EM TuningVolks Autos
Results 1 to 20 of 20
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Stevo985
  • 1 Post By JohnnyM100

Thread: F***** my Galaxy S5

  1. #1
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    51

    F***** my Galaxy S5

    Okay, i know....

    I have had an iPhone 3G, 4 and 5.... So I might be a little bit bias.

    However, when my job put up a android-only policy I thought "how bad can it be?"

    Ohh boy was I up for some nasty surprises!

    Got the new Samsung Galaxy S5

    - charger imploded after charging 10 min - needed a new charger
    - earphones are so extremely bad in quality, you would not believe it!
    - they hurt my ears, even with the smallest plastic molds on
    - feel of the +/- buttons is really bad
    - sound quality is really poor
    - you need to download apps for everything, even fx podcast, and chances are that you get a crappy app
    - finger scanner - ohh boy, don't get me started on that one.... Takes AT LEAST 5 swipes to lock up the phone.
    - the water protector of the USB plugs is just in the way all the time, when you want to connect a cable

    And now to the audi a3 part

    I have just bought the correct AMI >> micro USB cable

    - podcasts can not play over it, like it was easily possible with the iPhone
    - if you manually get the podcast playback to work, then it is not possible to change podcast from the car, like it was easily possible with the iPhone
    - phone still rings in the phonebox, although the car is also ringing - why?!


    All in all, really not impressed - and I dearly miss my iPhone just 4 days in the land of android.....
    Using Tapatalk

  2. # ADS
    ADS
    Join Date
    Always
    Location
    Global
    Posts
    Many
     
  3. #2
    STERLING VOID's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    102
    I have used an s3 and an s4 mini via bluetooth in my car and both works like a charm!

  4. #3
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    51
    Quote Originally Posted by STERLING VOID View Post
    I have used an s3 and an s4 mini via bluetooth in my car and both works like a charm!
    For "everything" ?

    Or just for calls?

    Which app do you use for podcasts?
    Using Tapatalk

  5. #4
    STERLING VOID's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    102
    Quote Originally Posted by cbotved View Post
    For "everything" ?

    Or just for calls?

    Which app do you use for podcasts?
    I don't use an app for podcasts but I do use the TuneIn radio app which is very clear throughout the sound system of the car. Its as if my car has internet radio. In fact any sound that can be played from the phone plays seamlessly through the car speakers when connected via Bluetooth.

  6. #5
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    83
    Quote Originally Posted by cbotved View Post
    For "everything" ?

    Or just for calls?

    Which app do you use for podcasts?
    It's only Crapple stuff you can use with that cable... AMI usb cable is just for usb memorysticks or harddrives. You can control your phone with that as you can do on a iphone. You should use bluetooth instead...I guess that is the only way.

  7. #6
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    81
    Sounds like most of your problems are Samsung problems, not Android problems. Havign had a Galaxy S3 for 2 years I wouldn't be in a rush to go back to Samsung. Nice looking phone, but Touchwiz (the "skin" they put over the vanilla android system) is pretty ****, and their hardware is quite unreliable from my experience

    My new Nexus 5 (Android) plays podcasts through bluetooth perfectly. And the handsfree phone works perfectly too.

    I do find it bizarre though, that car manufacturers continue to tailor their systems more to iOS when Android is a far FAR wider used system (and the proportion is heading even more in that direction).

  8. #7
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    3,225
    The thing with Android is that the software just doesn't matter. I have a Samsung but replaced Touchwiz with a custom launcher instead, and replaced most of the other Samsung apps too. They make good hardware and that's all that matters when choosing an Android phone - everything else can be changed.
    Sport 2.0 TDI 150 Sportback in Scuba Blue, alcantara/leather, advanced key, audi sound system, comfort pack w/ ACC and park assist, deselect sports suspension, auto-dimming & folding door mirrors, electric lumbar support, heated seats, hold assist, non-smoking pack, side & lane assist, reversing camera, storage & luggage pack, tech pack with audi connect, tyre pressure warning, towbar, variable headlight range control, xenon light pack

  9. #8
    warren_S5's Avatar
    Moderator

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    7,158
    Quote Originally Posted by cbotved View Post
    All in all, really not impressed - and I dearly miss my iPhone just 4 days in the land of android.....
    Interesting. My other half works at VF HQ and I've heard similar mixed reports of people being wowed over to Samsung and then finding it wasn't quite as good an experience as the Apple detractors had suggested.

    I was on the verge of changing as I've specced MMI high on my new car and Apple phones don't support the system with the BT standard so I'm having to get a SIM for the dash. It was a wobble moment, but after garnering some feedback I decided to go for the iP 5s which is 'fine'. These days reviews are so polarized about products that are emotive purchases I don't think you can go with anything other than your own personal judgement.
    Audi S5 3.0V6T Coupe Black Edition

  10. #9
    6th Gear

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    East Sussex
    Posts
    1,558
    Quote Originally Posted by cbotved View Post
    Okay, i know....

    I have had an iPhone 3G, 4 and 5.... So I might be a little bit bias.

    However, when my job put up a android-only policy I thought "how bad can it be?"

    Ohh boy was I up for some nasty surprises!

    Got the new Samsung Galaxy S5

    - charger imploded after charging 10 min - needed a new charger
    - earphones are so extremely bad in quality, you would not believe it!
    - they hurt my ears, even with the smallest plastic molds on
    - feel of the +/- buttons is really bad
    - sound quality is really poor
    - you need to download apps for everything, even fx podcast, and chances are that you get a crappy app
    - finger scanner - ohh boy, don't get me started on that one.... Takes AT LEAST 5 swipes to lock up the phone.
    - the water protector of the USB plugs is just in the way all the time, when you want to connect a cable

    And now to the audi a3 part

    I have just bought the correct AMI >> micro USB cable

    - podcasts can not play over it, like it was easily possible with the iPhone
    - if you manually get the podcast playback to work, then it is not possible to change podcast from the car, like it was easily possible with the iPhone
    - phone still rings in the phonebox, although the car is also ringing - why?!


    All in all, really not impressed - and I dearly miss my iPhone just 4 days in the land of android.....
    Yes you are biased as most people would be having owned one brand for a long time, so why did you get one?
    Now a proud owner of a A3 1.4 tfsi Saloon S-Line, 6-speed, Daytona Grey, Technology Pack, Comfort Pack, Cruise, Advanced Key, Privacy Glass, Audi Parking System Plus, Interior Lighting, Folding Door Mirrors, Light & Rain Sensor. Hold Assist.

  11. #10
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    81
    Quote Originally Posted by warren_S3 View Post
    Interesting. My other half works at VF HQ and I've heard similar mixed reports of people being wowed over to Samsung and then finding it wasn't quite as good an experience as the Apple detractors had suggested.

    I was on the verge of changing as I've specced MMI high on my new car and Apple phones don't support the system with the BT standard so I'm having to get a SIM for the dash. It was a wobble moment, but after garnering some feedback I decided to go for the iP 5s which is 'fine'. These days reviews are so polarized about products that are emotive purchases I don't think you can go with anything other than your own personal judgement.
    All I'd say is Samsung don't represent the best that Android phones have to offer. My experience wit them wasn't great.
    Experiences with HTC and now the NExus 5 have been far far superior.

    But I was an iPhone man for nearly 5 years.
    But I'm in no hurry to go back. I've found Android to be superior in every way (apart from, it would appear, being compatible with an Audi A3 :D )

  12. #11
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    London
    Posts
    92
    I have a Galaxy S5 - Not too sure about the charger issues you've experience (was it connected to a regular power supply?) as there isn't normally a lot to go wrong with a phone charger. Also - the flap at the bottom is there to keep the device waterproof should it be submerged - not too much of an issue taking it out / in when charging. OEM earphones bundled with phones are usually pants - (Apple ones are by far the worst - Samsung not far behind). If you're listening to music with headphones in, best to get a set of Sennheiser in-ear ear-phones or Bose.

    Re the A3 MMI compatibility, I get access to all the functions you mention above via the regular Bluetooth connection. Just pair the phone up like normal and away you go! Don't bother about connecting the car via the MMI USB cable. Just connect it up to the charger socket / cigarette lighter if you need to charge the battery.
    Collected: Audi A3 8V Sportback 1.8 TFSI S-Tronic S-Line. Ice Silver, Alu Roof Rails, Audi Side Assist, B&O Audio, Comfort Pack (w/ACC, Parking System Plus & Park Assist), Sports Suspension, Elec Folding Mirrors, Ext Interior Mono-Pur, Fine Nappa Seats, Heated Front Seats, Hill Hold Assist, Interior Light Package, Non-Smoking Package, Pano Glass Sunroof, Privacy Glass, Reversing Camera, Technology Package, Load-Through System, Tyre Pressure Monitor. 4 Year Warranty

  13. #12
    Andy1608's Avatar
    3rd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    York
    Posts
    518

    My Social Networking

    Visit Andy1608's Youtube Channel
    I was an apple user for years and then went to Samsung and wouldn't go back to apple, not the phones anyway.

  14. #13
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    81
    I actually think hardware is where Apple is best. The iPhone as a phone is great.

    The problem for them is Android's software (ie the operating system itself) is way ahead
    cuke2u likes this.

  15. #14
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    51
    Now I feel like a complete idiot if the AMI (38£) cable does exactly the same (only charge) as a Micro USB (4£) cable....
    Using Tapatalk

  16. #15
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    London
    Posts
    92
    Sorry bud - that might just be the case. Once you've got your phone all paired up via bluetooth, you should have everything you need working. Although sound quality via Bluetooth isn't quite up to CD standard, it's still pretty good.
    Collected: Audi A3 8V Sportback 1.8 TFSI S-Tronic S-Line. Ice Silver, Alu Roof Rails, Audi Side Assist, B&O Audio, Comfort Pack (w/ACC, Parking System Plus & Park Assist), Sports Suspension, Elec Folding Mirrors, Ext Interior Mono-Pur, Fine Nappa Seats, Heated Front Seats, Hill Hold Assist, Interior Light Package, Non-Smoking Package, Pano Glass Sunroof, Privacy Glass, Reversing Camera, Technology Package, Load-Through System, Tyre Pressure Monitor. 4 Year Warranty

  17. #16
    DanV8's Avatar
    Still waiting for a new ECU!!

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    East Norfolk coast.
    Posts
    52

    My Social Networking

    Visit DanV8's Instagram Channel
    Just as a matter of interest why would a company make an Andriod only policy?
    BTW I'm using the galaxy note 3 and wouldn't change it for my wife's Iphone5s for all the tea in china.
    "Speed Never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you" - Jeremy Clarkson

  18. #17
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    81
    Might be to do with compatibility with their computer system.

    Unless the company uses Macs then there's no real advantage to people using iPhones as their company phones.
    If the company uses GMail then it's even more reason to choose Android.

    I'd assume the company just decided it was easier if everybody was on one particular operating system on their phone, and decided on Android

  19. #18
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    London
    Posts
    108
    Generally you want one platform to support, so you dont have the overhead of staff being trained and having to test against 15 different things.

    We support iOS, Android and Blackberry, which is a nightmare - however we generally prefer iOS and blackberry, as they have far fewer security problems than android.

    Still no clue what lead I need for my iPhone 5 on the new s3 though. RedGreenACADAF.....

  20. #19
    kanecullen89's Avatar
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    358
    I don't know why you're all moaning about iPhones and android phones. My company only provide us with blackberry phones.
    Now they are real piles of sh*t!! I'd rather use a Nokia 3210!

  21. #20
    JohnnyM100's Avatar
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Hampshire/Surrey border
    Posts
    461
    Quote Originally Posted by SockToy View Post
    Still no clue what lead I need for my iPhone 5 on the new s3 though. RedGreenACADAF.....
    Red collar AMI cable plus GENUINE Apple 30-pin to lightning adapter - everything works including audio, track names, control from steering wheel and album artwork
    OR
    Green collar AMI Cable. I think the AC/AD/AF suffix revision debate will go on for a while. I have the green collar AD cable. Audio, track names & control from steering wheel works but album artwork does not (even for same track that works on red collar plus genuine 30-pin to lightning).

    Hardware: iPhone 5S iOS 7.1
    Audi Sound System; MMI non tech pack.

    John.
    warren_S5 likes this.
    Enjoying my 8V

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Pairing my samsung galaxy mini with blutooth on Rnse
    By johnmandy in forum Audi S4/A4/A4 Cab (B7 Chassis)
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 14th November 2011, 22:29
  2. samsung galaxy s2
    By 205man in forum Home Cinema, Hi-Fi and Gadgets
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 23rd June 2011, 08:14
  3. Any one got a Samsung Galaxy S?
    By robp_kent in forum A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 13th March 2011, 14:36
  4. Setting up Ntl Email on Samsung Galaxy S phone
    By Alba77 in forum Home Cinema, Hi-Fi and Gadgets
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 4th November 2010, 10:02

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO

Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO