AH FabricationsVolks Autos
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By oufc1976

Thread: Switch the radio/media off

Switch the radio/media off

My turn to ask a question....

If I have the radio on or music playing from the SD card and I want to switch it off, I would assume from the manual and symbols next to the switch I make a long press on the round OFF button. So far very simple and straight-forward.

But if I then decide to change a car setting using the MMI and press MENU, up pops the screen and the radio or media that I last used starts playing. I know I can quick press the OFF button to mute it or turn the volume down but is their a way to actually turn the radio/media OFF completely so that when the screen pops up nothing is playing at all.
    Dave R (h5djr)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A3 8V 2.0 TDI-184 Sportback Sport s-tronic quattro - Silver + lots of options - my 9th A3

2. # ADS
    ADS

5th Gear

Status
    I think if you turn the volume right down to 0 (as opposed to pressing it once to mute) then it remembers this when it pops the screen back up. Can't be certain but might be worth a shot
    2013 8V Glacier White A3 Sportback 1.4 TFSI S-line Mnaual
    SE Suspension, Tech Pack, B&O, Comfort Pack, Electric folding mirrors, Park Assist, TPMS, Interior Light Pack

Neutral

Status
    mjcourney's suggestion above is certainly something that could work.

Was also thinking that if maybe if you switch music source to one where you have no media connected (i.e. bluetooth audio or USB etc) then there will not be any sound coming through at all.

Do you have the rear-view camera and parking system plus? If so, when you put the car in reverse or press the parking sensor button on the dash, the screen will pop up again.
    Collected: Audi A3 8V Sportback 1.8 TFSI S-Tronic S-Line. Ice Silver, Alu Roof Rails, Audi Side Assist, B&O Audio, Comfort Pack (w/ACC, Parking System Plus & Park Assist), Sports Suspension, Elec Folding Mirrors, Ext Interior Mono-Pur, Fine Nappa Seats, Heated Front Seats, Hill Hold Assist, Interior Light Package, Non-Smoking Package, Pano Glass Sunroof, Privacy Glass, Reversing Camera, Technology Package, Load-Through System, Tyre Pressure Monitor. 4 Year Warranty

5th Gear

Status
    I tried this earlier:

Turning the volume to zero or pressing the volume knob briefly seem to have the same function - both actions bring up the "mute" symbol in the MMI.

If you do either action, then retract the screen - any subsequent calling up of the screen (eg: pressing the Menu button) will raise the screen, but the volume will remain on "mute".

S3 8V 3DR DSG ACC ABS ADS AMI ASR ASS DAB DBW DIS DRL EBA EBD EDL EGR EPB EPS ESP GPS LED MFSW MMI PDC PSF RAC SDXC TFSI CO2 EEC OTR WTF OMG

Quote Originally Posted by M_D_O_London View Post
    mjcourney's suggestion above is certainly something that could work.

Was also thinking that if maybe if you switch music source to one where you have no media connected (i.e. bluetooth audio or USB etc) then there will not be any sound coming through at all.

Do you have the rear-view camera and parking system plus? If so, when you put the car in reverse or press the parking sensor button on the dash, the screen will pop up again.
    Yes I do have a rear view camera and as you say the screen pops up when I engage reverse and with no radio/media. It does seen a little strange to me that the OFF button does not switch the device off like it used to in the 8P. Not a big problem, I'll just use the mute button.
    Dave R (h5djr)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A3 8V 2.0 TDI-184 Sportback Sport s-tronic quattro - Silver + lots of options - my 9th A3

1st Gear

Status
    While turning the volume to 0 will mute the source I doubt it will pause it, so next time you switch the volume up you'll be listening to a different track. There doesn't appear to be a way to silence the media and keep the track position if you want to use the MMI for other functions.
    Audi A3 Sportback Sport 1.8 TFSI S-Tronic, MY14, Scuba Blue, 15-spoke 17" alloys, Comfort Pack with ACC, Interior Lighting Pack, Audi Sound System.

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by constvoid View Post
    While turning the volume to 0 will mute the source I doubt it will pause it, so next time you switch the volume up you'll be listening to a different track. There doesn't appear to be a way to silence the media and keep the track position if you want to use the MMI for other functions.

In my experience, short press mutes and pauses and long press turns off the whole MMI (SatNav, Phone, Music). That's why changing a setting on the MMI effectively turns it back on again.

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by h5djr View Post
    It does seen a little strange to me that the OFF button does not switch the device off like it used to in the 8P. Not a big problem, I'll just use the mute button.
    I think it's because the MMI in the 8V is a fully integral part of the car which is not only acts as the entertainment system, but also the primary interface between the driver and vehicle to configure various car systems and settings.

I had a Mk6 VW Golf and had the RCD 510 touch-screen entertatinment system (non-nav). Whenever I'd turn off the system via the power button, it would turn off the music etc but the screen would turn back on as soon as I adjusted the climate control (as it had a visual display via the entertainment screen) or put in reverse at which point the rear-view camera and and parking sensors diagram would be displayed).

I can only guess that, in the 8P and Golf Mk5 on which the two vehicle share a lot of similarity, the Nav / entertainment system is treated as a very separate system, (where most of the vehicle systems were configurable via the screen between the dashboard dials).
    Collected: Audi A3 8V Sportback 1.8 TFSI S-Tronic S-Line. Ice Silver, Alu Roof Rails, Audi Side Assist, B&O Audio, Comfort Pack (w/ACC, Parking System Plus & Park Assist), Sports Suspension, Elec Folding Mirrors, Ext Interior Mono-Pur, Fine Nappa Seats, Heated Front Seats, Hill Hold Assist, Interior Light Package, Non-Smoking Package, Pano Glass Sunroof, Privacy Glass, Reversing Camera, Technology Package, Load-Through System, Tyre Pressure Monitor. 4 Year Warranty

1st Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Follow oufc1976 On Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by constvoid:2151894
    I does actually do that. When you turn the volume all the way down to 0, it pauses the track
    cemerson likes this.
    8V A3 Saloon 2.0 TDi S-Line. Daytona Grey. SD Sat Nav. Privacy Glass.

A3 Fan

Status
    You can mute and pause tracks by pressing the roller switch on the multifunction steering wheel too I think!
    Some people walk in the rain others just get wet

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by oufc1976 View Post
    I does actually do that. When you turn the volume all the way down to 0, it pauses the track
    Thanks - good to know (even if I was wrong).
    Audi A3 Sportback Sport 1.8 TFSI S-Tronic, MY14, Scuba Blue, 15-spoke 17" alloys, Comfort Pack with ACC, Interior Lighting Pack, Audi Sound System.