Music Car Car Music ummmm

neil stait

Reaction score
Hi everybody

In June I should receive a shiny new A3 2.0TDI Sportback Sport

My question is ... How do I get music on to the music system

I am getting the standard system with the 'reach across the car to change the cd' function

I also believe the system takes little memory cards of which I know nothing about and don't know how to put music on

Can anybody help ?

Even the basic system has 2 SD card slots. Buy yourself an SD card and you can store hours and hours and hours of music on it. Much easier than loading CDs.

What format is your music currently in? (CDs? iTunes? etc)

I can't work out how to add a ringtone to my I Phone so I tunes is a definite no

It will be transferring from CD's

Easiest is to rip your CDs as MP3s and use an SD card as others have said - much better than CDs. I don't think I've yet put a CD into my car! Perhaps I should at some point just to check it works!

Easiest is to rip your CDs as MP3s and use an SD card as others have said - much better than CDs. I don't think I've yet put a CD into my car! Perhaps I should at some point just to check it works!

Don't encourage CD use, stick with a nice SD card chock full of your chosen tunes :thumbsup:

I have done, trust me, but I'm still going to check the CD player works at some point while I'm still in warranty!

Reactions: illingworth22
Not sure how much you know about ripping CDs, so apologies if you know this.
You can use Windows Media Player to rip a CD down to MP3 files. You can adjust the bitrate (quality) when you rip the CD.
Use the best rate you can to ensure the quality of the MP3 file is suitable. The usual advice is use the top rate available. In my (old) version of WMP the top value is 192.
You will then have a number of MP3 files. These should be organised into a folder. The folder hierarchy I have seen recommended is Artist>Album, so a folder called U2 will have a folder inside it called Joshua Tree, and that folder will have the MP3 files in it. You can add more Album folders into the U2 folder, or create a new folder for a different artist.

You will need a card reader plugged in to your computer or laptop (or this may be built in).
Insert the SD card (Max capacity 64Gb) into the card reader and then use Explorer to copy the U2 folder to the SD card.
Once the copy is complete, remove the card from your reader, insert in your car, and select Media in the MMI.
Select the relevant SD card, and your music, or whatever, will be displayed.

There are other threads on here which go into the format of the folder heirarchy in more detail.
I have Four top-level folders (Drama; Comedy: Music; Musicals). Under each of these are folders for Album, or Title (Drama & Comedy), or Show (Musicals)
So I have Comedy> Cabin Pressure> S1 and the individual episodes in the S1 folder. Works for me but you may prefer another structure.

There are instructions on how to navigate the folders through the MMI included with the car.

Note: Only picked U2 as it was less typing. :sm4:

Reactions: Jeff777LUFC
One thing to note is that the MMI does not understand the "discnumber" tag, so if you have a CD consisting of multiple discs tagged 1,2, etc., I'd number the tracks 01-XX starting at disc 1 to ensure they play in the correct order. Lazy MMI programmers! I'm just copying my compilation albums back to SD card after editing to test this works OK now but it's going to take a while...

Here you go......... good idea coming up Audi

Why don't you install a cd player that rips the music straight to the memory card underneath

Dragon's Den here I come

Reactions: RYuill

Why don't you install a cd player that rips the music straight to the memory card underneath

Dragon's Den here I come

Most people do that at home instead, rather than in the car! All you need to do then is fill up the storage of your choice and plug it in!

One thing to note is that the MMI does not understand the "discnumber" tag, so if you have a CD consisting of multiple discs tagged 1,2, etc., I'd number the tracks 01-XX starting at disc 1 to ensure they play in the correct order. Lazy MMI programmers! I'm just copying my compilation albums back to SD card after editing to test this works OK now but it's going to take a while...

That's fixed that, now if only they also understood the album artist tag as well - album cover flow is all over the shop, so I browse via folder structure instead.

Another question why do people feel the need to use !!!!!!!

What functionallity does the basic MMI offer from a SD card? (S3 due build week 31).

My current TT has no SD slot, so I use an old iPod classic. But it can only handle 5 playlists of up to 99 tracks each. My previous VW could handle the full 30Gb on the iPod and any of the functions/options on it. I used to use random album, and really miss that. An option on SD?

Ta

Alan

Dragon's Den here I come

Several cars do this already, possibly even the A3 does (it has a 'Jukebox' but I don't know if you can source music from a CD for it)

What is the best file layout for MMI? (i.e. does it work best if you just have a whole bunch of tagged files in the root of the card or does it support folders etc?)

Sorry just a pet hate of mine being talked down to with exclamation marks

Hope I'm not hijacking this thread. But I've got another question (sort of) related to this.

Since changing my mp3s to flacs, the size of my collection is well above any available sd card. Has anyone hooked up an solid state drive (or normal hard disk for that matter) and played flacs successfully? Is there a difference with file type support between tech pack and without?

Hope I'm not hijacking this thread. But I've got another question (sort of) related to this.

Since changing my mp3s to flacs, the size of my collection is well above any available sd card. Has anyone hooked up an solid state drive (or normal hard disk for that matter) and played flacs successfully? Is there a difference with file type support between tech pack and without?

I've got three copies of my music now (it's getting silly) - FLAC for Sonos, MP3 for iTunes (just sync'ing to phone) and MP3 for car (due to lack of discnumber support). AFAIK tech pack supports FLAC but as you say, the storage requirement are quite a lot more than MP3, and with VBR MP3 320Kbps, I don't think you'd be able to tell the difference in a car... my advice would be go with a large enough SD and high bitrate MP3 rather than FLAC. I know it doesn't directly answer your questions - sorry :)

BTW Freac is awesome at transcoding stuff - it did all my FLAC to MP3 conversions flawlessly.

CD's sound much better than mp3's. So why are we downgrading? Is it just for convenience or does the MMI downgrade the sound somehow? To my ears CD playback is so much better through my non-tech pack MMI using the standard Audi sound system than via any other method.

CD's sound much better than mp3's. So why are we downgrading? Is it just for convenience or does the MMI downgrade the sound somehow? To my ears CD playback is so much better through my non-tech pack MMI using the standard Audi sound system than via any other method.

That's why I'm trying to keep to flac (plus i've got a lot and cant be bothered to transcode them all, and seems a shame not to use flac with B&O)

Thanks for the info 0B1001001. What do you mean by flacs not having discnumber support?

It would be great to hear if anyone has successfully played flacs from an external hd connected directly to the car (not sd or via ipod/smartphone etc)

From what I understand if you have the tech pack then maybe but if not then I don't think so.

Why use album artist tag?

Compilations, or other kinds of albums where you have multiple artists within the album. Otherwise the album will show up under each of the artists in the album.

Compilations, or other kinds of albums where you have multiple artists within the album. Otherwise the album will show up under each of the artists in the album.

I know that, I was asking if they were asking why I use the artist tag :)

This all sounds extremely complicated, i think i'll just plug my ipod in and play them from that

This all sounds extremely complicated, i think i'll just plug my ipod in and play them from that

If you can use iTunes - then you should find using the SD card very simple.

Try this if you are on Windows (from memory.......sorry if wrong):

Get an SD/memory card and put it in the SD slot on your computer.
Click 'start' on Windows - then 'music'
When your music appears, select the folder(s) you want, right click and select 'copy'
Now press 'start' and 'computer'
Select the drive with the memory card showing. On the right window, right click and 'paste'.
The folders should now appear. That's it.

If it works, your music is now saved to the card. Plug it in your car and away you go.

Last edited: