Monster MotorsportEM Tuning
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Sepang Blue - seriously go see it ..

Neutral

Status

Sepang Blue - seriously go see it ..

I've an order in for a phantom black S3 Sportback, I've never been 100% sure on the colour. I do like black cars, and with silver roof rails and the S3 chrome, felt it would look great. I was torn between black and monsoon grey, but thought that Monsoon looked a bit browny in some lights and didn't stand out as much as black.

After a very helpful thread (and my Audi sales guy) last week informing me that Phantom black has been discontinued, I visited Audi today to see what Mythos Black, Daytona Grey and Sepang Blue looked like in the flesh. Not a bad day to look either as I could see what they looked like (on various cars, not S3's though) in the showroom under bright lights, and outside on a dull drizzly day.

Its very difficult to get an actual idea of a colour online, but I had been looking last week at S3 saloons (Sepang) and RS6's in Daytona. Before visiting the dealer, I'd have said I was 90% Daytona. I wanted my S3 to be subtle, and felt the dark grey would work, but with the chrome accents, 4 tail pipes and red callipers (that I can now add) there's enough subtle clues to those who know that it's an S3.

Outside there were 2 Q5's right next to each other, one monsoon, one Daytona. The Daytona is darker, looks classier, less of a brown hue. No sign of the Sepang RS4 I know is at the dealer, there is a sprint blue S3 8P and I'm not convinced. So far so good on my initial thoughts. Inside there's an S3 saloon in Monsoon, just in front of an A6 in Daytona (black pack). Again I really like Daytona. I've spec'd silver interior (mono.pur too) and I'm all set. Daytona for sure.

May as well make 100% sure though, the Sepang RS4 is one of the sales managers cars, and being helpful he says he'll bring it round front for me to see. I almost say not to bother, I'm sure I want Daytona. However he just says wait and see. So 5 mins later and I'm walking out the side door into the light rain, and there it is, flipping heck, no photo online accurately describes the colour. It's deep, rich, almost fluid, like a petrol sheen on it. Where I'm standing, it's bright and popping out at the front, and dark and rich at the back.

Sold! Couldn't say no, it's awesome. I would seriously urge you folks with S3's on order, and can change colours (I guess you'd need to know your build week) to go look at Sepang. Wow, just wow.
    warren_S5, MartayMcFly and s31jay like this.

2. # ADS
    ADS

5th Gear

Status
    Sounds sure like you like it haha, I'd be tempted have it on a future Audi but think I fancy a change as got a sprint blue S3 ATM so went with exclusive paint option. How would you compare the 2 colours? Sepang looks darker from pics I seen.

5th Gear

Status
    I seriously cant understand how you can have different shades of black lmao. wtf is that. but sepang blue is ace
    Current - 2006 B7 A4 S Line Saloon 2.0T TFSI Special Edition, Unicorn stage 1 remap, Metallic Dolphin Grey, 18" TTRS Rotors, Ferrari Red Calipers, 3.5" Powerflow tailpipes, BOSE, Cupra splitter, Chrome grille slats, S4 Mirror covers, Black/silver leather interior, S Badge, LED np lights, Dectane LED Red/Crystal tail lights, HID 6k, RS 4 pedals, Rev D D/V, APR snub mount, NGK 7s. Next Oval tailpipes/alloy Respray/discs/pads

Gone - 2005 B7 A4 Avant 2.0 TDI

Neutral

Status
    The (dirty mind you) sprint blue S3 was parked right next to the Sepang RS4. I'd say the Sprint Blue looks more solid and matt, much less of a colour change in the light, so looks the same front to back even with the lighting different.

Sepang looks more fluid, really pops out at you, sort of a subtle purpley blue going on, from where I was standing, at the front of the car, the back looked a few shades darker, much more a change in colour as the light hits it. Hard to describe but as I said it has a sort of oily sheen to it.

I don't even think the S3 saloon pics I've seen quite do it justice. It's one colour you really need to see in a car in the flesh. Maybe a bit like Panther, you need to see it for yourself to see the purple fleck through it. Mythos black just looked black to me, mind you so do Phantom, I really struggled to see the crystal effect.

4th Gear

Status
    Not necessarily in terms of preference but in terms of level of blue, dark to light, it would go, imo, Estroil blue, racing blue mica, sepang blue and then sprint blue. Not sure where I'd put cornflower, riveria blue in the spectrum as I've never seen those in the flesh. They are all in their own right amazing blues with differing qualities and versatility in varying light. Estoril blue crystal effect against timeless classy ali accents did it for me this time!

Neutral

Status
    Can I ask if they have made you go with the exclusive paint for it or the new 2015 option.

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFiftheElement View Post
    The (dirty mind you) sprint blue S3 was parked right next to the Sepang RS4. I'd say the Sprint Blue looks more solid and matt, much less of a colour change in the light, so looks the same front to back even with the lighting different.

Sepang looks more fluid, really pops out at you, sort of a subtle purpley blue going on, from where I was standing, at the front of the car, the back looked a few shades darker, much more a change in colour as the light hits it. Hard to describe but as I said it has a sort of oily sheen to it.

I don't even think the S3 saloon pics I've seen quite do it justice. It's one colour you really need to see in a car in the flesh. Maybe a bit like Panther, you need to see it for yourself to see the purple fleck through it. Mythos black just looked black to me, mind you so do Phantom, I really struggled to see the crystal effect.
    Dirty mind aye, I've been called worse haha.

Sprint is meant to be a pearlescent, I think mine pops in the light 😃

I will be going to check out Sepang though as a lot of people do rave about it, yet again the exclusive paint I've picked is EPIC !

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1398619878.211574.jpg
    Woody86 likes this.

Neutral

Status
    Woody86, no I am not having to go exclusive. As phantom is discontinued I was allowed to choose another colour, so had the option (now) of the new Mythos, Daytona and Sepang for £525? The sales guy did say they are having a battle with Audi just now over a customer who had paid exclusive price for Sepang, and are not reducing the price now Sepang is a 'standard' option.

Darkcooleo, I like sprint and that pic looks more sparkly than I saw today. Maybe it needs some sun (and be clean) and for me to look at it in the correct light for it to show its finish. I'd defo say Sepang had that oily and translucent finish rather than a crystal sparkle though it ..

Neutral

Status
    I think if I play my cards right I could end up changing from glacier white to sepang blue at no extra cost then as it's a similar situation. I went glacier as couldn't justify 2k for paint but now it's a standard option. Hopefully I will be getting phone call from the business manager from my dealer tomorrow to thrash it out
    TheFiftheElement likes this.

5th Gear

Status
    Woody86, no I am not having to go exclusive. As phantom is discontinued I was allowed to choose another colour, so had the option (now) of the new Mythos, Daytona and Sepang for £525? The sales guy did say they are having a battle with Audi just now over a customer who had paid exclusive price for Sepang, and are not reducing the price now Sepang is a 'standard' option.

Darkcooleo, I like sprint and that pic looks more sparkly than I saw today. Maybe it needs some sun (and be clean) and for me to look at it in the correct light for it to show its finish. I'd defo say Sepang had that oily and translucent finish rather than a crystal sparkle though it ..
    That guy should defo pay £525 and not £2000 as it's spec changed now.

1st Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Follow oufc1976 On Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by darkcooleo:2153944

That guy should defo pay £525 and not £2000 as it's spec changed now.
    And if they refuse to budge, cancel the order and go to a new dealer and order it again!
    8V A3 Saloon 2.0 TDi S-Line. Daytona Grey. SD Sat Nav. Privacy Glass.

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Av4nt View Post
    I seriously cant understand how you can have different shades of black lmao.
    My father used to own a wallpaper and paint shop. He once told me that there were more than 30 shades of white available.....
    '14 plate 2 litre 184 quattro stronic s-line with DTUK box fitted. Extras: comfort pack, progressive steering, adaptive cruise, leather/alcantara seats + lumbar support, Audi sound system, interior lighting, SD card satnav, auto release (aka hill hold), TPM. Daytona Grey.

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by oufc1976 View Post
    And if they refuse to budge, cancel the order and go to a new dealer and order it again!
    Agreed

Neutral

Status
    I've already planted the seed. Told the salesman I'm thinking of cancelling and reordering. Having to deal with other salesmen because the one who done my deal in in hospital with appendicitis

1st Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Follow oufc1976 On Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by Woody86:2153972
    I've already planted the seed. Told the salesman I'm thinking of cancelling and reordering. Having to deal with other salesmen because the one who done my deal in in hospital with appendicitis
    I'm sure they'll cave...eventually!
    8V A3 Saloon 2.0 TDi S-Line. Daytona Grey. SD Sat Nav. Privacy Glass.

Neutral

Status
    I'm sure they'll cave...eventually!
    I hope so. Might tell them I'll go for the golf R or some kind of m series if then don't

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Woody86 View Post
    I hope so. Might tell them I'll go for the golf R or some kind of m series if then don't
    But that would be an obvious lie as they are so inferior 😜 #canofworms

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by darkcooleo View Post
    But that would be an obvious lie as they are so inferior #canofworms
    I know this as does many people on here but the salesman will just see money walking away hopefully. It will be my finest acting
    The Challinor likes this.

Neutral

Status
    Just to clarify, I was told that it isn't the dealer, or the sales dept. that are refusing to drop the price of the car, it's Audi themselves ..

I guess the dealership could take the hit themselves?

I also guess the customer could cancel his existing order, and place a new one, he might have to wait longer for his car though.

The question would then be, assuming the dealership (normal practise?) would then be forced by Audi to take delivery of the cancelled Sepang Blue car (build locked etc) then how would they price it? It WAS and exclusive colour, but isn't now .. I think they'd be forced to take the hit ..

Woody86, assuming your build hasn't been locked down, I don't see any reason at all why you couldn't change from Glacier to Sepang, I think the issue will be with customers who have paid exclusive prices for Sepang, and now it's not exclusive ..

I guess the same happens most years, and you're either lucky or unlucky dependant on timing, I'll bet in future years, red callipers will be standard, there will be other 'packs' that save you money over spec'ing Tech+Comfort individually etc. etc. It's a bit like getting an iPhone 4S, to find out the 5 is out next week and they've 1/2 the price for the 4S ..

1st Gear

Status
    Had my TTRS in Sepang. Nice colour I agree, but doesn't suit every car and shows swirl marks and scratches very easily - too easily IMO. A bit bling too - I quickly fell out of love with it on my TT, nice as it was I kept seeing other RS's and wish I'd gone a different way. If you're paying £2500 to have that colour I would even go there, if it's a £500 option, yeah, I could see why someone would go for that. Personally, for me there's only two colours that properly suit the new S3 stand out and that's Glacier White and Misano Red. If solar orange was on the options list, I could be persuaded... dark colours like black, grey or estoril blue I think make the car look boring, dull even. But some people like that, which I don't get when you're spending nearly 40k on a performance car, but there you go, we're all different aren't we
    S3 Misano Red | s tronic | super sport seats | black styling pack|10 spoke matt titanium alloys | privacy glass|technology pack high with mobile | audi sound system | through load | light & rain sensor pack | rear parking sensors | electric folding mirrors | tyre pressure monitoring | non smoking pack | registered 06/06/2014

Neutral

Status
    I can understand that SilureMark, my first thoughts were to go with Daytona Grey which you can spec on any A1/A3 etc. It's a lovely dark grey and would definitely make the S3 less noticeable to the average driver .. I'm not sure I'd agree Glacier stands out though, about 90% of Audi's up here are white, it's the one colour I didn't want ..

I wouldn't have paid £2,500 for Sepang, given the choice of the whole exclusive range I might have been tempted with Imola Yellow (along with the black pack)

It's been a while since I had a blue car (mostly reds/white/black) so it's time for a change.

I think my problem is on a day like today, where it's sunny and I'm in a good mood with some new tunes on my iPhone, I'd be happy to have a car with a bit more bling. If I had Daytona I'd be wishing I'd spec'd Sepang.

Last week however, when it's dull and dreich, and I just want to potter around, Daytona would be preferable ..

What Audi actually needs to do, is invent a paint/material that changes colour, controlled by the MMI, so you can have a different colour of car dependant on what you fancy on the day. Maybe restrict the colour choices based on options, so if you don't pay anything you can have black/white/red, you pay £500 you get Daytona/Sepang/Glacier/Misano and you go the full £2,500 you get the whole colour palette
    SilureMark likes this.

2nd Gear

Status

Sepang Blue - seriously go see it ..

I think my problem is on a day like today, where it's sunny and I'm in a good mood with some new tunes on my iPhone, I'd be happy to have a car with a bit more bling. If I had Daytona I'd be wishing I'd spec'd Sepang.

Last week however, when it's dull and dreich, and I just want to potter around, Daytona would be preferable ..

What Audi actually needs to do, is invent a paint/material that changes colour, controlled by the MMI, so you can have a different colour of car dependant on what you fancy on the day.
    Or manufacture the pearlescent spheres from material that becomes darker in sunlight, like transitions lenses in glasses. (c)

Would look truly epic but two disadvantages.
    1. Probably impossible to respray without doing the whole car
    2. Don't park under a tree where the sunlight comes through the leaves as it will look like a botched paint job for the first minute driving away.
    Enjoying my 8V

Reverse Gear

Status

ARGGGGGGGGGGGGG

Well guys. I've recentley ordered my fourth A4 but this time an S4 Black Edition Saloon. As for the colour, well I've had three black so wanted a differenr colour. I've changed my mind so manty times it's up and down like a brides nighty. Was curious of Utopia Blue but can't obtain a good sample so have opted for Sepang.

4th Gear

Status
    Well I don't think any one should either go see Sepang Blue or order it. It's an awful colour and doesn't suit the S3 one bit. Stick with grey or black or something else. Misano is quite nice.

Mine's Sepang and there'll be too many about.........................seriously it is a nice colour but I can see it being a bit common.
    Steeve

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by steeve View Post
    Well I don't think any one should either go see Sepang Blue or order it. It's an awful colour and doesn't suit the S3 one bit. Stick with grey or black or something else. Misano is quite nice.

Mine's Sepang and there'll be too many about.........................seriously it is a nice colour but I can see it being a bit common.
    Lucky for us here down under in Australia, they only expect to sell 400 S3, so they aren't common, so not likely to bump into "too" many S3 in Sepang Blue.

Did see an RSQ3 in Sepang Blue, it looked beautiful, quite dark in low light, shiney bright blue in direct sun light.
    On order S3 Sedan - S-Tronic, Sepang Blue, Performance Pack, Driver Assist Pack, Folding mirrors, Privacy glass and Tinted windows.

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by steeve View Post

Or order a 8V S3 in exclusive sprint blue , I've seen a 8V A3 in it and suits the newer A3 very well.

4th Gear

Status
    So sepang is the new estoril, well sort of, it's a beautiful colour, but it ain't exclusive like estoril is now. (legs it)

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Louay View Post
    So sepang is the new estoril, well sort of, it's a beautiful colour, but it ain't exclusive like estoril is now. (legs it)
    But Sepang was exclusive before and Sprint has always remained exclusive on the 8V haha
    Louay likes this.

1st Gear

Status
    I'd go sepang over estoril every time. Sepang is an awesome colour, but be careful how you clean it! Like I have said, shows scratches and swirl marks very easily. When I used to clean my TTRS it was a military operation. LOL!
    S3 Misano Red | s tronic | super sport seats | black styling pack|10 spoke matt titanium alloys | privacy glass|technology pack high with mobile | audi sound system | through load | light & rain sensor pack | rear parking sensors | electric folding mirrors | tyre pressure monitoring | non smoking pack | registered 06/06/2014

1st Gear

Status
    Change your order to Daytona. Get the refund for non exclusive. Then switch from Daytona to Sepang.

I ordered in Panther black, then switched to Sepang, a cheaper colour. No problem.
    On order: MY2015 S3 S-Tronic 3 door, Sepang Blue, debadge & body colour mirrors. Many options.

4th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by The Challinor View Post
    But Sepang was exclusive before and Sprint has always remained exclusive on the 8V haha
    If ordering a SB again in light of the current available swatch and with price in mind. I'd go brilliant black or panther (ali rails ali grill), sepang (black rails black grill and if had to choose an exclusive it'd have to be racing blue (black rails black grill). I'm more than happy with Portuguese blue though. the crystal colour is loving the sun at the moment. will try and put some pics up later....
    Snake Pliskin and Kinnybaz like this.

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Louay View Post
    If ordering a SB again in light of the current available swatch and with price in mind. I'd go brilliant black or panther (ali rails ali grill), sepang (black rails black grill and if had to choose an exclusive it'd have to be racing blue (black rails black grill). I'm more than happy with Portuguese blue though. the crystal colour is loving the sun at the moment. will try and put some pics up later....
    Racing blue mica? Negaro blue is also nice, this is turning into a 50 shades of blue thread lol
    JohnnyM100 likes this.

4th Gear

Status
    Yeah. My 8p was racing blue mica. Posted some pics of it July time last year. Was a fantastic colour but under direct sunlight compared to my 8v I found the blue a bit shallow. I like depth with blue closer to black for that wow reflection which can be achieved with lighter blues but not to the same extent as darker blues.
    Snake Pliskin likes this.

5th Gear

Status

Louay and PhilA4 like this.

S3 8V 3DR DSG ACC ABS ADS AMI ASR ASS DAB DBW DIS DRL EBA EBD EDL EGR EPB EPS ESP GPS LED MFSW MMI PDC PSF RAC SDXC TFSI CO2 EEC OTR WTF OMG

5th Gear

Status
    I think this pic deserves to be in this thread.

I've been through a few dilemmas over colour choice and been around the block and back again !

Prior to placing the order I was torn between Monsoon or going exclusive and opting for either Riviera Blue, Sepang or Nogaro.

Riviera - I thought I wouldn't be able to live with it day to day.
    Sepang - lovely colour but with it being on the RS models I thought if I'm paying £2k for exclusive then it needed to be a bit different.
    Nogaro - I was seriously tempted and almost specced it.

I then Saw this photo online on a monsoon S3 and it swayed me to not pay the £2k and select monsoon.

I therefore ordered Monsoon - that was back in December - expecting a June/ July delivery

I then (in February) saw the pics of nogaro blue on the limited edition RS4 pics and was sold - I contacted the dealer and changed the order to nogaro blue - paying the for the privilege ! - and waiting and waiting and waiting as Audi confirmed that with me selecting exclusive the wait would be longer - and an August delivery date BW 28 was given - I therefore said I'd wait until Sept for a 64 reg delivery.

Then Audi announced that Sepang would become on the "standard" list for MY15 cars.

I then weighed up paying £2k for nogaro versus paying £600ish for Sepang and being honest I probably would have changed but then day I emailed them my build got locked the day before.

So Nogaro it is.

Coming to Audi-sport 1st Septemenr with a bit if luck :D

Me indecisive - don't know what you mean
    RYuill likes this.
    Paul R

S3 Sportback - Sprint, Buckets, Bose, Rain & light, Alu rails, Piano trim, FT Warning, Bluetooth prep
    S3's now sold - roll on the Golf MK1 Project

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by RAPS3 View Post

I've been through a few dilemmas over colour choice and been around the block and back again !

Prior to placing the order I was torn between Monsoon or going exclusive and opting for either Riviera Blue, Sepang or Nogaro.

Riviera - I thought I wouldn't be able to live with it day to day.
    Sepang - lovely colour but with it being on the RS models I thought if I'm paying £2k for exclusive then it needed to be a bit different.
    Nogaro - I was seriously tempted and almost specced it.

I then Saw this photo online on a monsoon S3 and it swayed me to not pay the £2k and select monsoon.

I therefore ordered Monsoon - that was back in December - expecting a June/ July delivery

I then (in February) saw the pics of nogaro blue on the limited edition RS4 pics and was sold - I contacted the dealer and changed the order to nogaro blue - paying the for the privilege ! - and waiting and waiting and waiting as Audi confirmed that with me selecting exclusive the wait would be longer - and an August delivery date BW 28 was given - I therefore said I'd wait until Sept for a 64 reg delivery.

Then Audi announced that Sepang would become on the "standard" list for MY15 cars.

I then weighed up paying £2k for nogaro versus paying £600ish for Sepang and being honest I probably would have changed but then day I emailed them my build got locked the day before.

So Nogaro it is.

Coming to Audi-sport 1st Septemenr with a bit if luck :D

Me indecisive - don't know what you mean
    Monsoon grey is really nice, not seen a S3 in Nogaro blue so should be pretty rare - look forward to seeing that.

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by RAPS3 View Post

:

I've seen a similar pic before comparing the blues on various models. In my opinion different colours suit different models, variants due to design cues and even things like the chrome grill/mirrors.

As for the S3, I really didn't like Estoril Blue on the S3 (it still looked nice but definitely wouldn't spec it) but then think it looks beautiful and suits the RS7 to a tee!

Those photos are also the same pics which swayed me towards the Monsoon Grey! I think it has a perfect blend of aggression and class!
    On order: Monsoon Grey 8V S3 Sportback - S-Tronic - Performance Pack - Sunroof - Assistance Pack - Mirror Pack

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by dstama View Post
    I've seen a similar pic before comparing the blues on various models. In my opinion different colours suit different models, variants due to design cues and even things like the chrome grill/mirrors.

As for the S3, I really didn't like Estoril Blue on the S3 (it still looked nice but definitely wouldn't spec it) but then think it looks beautiful and suits the RS7 to a tee!

Those photos are also the same pics which swayed me towards the Monsoon Grey! I think it has a perfect blend of aggression and class!
    We fell in love with all the pictures online from the Shanghai and New York motorshow where they show cased the S3 Sedan in Sepang Blue.

When we were about to place the order, Sepang was an Audi Exclusive which would meant an extra $4000 on the price tag (in Aust), and we saw those same Moonson photos too, and that would have been the colour we went with too, but then the week after, rumours was that Sepang Blue will be replacing Estoril Blue, so that was that, Sepang Blue was it.

image.jpg

image.jpg
    Last edited by Longy; 22nd June 2014 at 02:11.
    On order S3 Sedan - S-Tronic, Sepang Blue, Performance Pack, Driver Assist Pack, Folding mirrors, Privacy glass and Tinted windows.

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Longy View Post
    We fell in love with all the pictures online from the Shanghai and New York motorshow where they show cased the S3 Sedan in Sepang Blue.

When we were about to place the order, Sepang was an Audi Exclusive which would meant an extra $4000 on the price tag (in Aust), and we saw those same Moonson photos too, and that would have been the colour we went with too, but then the week after, rumours was that Sepang Blue will be replacing Estoril Blue, so that was that, Sepang Blue was it.

image.jpg

image.jpg
    They could almost be 2 different colours with the difference of lightning there

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by The Challinor View Post
    They could almost be 2 different colours with the difference of lightning there
    Most definitely, it's quite dark in low light and a very bright shiney blue in sun light.

Here are some of the best photos of the S3 sedan:

PhotoGraphic: Sepang Blue Audi S3 Sedan by Zach Hansen at the Audi Exchange - Fourtitude.com
    RAPS3 likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast