JMB RetrofitsBadger5
    Mr_Snook

Status

Hill Hold Assist assistance!

Hi Guys,

There may have been some previous history of this on the 8V Forum but thought I'd ask.

Basically it is good and I like it however what I find is when it is active and holding the car, when I go to bring the car to biting point and look to move it away it hesitates first time. I have to press the clutch back in and bring to biting point again for it to release, if that makes sense....

Is this right? It is normally worse downhill as I don't want to zoom off when in traffic, but it doesn't want to release easily.

Thanks all

2. # ADS
    ADS

5th Gear

Status

Hill Hold Assist assistance!

Scott has mention this to me yes in his S3 manual, it does seem to take a lot of gas to move

Mr_Snook

Status
    Problem is it can often be too much when your looking to just crawl forward in traffic. Just wondered if I am doing anything wrong.

5th Gear

Status
    It's ok apart from when downhill. I just turn it off myself before moving off

5th Gear

Status
    Not got mine yet so cannot comment but as it happens in Scott's I presume it's normal yes

Neutral

Status
    Hi Snook. I am having the same issues. At first it was a nightmare but I'm slowly getting used to it. You have to be a bit ruthless with the revs and not pussy foot away from when its holding the car. I also find that when I try and reverse, sometimes it will not release at all and I have to try several times before it releases. All in all I like the system but still find that a manual handbrake gives far greater control over the car.

Regards,

Mac
    2014 1.4 TFSi S Line Manual Sportback in Glacier White with comfort pack, heated seats, Audi music system, panoramic roof, privacy glass, tyre pressure monitoring system & hold assist

6th Gear

Status
    I agree but now using the handbrake more and more often and it seems less obtrusive...
    Now a proud owner of a A3 1.4 tfsi Saloon S-Line, 6-speed, Daytona Grey, Technology Pack, Comfort Pack, Cruise, Advanced Key, Privacy Glass, Audi Parking System Plus, Interior Lighting, Folding Door Mirrors, Light & Rain Sensor. Hold Assist.

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by McAudi View Post
    Hi Snook. I am having the same issues. At first it was a nightmare but I'm slowly getting used to it. You have to be a bit ruthless with the revs and not pussy foot away from when its holding the car. I also find that when I try and reverse, sometimes it will not release at all and I have to try several times before it releases. All in all I like the system but still find that a manual handbrake gives far greater control over the car.
    Usually the reason for the handbrake not disengaging is that the car thinks you are not fully in control as the footbrake was not depressed hard enough when you came to a stop or started the engine. So the easy fix is sharp press of the footbrake then move off as normal. Or make sure you have engaged the footbrake hard enough initially.
    A3 Sportback 2.0TDI S-line, - Daytona Grey, comfort pack, interior light pack , aluminium roof rails, Audi speakers, folding door mirrors, hill hold, sport suspension, no smoking pack.

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Daveotto View Post
    Usually the reason for the handbrake not disengaging is that the car thinks you are not fully in control as the footbrake was not depressed hard enough when you came to a stop or started the engine. So the easy fix is sharp press of the footbrake then move off as normal. Or make sure you have engaged the footbrake hard enough initially.
    Is that for hill hold or e brake ?

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by darkcooleo View Post
    Is that for hill hold or e brake ?
    It certainly applies to hill hold but also think the same safety logic applies to e brake as same solution solved a problem a friend of mine was having with a VW hire car the other month.
    A3 Sportback 2.0TDI S-line, - Daytona Grey, comfort pack, interior light pack , aluminium roof rails, Audi speakers, folding door mirrors, hill hold, sport suspension, no smoking pack.

Quote Originally Posted by cuke2u View Post
    I agree but now using the handbrake more and more often and it seems less obtrusive...
    I have now done 1600 miles in my new 8V, 1300 miles in the last week in the North York Moors and I have had the Hold Assist switched OFF for most of the time. I find I prefer just to hold the car on the normal brake and let it creep if I want it too or I use the parking brake. My current 8V is my fifth A3 with s-tronic and in many situation I like the car to creep forward with any throttle input and Hold Assist stops this from happening, hence I have it switch off. Sometimes if I have used the Parking Brake I switch it off before I move as I can pull away more smoothly than having to 'overcome' the parking brake.

I've used a manual parking brake for 40 years so just clicking a switch for the electronic version is not hardship at all. Hill Hold is, of course, a totally different system and works well when doing a hill start.
    Dave R (h5djr)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A3 8V 2.0 TDI-184 Sportback Sport s-tronic quattro - Silver + lots of options - my 9th A3

2nd Gear

Status
    Leave HH on and alter the pressure when you brake and then you can control when HH comes on or not on a per-stop basis....
    '14 plate 2 litre 184 quattro stronic s-line with DTUK box fitted. Extras: comfort pack, progressive steering, adaptive cruise, leather/alcantara seats + lumbar support, Audi sound system, interior lighting, SD card satnav, auto release (aka hill hold), TPM. Daytona Grey.

Quote Originally Posted by arad85 View Post
    Leave HH on and alter the pressure when you brake and then you can control when HH comes on or not on a per-stop basis....
    But what does Hold Assist give me that I cannot get with normal and parking brake. All Hold Assist does is keep the brakes on and I can do that with my foot with or without the Start/Stop cutting in depending on the pressure on the brake pedal or use of the parking brake.
    Dave R (h5djr)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A3 8V 2.0 TDI-184 Sportback Sport s-tronic quattro - Silver + lots of options - my 9th A3

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by h5djr View Post
    But what does Hold Assist give me that I cannot get with normal and parking brake.
    Nothing. Just you don't need to touch anything but the foot brake.

I really really like it now I am used to it....
    '14 plate 2 litre 184 quattro stronic s-line with DTUK box fitted. Extras: comfort pack, progressive steering, adaptive cruise, leather/alcantara seats + lumbar support, Audi sound system, interior lighting, SD card satnav, auto release (aka hill hold), TPM. Daytona Grey.