Chris NottAH Fabrications
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 40 of 45
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Help!!! 1.6 TDI S-Tronic or 2.0TDI manual.

  1. #1
    FishyFinger's Avatar
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Surrey
    Posts
    26

    Smile Help!!! 1.6 TDI S-Tronic or 2.0TDI manual.

    Hi all

    new to ASN and about to place a order for my very first ever Audi. Have chosen the A3 Sportback S Line but unsure to go for 1.6 TDI with S-Tronic or 2.0 TDI manual. Would love the latter in S-Tronic but not got the budget. I have only managed to test drive the 1.8 petrol so would love some guidance on helping me make my decision.
    I drive around 25,000 per year and about 20,000 is on UK motorways. I have always driven a manual and my previous cars have always been Golf TDI GT or GTD.
    Fuel economy is a priority due to the miles total per year. I am no speed freak but like to have the ability and choice to injection some power when required or just for fun and pure enjoyment.
    I been informed that the 1.6 uses a lesser rear suspension to the 2.0 thus a more bumpy ride. As I mentioned the test drive I had was a 1.8 petrol with S-tronic and just loved the easy and comfort or the auto but if the 1.6 is really under powered then I will choose the 2.0.
    Any advice, tips, pros and cons is very much appreciated.

    Thanks

    FF

  2. # ADS
    ADS
    Join Date
    Always
    Location
    Global
    Posts
    Many
     
  3. #2
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Staffordshire
    Posts
    1,249
    2.0 TDI

  4. #3
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Cheshire
    Posts
    387
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott View Post
    2.0 TDI
    Another vote for 2.0 TDI.
    S3 (8V) S-Tronic Estoril Blue; A3 2.0TFSI S-Line quattro, Dolphin Grey [sold]

  5. #4
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    205
    Definitely 2.0. I have the s tronic but would've had the manual if it was available with quattro...

  6. #5
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Kent
    Posts
    353
    There was a what car review recently and it confirmed that the true MPG of the 1.6 & 2.0 TDI's is actually the same, so go for the 2.0 and have the additional power and better suspension - I would prefer the s-tronic but not on the 1.6 and would push the budget that little extra for this or drop a few non-essential options.
    Arrived - 8V A3 1.4tfsi COD S-Line Sportback S-Tronic, Daytona Grey, Audi Sound System, Interior Light Pack, Light & Rain Sensor, Alu Roof Rails, Privacy Glass, Non Smokers Pack, Deletion of model & technology.

  7. #6
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Witney, Oxford
    Posts
    238

    My Social Networking

    Follow oufc1976 On Twitter
    I have the 2.0 TDi manual and for your type of driving it's a no brainer. If 20k of your miles are spent on a motorway you won't benefit much from an auto, but will always take advantage of that extra power from the 2.0 where you need it around the 50-80mph mark
    8V A3 Saloon 2.0 TDi S-Line. Daytona Grey. SD Sat Nav. Privacy Glass.

  8. #7
    snakehips's Avatar
    3rd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    North Herts
    Posts
    616
    I suggest you do everything you can to afford the 2.0 TDi with s-tronic. I'd contradict what is said above and say the s-tronic is a big benefit for motorway driving, especially as so much motorway driving is spent in traffic jams, which s-tronic handles very relaxingly.
    sidibear and Pulp84 like this.
    A3 SB S-Line TDi 184PS Quattro S-tronic. Shiraz Red, Tech Pack, Comfort Pack, B&O, Sunroof, LED lights, lots of other stuff.

  9. #8
    Pulp84's Avatar
    3rd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    647
    Quote Originally Posted by snakehips View Post
    I suggest you do everything you can to afford the 2.0 TDi with s-tronic. I'd contradict what is said above and say the s-tronic is a big benefit for motorway driving, especially as so much motorway driving is spent in traffic jams, which s-tronic handles very relaxingly.
    Agree with snakehips - if this is a private purchase rather than company then I think you could push to get S-Tronic. If you tell your salesman that it's the 2.0 TDI S-Tronic you really want and if he can't get the deal to your budget then you will have to walk away, ill bet they will work out a deal. They will be even more keen if they secure a deposit the same day. Worked for me on my S3.

    Good luck with it.
    S3 Sportback S-Tronic - Amalfi White, Comfort Pack, LED headlights, LED interior lights, High-beam assist, hill hold assist, privacy glass, mono-pur, folding mirrors, TPMS, Audi sound system and black Alacantra. Built week 17. Arrived 17/05/14. Wow......just wow

  10. #9
    bobinder's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    171
    What's the difference between 1.6 suspension and 2.0?

  11. #10
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    122
    If economy is an issue, but u want the power, why don't u go for the COD 1.4 engine, s tronic?

    The 2.0 diesel s tronic is not that economic vs COD- in fact they both have the same quoted motorway figure! (68.9)

    And it's £100 less than the 1.6 tdi, and look at the economy figures vs the 2.0:

    COD 1.4 petrol s tronic- 61 mpg (new engine available after week 22, 150ps, likely to be a bit quicker than the 2.0tdi, and slightly better economy)

    Diesel 2.0 s tronic - 62.8 mpg

    Diesel is around 5% more expensive than petrol currently.

    Both are £20 tax, same insurance - just £1400 difference for the car

    So in other words, the diesel is a false economy!

    Go for Cylinder on Demand, get the better multi-link suspension too!
    Last edited by seniorjj; 5th May 2014 at 10:39.
    Daz Auto and FishyFinger like this.

  12. #11
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    353
    Quote Originally Posted by FishyFinger View Post
    I have always driven a manual and my previous cars have always been Golf TDI GT or GTD.

    Fuel economy is a priority due to the miles total per year. I am no speed freak but like to have the ability and choice to injection some power when required or just for fun and pure enjoyment.

    I been informed that the 1.6 uses a lesser rear suspension to the 2.0 thus a more bumpy ride.
    Any advice, tips, pros and cons is very much appreciated.
    IIRC the 1.6L S-tronic my wife drives has 72mpg combined. The 2.0L manual is 67mpg - with S-tronic 62mpg.

    If you have been used to a more powerful car then don't go back. I did that once and regretted it. The 1.6L S-tronic is nippy and smooth about town but lacks shove around 50-70 for overtaking.

    I really like my wife's A3. It is better in almost every way than my Mk6 GTD. It is a lot more comfortable and quieter. It has a smoother 7 speed S-tronic with hold assist. The ACC is really good when you learn how to use it. It is more economical than my car. After 2k miles we are starting to see the car report low 60s mpg. It is a nicer car to cruise in. Which is perfect when we are in the car together.

    However, I do prefer the power of my GTD. And we both prefer the sport seats. Having said that I cannot wait to change my GTD for a more comfortable car. I'm looking at an A3 as I can delete the sport suspension. But I do a lot of miles on some really bad roads.

    Why not consider a Sport with Xenon light pack. The S Line changes are mostly cosmetic and don't include half the Xenon light pack features. Then you could have 2.0L AND S-tronic. Though you would probably want to change the standard Sport alloys as well.
    FishyFinger likes this.

  13. #12
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    122
    Quote Originally Posted by Daz Auto View Post
    IIRC the 1.6L S-tronic my wife drives has 72mpg combined. The 2.0L manual is 67mpg - with S-tronic 62mpg.

    If you have been used to a more powerful car then don't go back. I did that once and regretted it. The 1.6L S-tronic is nippy and smooth about town but lacks shove around 50-70 for overtaking.

    I really like my wife's A3. It is better in almost every way than my Mk6 GTD. It is a lot more comfortable and quieter. It has a smoother 7 speed S-tronic with hold assist. The ACC is really good when you learn how to use it. It is more economical than my car. After 2k miles we are starting to see the car report low 60s mpg. It is a nicer car to cruise in. Which is perfect when we are in the car together.

    However, I do prefer the power of my GTD. And we both prefer the sport seats. Having said that I cannot wait to change my GTD for a more comfortable car. I'm looking at an A3 as I can delete the sport suspension. But I do a lot of miles on some really bad roads.

