Badger5JMB Retrofits
Like Tree7Likes
  • 2 Post By PembsA3
  • 1 Post By the_lecht_rocks
  • 1 Post By pluves1
  • 3 Post By VeeDubDan

Thread: To add roof rails or to not add roof rails ?????

Neutral

Status

To add roof rails or to not add roof rails ?????

Hi Guyz

I am really Internally battling myself with this...

Iv read through the forums and some are saying that it sets the car off and well some opted without it.
    I trust you guys to have the knowledge that I simply do not have to make this decision.

A3 SB Misano red 1.8tfsi......My build week is approaching so theres little time for me to tell them to exclude the rails.

From my point of view Im not against either way,but I just want to not regret afterwards.
    The roof rails to me make the car look abit taller and less slick??this is judging from pics i have seen on here.
    Oh iv also added pano sunroof so not sure if it goes well with that?

Please assist if possible .would mean alot.

Thanks in advance
    A3 SB 1.8 stronic Misano RED
    Sline exterior,17' 5-arm kinetic design magz,Alcantara/leather combination,Storage compartment and luggage compartment,High gloss pack,window with grey tint strip,xenon plus,light/rain sensor,fog lights,panoramic sunroof,flat tire indicator,deluxe auto aircon,lighting package,3-spoke multi function steering with paddle shifters,4-way lumbar support,sline suspension,Drive select,auto release function,cruise control,Color DIS,start stop system,B&O

2. # ADS
    ADS

1st Gear

Status
    My Mrs hates them. I love them. I think they make the SB look a bit like the larger Avant models Audi make - just a smaller version.
    Audi A3 Sportback S line 1.8 TFSI S tronic - Scuba Blue
    Technology package - High with Audi Connect/Interior lighting package/Driver assistance package/Light and rain sensor package/Adaptive Xenon Plus headlights with variable range control/Advanced key/Aluminum roof rails/Audi pre sense/Auto-dimming rear-view mirror/Bang & Olufsen/Door mirrors-dimming, electrically adjustable,folding and heated/Heated seats/Audi side assist/Audi active lane assist/Rear side airbags/Tyre pressure loss indicator

Neutral

Status
    Unless you are really going to get use out of them 75 % of the time i would say no too sublime for my tastes .

Extra wind drag , for no purpose .

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Lock & Load View Post
    Unless you are really going to get use out of them 75 % of the time i would say no too sublime for my tastes .

Extra wind drag , for no purpose .
    Thats the thing, im probably never going to use them.I was thinking it might add value to the car when selling it??? Oh and personally if im buying an a3 I doubt I want it looking like an avant :/ ....but it could look nice looking abit larger and meaner.This is so hard...majority of people here say it sets the car off oh and its coming standard on the 1.8 so I would be deselecting it I you guyz convince me too...
    Sline exterior,17' 5-arm kinetic design magz,Alcantara/leather combination,Storage compartment and luggage compartment,High gloss pack,window with grey tint strip,xenon plus,light/rain sensor,fog lights,panoramic sunroof,flat tire indicator,deluxe auto aircon,lighting package,3-spoke multi function steering with paddle shifters,4-way lumbar support,sline suspension,Drive select,auto release function,cruise control,Color DIS,start stop system,B&O

5th Gear

Status
    I always buy 3dr S3's but to be honest I think the rails really set off the sportback's well and I would keep them on.

1st Gear

Status
    Depends if you want your car to look like an estate or not. It is estate cars that have roof rails isn't it?!... Exactly why I opted NOT to have them!... [ducks...]
    Louay and Belfin like this.

Banned

Status

We have had pano roof and bars on several 8p and current 8v S3. We have them because we use them.! They do look good however particularly the Alu in contrast to dark colours. Black on black 8P black edition never looked quite so good all IMHO . As for looking like an estate car, not sure on that one!!

Neutral

Status
    Personally, I think it makes the Sportback look like an estate. I wouldn't have them.

But, like most things, it's down to opinion. If you'll make use of them then for practicality reasons you should probably get them.
    If it's purely for aesthetic reasons, then only you can answer it really.
    Try the "post pics of your A3 here" thread. Have a look at all the pictures and decide whether you like the roof rail ones or not.

