• 2 Post By SilureMark
  • 2 Post By balsaq
  • 2 Post By balsaq
  • 3 Post By veeeight

Thread: S3 DSG Gearbox

Neutral

Status

S3 DSG Gearbox

Does know anyone if there are any way to change the direction of the shift lever?
    I mean... pressing forward is for gear up and I would like to gear down. And pressing back I would like to gear up.

Maybe Im too odd

Thanks!

2. # ADS
    ADS

4th Gear

Status
    Any specific reason for that ?
    Steeve

Neutral

Status
    I continually mistaken when using gear lever (but not when using shift paddles on the steering wheel)

2nd Gear

Status
    I've got a manual myself but I recently had a new a6 with auto.
    I found the very same issue.

When you play any game with a gear selector or look at any sport car, push forward is got gear down and pull back is for gear up. It's just natural.
    I don't understand why audi is different
    Fiddie likes this.

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by kanecullen89 View Post
    I've got a manual myself but I recently had a new a6 with auto.
    I found the very same issue.

When you play any game with a gear selector or look at any sport car, push forward is got gear down and pull back is for gear up. It's just natural.
    I don't understand why audi is different
    Yes. I think my problem is caused by video-games
    warren_S5 and kanecullen89 like this.

1st Gear

Status
    I dont think its caused by games - look at any proper race car semi auto and it push to go down and pull to go up. The games copied actual race car set ups
    Fiddie likes this.
    Currently testing Audi's RS3 brake fix......will it work

Neutral

Status
    Do you think it could be changed using VCDS?

Flying low level

Status

My Social Networking

Follow Helifella On Twitter
    I had same issue in a Brabus Smart. A lot of manufacturers seem to do it that way.
    Fiddie likes this.
    RegardsHeliFellaVCDS newbie.8V now ordered...I.A.M. Member http://www.iam.org.uk/about-us/ '61 spec, A3 Sportback S-Line Black Edition in Ibis White, EM Tuning upgraded LED extended interior XL lightpack,Duxback Glass Treatment, Diamond Vision front fog lights, shortened number plates, gloss black rear rings & black edition S-line wing badges. Blackvue DR550GW 2 channel in-car camera with Smart Power battery protection.

1st Gear

Status
    You'll quickly get used to it and then it's second nature... assuming the s3 box is the same as my last two TT's boxes (I didn't check when I test drove the S3's) what I don't like is that the gear lever gets pushed away from you to select manual mode - of course if you're sitting in a left hand drive car that's fine. Essentially Audi were too lazy to modify that for right hand drive vehicles. Strongly recommend the AMD s tronic remap for the S3 - had that on my TTRS and it really improved everything that's annoying about the double clutch box - putting me in control! Going to have my new S3 sorted straight after delivery!
    warren_S5 and S3Alex like this.
    S3 Misano Red | s tronic | super sport seats | black styling pack|10 spoke matt titanium alloys | privacy glass|technology pack high with mobile | audi sound system | through load | light & rain sensor pack | rear parking sensors | electric folding mirrors | tyre pressure monitoring | non smoking pack | registered 06/06/2014

1st Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Add RYuill on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by SilureMark View Post
    Strongly recommend the AMD s tronic remap for the S3 - had that on my TTRS and it really improved everything that's annoying about the double clutch box - putting me in control! Going to have my new S3 sorted straight after delivery!
    Can you please explaine this in a bit more detail? can you have it so it dosn't change gear for you, like once you hit the limiter in manual?
    2014 S3, S-tronic, Glacier white, Black styling pack, Privacy glass, Light and rain sensor, LED headlights, Black 3D inlays, Non smoking pack, Adaptive cruise control, ASS, Hold assist, Sat Nav

Meow.

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by RYuill View Post
    Can you please explaine this in a bit more detail? can you have it so it dosn't change gear for you, like once you hit the limiter in manual?
    You can bounce the car off the limiter with a DSG map when it's in manual.
    Fiddie and RYuill like this.

2nd Gear

Status
    If it can't be sorted by vcds then take the centre console apart n swap the microswitches around
    Fiddie likes this.

1st Gear

Status
    I'd really like the shift up/down to be the other way round too. It's just not natural to me and I STILL have to think before I shift manually using the lever. If I don't concentrate I often shift the wrong way!... I like using the stick (I miss my manual) but I have to use the paddles to avoid embarrassing mis-shifts!
    Fiddie likes this.

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by lee_fr200 View Post
    If it can't be sorted by vcds then take the centre console apart n swap the microswitches around
    Can I do it myself? It does affect warranty?

2nd Gear

Status
    I doubt they would ever know

1st Gear

Status
    Even if you can get it to reverse the actions, the "+" and "-" labels would then be the wrong way around and can't see a way of changing that nicely.

Just live with it and use the paddles.
    Audi 8V S3 s-tronic
    Phantom Black | Black styling pack | Titanium 18" alloy wheels | LED headlights
    Super sports seats | mono.pur
    | Bang & Olufsen | Advance key | Interior LEDs
    Technology pack | Audi Connect | Parking System Plus | Reversing Camera
    ACC | Hold assist | Pre-sense | Headlight assist | Privacy glass | TPMS
    LTE data by EE | Paint protection by Gtechniq | more to come...

1st Gear

Status
    It's laid out how it should be - push it forward to go up a gear + and back to go down -

I'm lost as to why some of you think that's counterintuitive and want that reversed.

AMD s tronic remap: AmD Tuning are pleased to announce that we can now offer our own DSG gearbox software upgrade.

The DSG remap upgrade is a great addition to an all ready impressive gearbox, the remap gives the driver back full control in manual/sport mode as well as enabling full use of the engines power range.

The DSG gearbox remap includes the following features :-

- Launch control enabled at 3200rpm.

- The torque limit built into the factory software has been increased to 500Nm (368lbft). Please note: these limits are not hardware limits, but built in software limits from the factory. As with all our software, our DSG software operates within the safety tolerances set by the factory.

- In gear display is turned on. (model dependant)

- Kickdown has been disabled giving more control over the car, the car will no longer select gears in manual mode. Driver has full control.

- Auto upshift is also disabled allowing the driver to upshift as and when they please. Giving more control to the driver and allowing the full potential of power to be seen from the car.

Our DSG remap costs £299.95 inc vat or £199.95 inc vat when purchased with our AmD engine ECU remaps. Customers already running our AmD remap can also take advantage of the £100.00 discount.

If you would like any further information or would like to book in please call on 01708 861827 or emaial at sales@amdessex.com
    Fiddie and RYuill like this.
    S3 Misano Red | s tronic | super sport seats | black styling pack|10 spoke matt titanium alloys | privacy glass|technology pack high with mobile | audi sound system | through load | light & rain sensor pack | rear parking sensors | electric folding mirrors | tyre pressure monitoring | non smoking pack | registered 06/06/2014

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by SilureMark View Post
    It's laid out how it should be - push it forward to go up a gear + and back to go down -

I'm lost as to why some of you think that's counterintuitive and want that reversed.
    But it isn't counterintuitive. To you it may be. But if you were to compare it to many sequential gearboxes (which what fidde appears to be trying to emulate by using the gear lever as so), then you'd find that they upshift when pulled back and downshift when pushed forwards.
    kanecullen89 and Fiddie like this.
    Brilliant Red 2014 Audi S3 SB - S-tronic | Comfort pack | Tech pack with connect | B&O | Interior Lighting Pack | Lunar Silver leather | 3D Black Inlays | Aluminium Roof Rails | Anthracite 5 Twin Spoke Alloys

Neutral

Status
    I think just like balsaq

Quote Originally Posted by Fiddie View Post
    I think just like balsaq
    I've been driving with an DSG/s-tronic for 10 years and the current setup seems perfectly logical to me.
    Dave R (h5djr)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A3 8V 2.0 TDI-184 Sportback Sport s-tronic quattro - Silver + lots of options - my 9th A3

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by h5djr View Post
    I've been driving with an DSG/s-tronic for 10 years and the current setup seems perfectly logical to me.
    Naturally you'd be used to something you've been doing for so long... ;-)

I think another similar situation is like that of a flight yoke. Pulling back to go up and pushing forward to go down doesn't seem intuitive to some, but comes naturally to most. It would be one hell of a boring world if we all thought the same
    kanecullen89 and Fiddie like this.
    Brilliant Red 2014 Audi S3 SB - S-tronic | Comfort pack | Tech pack with connect | B&O | Interior Lighting Pack | Lunar Silver leather | 3D Black Inlays | Aluminium Roof Rails | Anthracite 5 Twin Spoke Alloys

5th Gear

Status
    From a pure Human Factors & Ergonomics Point of View, you push forwards to go faster (forward motion), and pull backwards to retard.
    If you got a brand new driver sat in a car, they would instinctively push a gear lever forward to go forward.

Plus - from the days of

P
    R
    N
    D

To select a lower gear, you pull the lever towards you.

However - from a historical point of view, sequential gearbox (eg: motorcycle) you would (apart from 1st) "pull" the lever to change up.

Also - from a dynamics point of view, under acceleration, there is a argument that when accelerating, and when you're pushed back into your seat, it's easier to pull the stick backwards (not fighting forces) to change up, and when braking, again, you're not fighting forces by pushing the stick forwards when braking.

Different manufacturers have different POVs (based on the aforementioned) so there is no universal standard.

Porsche is currently suffering an identity crisis, in all their PDK cars (except GT3) it's push to upshift, in the GT3 (with PDK S) it's pull to upshift.
    Go figure.

The lovely thing about being human is the ability to adapt
    the_lecht_rocks, balsaq and Fiddie like this.

S3 8V 3DR DSG ACC ABS ADS AMI ASR ASS DAB DBW DIS DRL EBA EBD EDL EGR EPB EPS ESP GPS LED MFSW MMI PDC PSF RAC SDXC TFSI CO2 EEC OTR WTF OMG