A3 comparison

A3Kent

Reaction score
Hi people

I've come over from the 8P forum to ask about people's thought process when deciding to go for an A3 over perhaps the BMW 1 Series, VW Golf or Mercedes A-Class etc.

The reason I ask is that I'm thinking of changing my 2009 A3 Sportback 8P (spec in signature) and pretty much thought I'd switch to the 8V S-Line Sportback 184PS Quattro but I've seen a fair few Merc A-Class with the AMG body kit on and really like the look of them.

However, a lot of comparison reviews seem to pick out the A3 as still the best one out of it's class.

What are others peoples opinions on the A-Class and whether you had considered it before choosing the A3?

I considered it but didn't like the look of the plasticky interior of the A-Class. The built in Sat Nav looks like a cheap knock-off.

Reactions: A3Kent
For me it was all about the interior and the options list and A3 won hands-down. I agree the AMG looks great but I was never looking for hard-core. My teeth are loose enough as it is.

Reactions: steeve and A3Kent
Hi,

I recently purchased an 8V.

Before buying I looked at the Golf and the Mercedes A-Class.

Golf was OK, found the interior bland, very plastic compared to the A3, drive was OK, but the costs when specc'ed up were quite close to the A3.

The A-Class, liked the looks, had one (SE Diesel) as a hire care for work for 2 days (long trip to Birmingham) and also had a test drive in the A-Class with the AMG kit and suspension but I lke my spine too much to have spent more than 10 mins in that.

The SE spec drove well, comfortable and liked seats and interior lighting (not LED) but found the rest of the inerior felt like poor quality, lots of cheap plastic, far too many buttons and I can see the screen and the large plastic across the dash rattling within 2 weeks - especially with the AMG suspension.

The deals available to me at the time meant the Audi (SB 1.2 S-Tronic, Privacy Glass, Comfort pack, Heated Seats and Interior light pack) worked out around the same cost as an SE spec'd A-Class.

So glad I went with the Audi - quality feel about it, excellent interior, Sport suspension is actually smoother/more comforatble than the 3 years old A class SE that I had before !.

Same as, I did like the look of the A-Class and the CLA but the styling was a tad over the top for me and the interior is not quite as nice of a place to be.

Definite +1 on the screen too, looks like an ipad knock off bolted to the dash.

Not sure if you have sat in an 8V yet but I made the same move (8P to 8V) and always thought the 8P interior was special but the 8V knocks spots of it, build quality is awesome, and makes the 8P feel really dated now.

The only car I have have sat in recently, which starts to even come close in terms of build quality is the brand new mini (strangely enough)

There's some good stuff in here and a lot of it I've read elsewhere which pretty much confirms that my next car is the 8V.

I think i'll have to wait a little while to be able to justify the cost of a Sportback S-line 184PS Quattro though!!

Keep the thoughts coming though people, that AMG body kit is so appealing but I shouldn't be buying a car based on looks alone!!

Thanks

I compared the CLA (AMG Sport) with A3 saloon (S-Line)

The interior quality as well as rear passenger room were the deal clinchers for me.

I also preferred the classier styling of the Audi over the CLA which for me was too busy.

For me, the A-Class is more "girly" than the A3

A class interior looks terrible. That's enough to put me off before anything else is even considered!

Pretty much the same as all above - A class looks ok, I didn't mind the hard ride but could never get used to the after thought of the media display (shocking effort) and as for the golf again a lot of spec for your money against the 8V but just too dull.

I looked at the Mercedes a45 when looking at the s3! (Still no build date) I found the Mercedes to be too aggressive, in looks, in drivability and in handling, it felt as though they had tried to cram everything from the c63 amg into a small hatch?
The Audi in the other hand was great, coming from a highly modified Audi a4 dtm the s3 felt great to drive, it didn't feel fast until looking at the clocks! It was so smooth compaired to the boost spikes on my current car! The golf I can't comment on as I didn't drive it, but, did look inside and thought that the finish wasn't too good and looked basic?

I've moved from a 8P to 8V

Before I decided, I looked hard at the A45 AMG, but discounted it on cost, the interior, and the bone-jarring ride at low speeds. I could not live with that. It drove and handled superbly at higher speeds though.

The 8V driving dynamics is far better than the 8P, steering on the 8V has more feel than the 8P, but if compared with a Megane RS, is still poor. Lovely turn in, and the engine is a peach. The 8V is also much more refined that the 8P.

Previous thread on 8P vs 8V:

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/new-a3-s3-8v-chassis/208508-honest-opinions-8p-s3-v-8v-s3.html

Another thing to consider depending on your requirements is the poor load entry in the A-Class, rear light clusters get in the way.

I know you should not choose a car on looks alone - but in the case of the BMW I made a exception.. Way too ugly :-(

And as others have mentioned - the screen in the Merc looks like they have got a job lot of Cheap supermarket tablets and bolted them on as an afterthought.

Reactions: The Challinor
Another thing to consider depending on your requirements is the poor load entry in the A-Class, rear light clusters get in the way.

I know you should not choose a car on looks alone - but in the case of the BMW I made a exception.. Way too ugly :-(

And as others have mentioned - the screen in the Merc looks like they have got a job lot of Cheap supermarket tablets and bolted them on as an afterthought.

Ditto on the Merc interior, the screen is awful and really looks out of place !

That display screen in the A class just looks like it's been stuck onto the dash as an after thought...........as soon as i sat in the 8V the quality and design of the interior blew me away!

That display screen in the A class just looks like it's been stuck onto the dash as an after thought...........as soon as i sat in the 8V the quality and design of the interior blew me away!

The interior is worse than a Tata, don't know what they were thinking regarding the sat nav, just shocking.

Reactions: RossR
As a comparison I'm moving up from a S3 8P to a S3 8V and on the 3dr the boot looks a lot smaller to me, checked spec's but they don't back up my assumption, just looks a lot smaller.

yes....the 8V boot is bigger but is higher(lower boot floor) but shallower than the 8P. On my 8P A3 SB I had three identical suitcases that fitted in lengthways (just) but in my the 8V version as boot is slightly shorter the cases do not fit in lengthways but they now fit standing up side by side which they did not do in the 8P

...... unless you have a Quattro, in which case you cannot use the lower boot position !

:(

My suggestion would be to try both the manual and stronic 184. Then make your mind up.

My suggestion would be to try both the manual and stronic 184. Then make your mind up.

I'm after a 184 Quattro I think so the manual isn't an option I believe?

I sat in an A and B class and found it a nice place to sit and it's a very looking car but the review of the ride quality put me off even bothering with a test drive.

My goal was to have a petrol automatic with good ride quality, good refinement and decent interior space in a small body.

The Golf came very close. It has a very nice interior, a slightly better ride than the A3 and great refinement. However once I'd decided that I wanted the 1.4 COD engine the only way to get that in a Golf is in the GT model which is quite expensive.

The A3 has a nicer interior, better seats (in Sport and S-Line trim), is more fun on twisty roads, still has good ride quality, has a great MMI screen which is much better than the Golf's touch-screen. The fact that there's very little difference in price between the Golf and A3 and the A3 has better residuals made it a no-brainer for me.

Looked t the BMW M135i and A45 AMG before settling on the S3. BMW was largely rejected on looks and lack of a RHD x-drive model. Merc failed on price, just too much extra cost for what you get, ride quality being harsh as you like doesn't do it any favours wither.