Insurance

megacatt

Reaction score
Morning All,
I pick up my S3 this afternoon (hooray!) and was sorting out my insurance yesterday evening. It turned out that my current company would only insure me for theft if I had a tracker fitted. Has anyone else had this problem or is it just LV?

Also, thanks for all of the useful stuff that I've been reading as a skulker for the last few months.

Thats very strange! I had no issues what so ever on insurance.

You should give Churchill or Privilege a call. If you have 8 years or over no claims plus a new customer, they give you up to 80% off. Im 26, with 9 years no claims with 6 point and pay £281 for insurance!

Reactions: RYuill
Have a look through Quidco as well, I got £70 cashback on my Aviva policy

A few things to read the policy throughly for:

When comparing policies, be sure to compare like for like:

Some companies do not allow you to specify a repairer of your choice (so you could end up with a non-approved Audi repairer, using non-genuine parts). Some companies charge you an excess if you want to use a repairer of your choice eg: Aviva

Some companies will not insure PCP or finance lease cars - eg: More Than will not insure you unless you are the Legal Owner AND Registered Keeper. On PCP you are not the legal owner, the finance company is.

Make sure you know what their compulsary excess is - and your voluntary excess is on top of this

Is a courtesy car included for both Accident Damage, and Fire/Theft? And for how long?

edited to correct Insurance Company name

Last edited:
I'm with 'Premium Choice' currently. Absolutely awful, avoid at all costs! Thinking of just changing mid way through my policy and incurring the penalty they are that bad.

^ I did this with Churchill, when I changed car from 8P to 8V.

It was a £280 annual premium, but to change car with 4 months remaining, they wanted an additional £147.

I cancelled, incurred a £40 "administration fee", and got £60 back.

Reactions: cemerson
QuoteMeHappy will not insure you unless you are the Legal Owner AND Registered Keeper.

Have you got a source for that? The policy document on there website suggests otherwise.

Reactions: RossR
I've had some flack for suggesting this in the past but I'm with Audi insurance and have always given me super duper quotes and price match.

29 years old, 3 windscreen claims and 1 non- fault and Mrs with 3 points. 6 years NCB - £398. Also guaranteed to be rapaired by Audi so happy days.

My bad, I meant "More Than" won't insure you if the car is on PCP.

If you do an online quote, and say you are the legal owner and registered keeper, it will return an annual premium figure.

If you then go back and modify the online proposal to say you're not the legal owner - it will return a "Sorry, we cannot insure you on this occasion".

Insurance for cars on PCP - MoneySavingExpert.com Forums

https://www.google.co.uk/url?q=http...YQFjAG&usg=AFQjCNHu4niGP2pkU7ENOH34HfZhFr0beQ

Intresting question this - I would actually say you are the legal owner of your car with PCP the same way you would be the legal owner of a house albeit with a mortgage against it. If payments are up to date it's yours. If for any reason the lender has to take procession and in the banking / finance world this is known as "realising" it's security then it would pass to their ownership with the view of shifting it quickly as banks are not car dealers. I have got a number of banking qualifications and this was a subject that was debated heavily in my classes. A mortgage or loan charge is very different to a bank / finance company having legal ownership.

If the car was on a contract hire basis (you lease it) would agree with you not being the cars legal owner and then the MoreThan condition applies.

Audi S3 ordered, 20 years old 1 claim and nearly 2 years no claim bonus for 600 quid with Admiral multi car insurance… My A1 Black edition 185bhp is 550 so if the S3 is the exact same details but with another year no claims then hell yeah!!!! Thank you very much admiral… But this was a quote for June as my car doesn't arrive till September so yes it could change but i don't imagine a huge bit (i hope)

Intresting question this - I would actually say you are the legal owner of your car with PCP the same way you would be the legal owner of a house albeit with a mortgage against it. If payments are up to date it's yours. If for any reason the lender has to take procession and in the banking / finance world this is known as "realising" it's security then it would pass to their ownership with the view of shifting it quickly as banks are not car dealers. I have got a number of banking qualifications and this was a subject that was debated heavily in my classes. A mortgage or loan charge is very different to a bank / finance company having legal ownership.

If the car was on a contract hire basis (you lease it) would agree with you not being the cars legal owner and then the MoreThan condition applies.

It seems to be universally viewed (at least, for the purposes of insurance payouts) that on PCP, the legal title remains with the finance company UNTIL the balloon payment is realised at the end of the term.

See this:
https://www.fla.org.uk/filegrab/FLAGuidetoTitleforInsurers-January2012.pdf?ref=730

I've had some flack for suggesting this in the past but I'm with Audi insurance and have always given me super duper quotes and price match.

29 years old, 3 windscreen claims and 1 non- fault and Mrs with 3 points. 6 years NCB - £398. Also guaranteed to be rapaired by Audi so happy days.

Interesting, because Audi Insurance quoted me £809 whereas LV quoted £272. With the free Audi Ensurance I also have the guarantee of the car being repaired by an Audi Approved bodyshop.

Audi insurance have a lot of flexibility in their quotes. They dropped the quote they gave me three times in the space of five minutes.

Audi insurance were a joke with my quote, £2300! I didn't even pay that at 17. Most other quotes were around the £380 - £450 region.

Interesting, because Audi Insurance quoted me £809 whereas LV quoted £272. With the free Audi Ensurance I also have the guarantee of the car being repaired by an Audi Approved bodyshop.

I got flack for recommending Audi and it has been proved right!

So annoying - rang Audi to get my insurance ready for next Saturday on my S3. They quoted me £398 in January so £80 odd more than what I pay for my A1 currently. Obviously this quote needed to be updated as 4 months old.

So......re-quoted at £1,000 premium. WTF? I can not get my head around it. I was abruptly told that's the best they could do and basically end of call. LOL. Egg on face moment! Got online and put all my exact details in and quote come out so £498!

Rang up to moan - got a lovely young girl. She explained that the online system it totally different to call centre system and would have to pay £100 to cancel my current policy to get the online one, the best price she could do is £490 (different price again). In the end it was £15 a month difference to what I pay now. I can't be ***** with the hassle of getting other quotes and cancelling policies etc so just accepted it.

If I ever recommend Audi insurance on ASN again remind me of this little saga and tell me to shut up. :no:

Reactions: phil1824 and amped2
Audi quoted me £1142 which is a crazy price, given my best quote is about a 3rd of that.

You are so, so helpful... I had never heard of free Audi Ensurance and due to your post here on this great forum, I now have. Thank you,
https://www.insurewithaudi.co.uk/products/Ensurance/

Hi,

I had the same for a new S3 from LV!!
Went to Go Compare and they found me 138 insurance companies, I picked Swinton who were not only cheaper, lower excess and didn't need a Tracker.
Nice bit is, when I went back to LV to cancel my insurance on my previous A3 they waived their £40 cancellation fee because "they couldn't insure my new car".

All in all, I count that as a win!!!

PhilipJ

I posted a while back on the Insurance forum, but it's relevant here so it's below:

With most mainstream insurance companies these days it's just a flowchart system on their website, once you work out the cheapest options (that do apply to you) then it can come down quite a lot.

My insurance history is:
Age - Car - Engine Size - Position on policy and policy type - Price paid
17 - Toyota Aygo - 1.0 - named driver FC - £700
18 - Toyota Aygo - 1.0 - policy holder with 2 crashes (of which 1 I was seen at fault) FC - £1400
19 - Toyota Aygo - 1.0 - policy holder FC - £900
20 - Ford Focus - 2.0 - policy holder FC - £1400
21 - Ford Focus ST - 2.5 turbo - policy holder FC - £670
22 - Ford Focus ST - 2.5 turbo - policy holder FC - £518

New car
22 - Audi S3 saloon 2.0 turbo - policy holder - £518

Best ways to lower insurance premiums that I've found:

2 named drivers over 25 with no crashes or convictions - That doesn't mean that the individual needs to be a family member or even live in the same house as you. I have my mum and my uncle on mine (dad wrote off the family car 2 years ago).

Access to another vehicle - Insurance companies won't know whether you have access to another vehicle, you might use one for work. Personally, I drive MoD vehicles as part of my voluntary work.

Car kept overnight on street outside home - Parking on the drive is more expensive because if thieves break into your home and take your car keys they immediately know which car is yours as it's on the drive. I now park my car outside on the road.

Pass plus or IAM - If you have done pass plus or advanced motoring then add that on under your license.

Amend your voluntary excess - my voluntary excess is set to £500 with compulsory of £200 (might be £250 can't remember). It's not every day you crash your car so if you can afford it (which with an Audi one might assume you could being a premium brand and all) then perhaps consider raising your voluntary excess.

Choose a good insurance company for young drivers - I've found that the best insurance companies for young people are Elephant and Admiral. I know they're the same company, but they have different prices. Elephant are better for paying the whole year at once. Admiral are better at paying monthly. Also Elephant and Admiral don't want 5 years history for crashes, only 3; very useful when you're 20/21 and crashed when you were 17.

Use the price comparison websites - Once you have your price from the insurance company put the exact same details into the price comparison websites. Everyone will get different prices, however having spent about what must be at 20-30 hours looking at insurance prices in my spare time in the past few months I've found that compare the market is the best comparison website.

Negotiate on the phone - Once you have your new quote from your online price comparison website call the insurance company up with the reference number. They will match your current quote to the one you did online. Once they've done that ask what else they can do. Be polite and cheerful, not to the point where you're clearly brown nosing or almost asking them on a date, but it's a lot easier for someone in a customer service role to help a polite and happy person than a dull/unenthusiastic/boring/potentially rude person.
I changed my car from a Ford Focus ST to an Audi S3 a few weeks ago and after talking to the lady on the phone for about 20 minutes she said that she could match the price, which was about £150 difference in favour of the Ford.

Get a quote a few months before your policy renews- This one saved me £550 at my last renewal. When insurance companies send your renewal through they'll do their best to get as much money from you as they can. Last year my insurance was £670, the renewal came through at £1100, which is obviously wrong. Get a quote way before your renewal comes through. Insurance prices fluctuate a lot. Even though there are reports of insurance premiums coming down that doesn't mean that yours necessarily will. Get a quote about a month/2 months before you renew your policy and if the quote is cheaper than the renewal quote and the quote at the time of renewal then most insurance companies will honour the quote which was done a month/2 months before.

Let me know if this was useful for you.

I actually got a refund of my premium when I changed my insurance over to the S3 last Friday when I took delivery. £290 fully comp with Esure. GAP was £165 with ALA. Happy days. No tracker needed nor wanted!

Its well worth reading the policy wording on normal and gap insurance. I looked at ALA gap and there is a clause that suggests it won't pay out if you are doing anything illegal. I interpret that to mean that if you write the car off and the police say you were speeding for example then no payout. I can't see the equivalent clause in the Audi gap.

Next I looked a the first year brand new replacement cover on normal insurance. Direct Line says they will replace the car with the same make and model. Aviva says same make, model and specification.

Beware!

Some of the first year replacements say "if one is available in the UK" or similar which makes me think you might be out of luck on something like an S3 where there are few of them sitting in dealerships.

Had long discussion with Aviva about that. That clause means the car must be available either directly or orderable in the UK. I think it is meant to exclude models that have not been available in the UK. They confirmed it in writing.