two devices connected via bluetooth?

You have an option to connect a device for hands free and one for music. With my iphone 5 yes you can play any app over Bluetooth. I use spotify a lot on the phone, also sky go to listen to sports.

That's great! I probably should have just asked that first! :)

As mentioned above just charge it on 12v plug next to the cup holders

Yep cool, gonna throw a Qi Wireless charger in the arm rest on the AMI cable for the phone.