RS3 or Golf R400?

steeve

Reaction score
I'm guessing most of you will have seen the details of the potential new hot Golf the R400?

Volkswagen reveals Golf R400 mega-hatch | Autocar

It does look as though this new most powerful hatch will go into limited production. It looks very tempting, it's fitted with the two litre four cylinder EA888 engine. Seems like it's intended to beat the AMG A Class Mercedes AND the upcoming RS3 which will be fitted with the heavy five cylinder engine.

The golf is considerably lighter than the Mercedes and the RS3. I think it looks great and am considering making enquires. For my own reasons I would not consider an RS3 but the Golf perhaps ticks all MY boxes.

What do you guys think?

Report states: To maximise the sledgehammer performance potential of its engine, Volkswagen’s latest concept employs a six-speed manual gearbox

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Well I'll be darned. A manual gearbox. Who'd have thought it.

Looks very nice, a Golf I'd actually consider. If the production model looks anything close to that then they have quite a beast on their hands.

Reactions: kanecullen89 and s3_trev
Report states: To maximise the sledgehammer performance potential of its engine, Volkswagen’s latest concept employs a six-speed manual gearbox

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Well I'll be darned. A manual gearbox. Who'd have thought it.

Looks very nice, a Golf I'd actually consider. If the production model looks anything close to that then they have quite a beast on their hands.

Yet in another article that claims it's a six speed DSG. Amazing, I was wondering if a DSG box for a Golf size car can take 400BHP?

I'd rather have a rs3 personally, tbh I'd rather have the 8p rs3 than a golf r400

I agree with Warren, it's the only Golf I've ever seen that I'd consider as an ownership proposition. Wonder if it'll be 3 door only? Bet it will be £45k-ish though.

I'm not sure what the torque limits are on the DSG boxes, you'd imagine there would be some upgraded clutch packs they could fit to pull it all together as a workable solution, but until they get their press releases materials straight it's hard to say.

Given the Golf R looks so bland I welcome the fact this one has a bit more aggression pursing through it's ample loins, but whether a full on production model would retain all of this theatre? Lets hope this bodes well for the RS3 8V and that a similar tactic is employed to make the whole thing look a bit more steroidal. I was looking at a lovely 8L at the weekend thinking stealth is good, but I love it when the manufacturers just put in a bit more subtle effort into the bodywork to differentiate from base models. If nothing else the buyer deserves it for what they pay out.

Reactions: RYuill
Is it not possible that the RS3 will use the same EA888 engine? I know Audi have stated they still see life in the 5 pot, but that doesn't mean it has to go in the RS3.

Will depend on a number of factors (unit costs / emissions etc.).

Whilst it wouldn't be what the purists would chose it seems that manufacturers are having to be seen to shed cylinders wherever they can, even on the big stuff.

Looks ace ............ i'd have one :thumbsup:

I'm not sure what the torque limits are on the DSG boxes, you'd imagine there would be some upgraded clutch packs they could fit to pull it all together as a workable solution, but until they get their press releases materials straight it's hard to say.

Given the Golf R looks so bland I welcome the fact this one has a bit more aggression pursing through it's ample loins, but whether a full on production model would retain all of this theatre? Lets hope this bodes well for the RS3 8V and that a similar tactic is employed to make the whole thing look a bit more steroidal. I was looking at a lovely 8L at the weekend thinking stealth is good, but I love it when the manufacturers just put in a bit more subtle effort into the bodywork to differentiate from base models. If nothing else the buyer deserves it for what they pay out.

I think most people seem to accept 440lbs as the upper limit of the stock DSG box,with software upgrades to raise the clamping pressure.

Above that,you need a rebuild for the clutch pack,from SSP or HPA,but these are in the region of £3k,so that may well be the reason for going manual in this case,especially as this is not a full production model.

Reactions: warren_S5
Love the exhausts ........

and the rest of the car aint so shabby :)

Reactions: warren_S5
I some times think much of what the journo's write is a lot of guess work. There was a fair amount of inaccuracies flying around about the S1 before launch so I tend to take all of these reports with a massive pinch of salt. We won't actually know what the RS3 will be until a week before official launch when Audi do a press release.

But it is good fun to speculate! I'm thinking the 5 pot as i have read it has ability to go to higher bhp figures. The servicing regime and drivability must be seriously affected on 4 pots over 400 bhp? Seem to remember Evo's needing servicing after 2500 miles or something stupid.

I think it looks tacky personally

It may be edging on that but ....

we moan if the cars are not purposeful / aggressive enough to differentiate the models - at least this Golf does look like it means business :)

Reactions: steeve and warren_S5
There is a third possibility for the RS3 engine wise. They could give it 4 cylinders in some markets (e.g. europe) and 5 cylinders in others (e.g. USA).

Would not touch another VW - cars have been fine, but the service I experienced from the dealerships - ****** awful!

In answer to the question - RS3 every time. It's an Audi and that's enough for me. The current Golf, nice at is, is not up with the A3 on a model by model basis in a number of areas - e.g. looks, interior, standard spec, etc.

Would not touch another VW - cars have been fine, but the service I experienced from the dealerships - ****** awful!

In answer to the question - RS3 every time. It's an Audi and that's enough for me. The current Golf, nice at is, is not up with the A3 on a model by model basis in a number of areas - e.g. looks, interior, standard spec, etc.

What issues did VW dealers give you?

Bar for one, I've had every model of Golf GTI as well as the R models. In general I've found the dealers good. But I suppose there are good and bad dealers for every make? I'm not happy with my Audi dealer and looking for another to use in the future, unless I go back to a VW.

Reactions: Snake Pliskin
Agreed ....... can't judge a car / brand based on one bad Dealer experience.

Other half's car is a VW Scirocco and both car and Dealer have been superb !

Shouldn't it be called the R395?

Personally I don't like the look of it and its down to the air intakes on the front and rear bumpers. Looks too plasticky for my liking but, if these were colour coded it might look a tad better. Also needs another 2 doors for me to be interested. Price could be the killer on the Golf. Anything over £45K and you'd always steer to the Audi. However, if you can keep it well below £40K and its well spec'd and limited it's undoubtedly going to have appeal - just not in an Audi forum!

Shouldn't it be called the R395?

I thought this initially but 400 is the "PS" rating, not BHP.

I really love this car. 400bhp, 3 doors and manual box. Excellent. Just have to wait and see if Audi bring out a 3 door RS3 now!

im an older guy so would go for the A45 AMG but would really consider a Golf but not interested in RS3 at all, the Audi just looks too bland

Both cars may have tough competition with the upcoming ......Honda S 2000 Mid mounted RWD On looks alone its a winner .

And for around the same/ similar money its worth considering .

Not for me :ermm:

I'm not 100% sold on the looks, and in the real world, is it really going to be that much quicker than a Golf R/S3, especially with the S-Tronic box?

I'd be looking at M cars, AMG or (if I could get away with 2 seats) Boxster or Cayman if we're talking £40-45K.

For me, if you're starting to look at £40K + for a basic hatch/5 door, you need something a little more exotic under the bonnet. The 5 pot Audi engine gives it a little bit of differentiation. All Audi need to do is make the S3 a little more aggressive with some flared arches, and that would be the one for me.