• 1 Post By Stevo985
  • 1 Post By Woody86
  • 1 Post By JohnnyM100
  • 1 Post By veeeight

Thread: 6hrs of Hard Graft!

2nd Gear

Status

6hrs of Hard Graft!

After 6hrs hard graft the other weekend, this was the result.....

[URL=http://s1305.photobucket.com/user/squiretolley/media/imagejpg5_zps2163f884.jpg.html][/URL

1. Cleaned wheels with Bilberry wheel cleaner and an EZ detail brush.
    2. Pre-cleaned bodywork with Citrus pre-wash.
    3. 2 bucket wash with Muc Off Ubershine shampoo and lambswool mitt.
    4. Clayed bodywork.
    5. Washed again as per step 3.
    6. Dried bodywork with large drying towel.
    7. Polished with AG SRP and AG polishing sponge.
    8. Waxed with Collinite 476s.
    9. Tyres dressed with Meg's Endurance gel.
    10. Glass cleaned with Muc Off glass cleaner.
    11. Rubber/plastic door/window trims cleaned and treated with Aerospace a Protectant 303.
    12. Exhausts polished with Autosol and 0000 grade wire wool.
    13. 2 bottles of Corona and a power nap on the sun lounger!!!!
    Louay, warren_S5, dragon and 21 others like this.
    A3 Sportback 2.0TDI S-Line 150ps, Daytona Grey, Comfort Pack, Privacy Glass, SD Sat Nav, Through Load, Aluminium Pedals.

2. # ADS
    ADS

5th Gear

Status
    Very similar to my routine, hard work but the results speak for themselves
    squiretolley and Woody86 like this.
    2013 8V Glacier White A3 Sportback 1.4 TFSI S-line Mnaual
    SE Suspension, Tech Pack, B&O, Comfort Pack, Electric folding mirrors, Park Assist, TPMS, Interior Light Pack

4th Gear

Status
    2 bottles must of gone down a treat lookin at those pics!
    squiretolley likes this.

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Louay View Post
    2 bottles must of gone down a treat lookin at those pics!
    They didn't even touch the sides!!
    A3 Sportback 2.0TDI S-Line 150ps, Daytona Grey, Comfort Pack, Privacy Glass, SD Sat Nav, Through Load, Aluminium Pedals.

3rd Gear

Status
    Excellent choice with the Collinite. Always gets great result I find and your pictures prove this.

Good choice on the beer too !!
    squiretolley likes this.
    S3 Sportback S-Tronic - Amalfi White, Comfort Pack, LED headlights, LED interior lights, High-beam assist, hill hold assist, privacy glass, mono-pur, folding mirrors, TPMS, Audi sound system and black Alacantra. Built week 17. Arrived 17/05/14. Wow......just wow

Neutral

Status
    I DOB my hat to your awesomeness, man that's commitment
    squiretolley and Woody86 like this.

Neutral

Status
    Excellent results mate. I've got a soft spot for products from chem guys and autobrite direct. Both do really good stuff
    squiretolley likes this.

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Woody86 View Post
    Excellent results mate. I've got a soft spot for products from chem guys and autobrite direct. Both do really good stuff
    I've recently purchased some Autobrite Cherry Glaze, which will save me a bit of time when I'm being lazy! Going for CG wash and wax next when the Ubershine runs out.

I did buy a HD snow foam lance and Magifoam from AD but having a few problems with it, so not been able to use it yet.

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Pickle1970 View Post
    I DOB my hat to your awesomeness, man that's commitment
    Back breaking to say the least. To be fair I only do that 2-3 times a year and a normal 1-1.5hr wash most weeks.

2nd Gear

Status
    The AG polishing sponge was a revelation, made it so much easier to polish. I can highly recommend.

AUTOGLYM HI-TECH POLISH APPLICATOR: Amazon.co.uk: Car & Motorbike

mjc
    Neutral

Status
    Loving your work – car looks great!

(Interesting, I have a AG Hi-Tech sponge but I've yet to try it out.)
    squiretolley likes this.
    ​Audi A3 Sport 2.0 litre TDI 150 PS | Ice Silver Metallic | Comfort Pack, DAB Radio, SD Sat Nav, 5-Arm 17 Inch Kinetic Alloy Wheels, Black Headlining, Standard Suspension |

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by squiretolley View Post
    I've recently purchased some Autobrite Cherry Glaze, which will save me a bit of time when I'm being lazy! Going for CG wash and wax next when the Ubershine runs out.

I did buy a HD snow foam lance and Magifoam from AD but having a few problems with it, so not been able to use it yet.
    I find the AD magifoam dwells longer than any other I've used. Ubershine is very good but I'm using poorboys slick suds and CG mr pink. Very good results.
    squiretolley likes this.

1st Gear

Status
    Can't go wrong with AG SRP and Collinite 476, exactly the combo use. The result is fantastic on your car!
    squiretolley likes this.
    Build week 13 - 8V A3 184 Sportback S Line

Neutral

Status

Great job Fella!

Is this one of these all in one products? Have you had any experience of it before?

1st Gear

Status
    Looking superb nice work
    squiretolley likes this.

Bazinga

Status
    I know what you mean, it's bloody hard work !! Especially if you machine polish it as well, did mine over a week ago.
    Silky-S3 likes this.
    2012 Misano Red RS3 / Bucket seats Heated front & Rear / Aluminium Styling Pack / Bose / RNS-E / Bluetooth / Mobile phone prep low / AMI / Reversing Sensors / LED number plate lights / Led interior light pack / VCDS / Cruise Control / Exclusive Inlays / Auto Lights & Wipers / 8.5J fronts / extended leather / Michelin Pilot super sport tyres / and a few other things

5th Gear

Status
    Can I offer an opinion?

Autoglym SRP is one of the best all purpose polishes out there, and is my go-to product when I need an all-in-one, but.....

It contains resin and fillers, designed to fill scratches and swirls to make them invisible. On a new car (depending on dealer prep) - you should have very few swirls, so no need to apply a filler based polish to your car.

If you've gone to the trouble of removing contaminants, and claying, then a straightforward fine polish such as one from the Menzerna range would yield much better results than SRP, you don't really want to be putting fillers back onto a clean decontaminated car.

Autoglym SRP is a fine product, but there is probably something more suitable in this case.

Just my 2p

PS car looks lovely, and I am a fan of AB Magifoam
    RossR likes this.

S3 8V 3DR DSG ACC ABS ADS AMI ASR ASS DAB DBW DIS DRL EBA EBD EDL EGR EPB EPS ESP GPS LED MFSW MMI PDC PSF RAC SDXC TFSI CO2 EEC OTR WTF OMG

Neutral

Status
    Went through a very similar routine myself last week. First wash I'd given mine (and it's exactly the same car a syours, just the 3 door instead)

Hard work but worth it.

MIstake I made was not doing a thorough enough buffing the wax. Looked ok on the day but the day after you could see quite a few streaks and bits I'd missed.
    squiretolley likes this.

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by veeeight View Post
    If you've gone to the trouble of removing contaminants, and claying, then a straightforward fine polish such as one from the Menzerna range would yield much better results than SRP, you don't really want to be putting fillers back onto a clean decontaminated car
    Any particular Menzerna polish you'd recommend? Super Finish? Do they need a polishing machine to apply?
    Arrived: MY14 S3 Sportback (Ordered 4th Jan, build week 12 (was 13), collected 23rd April), Manual, Monsoon Grey, Black Alcantara, LED Headlights, Interior Light Pack, Comfort Pack, Audi Sound System, ACC, Parking System Plus, Tech Pack, Electronic Folding & Heated Mirrors, Through Load

Neutral

Status
    Can I offer an opinion?

Autoglym SRP is one of the best all purpose polishes out there, and is my go-to product when I need an all-in-one, but.....

It contains resin and fillers, designed to fill scratches and swirls to make them invisible. On a new car (depending on dealer prep) - you should have very few swirls, so no need to apply a filler based polish to your car.

If you've gone to the trouble of removing contaminants, and claying, then a straightforward fine polish such as one from the Menzerna range would yield much better results than SRP, you don't really want to be putting fillers back onto a clean decontaminated car.

