Saloon Delays

ketch_01

Reaction score
Hi...first post on here...I ordered an A3 Saloon company car back at end of Feb and have been given an estimate collection date of September, it seems a really long wait, and having a look through the forum it looks like a lot of a3 sportbacks are arriving within 16 - 20 weeks.

Is there a partic reason why the saloons are taking longer? Just curious really

Thanks

Really September? I ordered mine at the end of Feb and getting it tomorrow :/. From what I can see it might depend on the dealer you go through.

Nice 1 mate - yer it does seem to vary on whether the dealer can sort you out or not it seems. What spec ya gettin?

1.4 COD TFSI S-Line
Daytona Grey
Pana Roof
Light and Rain Sensors
19" Alloys
Folding Mirrors
SD Based Nav

Can't wait! Hopefully September rolls up quickly for you!

Reactions: cuke2u
Great choice going for the saloon and excellent colour! :)

Hope the wait doesn't become too intolerable

I ordered my sport back in January and it's only getting built in July - I think the delay is to do with dealer allocation

I ordered my Sportback at the end of Jan and it came at the end of march

I got this reply from my dealer on Friday.

Thanks for your email; your car is still awaiting a confirmed build week. Due to the "S" models being sought after the factory keeps production levels down to keep the residual values of the cars up. We have chased this up with the factory as we know it has been about 6 weeks since you placed your order. Once we hear something back from them we will be in touch.

There is a similar issue with the S Line for the Cabriolet. Apparently many of the dealerships ordered them for their demonstrators and that took up the planned allocation of S Line models....

I ordered my S3 saloon mid December and it's due 1st week of June. I think most saloons are a long wait.

I got this reply from my dealer on Friday.

Thanks for your email; your car is still awaiting a confirmed build week. Due to the "S" models being sought after the factory keeps production levels down to keep the residual values of the cars up. We have chased this up with the factory as we know it has been about 6 weeks since you placed your order. Once we hear something back from them we will be in touch.

Hi mate - have they not even given you an estimated build date yet?

For anyone that has not yet got a build allocation slot on their S3 saloon, I spoke to my dealer today and he said there is great demand not just for S3's but the saloons in general.
He said don't shoot the messenger but it is highly unlikely to be ready for September.....:(
Oh well roll on summer.....

I ordered my 2.0TDI S-Line saloon in 1st wk. Feb. Confirmed build wk. 24 so deliv Mid July.

3 others in my office all ordered sport saloon's in the same week and all have taken delivery already. For sure Audi must be trying to keep a balance between sport/s-line stock.

First post on here. We planned to purchase an A3 Sportback and arranged a test drive in the 1.4 TFSI. When we got to the dealer they said they couldn't get a Sportback (1.4's as rare as hen's teeth apparently). But they got us a Saloon. Once we saw it we started to doubt the Sportback decision and by the time we completed the test drive we were sold. OK - getting stuff in the back of the saloon is not so easy - but it really is beautiful!!So we ordered the same spec as we were going to have with the Sportback and were given 14 weeks delivery estimate. This seemed a long time. It was late March, so we planned to delay delivery until 1st September to get a 64 plate.Then, in late June we were told that there was a huge backlog and delivery would not be before end Sept.Last week the dealer called and gave us a "provisional" build date of week 44 (end October).So we are now hoping it comes in time for Christmas!!.It is a shame that we will miss out on the summer with the new car, but we are convincing ourselves that we will have a rare and beautiful car that everybody wants and no one can get.

Yes my dealer says that there is exceptional demand for saloons, cabriolets and also 3 doors - only the SB is in better supply situation.

They are launching in India next month, so I bet that is having a big impact. Also - the dealer told us that the factory shuts down for 4 weeks in the summer!!

I have read that Audi are unwilling to step up production as they feel that speeding up the production line will affect the quality and the saloon's residual value, ie too many saloon's in the market.

They are launching in India next month, so I bet that is having a big impact. Also - the dealer told us that the factory shuts down for 4 weeks in the summer!!

A lot of the motor industry does. It's a legacy of the days when there was one registration change per year, on August 1st. The manufacturers would work like crazy building up an inventory of cars ready for that date, then shut down for August basically :)

I have read that Audi are unwilling to step up production as they feel that speeding up the production line will affect the quality and the saloon's residual value, ie too many saloon's in the market.

Yep, I keep getting told this off my dealer each time I ask for a build date.😕

I ordered my S3 Saloon late December, took delivery last week .... Brill car big smile everytime I drive it :)

I ordered an S3 Saloon at the start of June and was told to expect delivery in December, hopefully that doesn't slip too much.

Something tells me I could be waiting till next year for mine! :(

I'm thinking about ordering an S3 Saloon for delivery around June time, if these dates are anything to go by then I should probably put my order in around Nov/Dec time would you agree?? - December probably a better time for discounts as well with it being the end of the year

I waited six weeks from order to collection.......................

The wise thing to do if you want it quickly is persuade the Dealer to allocate a stock order that's still configurable to you. Ordered my S3 end of May picked it up first week of July.

The wise thing to do if you want it quickly is persuade the Dealer to allocate a stock order that's still configurable to you. Ordered my S3 end of May picked it up first week of July.

You're right Steeve but the current demand for A3 and S3 models has meant that a lot of dealers have no more stock orders to stock amend. My dealer has had to revert to placing factory orders, with the consequent increase in delivery time.

I'm glad I got mine Pre-reg and saved £7k in the process!

Reactions: illingworth22 and amped2