Chris NottMonster Motorsport
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Golf R, auto express test

5th Gear

Status

Golf R, auto express test

Did anyone see the review of the golf R in auto express (I think it was) this week?

against a rsq3 and a a45 amg.

Golf won and also managed to lay down a 4.5 0-60 in the wet, beating the other two - quite incredible if true.

The S3 only got a passing mention as a suitable alternative but I tend to read the golf R and s3 reviews interchangeably.

They also compared these new trio to the 996 911 turbo of yesteryear - something I can see similarities in too actually.
    Build Week 1: Panther Black S3 SB S-Tronic, black nappa, anthracite alloys, comfort pack with adaptive cruise and parking plus, active lane assist, adaptive xenons with variable range control and auto high beam, technology package HIGH with connect, B&O, tyre pressure warning, fold/dim/dip/heat mirrors, reversible boot liner, extended mono pur interior, privacy glass, hill hold assist, LED interior light pack, electric lumber support.

2. # ADS
    ADS

3rd Gear

Status
    4.5 in the wet. Jesus that would embarrass some super cars

3rd Gear

Status
    Yeah, I saw that and agree, S3 and Golf R are pretty much interchangeable in my mind too, same gearbox, same engine, same basic stats. So body and interior aside, I think they're the same for performance purposes. Which means the S3 blows the AMG away!!
    S3 Saloon S-Tronic. Panther Black. Tech Pack, Super-sports seats, LED Lights, Comfort pack with Adaptive Cruise and parking plus, Folding mirrors, Bang and Olufsen Sound System, Interior Light Pack, Hill Hold Assist, Privacy glass, Tyre sensor, Boot Mat

Previously 2.0TSi VW Scirocco

Neutral

Status
    Do you have a link to this so we can see??
    2014 - S3 3dr S-tronic, Glacier White, Black styling pack, Advanced key, Super sports seats, LED headlights, Interior lighting package, B&O system, Tech pack, Comfort pack, reversing camera, Cruise control, Light and rain sensor, Parking system plus, Privacy Glass.

5th Gear

Status
    It's in this weeks mag on the shelves now. I didn't buy a copy so can't scan in but pop into a supermarket!
    Scotty2011 likes this.
    Build Week 1: Panther Black S3 SB S-Tronic, black nappa, anthracite alloys, comfort pack with adaptive cruise and parking plus, active lane assist, adaptive xenons with variable range control and auto high beam, technology package HIGH with connect, B&O, tyre pressure warning, fold/dim/dip/heat mirrors, reversible boot liner, extended mono pur interior, privacy glass, hill hold assist, LED interior light pack, electric lumber support.

3rd Gear

Status
    It'll be up on the website soon I think. I have a subscription on my iPad
    S3 Saloon S-Tronic. Panther Black. Tech Pack, Super-sports seats, LED Lights, Comfort pack with Adaptive Cruise and parking plus, Folding mirrors, Bang and Olufsen Sound System, Interior Light Pack, Hill Hold Assist, Privacy glass, Tyre sensor, Boot Mat

Previously 2.0TSi VW Scirocco

1st Gear

Status
    I notice the Golf R is getting a lot of press and the S3 seems to conveniently be overlooked. I did consider the Golf, but the looks of it trouble me, the interior isn't up with the Audi, nor are some of the options and the service from the dealers definitely lags behind Audi. The whole R brand thing IMO has no kudos. The last golf R was pretty lame - I had use of one for a short while and was left a bit underwhelmed by the thing. When you also factor in that the price is more or less the same when you spec the audi and VW equally, why would you buy a Golf R over an S3? Beats me to be honest. I did find a good comparison in a german car mag I was flicking through when delayed at Frankfurt airport last week, the Audi was a tenth or two quicker than the golf and they did a timed lap, the S3 won that as well. Albeit by not a lot.
    S3 Misano Red | s tronic | super sport seats | black styling pack | 10 spoke matt titanium alloys | privacy glass|technology pack high with mobile | audi sound system | though load | light & rain sensor pack | rear parking sensors | electric folding mirrors | tyre pressure monitoring | non smoking pack.

Scheduled delivery June 2014

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by SilureMark View Post
    I notice the Golf R is getting a lot of press and the S3 seems to conveniently be overlooked. I did consider the Golf, but the looks of it trouble me, the interior isn't up with the Audi, nor are some of the options and the service from the dealers definitely lags behind Audi. When you also factor in that the price is more or less the same when you spec the cars equally, why would you buy a Golf R over an S3? Beats me to be honest. I did find a good comparison in a german car mag I was flicking through when delayed at Frankfurt airport last week, the Audi was a tenth or two quicker than the golf and they did a timed lap, the S3 won that as well. Albeit by not a lot.
    Some people are very brand loyal, it doesn't matter what the facts are, they will tell themselves it the best car. A good example is all the Golf GTI fans, most are convinced that the GTI will put the S3 to shame.

I'm new to the brand, previous car were Subarus, this time round, was actually thinking of a Golf R, but once the S3 pricing came out, it got me interested, and then the S3 Sedan was announced, that was the deal clincher.
    On order S3 Sedan - S-Tronic, Sepang Blue, S Performance Pack, Driver Assist Pack, Folding mirrors, Privacy glass and Tinted windows.

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Longy View Post
    Some people are very brand loyal, it doesn't matter what the facts are, they will tell themselves it the best car. A good example is all the Golf GTI fans, most are convinced that the GTI will put the S3 to shame.

I'm new to the brand, previous car were Subarus, this time round, was actually thinking of a Golf R, but once the S3 pricing came out, it got me interested, and then the S3 Sedan was announced, that was the deal clincher.
    I had an A3 > GTI > S3 :P I know you said "most" but still

3rd Gear

Status
    you can't get rails on the Golf R either.
    PilotAudi likes this.

Status
    I've always been surprised how the motoring press coo over the Golf R and largely overlook the S3. Only Autocar seemed to buck this trend with the 8P and gave it fair shout, everyone else largely ignored it or panned it. I was intrigued to see if history repeated itself with the 8V.

When I saw a Golf R recently I didn't even realise it was an R until someone asked me had I seen it on the dealer forecourt. I'd driven past it a number of times and not even batted an eyelid or registered it. I think the latest one is the blandest yet. But Golf buyers will buy it because it's a Golf, and in there mind it's better than any car (even the ones that share 90+% of it's DNA and have more luxurious interiors and arguably better looks).
    Audi S3 Panther Black [2011] Build Thread
    Mods: Revo Stg2, Blueflame TBE, Eibach Pro springs, R8 oil cap

On order: Audi S5 3.0V6T Coupe Black Edition, Phantom Black [Due 26 May 2014]

Planned Mods: Revo Stg1+ with DSG map, Revo CAI, custom exhaust, H&R Trax spacers, EM Tuning LED interior lights, R8 oil cap, Porsche coolant & brake fluid cap

Neutral

Status
    I looked at the Golf R before buying the S3 and to be honest the S3 just looks and feels a better car. I didn't actually see the Golf R physically until after I picked up the S3 and I am more than sure I made the right choice.

I was a previous Golf GTI Ed 35 owner.

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Zig81 View Post
    I looked at the Golf R before buying the S3 and to be honest the S3 just looks and feels a better car. I didn't actually see the Golf R physically until after I picked up the S3 and I am more than sure I made the right choice.

I was a previous Golf GTI Ed 35 owner.
    Do you feel S3 sport than Ed 35?

2nd Gear

Status
    I agree with the comments about the motoring press cooing over VW and almost ignoring the S3, don't get me wrong I had a MK 6 GTI before getting into an S3 then the RS3, the GTI is a nice car and so was the golf R, but for me the build quality of VW isn't a patch on Audi, both the GTI and the demo R I drove had rattles and creaks in the trim which drove me bonkers, not something you expect from a 3 month old car.
    2012 Misano Red RS3 / Bucket seats Heated front & Rear / Aluminium Styling Pack / Bose / RNS-E / Bluetooth / Mobile phone prep low / AMI / Reversing Sensors / LED number plate lights / Led interior light pack / VCDS / Cruise Control / Exclusive Inlays / Auto Lights & Wipers / 8.5J fronts / extended leather /

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by the_lecht_rocks View Post
    you can't get rails on the Golf R either.
    Golf Forum (R and Gti) has far less anal posts and less of a pre-occupation with cup holders, PP's and Tom Toms than audi-sport.

Sorry Warren!

I still reckon this Forum would be greatly improved if the non-car stuff and non- S3/RS3 stuff were separated... still available if you want it of course... but not rammed down your face every time you log in! Just my 2p.. I'm interested in cars not PP's & Tom Toms. It's also very annoying how all us S3 folks with Privacy glass are 'classed' as boy racers and drug dealers.... Back to my ovaltine now ;-)

I reckon S3 is better than Golf R BTW !
    SOLD 0201204 8P March 2011 Black Edition 2.0Tdi170 Sportback quattro..lots of bits... Others in the Garage......
    Arrived 1 March 2014 ..Phantom 2014 8V S3 Sportback. lots of bits, Pano roof, Tech Pack.TPMS, WOW ;-)

1st Gear

Status
    S3 is miles better than golf r! Had them side by side. Chalk and cheese

1st Gear

Status
    The chassis, drivetrain, engine and steering is the same so how there not directly mentioned in the same breathe is daft and plain bias by the motoring press. The only thing separating them is looks and interior and that should be mentioned in every single test done.
    steeve and PilotAudi like this.
    2013 Glacier White S3 Sportback S-Tronic

5th Gear

Status
    Does it mean seat is the quickest out there?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tgdtVhQzJM

Nearly a second faster yet FWD and 4k cheaper. If only you could live with the looks
    Last edited by RedDejavu; 2 Days Ago at 18:32.
    warren_S3 likes this.
    Be patient. English is tough.

Now:

61 Audi S3 BE S-Tronic Ibis White: Build Thread.
    / Black Edition pack (SatNav, Bluetooth) / Parking Sensors / Tinted windows / piano inlays and finish / Cruise Control / Interior light pack /
    /Mods: REVO Stage 2+: Revo Intake / Milltek Resonated TBE / LOBA HPFP/ GFB DV+ / Crystal Clear H11 FOGS / Black roof + spoiler vinyl wrap / H&R Anti-roll bars / Superpro ALK /

6th Gear

Status
    Nowt wrong with Seat or Skoda just not an Audi.
    SOLD 0201204 8P March 2011 Black Edition 2.0Tdi170 Sportback quattro..lots of bits... Others in the Garage......
    Arrived 1 March 2014 ..Phantom 2014 8V S3 Sportback. lots of bits, Pano roof, Tech Pack.TPMS, WOW ;-)

1st Gear

Status

I had a Leon Cupra for a while to fulfil my need to have a Stage 2+ 2.0 TFSI as quickly and cheaply as possible but in a less than year old car.

I definitely felt I had something distinctly inferior to the Golf Edition 30 and that I was judged as being less welcome on certain forums. I think Seat owners do have a bit of a chip in their shoulder; apologies for the broad generalisation but this is from first hand experience on SeatCupra.Net.

The Golf R is great car but if you could have both cars at top spec and money wasn't an issue, you would go for S3.
    Last edited by pat15312; 2 Days Ago at 20:51.
    Audi 8V S3 s-tronic
    Phantom Black | Black styling pack | Titanium 18" alloy wheels | LED headlights
    Super sports seats | mono.pur
    | Bang & Olufsen | Advance key | Interior LEDs
    Technology pack | Audi Connect | Parking System Plus | Reversing Camera
    ACC | Hold assist | Pre-sense | Headlight assist | Privacy glass | TPMS
    LTE data by EE | Paint protection by Gtechniq | more to come...

3rd Gear

Status
    The ONLY reason I bought the S3 was for the roof rails as a factory option.
    Nothing wrong with the Golf IMHO.
    PilotAudi likes this.

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by warren_S3 View Post
    I've always been surprised how the motoring press coo over the Golf R and largely overlook the S3. Only Autocar seemed to buck this trend with the 8P and gave it fair shout, everyone else largely ignored it or panned it. I was intrigued to see if history repeated itself with the 8V.

When I saw a Golf R recently I didn't even realise it was an R until someone asked me had I seen it on the dealer forecourt. I'd driven past it a number of times and not even batted an eyelid or registered it. I think the latest one is the blandest yet. But Golf buyers will buy it because it's a Golf, and in there mind it's better than any car (even the ones that share 90+% of it's DNA and have more luxurious interiors and arguably better looks).
    I agree, S3's always tend to be overlooked. They never get a decent review online especially on Top Gear's site but the Golf is always loved....

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by pat15312 View Post
    I had a Leon Cupra for a while to fulfil my need to have a Stage 2+ 2.0 TFSI as quickly and cheaply as possible but in a less than year old car.

I definitely felt I had something distinctly inferior to the Golf Edition 30 and that I was judged as being less welcome on certain forums. I think Seat owners do have a bit of a chip in their shoulder; apologies for the broad generalisation but this is from first hand experience on SeatCupra.Net.

The Golf R is great car but if you could have both cars at top spec and money wasn't an issue, you would go for S3.
    If money was not an issue then I would drive an v10 R8 not an S3
    j16jrf likes this.
    Be patient. English is tough.

Now:

61 Audi S3 BE S-Tronic Ibis White: Build Thread.
    / Black Edition pack (SatNav, Bluetooth) / Parking Sensors / Tinted windows / piano inlays and finish / Cruise Control / Interior light pack /
    /Mods: REVO Stage 2+: Revo Intake / Milltek Resonated TBE / LOBA HPFP/ GFB DV+ / Crystal Clear H11 FOGS / Black roof + spoiler vinyl wrap / H&R Anti-roll bars / Superpro ALK /

1st Gear

Status
    Obviously I meant money not object but had to be on if those two...
    Audi 8V S3 s-tronic
    Phantom Black | Black styling pack | Titanium 18" alloy wheels | LED headlights
    Super sports seats | mono.pur
    | Bang & Olufsen | Advance key | Interior LEDs
    Technology pack | Audi Connect | Parking System Plus | Reversing Camera
    ACC | Hold assist | Pre-sense | Headlight assist | Privacy glass | TPMS
    LTE data by EE | Paint protection by Gtechniq | more to come...

2nd Gear

Status
    What you have to bear in mind is that the Golf R is Volkswagen's performance pinnacle.
    You get no better with a VW badge.

The S3 is (until the S1 is on the road) Audi's lowest performance branded car.
    There is also the RS range which often makes the S range less important to the journo's.

I think this plays a part in the S3 being overlooked.
    It's small fry in the grand scheme of things.

1st Gear

Status
    Your right about VW, performance wise though the S3 has made a significant jump this generation ( now faster on paper then the S4 ) and obviously cheaper. S3 is a great pick of the "S" cars in my opinion, spoke to a few people who have wanted 3 doors and moved from S5's to S3's based on size, handling, etc.

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by PilotAudi View Post
    Golf Forum (R and Gti) has far less anal posts and less of a pre-occupation with cup holders, PP's and Tom Toms than audi-sport.

Sorry Warren!

I still reckon this Forum would be greatly improved if the non-car stuff and non- S3/RS3 stuff were separated... still available if you want it of course... but not rammed down your face every time you log in! Just my 2p.. I'm interested in cars not PP's & Tom Toms. It's also very annoying how all us S3 folks with Privacy glass are 'classed' as boy racers and drug dealers.... Back to my ovaltine now ;-)

I reckon S3 is better than Golf R BTW !
    If you don't like it here and your prefer their approach then why not join them rather than just banging on about how much you hate it here?

Sorry PA!
    h5djr, veeeight and Cleggy70 like this.

Planned Mods: Revo Stg1+ with DSG map, Revo CAI, custom exhaust, H&R Trax spacers, EM Tuning LED interior lights, R8 oil cap, Porsche coolant & brake fluid cap

6th Gear

Status
    Not saying I hate it here Warren just think a bit of VDT on the forum would help! That is meant to be constructive by the way (as always!)

Status
    Video display terminal
    Valuable drinking time

As always we appreciate your comments and will file them accordingly; thank you!
    cemerson likes this.

6th Gear

Status
    Video display terminal
    Valuable drinking time

As always we appreciate your comments and will file them accordingly; thank you!
    You know what I mean Warren.

VDT Vino da Tavola
    VDT Virtual Data Toolkit
    VDT Verband Deutscher Tonmeister
    VDT Volume Doubling Time
    VDT Visual Disk Test
    VDT Variable Density Tunnel
    VDT Video Data Terminal
    VDT Variable Discharge Turbine
    VDT Vertical Deceleration Tower
    VDT Value Driver Tree
    VDT Vehicle Data Terminal
    VDT Variable Depth Transducer
    VDT Van der Merwe du Toit
    VDT Voluntary Down Time
    VDT Variable Data Table
    VDT Vascular Dilatation and Tortuosity
    VDT Valuable Drinking Time
    VDT Valdosta Daily Times
    VDT Variable Dwell Time
    VDT Vehicle Dynamics Technology
    VDT Virtual Design Team
    VDT Vehicle Damage Tracking
    VDT Vin de Table
    VDT Video Dial Tone
    VDT Video Display Terminal
    VDT Video Display Tube
    VDT Visual Display Terminal
    VDT Virginia Department of Taxation
    Dave R (h5djr)
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A3 8V 2.0 TDI-184 Sportback Sport s-tronic quattro - Silver + lots of options - my 9th A3

Status
    I'm still not sure I'm convinced which one of the above it is (or isn't), but then I'm not very bright!

I'm still not sure I'm convinced which one of the above it is (or isn't), but then I'm not very bright!
    Perhaps we move in different circles....
    warren_S3 likes this.
    Dave R (h5djr)
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A3 8V 2.0 TDI-184 Sportback Sport s-tronic quattro - Silver + lots of options - my 9th A3

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by h5djr View Post
    Perhaps we move in different circles....
    I'm going with 'Virginia Department of Taxation' because I don't have a clue either!
    h5djr and warren_S3 like this.
    Sport 2.0 TDI 150 Sportback in Scuba Blue, alcantara/leather, advanced key, audi sound system, comfort pack w/ ACC and park assist, deselect sports suspension, auto-dimming & folding door mirrors, electric lumbar support, heated seats, hold assist, non-smoking pack, side & lane assist, reversing camera, storage & luggage pack, tech pack with audi connect, tyre pressure warning, towbar, variable headlight range control, xenon light pack

6th Gear

Status
    And I thought this was a car forum... not one for very dull twats ;-) Note the smiley!!

Status
    Vehicle dynamics technology?

5th Gear

Status
    Errr, the Golf R review anyone

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Itguy View Post
    Errr, the Golf R review anyone
    It was a good review! Clearly VW are using some of Audi Vdt in the Golf R!

3rd Gear

Status
    ach - edited, cant be bothered !

6th Gear

Status

I'm no expert and the Pilot handle was given to me by ASN years ago. I think you need to re read some of my 'tongue in cheak' posts before throwing muck !

Thanks for deleting your post ;-)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast