Rear carpet mats

Schizophonic

Reaction score
Bit of a trivia thread but does anyone else have a similar issue? My rear cars have started to fold or curl up on the top corners. I do have passengers in the back every so often and their feet are kicking the mat around but to the point they curl up. I think its when I move my car and it watches on the mat.

Also looking on the bay there are some genuine mats for sale but strangely the back has the holes to plug in to stop them from moving. My Sportback Sport doesn't have those holes in the back and only just the front.

Yea I was a bit annoyed by this. The 8p had clips in the rear as well as the front. I'm going to see if I can fit myself over the summer. I found the part numbers on parts base.

My rear mats have clips?

So do mine, however I have replaced them with genuine Audi rubber mats that don't and you can feel the fastener protruding through the rubber which is a bit weird...

My S-line also has the clips.

Why do some have them and some don't

Is it only the 3 door that has clips.? I have sline sportback and I don't have them

Maybe its a model year thing? Or after a certain build week? Mine is week 7 2013

Last edited:
My sportback s3 doesn't have clips in rear!

My S-line rear mats don't have clips, and mine are also starting to raise up on the edges.

No clips on my S-line either, I just make my rear passengers remove there shoes before getting in and sit with there feet off the floor!!!

Reactions: Foshiznik and Joetidman
As previously advised it must be a year thing - strange though as my previous 2011 SB also had clips front and back so I thought it was the norm

Yeah mine has them. S Line Sportback. Build week 13 2014. My A3 Sport Sportback built in 2013 didn't have them...

My car was a MY14 as it was built in November, so can't be a change between MY14 and MY15.. Bizarre really!

But surely mine would have the clips if that was the case. Surely they wouldn't remove the clips in a MY14 if they were on the MY13

Mine doesn't have clips (MY2014). I've not had a problem with the edges raising up though.

But surely mine would have the clips if that was the case. Surely they wouldn't remove the clips in a MY14 if they were on the MY13

For what it is worth here is my view of what’s going on here......

I think we have unearthed a minor spec change potentially associated with a cost saving

A move from clipped to non clipped rear mats is a reduction in cost, less parts, less assembly etc. As it is relatively minor it was not notified as a change from MY13 to MY 14.

Obviously Audi/VAG would not want to throw away old stock of clips/mats, or default on a supply contract so they continued using them beyond start of MY14. Consequently some folk with s-line trim, built in early MY14 still had clips on the rear mats.

Mine was a July build MY14 and does not have the rear mat clips.

Still doesn't quite make sense as mine is a MY13 and I don't have them. In fact it was one of the very first sportbacks in the UK (March 2013) and it didn't have them. So between then and now we've had some sportbacks (S-lines) delivered with clips, and some without.

For what it is worth here is my view of what’s going on here......

I think we have unearthed a minor spec change potentially associated with a cost saving

A move from clipped to non clipped rear mats is a reduction in cost, less parts, less assembly etc. As it is relatively minor it was not notified as a change from MY13 to MY 14.

Obviously Audi/VAG would not want to throw away old stock of clips/mats, or default on a supply contract so they continued using them beyond start of MY14. Consequently some folk with s-line trim, built in early MY14 still had clips on the rear mats.

Mine was a July build MY14 and does not have the rear mat clips.

Doesn't make sense though as the post above yours says he has clips from a build that is 7 or 8 months later! Mine was a MY14 August build.

Mine was built 7 weeks ago and has them.

Still doesn't quite make sense as mine is a MY13 and I don't have them. In fact it was one of the very first sportbacks in the UK (March 2013) and it didn't have them. So between then and now we've had some sportbacks (S-lines) delivered with clips, and some without.

Or it is dual source supply to different specifications...........I'll get my coat

Reactions: mjcourtney
Are the mats always specced and delivered by the factory? In some cars they are dealer fitted post manufacture, which might account for the variation?

This is crying out for a spreadsheet hosted on Google Docs or something.
Forum name, Car (3D,SB,SL), Build Wk.Yr, Clips or no clips.
Anyone?

3dr, S3, BW11-2014, Clips

Reactions: Foshiznik and andywil13
Sounds like audi have just picked and chosen when to put them in OR is there an extra you have to choose to get them? Hmm...