Autoglym SRP is a fine product, but there is probably something more suitable in this case.

Agreed. When my car was brand new the first dozen washes I followed up with dodo juice lime lite to clean everything off the paint followed with a nice helping of AG HD wax and car pro re-load spray sealant for a little extra. Beaded like crazy. Hard days work but no pain no gain

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by 0B1001001 View Post
    Any particular Menzerna polish you'd recommend? Super Finish? Do they need a polishing machine to apply?
    Most of them you do need a DA or rotary machine to apply, but there is one with very low cut that you can apply by hand.

Menzerna Power Protect Ultra has a very low cut, and is suitable for hand application, but this is more of a silicon free sealant. You can still apply Coll wax on top of this if required.

Menzerna Power protect ultra - Detailing World

It all depends if you actually need a polish (with cutting abrasives) to polish up the lacquer layer, or just something to keep it looking good, without actually cutting into the lacquer - in which case you need to find a polish with a Cut of Zero.

Other polishes from other reputable manufacturers are also available

S3 8V 3DR DSG ACC ABS ADS AMI ASR ASS DAB DBW DIS DRL EBA EBD EDL EGR EPB EPS ESP GPS LED MFSW MMI PDC PSF RAC SDXC TFSI CO2 EEC OTR WTF OMG

1st Gear

Status
    Most of them you do need a DA or rotary machine to apply, but there is one with very low cut that you can apply by hand.

Menzerna Power Protect Ultra has a very low cut, and is suitable for hand application, but this is more of a silicon free sealant. You can still apply Coll wax on top of this if required.

Menzerna Power protect ultra - Detailing World

It all depends if you actually need a polish (with cutting abrasives) to polish up the lacquer layer, or just something to keep it looking good, without actually cutting into the lacquer - in which case you need to find a polish with a Cut of Zero.

Other polishes from other reputable manufacturers are also available
    Sorry to take this slightly off-topic but I'm going to give the car a clean and wax this weekend and was wondering if a good wash, then a clay, then a wax would be enough? Skipping the polishing post-clay?
    Arrived: MY14 S3 Sportback (Ordered 4th Jan, build week 12 (was 13), collected 23rd April), Manual, Monsoon Grey, Black Alcantara, LED Headlights, Interior Light Pack, Comfort Pack, Audi Sound System, ACC, Parking System Plus, Tech Pack, Electronic Folding & Heated Mirrors, Through Load

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by 0B1001001 View Post
    Sorry to take this slightly off-topic but I'm going to give the car a clean and wax this weekend and was wondering if a good wash, then a clay, then a wax would be enough? Skipping the polishing post-clay?
    Wash, clay, wash again then a wax should be fine if your paintwork isn't too badly damaged or dull which I imagine it's not. I generally polish ever 2months just to make the paint fresh again. Buts entirely up to you how you do thing. Maybe you'll get some tip from the detailing thread as I'm no expert.
    0B1001001 likes this.

2nd Gear

Status

6hrs of Hard Graft!

Quote Originally Posted by mjcourtney View Post
    Very similar to my routine, hard work but the results speak for themselves
    Squiretrolley & mjcourtney. Similar to my routine also, though I just go from post clay wash to wax. I used some old clay on the chrome exhaust instead of wire wool to help get the soot off. Did mine 10 days ago.

Squire - pics look great.

John.
    Last edited by JohnnyM100; 29th April 2014 at 18:42.
    mjcourtney likes this.
    Enjoying my 8V

1st Gear

Status
    Wash, clay, wash again then a wax should be fine if your paintwork isn't too badly damaged or dull which I imagine it's not. I generally polish ever 2months just to make the paint fresh again. Buts entirely up to you how you do thing. Maybe you'll get some tip from the detailing thread as I'm no expert.
    I'll give it a go!

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisJay View Post
    Great job Fella!

Is this one of these all in one products? Have you had any experience of it before?
    Yes it's an AIO product, gets great reviews. Plan to use it next time to save a bit of time. SRP and Collinite 476 would be my preference if time wasn't an issue.

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisJay View Post
    Great job Fella!

Yes it's an AIO product, gets great reviews. Plan to use it next time to save a bit of time. SRP and Collinite 476 would be my preference if time wasn't an issue.

2nd Gear

Status
    Can I offer an opinion?

Just my 2p

Thanks Veeeight. I had a few light scratches and swirls, so in this case the SRP seemed like the right choice.

mjc
    Neutral

Status
    Can I ask if you used 303 on the front grille and if so how did you apply it (spray/foam applicator/microfibre cloth)?

Wanting to give my A3 grille a freshen up but unsure of the best (and least time consuming!) way to go about it.
    ​Audi A3 Sport 2.0 litre TDI 150 PS | Ice Silver Metallic | Comfort Pack, DAB Radio, SD Sat Nav, 5-Arm 17 Inch Kinetic Alloy Wheels, Black Headlining, Standard Suspension |

1st Gear

Status
    Wish I could wash my own car. Looks immense!
    On Order - Audi S3 SB S-tronic, Estoril Blue, Black Alcantara Leather, Aluminium Roof Rails, Advance Key, ACC, LED Lights, Comfort Pack, Interior Light Pack, Non-Smoking Pack, Parking System Plus, Reverse Camera, B+O Sound System, Electric Folding Mirrors, Privacy Glass, Electric Lumbar + Adjustable Seats, High Beam Assist, Hill Hold, Load Through, Tyre Pressure Monitor, Tech Pack High with Audi Connect!!!

Provisional Build Week 4!

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by mjc View Post
    Can I ask if you used 303 on the front grille and if so how did you apply it (spray/foam applicator/microfibre cloth)?

Wanting to give my A3 grille a freshen up but unsure of the best (and least time consuming!) way to go about it.
    No didn't use 303 as the grille on the s-line it is a gloss finish. Not sure what finish it is on the sport, but if it's a matt plastic then 303 would be perfect. I spray it onto a MF cloth and apply it that way.

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by bleedsoff View Post
    Wish I could wash my own car. Looks immense!
    Thanks! I suffer with a bad back, which I'm probably going to go under the knife to fix but I don't let it stop me from washing/detailing my car. However, I do have to dose up on diazepam and tramadol afterwards!

mjc
    Neutral

Status
    No didn't use 303 as the grille on the s-line it is a gloss finish. Not sure what finish it is on the sport, but if it's a matt plastic then 303 would be perfect. I spray it onto a MF cloth and apply it that way.
    Thanks for that squiretolley, the Sport does have a matt plastic grille, I may add 303 to my detailing wish list!

Third Gear

Status
    Looks fab, you've inspired me to do mine very soon.

Mark
    07 S3 Sprint Blue Now Sold
    12 Range Rover Evoque Dynamic Now sold
    A3 20 TDI S-Line Sportback in Daytona Grey with Aluminium Roof Rails, Fine Nappa Leather, Sat Nav, Comfort pack,Audi Sound System, Folding Mirrors, Heated Seats, Privacy Glass, Interior Light Pack, Non Smoke Pack.

1st Gear

Status
    I have to say, I have never washed a car the way you have, but it looks spectacular. Jeez.
    On order: MY2015 S3 S-Tronic 3 door, Sepang Blue, debadge & body colour mirrors. Many options.

Neutral

Status
    Great result. Did u find some shade when waxing?
    Polish is slightly abrasive and so removes a thin layer of clear coat each time it's used, don't you worry about that if you use it every couple of months?

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Rexus View Post
    Great result. Did u find some shade when waxing?
    Polish is slightly abrasive and so removes a thin layer of clear coat each time it's used, don't you worry about that if you use it every couple of months?
    I like to use a jewelling polish so it does only take a tiny layer but does remove any holograms or light swirl marks. I don't worry about it too much. German paint is hard and thick so it should be fine IMO. But as I said I'm no expert.

5th Gear

Status
    Audi lacquer is very hard, you'd have to be a manic polisher to remove enough lacquer to worry!
    Woody86 likes this.

Neutral

Status
    Audi lacquer is very hard, you'd have to be a manic polisher to remove enough lacquer to worry!
    That's settles it then. Polish away