Audi A3 Sportback , 1.4 COD Sport or 2.0TDI Sport (150)

imran999

Reaction score
Website
t
How do these cars compare against each other......

The 1.4 COD would cost me £1300 less to purchase and has marginally better performance and marginally less economy.
Would i be likely to recover the cost disadvantage in fuel savings or at resale time with the diesel?
Is the 1.4 cod better to drive?
Am i likely to take a hit on economy when doing 70/80/90 on the motorway with the 1.4COD, bearing in mind the official figures are taken at 56mph with a paper weight for a driver.

I also notice in MY15 builds that the 1.4 has gone up in HP to 150 and the 2.0TSI has gone up by 20NM torque. Does this change anything between the cars?

Driving profile
I do around 10-12k mileage per year and this is broken down between
Trips to and from work (35 mile roundtrip mostly motorway)
or to and from train station (3 miles roundtrip in town )
2 or 3 times a year would do a long trip down south (maybe 700 miles roundtrip mmostly motorway)

How do these cars compare against each other......

The 1.4 COD would cost me £1300 less to purchase and has marginally better performance and marginally less economy.
Would i be likely to recover the cost disadvantage in fuel savings or at resale time with the diesel?
Is the 1.4 cod better to drive?
Am i likely to take a hit on economy when doing 70/80/90 on the motorway with the 1.4COD, bearing in mind the official figures are taken at 56mph with a paper weight for a driver.

I also notice in MY15 builds that the 1.4 has gone up in HP to 150 and the 2.0TSI has gone up by 20NM torque. Does this change anything between the cars?

Driving profile
I do around 10-12k mileage per year and this is broken down between
Trips to and from work (35 mile roundtrip mostly motorway)
or to and from train station (3 miles roundtrip in town )
2 or 3 times a year would do a long trip down south (maybe 700 miles roundtrip mmostly motorway)

How long do you plan to keep the car for?

How long do you plan to keep the car for?

A good question! This is key - if you only have it for 2-3 years, the diesel may just be better, better residuals and better trade in. (private is a different matter tho) But if 5 years+ the petrol will be barely any different in depreciation (maybe £500?)

Oh, and the price difference is £1450 (less discount i guess £1.3k!)

Even at 12k miles a year and real mpg 54 mpg (diesel) vs 45 mpg (COD) makes £185 a year difference, less about £20 a year in interest differences - so you would have to have the car for 4 years to make it pay back

I would argue that the economy figures will get closer if you do shorter trips, lessening the benefit...

Summary is there isn't much to choose between them!

Are you going S-tronic or manual

Reactions: bobinder
The 1.4 COD is a quiet, refined and accomplished motorway cruiser and has plenty of grunt for any swift overtakes. It also handles slightly better on the twisty bits as the overall weight is lower as it has a lighter engine. If you only do average mileage here Petrol and diesel fuel costs - Petrol vs diesel - Driver tools - Driving your car - Which? Car is a calculator that might help you decide. In my experience, having owned both a diesel and now a petrol, because of the technology used with petrol engines the 1.4 will not disappoint and I really would not be worrying about mpg.

I've come from an A3 2.0tdi 170 s-tronic to a 140 COD S-tronic and am more than impressed with the overall refinement of the engine.

I am getting over 500 miles per tank ave around 46mpg which was pretty much the same as my previous diesel and now paying anything from 9p to 18p per litre less.

Logically there is very little to separate them, so go with your heart. Do you prefer petrol or diesel?
Personally I do more miles then you and intend to keep the car for a similar period. Logically I should have gone for the diesel. I went for the COD and don't regret it 😊

I forgot to add that I do 13.5-14k a year with a daily 35 mile round trip commute.

Cost wise there really is nothing to choose between them and it is just down to slight differences in performance and above all personal preference, namely:

Slightly better handling and nippiness of the petrol on country roads v better in gear acceleration at motorway speeds

i guess i am still trying to wrestle in my mind, that it is a 1.4 engine all be it that it has a turbo and supercharger attached.

i guess i am still trying to wrestle in my mind, that it is a 1.4 engine all be it that it has a turbo and supercharger attached.

I had a 8P 1.4TFSI and in the end enjoyed telling people they were being outperformed by a 1.4l engined car. Anyway, suggest you test drive both and make up your own mind.

I had a 8P 1.4TFSI and in the end enjoyed telling people they were being outperformed by a 1.4l engined car. Anyway, suggest you test drive both and make up your own mind.

Yep, got a test drive booked in for weekend...as to whether they have the right model of car with the right engine is another matter.

No supercharger, just turbo. There is a twin charged 1.4 but only on the A1. It does feel like a bigger engine. I often have people ask me what engine it is. If I say a 1.4 they aren't impressed, but when I tell them it's 140ps (or 170ps with tuning box) that soon changes. I've had a couple of passengers comment that it's a fast car - one of them rides motorbikes!

And now im deciding between the sportback or the saloon!!! Arghhh the decisions...

Will see what the dealer has coming in soonest and go with that i think rather then wait for factory order

Have you decided on which engine you are going for then?

I was seriously considering the 1.4 CoD. I think it would be the better driving car. However, it has just occurred to me that my work mileage allowance is cut below a 1.6 engine. I think the mileage paid might be about a third less for a small engine. As I do so many work miles the 1.4 CoD is not an option for me - dam it!

Edit to add: should have checked this before posting. Our allowances have changed and it looks like a 1.4 would be ok.

Last edited:
If i choose the 1.4 COD then i can justify going for the S-Line option....otherwise if i go for the TDI, i would have to drop down to the sport model.

Problem now is, that no one seems to have any a3 saloons in minimal spec in either met white, grey or silver. And anyone who does have, isn't willing to discount too much.

I might have to resort to getting a sportback/