Help!!! 1.6 TDI S-Tronic or 2.0TDI manual.

FishyFinger

Reaction score
Hi all

new to ASN and about to place a order for my very first ever Audi. Have chosen the A3 Sportback S Line but unsure to go for 1.6 TDI with S-Tronic or 2.0 TDI manual. Would love the latter in S-Tronic but not got the budget. I have only managed to test drive the 1.8 petrol so would love some guidance on helping me make my decision.
I drive around 25,000 per year and about 20,000 is on UK motorways. I have always driven a manual and my previous cars have always been Golf TDI GT or GTD.
Fuel economy is a priority due to the miles total per year. I am no speed freak but like to have the ability and choice to injection some power when required or just for fun and pure enjoyment.
I been informed that the 1.6 uses a lesser rear suspension to the 2.0 thus a more bumpy ride. As I mentioned the test drive I had was a 1.8 petrol with S-tronic and just loved the easy and comfort or the auto but if the 1.6 is really under powered then I will choose the 2.0.
Any advice, tips, pros and cons is very much appreciated.

Thanks

FF

Definitely 2.0. I have the s tronic but would've had the manual if it was available with quattro...

There was a what car review recently and it confirmed that the true MPG of the 1.6 & 2.0 TDI's is actually the same, so go for the 2.0 and have the additional power and better suspension - I would prefer the s-tronic but not on the 1.6 and would push the budget that little extra for this or drop a few non-essential options.

I have the 2.0 TDi manual and for your type of driving it's a no brainer. If 20k of your miles are spent on a motorway you won't benefit much from an auto, but will always take advantage of that extra power from the 2.0 where you need it around the 50-80mph mark

I suggest you do everything you can to afford the 2.0 TDi with s-tronic. I'd contradict what is said above and say the s-tronic is a big benefit for motorway driving, especially as so much motorway driving is spent in traffic jams, which s-tronic handles very relaxingly.

Reactions: sidibear and Pulp84
I suggest you do everything you can to afford the 2.0 TDi with s-tronic. I'd contradict what is said above and say the s-tronic is a big benefit for motorway driving, especially as so much motorway driving is spent in traffic jams, which s-tronic handles very relaxingly.

Agree with snakehips - if this is a private purchase rather than company then I think you could push to get S-Tronic. If you tell your salesman that it's the 2.0 TDI S-Tronic you really want and if he can't get the deal to your budget then you will have to walk away, ill bet they will work out a deal. They will be even more keen if they secure a deposit the same day. Worked for me on my S3.

Good luck with it.

What's the difference between 1.6 suspension and 2.0?

If economy is an issue, but u want the power, why don't u go for the COD 1.4 engine, s tronic?

The 2.0 diesel s tronic is not that economic vs COD- in fact they both have the same quoted motorway figure! (68.9)

And it's £100 less than the 1.6 tdi, and look at the economy figures vs the 2.0:

COD 1.4 petrol s tronic- 61 mpg (new engine available after week 22, 150ps, likely to be a bit quicker than the 2.0tdi, and slightly better economy)

Diesel 2.0 s tronic - 62.8 mpg

Diesel is around 5% more expensive than petrol currently.

Both are £20 tax, same insurance - just £1400 difference for the car

So in other words, the diesel is a false economy!

Go for Cylinder on Demand, get the better multi-link suspension too!

Last edited:
Reactions: FishyFinger and Daz Auto
I have always driven a manual and my previous cars have always been Golf TDI GT or GTD.

Fuel economy is a priority due to the miles total per year. I am no speed freak but like to have the ability and choice to injection some power when required or just for fun and pure enjoyment.

I been informed that the 1.6 uses a lesser rear suspension to the 2.0 thus a more bumpy ride.
Any advice, tips, pros and cons is very much appreciated.
IIRC the 1.6L S-tronic my wife drives has 72mpg combined. The 2.0L manual is 67mpg - with S-tronic 62mpg.

If you have been used to a more powerful car then don't go back. I did that once and regretted it. The 1.6L S-tronic is nippy and smooth about town but lacks shove around 50-70 for overtaking.

I really like my wife's A3. It is better in almost every way than my Mk6 GTD. It is a lot more comfortable and quieter. It has a smoother 7 speed S-tronic with hold assist. The ACC is really good when you learn how to use it. It is more economical than my car. After 2k miles we are starting to see the car report low 60s mpg. It is a nicer car to cruise in. Which is perfect when we are in the car together.

However, I do prefer the power of my GTD. And we both prefer the sport seats. Having said that I cannot wait to change my GTD for a more comfortable car. I'm looking at an A3 as I can delete the sport suspension. But I do a lot of miles on some really bad roads.

Why not consider a Sport with Xenon light pack. The S Line changes are mostly cosmetic and don't include half the Xenon light pack features. Then you could have 2.0L AND S-tronic. Though you would probably want to change the standard Sport alloys as well.

Reactions: FishyFinger
IIRC the 1.6L S-tronic my wife drives has 72mpg combined. The 2.0L manual is 67mpg - with S-tronic 62mpg.

If you have been used to a more powerful car then don't go back. I did that once and regretted it. The 1.6L S-tronic is nippy and smooth about town but lacks shove around 50-70 for overtaking.

I really like my wife's A3. It is better in almost every way than my Mk6 GTD. It is a lot more comfortable and quieter. It has a smoother 7 speed S-tronic with hold assist. The ACC is really good when you learn how to use it. It is more economical than my car. After 2k miles we are starting to see the car report low 60s mpg. It is a nicer car to cruise in. Which is perfect when we are in the car together.

However, I do prefer the power of my GTD. And we both prefer the sport seats. Having said that I cannot wait to change my GTD for a more comfortable car. I'm looking at an A3 as I can delete the sport suspension. But I do a lot of miles on some really bad roads.

Why not consider a Sport with Xenon light pack. The S Line changes are mostly cosmetic and don't include half the Xenon light pack features. Then you could have 2.0L AND S-tronic. Though you would probably want to change the standard Sport alloys as well.

Although if u get sport + xenon + wheels u will end up spending £1500 extra (vs £2.1k for s-line), and if u are planning on selling within 5 years u will get better deprecation on the s line. Plus u get luggage pack, part leather, flat bottom steering wheel with s line.

And, like I say, cylinder in demand gives him all the spec he needs ;)

Last edited:
If economy is an issue, but u want the power, why don't u go for the COD 1.4 engine, s tronic?

So in other words, the diesel is a false economy!

Interesting idea.

Also the 1.4 COD we test drove works much, much better with the Stop/Start technology. It is so smooth, it is hard to notice.

Last edited:
Although if u get sport + xenon + wheels u will end up spending £1500 extra (vs £2.1k for s-line), and if u are planning on selling within 5 years u will get better deprecation on the s line.

And, like I say, cylinder in demand gives him all the spec he needs ;)
... but the S Line does not include interior light pack, light/rain sensors and adaptive lights... so add another £600.

You are right the S Line will hold it's value better.

... but the S Line does not include interior light pack, light/rain sensors and adaptive lights... so add another £600.

You are right the S Line will hold it's value better.

True- it's all down to what they need!

Hi all thanks for all your replies they have all been really useful and very much appreciated.

This is a company car purchase and need to keep it for 4 years. Will dig a bit deeper into 2.0 TDI with S-Tronic and maybe jumping down to the sport model. Will also look into the 1.4 with COD and see what the tax implications are.

Can anyone tell be if there is a difference in the rear suspension from the 1.6 and the 2.0 TDI

Once again big thanks for your advice.

Must say this is a by far the best Audi forum site on the web, really friendly with great advice.

Just need to make a decision by the end of the week.

Thanks FF

Hi all thanks for all your replies they have all been really useful and very much appreciated.

This is a company car purchase and need to keep it for 4 years. Will dig a bit deeper into 2.0 TDI with S-Tronic and maybe jumping down to the sport model. Will also look into the 1.4 with COD and see what the tax implications are.

Can anyone tell be if there is a difference in the rear suspension from the 1.6 and the 2.0 TDI

Once again big thanks for your advice.

Must say this is a by far the best Audi forum site on the web, really friendly with great advice.

Just need to make a decision by the end of the week.

Thanks FF

If it's a company car then it's even more reason to get the COD-

Look at benefit in kind tax rates for diesel: (my15- 117 co2?)

2014-15 - 19%
2015-16 - 21%
2016-17 - 20%
2017-18 - 20%

Whereas the petrol COD: (my15 -108co2?)

2014-15 - 14%
2015-16 - 16%
2016-17 - 18%
2017-18 - 18%

Quick calc for first 2 years is £35 a month different at 20% tax bracket and £70 difference at 40% tax bracket- add this to the £22 a month difference in company car payments (Arval scheme)- big price to pay!

And the diesel costs more so u will pay even more tax at the same % rate

The more I look at it the more the petrol makes sense!

Trouble is the 2.0 diesel is currently 119 co2s - so even with my15 engines it may end up being two tax bands higher!

Oh
and one suspension is torsion beam (basic, 1.6), and the 2.0 and COD is multilink- better in corners, more sporty? (agree maybe not more comfortable?)

Last edited:
Oh and one suspension is torsion beam (basic, 1.6), and the 2.0 and COD is multilink- better in corners, more comfortable
My wife's car has torsion beam suspension. It is considerably more comfortable than the 2 A3 2.0L Sportback Sports with multi link suspension, that we test drove. However, they both had sport suspension and 17 inch tyres. Though I'm sure they would corner better.

Yesterday we drove through a small village with speed humps. I set the ACC to 30mph and was amazed at just how comfortable the A3 was over all the humps. I could not comfortably do that in my GTD.

Last edited:
I have the 1.4tfsi 140 COD S-tronic s-line and coming from a 2011 A3 SB 2.0tdi 170 s-tronic Black Edition I can honestly say that I am getting on average 500 miles per tank (50 litre) where as I was getting ave 550 miles per tank (55 litre) from the diesel and paying anything from £0.12 - £0.18 per litre less.

The COD is a no brainer and I have only done 1700 miles in the new car so the engine has a lot more to give.

Agreed, on my round trip to north yorkshire the engine has plenty of grunt for the 30-80mph dash and beyond. The engine is very refined and quiet as well...

Seniorjj

Think you might of solved my problem. Gonna check with leave company first thing in the morning.

Thinking of jumping down a grade to Sport and adding a load more options. Any recommendations? I am going to spec for Comfort pack, privacy windows due to baby in the rear. Audi audio 10 speaker upgrade, folding mirrors, xenon light pack 18 inch wheel upgrade or not? Like the look but not sure on tyre noise and comfort.

Thanks all for your advice and tips

Seniorjj

Think you might of solved my problem. Gonna check with leave company first thing in the morning.

Thinking of jumping down a grade to Sport and adding a load more options. Any recommendations? I am going to spec for Comfort pack, privacy windows due to baby in the rear. Audi audio 10 speaker upgrade, folding mirrors, xenon light pack 18 inch wheel upgrade or not? Like the look but not sure on tyre noise and comfort.

Thanks all for your advice and tips

Good spec. ACC would be good if doing lots of motorway driving and look at Hill hold assist which is worth it for the money.

18"s ride good on sport spec - think you can deselect sorts suspension if it's not for you and keep the 18" wheels.

Good spec. ACC would be good if doing lots of motorway driving and look at Hill hold assist which is worth it for the money.

18"s ride good on sport spec - think you can deselect sorts suspension if it's not for you and keep the 18" wheels.

There is often confusion between Hill Hold and Hold Assist. Hill Hold is standard on all A3/S3s and stops the car from rolling back when doing a hill start.

Hold Assist is an option (UH2) and costs £90 and holds the car still whenever the car comes to a stop by keep the pressure in the brake system so that you do not need to keep you foot on the brake. The alternative to using Hold Assist is to click on the Parking Brake which has the same effect. In both cases Start/Stop system will normally activate and the engine will stay off until you press the accelerator to move. Both Hold Assist and the Parking Brake will also release when the accelerator is pressed.

I find that 17 inch alloys and sports suspension are a pain, on the roads I drive. The 2 A3s we test drove were comparable to my GTD with the suspension set to sport. Though plenty here seem to like that. Or, must drive on better roads than me.

It is worth watching and reading a few Audi A3 reviews. All reviews recommend deleting sport suspension. Except one that was comparing the A3 handling to a GTI.

Last edited:
I have 18's on sport suspension and find it a little soft, I had the lowered s-line suspension on previous 8P.

Rather than getting into 17'/18's are better and sports/de-selected is better book a test drive and see for yourself as there is no right or wrong answer.

Reactions: Foshiznik and Daz Auto
What's the difference between 1.6 suspension and 2.0?

Didn't I read somewhere on this forum that the 1.6 8V has the multi link suspension the same as the 2 litre. Wasn't it only the Golf MK VII 1.6 which runs on the same MQB platform that has the simpler torsion beam suspension? Please someone confirm or correct this if I am wrong.

No its was the ones under 140bhp so 1.6d and 1.4 122bhp one without multi link

Which suspension is smoother - multilink or torsion beam?

I test drove a 1.6 diesel with 17s and a 1.4 COD with 18s, both sport suspension and didn't notice a huge difference tbh- the 1.4 was a little harder but probably because of the 18s! the COD was better on corners, but I think thats mainly down to the extra 25ps ;)

Didn't I read somewhere on this forum that the 1.6 8V has the multi link suspension the same as the 2 litre. Wasn't it only the Golf MK VII 1.6 which runs on the same MQB platform that has the simpler torsion beam suspension? Please someone confirm or correct this if I am wrong.

I can confirm that my wife's 1.6L A3 definitely has torsion beam suspension.

My understanding is that the difference is only noticable on very uneven roads or under hard cornering. Even then, most people won't be able to notice the difference.

Basically the torsion beam makes both rear tyres move together. Multi link is independant and also allows the tyres to remain flatter as the body of the car rolls in corners. Therefore, giving a smoother ride over uneven surfaces and better rear grip in corners.

This is the suspension in the rear of my Mk6 GTD - "Independent four-link, coil springs, ACC adjustable pneumatic dampers, anti-roll bar." However, my wife's car is far smoother and quieter over all road surfaces. Even if I have my 16 inch winter tyres on, her car is still far smoother and quieter.

Edit to add: I'm sure if we took both cars to a race track my car would handle better. But for real world driving I would rather have the more comfortable car.

Last edited:
Reactions: m0sbf
All I can add is that the 2.0 litre TDI engine is a pearl.

I have been driving my wife's 1.6 TDI Golf on longer journeys and last week went to Dorset and it frustrated me the lack of power and torque when trying to go up steep hills. As this car has the same engine as the 8V A3, I would advise you go for a more powerful option like the 1.4 COD or the 2.0 TDI.

Having driven both 2 litre and 1.6 diesel cars, there is a big difference in power and torque between the two. The way I drive there is also a difference in fuel economy on longer journeys and short town runs. The 2 litre struggles to get over 40mpg around town and has only ever managed low 60's on longer slower runs, averaging at about 53-55mpg. The 1.6TDI is around 5mpg better consistently on both types of driving, if you can put up with the performance. That said, the 1.6 is a spectacularly quiet diesel and revs well. For town driving it is more than adequate, just less so in hilly terrain and on faster motorway runs.

I am pleased I went with the two litre and would have considered the 184 if buying new.

Reactions: Daz Auto
I can confirm that my wife's 1.6L A3 definitely has torsion beam suspension.

My understanding is that the difference is only noticable on very uneven roads or under hard cornering. Even then, most people won't be able to notice the difference.

Basically the torsion beam makes both rear tyres move together. Multi link is independant and also allows the tyres to remain flatter as the body of the car rolls in corners. Therefore, giving a smoother ride over uneven surfaces and better rear grip in corners.

This is the suspension in the rear of my Mk6 GTD - "Independent four-link, coil springs, ACC adjustable pneumatic dampers, anti-roll bar." However, my wife's car is far smoother and quieter over all road surfaces. Even if I have my 16 inch winter tyres on, her car is still far smoother and quieter.

Edit to add: I'm sure if we took both cars to a race track my car would handle better. But for real world driving I would rather have the more comfortable car.

Exactly what I have found regarding comfort and noise. I think there may also be a link between more road derived noise in the cabin and the more complex suspension setup. I think the multi link suspension works much better in fast cornering though. My wife's SE suspension Mk VII Golf with torsion beam has much more body roll with fast cornering.

Last edited:
Engine choice has to be first priority in a any choice of car, and over gearbox, options etc.

Short-change yourself on engine and you'll regret it every time you press the accelerator....

Reactions: reefer110, Foshiznik and m0sbf
Engine choice has to be first priority in a any choice of car, and over gearbox, options etc.

Short-change yourself on engine and you'll regret it every time you press the accelerator....

agreed - but a balance of cost and speed is also a consideration for many - otherwise we would all go for S3 :) Hence why the COD is a great balance of speed (8.3 secs 0-62) and economy (60+ theoretical mpg, 108 CO2s, low tax band BIK)

Decision made today and have ordered the following.
A3 Sportback Sport 1.4 TFSI 140 COD S-Tronic complete with:
electric lumbar support
Privacy Glass
electric adjustable/heated/folding door mirrors
Pearl - Phantom Black
comfort pack
Audi Sound System with 10 speakers
Xenon light pack
18" 5 arm dynamic design part polished alloy wheels

Must admit did fancy the s-line for it's looks and the Daytona grey but I think I have made the right choice. It's £20+ per month cheaper on my tax so that's kool

Been told will arrive early September so might even come with the new 150ps engine. Does anyone have any news on the 150ps?

Massive thanks for everyone's input it really helped me out and it was very much appreciated.

Cannot wait for it to arrive....do not want to wish the summer away but hurry up.

Thanks again all

FF

Reactions: Migwire and seniorjj
Decision made today and have ordered the following.
A3 Sportback Sport 1.4 TFSI 140 COD S-Tronic complete with:
electric lumbar support
Privacy Glass
electric adjustable/heated/folding door mirrors
Pearl - Phantom Black
comfort pack
Audi Sound System with 10 speakers
Xenon light pack
18" 5 arm dynamic design part polished alloy wheels

Must admit did fancy the s-line for it's looks and the Daytona grey but I think I have made the right choice. It's £20+ per month cheaper on my tax so that's kool

Been told will arrive early September so might even come with the new 150ps engine. Does anyone have any news on the 150ps?

Massive thanks for everyone's input it really helped me out and it was very much appreciated.

Cannot wait for it to arrive....do not want to wish the summer away but hurry up.

Thanks again all

FF

Sounds like you made the right choice :) And the sport is a lovely car, especially with the Xenons :) and the adaptives are cool!! Good choice of other spec too :)

And the 150ps will probably be around 61mpg and 8.3 secs 0-62 (this is my estimate!!)

Changed my order today could not resist the looks so cancelled the sport model and upgraded to the S-Line in Daytona. Sadly could not keep the 18" 5 arm dynamic part polished alloys as not an option on the s-line. Rest of the spec remains the same. Feeling even more happy with myself

Reactions: cuke2u and seniorjj