Neutral

Status
    As others have said it is down to ones own opinion, for me I prefer the cleaner line without the rail and have not chosen it. Go with what you think looks the best and not whether you will get a better re-sale value.
    First Days: MGB GT
    Sporty Days: Lotus Elan S4SE
    Money Days: Audi TT 225
    Convertible Days: VW EOS 2.0 TFSI
    Nowadays: Audi A3 Sportback 1.4 TFSI Sport Stronic
    (not saying that I did not have the odd dodgy Ford now and again!)

Neutral

Status
    Personally I think it completes the look of the sportback, and the contrast with a dark colour (if you opt for them in aluminium) really sets the car off.

I'd ask yourself are you ever going to be in the position you 'might' need them? Kids planned or ski trip? 4 adult in the car and need luggage space? If you answer yes to any of those, then add the bars and I'm guessing a retro-fit is an expensive option.

I've had bars on most of my wagons, from an Impreza WRX, 8P S3 and even my JCW for bikes and holidays etc.

If it doesn't spoil the look for you, in my opinion, I'd have them on.

Banned

Status

I doubt resale value with or without will be much different . On the 8 p my dealer offered to retrofit for the same cost as option when new.

Looks wise as posted it is a personal thing and we only got them because we use them!

3rd Gear

Status
    They are the only reason we bought the S3 !
    Not another car on the market that can hit 60 sub 6 seconds, 4wd and has the correct dimensions to fit one side of our garage.
    RS4 is too long and too big for the 2 of us, the S3 really was the only option .... My wife loves it and its quick and comfy and surprisingly quiet with my bikes /skis on the roof. An excellent utilitarian machine.
    PilotAudi likes this.

Neutral

Status
    Depends on what else you have specced on the car if you are never going to use them i would say get something you will use for the money. You can always add roof bars without the rails for the odd occasion that you may need them. Personally I got them but I do use the bars a lot so was a no brainer for me and do like the look alu on black but do agree with the estate comments.

Neutral

Status
    From a purely practical point of view, roof rails aren't necessary as a roof rack can still be attached without rails.

I didn't bother and I don't regret it and have already carried 3 bikes on the roof without issue.

Banned

Status
    Roof rails are or at least seem to be far more secure than conventional roof rack fitments.

Neutral

Status
    I ordered them as I just thought they suited the shape of the A3 Sportback quite well. To my eyes, it does look more estate-ish than hatchback (especially with the window behind the rear passenger doors) so would look a bit incomplete without.

That said, and despite getting the rails more on aesthetic grounds, I probably envisage I will utilise them for carrying roof loads at some point.
    Collected: Audi A3 8V Sportback 1.8 TFSI S-Tronic S-Line. Ice Silver, Alu Roof Rails, Audi Side Assist, B&O Audio, Comfort Pack (w/ACC, Parking System Plus & Park Assist), Sports Suspension, Elec Folding Mirrors, Ext Interior Mono-Pur, Fine Nappa Seats, Heated Front Seats, Hill Hold Assist, Interior Light Package, Non-Smoking Package, Pano Glass Sunroof, Privacy Glass, Reversing Camera, Technology Package, Load-Through System, Tyre Pressure Monitor. 4 Year Warranty

Neutral

Status
    I suppose I could possibly use them at some point in the future.I really dont mind them its just that I dont want to regret not having asked you guys first.The rails are more angled so its not exactly that upright and dont look too bad.

Theres also the concern with the pano sunroof and how it goes with the rails.Iv seen pictures but certainly not enough.Im going over to the dealership today to see if they possibly have one with and without rails.

As long as it doesnt look too 'not hatchback' then I guess i could live with it

If you would like to see a video of an A3 Sportback S-Line with chrome rails fitted have a look at this on YouTube.

Audi A3 Sportback 2.0 TDI S-line MY 2013 - Presentation - YouTube
    Dave R (h5djr)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A3 8V 2.0 TDI-184 Sportback Sport s-tronic quattro - Silver + lots of options - my 9th A3

Reverse Gear

Status
    I like the clean lines without. Also more bits to keep clean!
    A3 8V S Line Sportback 1.4TFSI COD, DSG, Daytona, Comfort pack, Interior Light pack, Cruise, Rear Park Sensors, Sat Nav SD, Adaptive Xenon, Folding Dimming Exterior Mirrors, Mono.pur.

Previously :
    A3 8P Sportback Sport 1.4TFSI, DSG, Ibis White
    A4 2.0T FSI Quattro S LIne, B7, Dolphin Grey
    A4 1.8T Sport, B5.

Banned

Status
    Sorry Ade that's clutching at straws IMHO. The roof rails reduce the amount of paint visible and the small bit of Alu is easy to clean!! ;-O

Banned

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by deolanp View Post
    I suppose I could possibly use them at some point in the future.I really dont mind them its just that I dont want to regret not having asked you guys first.The rails are more angled so its not exactly that upright and dont look too bad.

Theres also the concern with the pano sunroof and how it goes with the rails.Iv seen pictures but certainly not enough.Im going over to the dealership today to see if they possibly have one with and without rails.

As long as it doesnt look too 'not hatchback' then I guess i could live with it
    Take a look at my Avatar and also bigger picture on the A3 Cabriolet thread. IMG_2151_zpsec5d0a4e.jpg Photo by AudiS3SB | Photobucket

Reverse Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by PilotAudi View Post
    Sorry Ade that's clutching at straws IMHO. The roof rails reduce the amount of paint visible and the small bit of Alu is easy to clean!! ;-O
    Ha Ha. Yes!!!
    I did consider them when speccing SB but prefer without.
    A3 8V S Line Sportback 1.4TFSI COD, DSG, Daytona, Comfort pack, Interior Light pack, Cruise, Rear Park Sensors, Sat Nav SD, Adaptive Xenon, Folding Dimming Exterior Mirrors, Mono.pur.

Previously :
    A3 8P Sportback Sport 1.4TFSI, DSG, Ibis White
    A4 2.0T FSI Quattro S LIne, B7, Dolphin Grey
    A4 1.8T Sport, B5.

2nd Gear

Status
    I would say if you plan or need roof rails add them. If not leave them off.
    I quite like them in the Aluminium on our Sprint Blue S3. Having said that we use them for bike racks and also a roof box so essential for me.
    PilotAudi likes this.
    Now

MY10 BMW 335d Touring (Sapphire Black)

MY10 S3 Sportback (Sprint Blue)

Previously
    06 BMW 330d M Sport Touring Le Mans Blue with Black leather, Phone Prep

Neutral

Status
    So I just was at the dealership and seems like my decision is made for me.Apparently in south africa you don't get roof rails on the a3 neither can you order it.So no roof railz it is im so happy I dont have to choose anymore

Is loving his new 8V S3!

Status
    A3 = Yes to rails

S3 = No to rails
    S3 8V Sportback Stronic, Estoril Blue Crystal Effect, Black Interior, Adaptive Cruise with Stop & Go & Pre Sense, Super Sports Seats with Electric Lumber, LED Headlights, Interior Lighting Pack, Hill Hold Assist, Privacy Glass, Comfort Package, Technology Package with Audi Connect, Advance Key, Folding Door Mirrors, Extended Mono.Pur Interior, Front and Rear Parking Sensors, Audi Sound System.

Build Thread Here!

1st Gear

Status
    I chose rails simply as I like the look of them. Not likely to use them.
    PilotAudi, CraigI and Daveotto like this.
    8V S3; Sportback, S-Tronic, Monsoon Grey, Aluminium Roof Rails, Privacy Glass, Supersport Seats, Comfort Pack, Technology Pack High, Bang & Olufsen, Folding, Dimming Mirrors, Interior Light Pack, Extended Mono.Pur, Parking System Plus, Reversing Camera, Rear Side Airbags, Reversible Boot Mat, Tyre Pressure Monitor, Hold Assist

A3 Fan

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Silky-S3 View Post
    A3 = Yes to rails

S3 = No to rails
    Spot on Silky
    Some people walk in the rain others just get wet

Neutral

Status
    I ordered them as I think they look great! But yes, it's just personal taste I guess. I test drove a SB in Shiraz red with aluminium rails and it looked good. My build week is 19 and should get it first week of June- will post some pics!!
    Ordered: A3 Sportback 2.0Tdi S-Line Scuba Blue SD Sat Nav, rear parking sensors, blue mats, aluminium roof bars, mono.pur, audi sound system, folding mirrors