    Why not consider a Sport with Xenon light pack. The S Line changes are mostly cosmetic and don't include half the Xenon light pack features. Then you could have 2.0L AND S-tronic. Though you would probably want to change the standard Sport alloys as well.

    Although if u get sport + xenon + wheels u will end up spending £1500 extra (vs £2.1k for s-line), and if u are planning on selling within 5 years u will get better deprecation on the s line. Plus u get luggage pack, part leather, flat bottom steering wheel with s line.

    And, like I say, cylinder in demand gives him all the spec he needs
    Last edited by seniorjj; 5th May 2014 at 10:52.

  14. #13
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    353
    Quote Originally Posted by seniorjj View Post
    If economy is an issue, but u want the power, why don't u go for the COD 1.4 engine, s tronic?

    So in other words, the diesel is a false economy!
    Interesting idea.

    Also the 1.4 COD we test drove works much, much better with the Stop/Start technology. It is so smooth, it is hard to notice.
    Last edited by Daz Auto; 5th May 2014 at 10:56.

  15. #14
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    353
    Quote Originally Posted by seniorjj View Post
    Although if u get sport + xenon + wheels u will end up spending £1500 extra (vs £2.1k for s-line), and if u are planning on selling within 5 years u will get better deprecation on the s line.

    And, like I say, cylinder in demand gives him all the spec he needs
    ... but the S Line does not include interior light pack, light/rain sensors and adaptive lights... so add another £600.

    You are right the S Line will hold it's value better.

  16. #15
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    122
    Quote Originally Posted by Daz Auto View Post
    ... but the S Line does not include interior light pack, light/rain sensors and adaptive lights... so add another £600.

    You are right the S Line will hold it's value better.
    True- it's all down to what they need!

  17. #16
    FishyFinger's Avatar
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Surrey
    Posts
    26
    Hi all thanks for all your replies they have all been really useful and very much appreciated.

    This is a company car purchase and need to keep it for 4 years. Will dig a bit deeper into 2.0 TDI with S-Tronic and maybe jumping down to the sport model. Will also look into the 1.4 with COD and see what the tax implications are.

    Can anyone tell be if there is a difference in the rear suspension from the 1.6 and the 2.0 TDI

    Once again big thanks for your advice.

    Must say this is a by far the best Audi forum site on the web, really friendly with great advice.

    Just need to make a decision by the end of the week.

    Thanks FF

  18. #17
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    122
    Quote Originally Posted by FishyFinger View Post
    Hi all thanks for all your replies they have all been really useful and very much appreciated.

    This is a company car purchase and need to keep it for 4 years. Will dig a bit deeper into 2.0 TDI with S-Tronic and maybe jumping down to the sport model. Will also look into the 1.4 with COD and see what the tax implications are.

    Can anyone tell be if there is a difference in the rear suspension from the 1.6 and the 2.0 TDI

    Once again big thanks for your advice.

    Must say this is a by far the best Audi forum site on the web, really friendly with great advice.

    Just need to make a decision by the end of the week.

    Thanks FF
    If it's a company car then it's even more reason to get the COD-

    Look at benefit in kind tax rates for diesel: (my15- 117 co2?)

    2014-15 - 19%
    2015-16 - 21%
    2016-17 - 20%
    2017-18 - 20%


    Whereas the petrol COD: (my15 -108co2?)

    2014-15 - 14%
    2015-16 - 16%
    2016-17 - 18%
    2017-18 - 18%

    Quick calc for first 2 years is £35 a month different at 20% tax bracket and £70 difference at 40% tax bracket- add this to the £22 a month difference in company car payments (Arval scheme)- big price to pay!

    And the diesel costs more so u will pay even more tax at the same % rate

    The more I look at it the more the petrol makes sense!

    Trouble is the 2.0 diesel is currently 119 co2s - so even with my15 engines it may end up being two tax bands higher!

    Oh
    and one suspension is torsion beam (basic, 1.6), and the 2.0 and COD is multilink- better in corners, more sporty? (agree maybe not more comfortable?)
    Last edited by seniorjj; 5th May 2014 at 11:52.
    FishyFinger likes this.

  19. #18
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    353
    Quote Originally Posted by seniorjj View Post
    Oh and one suspension is torsion beam (basic, 1.6), and the 2.0 and COD is multilink- better in corners, more comfortable
    My wife's car has torsion beam suspension. It is considerably more comfortable than the 2 A3 2.0L Sportback Sports with multi link suspension, that we test drove. However, they both had sport suspension and 17 inch tyres. Though I'm sure they would corner better.

    Yesterday we drove through a small village with speed humps. I set the ACC to 30mph and was amazed at just how comfortable the A3 was over all the humps. I could not comfortably do that in my GTD.
    Last edited by Daz Auto; 5th May 2014 at 11:39.

  20. #19
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Kent
    Posts
    353
    I have the 1.4tfsi 140 COD S-tronic s-line and coming from a 2011 A3 SB 2.0tdi 170 s-tronic Black Edition I can honestly say that I am getting on average 500 miles per tank (50 litre) where as I was getting ave 550 miles per tank (55 litre) from the diesel and paying anything from £0.12 - £0.18 per litre less.

    The COD is a no brainer and I have only done 1700 miles in the new car so the engine has a lot more to give.
    Arrived - 8V A3 1.4tfsi COD S-Line Sportback S-Tronic, Daytona Grey, Audi Sound System, Interior Light Pack, Light & Rain Sensor, Alu Roof Rails, Privacy Glass, Non Smokers Pack, Deletion of model & technology.

  21. #20
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    East Sussex
    Posts
    1,573
    Agreed, on my round trip to north yorkshire the engine has plenty of grunt for the 30-80mph dash and beyond. The engine is very refined and quiet as well...
    Now a proud owner of a A3 1.4 tfsi Saloon S-Line, 6-speed, Daytona Grey, Technology Pack, Comfort Pack, Cruise, Advanced Key, Privacy Glass, Audi Parking System Plus, Interior Lighting, Folding Door Mirrors, Light & Rain Sensor. Hold Assist.

  22. #21
    FishyFinger's Avatar
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Surrey
    Posts
    26
    Seniorjj

    Think you might of solved my problem. Gonna check with leave company first thing in the morning.

    Thinking of jumping down a grade to Sport and adding a load more options. Any recommendations? I am going to spec for Comfort pack, privacy windows due to baby in the rear. Audi audio 10 speaker upgrade, folding mirrors, xenon light pack 18 inch wheel upgrade or not? Like the look but not sure on tyre noise and comfort.

    Thanks all for your advice and tips

  23. #22
    Pulp84's Avatar
    3rd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    647
    Quote Originally Posted by FishyFinger View Post
    Seniorjj

    Think you might of solved my problem. Gonna check with leave company first thing in the morning.

    Thinking of jumping down a grade to Sport and adding a load more options. Any recommendations? I am going to spec for Comfort pack, privacy windows due to baby in the rear. Audi audio 10 speaker upgrade, folding mirrors, xenon light pack 18 inch wheel upgrade or not? Like the look but not sure on tyre noise and comfort.

    Thanks all for your advice and tips
    Good spec. ACC would be good if doing lots of motorway driving and look at Hill hold assist which is worth it for the money.

    18"s ride good on sport spec - think you can deselect sorts suspension if it's not for you and keep the 18" wheels.
    S3 Sportback S-Tronic - Amalfi White, Comfort Pack, LED headlights, LED interior lights, High-beam assist, hill hold assist, privacy glass, mono-pur, folding mirrors, TPMS, Audi sound system and black Alacantra. Built week 17. Arrived 17/05/14. Wow......just wow

  24. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by Pulp84 View Post
    Good spec. ACC would be good if doing lots of motorway driving and look at Hill hold assist which is worth it for the money.

    18"s ride good on sport spec - think you can deselect sorts suspension if it's not for you and keep the 18" wheels.
    There is often confusion between Hill Hold and Hold Assist. Hill Hold is standard on all A3/S3s and stops the car from rolling back when doing a hill start.

    Hold Assist is an option (UH2) and costs £90 and holds the car still whenever the car comes to a stop by keep the pressure in the brake system so that you do not need to keep you foot on the brake. The alternative to using Hold Assist is to click on the Parking Brake which has the same effect. In both cases Start/Stop system will normally activate and the engine will stay off until you press the accelerator to move. Both Hold Assist and the Parking Brake will also release when the accelerator is pressed.
    Dave R (h5djr)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A3 8V 2.0 TDI-184 Sportback Sport s-tronic quattro - Silver + lots of options - my 9th A3

  25. #24
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    353
    Quote Originally Posted by FishyFinger View Post
    Thinking of jumping down a grade to Sport and adding a load more options. Any recommendations? I am going to spec for Comfort pack, privacy windows due to baby in the rear. Audi audio 10 speaker upgrade, folding mirrors, xenon light pack 18 inch wheel upgrade or not? Like the look but not sure on tyre noise and comfort.
    I find that 17 inch alloys and sports suspension are a pain, on the roads I drive. The 2 A3s we test drove were comparable to my GTD with the suspension set to sport. Though plenty here seem to like that. Or, must drive on better roads than me.

    It is worth watching and reading a few Audi A3 reviews. All reviews recommend deleting sport suspension. Except one that was comparing the A3 handling to a GTI.
    Last edited by Daz Auto; 5th May 2014 at 23:25.

  26. #25
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Kent
    Posts
    353
    I have 18's on sport suspension and find it a little soft, I had the lowered s-line suspension on previous 8P.

    Rather than getting into 17'/18's are better and sports/de-selected is better book a test drive and see for yourself as there is no right or wrong answer.
    Daz Auto and Foshiznik like this.
    Arrived - 8V A3 1.4tfsi COD S-Line Sportback S-Tronic, Daytona Grey, Audi Sound System, Interior Light Pack, Light & Rain Sensor, Alu Roof Rails, Privacy Glass, Non Smokers Pack, Deletion of model & technology.

  27. #26
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    339
    1.4 cod all the way

  28. #27
    Migwire's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    156
    Blow the budget and get a 184 TDI s tronic quattro.
    2014 A3 Sport 2.0TDI 184PS, Monsoon Grey with privacy glass

  29. #28
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Newbury
    Posts
    81

    My Social Networking

    Follow m0sbf On Twitter Add m0sbf on Google+
    Quote Originally Posted by bobinder View Post
    What's the difference between 1.6 suspension and 2.0?
    Didn't I read somewhere on this forum that the 1.6 8V has the multi link suspension the same as the 2 litre. Wasn't it only the Golf MK VII 1.6 which runs on the same MQB platform that has the simpler torsion beam suspension? Please someone confirm or correct this if I am wrong.
    Audi A3 Sportback 2.0TDI Sport 8V | Monsoon Grey | Comfort Pack | Audi Sound System | Audi Park Assist Plus | Sat Nav | Sports Suspension | 17in S-Arm Alloys

  30. #29
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    48
    No its was the ones under 140bhp so 1.6d and 1.4 122bhp one without multi link

  31. #30
    bobinder's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    171
    Quote Originally Posted by jongeddes View Post
    No its was the ones under 140bhp so 1.6d and 1.4 122bhp one without multi link
    Which suspension is smoother - multilink or torsion beam?

  32. #31
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    122
    Quote Originally Posted by bobinder View Post
    Which suspension is smoother - multilink or torsion beam?
    I test drove a 1.6 diesel with 17s and a 1.4 COD with 18s, both sport suspension and didn't notice a huge difference tbh- the 1.4 was a little harder but probably because of the 18s! the COD was better on corners, but I think thats mainly down to the extra 25ps

  33. #32
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    353
    Quote Originally Posted by m0sbf View Post
    Didn't I read somewhere on this forum that the 1.6 8V has the multi link suspension the same as the 2 litre. Wasn't it only the Golf MK VII 1.6 which runs on the same MQB platform that has the simpler torsion beam suspension? Please someone confirm or correct this if I am wrong.
    I can confirm that my wife's 1.6L A3 definitely has torsion beam suspension.

    My understanding is that the difference is only noticable on very uneven roads or under hard cornering. Even then, most people won't be able to notice the difference.

    Basically the torsion beam makes both rear tyres move together. Multi link is independant and also allows the tyres to remain flatter as the body of the car rolls in corners. Therefore, giving a smoother ride over uneven surfaces and better rear grip in corners.

    This is the suspension in the rear of my Mk6 GTD - "Independent four-link, coil springs, ACC adjustable pneumatic dampers, anti-roll bar." However, my wife's car is far smoother and quieter over all road surfaces. Even if I have my 16 inch winter tyres on, her car is still far smoother and quieter.

    Edit to add: I'm sure if we took both cars to a race track my car would handle better. But for real world driving I would rather have the more comfortable car.
    Last edited by Daz Auto; 6th May 2014 at 11:00.
    m0sbf likes this.

  34. #33
    steeve's Avatar
    4th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    758
    All I can add is that the 2.0 litre TDI engine is a pearl.
    Steeve

  35. #34
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Newbury
    Posts
    81

    My Social Networking

    Follow m0sbf On Twitter Add m0sbf on Google+
    I have been driving my wife's 1.6 TDI Golf on longer journeys and last week went to Dorset and it frustrated me the lack of power and torque when trying to go up steep hills. As this car has the same engine as the 8V A3, I would advise you go for a more powerful option like the 1.4 COD or the 2.0 TDI.

    Having driven both 2 litre and 1.6 diesel cars, there is a big difference in power and torque between the two. The way I drive there is also a difference in fuel economy on longer journeys and short town runs. The 2 litre struggles to get over 40mpg around town and has only ever managed low 60's on longer slower runs, averaging at about 53-55mpg. The 1.6TDI is around 5mpg better consistently on both types of driving, if you can put up with the performance. That said, the 1.6 is a spectacularly quiet diesel and revs well. For town driving it is more than adequate, just less so in hilly terrain and on faster motorway runs.

    I am pleased I went with the two litre and would have considered the 184 if buying new.
    Daz Auto likes this.
    Audi A3 Sportback 2.0TDI Sport 8V | Monsoon Grey | Comfort Pack | Audi Sound System | Audi Park Assist Plus | Sat Nav | Sports Suspension | 17in S-Arm Alloys

  36. #35
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Newbury
    Posts
    81

    My Social Networking

    Follow m0sbf On Twitter Add m0sbf on Google+
    Quote Originally Posted by Daz Auto View Post
    I can confirm that my wife's 1.6L A3 definitely has torsion beam suspension.

    My understanding is that the difference is only noticable on very uneven roads or under hard cornering. Even then, most people won't be able to notice the difference.

    Basically the torsion beam makes both rear tyres move together. Multi link is independant and also allows the tyres to remain flatter as the body of the car rolls in corners. Therefore, giving a smoother ride over uneven surfaces and better rear grip in corners.

    This is the suspension in the rear of my Mk6 GTD - "Independent four-link, coil springs, ACC adjustable pneumatic dampers, anti-roll bar." However, my wife's car is far smoother and quieter over all road surfaces. Even if I have my 16 inch winter tyres on, her car is still far smoother and quieter.

    Edit to add: I'm sure if we took both cars to a race track my car would handle better. But for real world driving I would rather have the more comfortable car.
    Exactly what I have found regarding comfort and noise. I think there may also be a link between more road derived noise in the cabin and the more complex suspension setup. I think the multi link suspension works much better in fast cornering though. My wife's SE suspension Mk VII Golf with torsion beam has much more body roll with fast cornering.
    Last edited by m0sbf; 6th May 2014 at 15:59.
    Audi A3 Sportback 2.0TDI Sport 8V | Monsoon Grey | Comfort Pack | Audi Sound System | Audi Park Assist Plus | Sat Nav | Sports Suspension | 17in S-Arm Alloys

  37. #36
    JohnnyM100's Avatar
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Hampshire/Surrey border
    Posts
    466
    Engine choice has to be first priority in a any choice of car, and over gearbox, options etc.

    Short-change yourself on engine and you'll regret it every time you press the accelerator....
    m0sbf and Foshiznik like this.
    Enjoying my 8V

  38. #37
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    122
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyM100 View Post
    Engine choice has to be first priority in a any choice of car, and over gearbox, options etc.

    Short-change yourself on engine and you'll regret it every time you press the accelerator....
    agreed - but a balance of cost and speed is also a consideration for many - otherwise we would all go for S3 Hence why the COD is a great balance of speed (8.3 secs 0-62) and economy (60+ theoretical mpg, 108 CO2s, low tax band BIK)
    FishyFinger likes this.

  39. #38
    FishyFinger's Avatar
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Surrey
    Posts
    26
    Decision made today and have ordered the following.
    A3 Sportback Sport 1.4 TFSI 140 COD S-Tronic complete with:
    electric lumbar support
    Privacy Glass
    electric adjustable/heated/folding door mirrors
    Pearl - Phantom Black
    comfort pack
    Audi Sound System with 10 speakers
    Xenon light pack
    18" 5 arm dynamic design part polished alloy wheels

    Must admit did fancy the s-line for it's looks and the Daytona grey but I think I have made the right choice. It's £20+ per month cheaper on my tax so that's kool

    Been told will arrive early September so might even come with the new 150ps engine. Does anyone have any news on the 150ps?

    Massive thanks for everyone's input it really helped me out and it was very much appreciated.

    Cannot wait for it to arrive....do not want to wish the summer away but hurry up.

    Thanks again all

    FF
    seniorjj and Migwire like this.

  40. #39
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    122
    Quote Originally Posted by FishyFinger View Post
    Decision made today and have ordered the following.
    A3 Sportback Sport 1.4 TFSI 140 COD S-Tronic complete with:
    electric lumbar support
    Privacy Glass
    electric adjustable/heated/folding door mirrors
    Pearl - Phantom Black
    comfort pack
    Audi Sound System with 10 speakers
    Xenon light pack
    18" 5 arm dynamic design part polished alloy wheels

    Must admit did fancy the s-line for it's looks and the Daytona grey but I think I have made the right choice. It's £20+ per month cheaper on my tax so that's kool

    Been told will arrive early September so might even come with the new 150ps engine. Does anyone have any news on the 150ps?

    Massive thanks for everyone's input it really helped me out and it was very much appreciated.

    Cannot wait for it to arrive....do not want to wish the summer away but hurry up.

    Thanks again all

    FF
    Sounds like you made the right choice And the sport is a lovely car, especially with the Xenons and the adaptives are cool!! Good choice of other spec too

    And the 150ps will probably be around 61mpg and 8.3 secs 0-62 (this is my estimate!!)

  41. #40
    FishyFinger's Avatar
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Surrey
    Posts
    26
    Changed my order today could not resist the looks so cancelled the sport model and upgraded to the S-Line in Daytona. Sadly could not keep the 18" 5 arm dynamic part polished alloys as not an option on the s-line. Rest of the spec remains the same. Feeling even more happy with myself
    seniorjj and cuke2u like this.

 

 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. HELP PLEASE A4 TDI CUTS OUT
    By nazS3 in forum Diesel forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 25th November 2010, 13:07
  2. HELP. 2009 cluster tdi
    By Lewbo in forum A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 14th October 2010, 23:08
  3. 2.0 tdi s-tronic remap options
    By luke1987 in forum A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 14th March 2010, 14:49
  4. jerky 170 TDI S-Tronic issues
    By sausagefinger in forum A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 31st August 2007, 10:34
  5. c'mon help my 130 tdi breathe better!
    By vw754 in forum Diesel forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 6th December 2006, 10:38

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO

Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO