Speedo/rev counter dial illumination

dewayne51

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Does anyone else have this issue ? ive got an 8v without the auto lights. while driving in daylight the speedo dials are illuminated, though if i go into a tunnel they fade out to only show the red needles!?!?... just seems backward to me as that's the time i need lighting most!

obviously they stay on if i switch on the lights.. just wondered if there is anyway to disable them turning off in the dark when i have head/sidelights switched off?

Thanks

I think they are like that by design.

The logic goes as follows:

If you're driving around dusk, and the light starts to fade, there is a light sensor in the instrument pack that detects this, and it will also start to fade the instrument lighting, by way of alerting/reminding you that you need to switch the car external lights on.

Reactions: The Challinor
I think its deliberate to make you turn your lights on to see the dials. Their logic will be that if it's dark enough not to see them then its dark enough to need your lights on (regardless of whether that's a tunnel or night time)

Obviously the sensor is there to detect and dim the dials, makes you wonder why they didn't use the same sensor to just turn on the lights. Guess £££££££££££ selling the auto lights option.

Two sensors :)

The sensor in the instrument pack is the interior ambient sensor (facing into the cabin of the car), whereas the sensor for the auto lights faces outside the car.

I think they are like that by design.

The logic goes as follows:

If you're driving around dusk, and the light starts to fade, there is a light sensor in the instrument pack that detects this, and it will also start to fade the instrument lighting, by way of alerting/reminding you that you need to switch the car external lights on.

Spot on, and when going through a tunnel