Golf R, auto express test

Itguy

Reaction score
Did anyone see the review of the golf R in auto express (I think it was) this week?

against a rsq3 and a a45 amg.

Golf won and also managed to lay down a 4.5 0-60 in the wet, beating the other two - quite incredible if true.

The S3 only got a passing mention as a suitable alternative but I tend to read the golf R and s3 reviews interchangeably.

They also compared these new trio to the 996 911 turbo of yesteryear - something I can see similarities in too actually.

Yeah, I saw that and agree, S3 and Golf R are pretty much interchangeable in my mind too, same gearbox, same engine, same basic stats. So body and interior aside, I think they're the same for performance purposes. Which means the S3 blows the AMG away!!

It's in this weeks mag on the shelves now. I didn't buy a copy so can't scan in but pop into a supermarket!

Reactions: Scotty2011
It'll be up on the website soon I think. I have a subscription on my iPad

I notice the Golf R is getting a lot of press and the S3 seems to conveniently be overlooked. I did consider the Golf, but the looks of it trouble me, the interior isn't up with the Audi, nor are some of the options and the service from the dealers definitely lags behind Audi. The whole R brand thing IMO has no kudos. The last golf R was pretty lame - I had use of one for a short while and was left a bit underwhelmed by the thing. When you also factor in that the price is more or less the same when you spec the audi and VW equally, why would you buy a Golf R over an S3? Beats me to be honest. I did find a good comparison in a german car mag I was flicking through when delayed at Frankfurt airport last week, the Audi was a tenth or two quicker than the golf and they did a timed lap, the S3 won that as well. Albeit by not a lot.

I notice the Golf R is getting a lot of press and the S3 seems to conveniently be overlooked. I did consider the Golf, but the looks of it trouble me, the interior isn't up with the Audi, nor are some of the options and the service from the dealers definitely lags behind Audi. When you also factor in that the price is more or less the same when you spec the cars equally, why would you buy a Golf R over an S3? Beats me to be honest. I did find a good comparison in a german car mag I was flicking through when delayed at Frankfurt airport last week, the Audi was a tenth or two quicker than the golf and they did a timed lap, the S3 won that as well. Albeit by not a lot.

Some people are very brand loyal, it doesn't matter what the facts are, they will tell themselves it the best car. A good example is all the Golf GTI fans, most are convinced that the GTI will put the S3 to shame.

I'm new to the brand, previous car were Subarus, this time round, was actually thinking of a Golf R, but once the S3 pricing came out, it got me interested, and then the S3 Sedan was announced, that was the deal clincher.

Some people are very brand loyal, it doesn't matter what the facts are, they will tell themselves it the best car. A good example is all the Golf GTI fans, most are convinced that the GTI will put the S3 to shame.

I'm new to the brand, previous car were Subarus, this time round, was actually thinking of a Golf R, but once the S3 pricing came out, it got me interested, and then the S3 Sedan was announced, that was the deal clincher.

I had an A3 > GTI > S3 :p I know you said "most" but still ;)

I've always been surprised how the motoring press coo over the Golf R and largely overlook the S3. Only Autocar seemed to buck this trend with the 8P and gave it fair shout, everyone else largely ignored it or panned it. I was intrigued to see if history repeated itself with the 8V.

When I saw a Golf R recently I didn't even realise it was an R until someone asked me had I seen it on the dealer forecourt. I'd driven past it a number of times and not even batted an eyelid or registered it. I think the latest one is the blandest yet. But Golf buyers will buy it because it's a Golf, and in there mind it's better than any car (even the ones that share 90+% of it's DNA and have more luxurious interiors and arguably better looks).

I looked at the Golf R before buying the S3 and to be honest the S3 just looks and feels a better car. I didn't actually see the Golf R physically until after I picked up the S3 and I am more than sure I made the right choice.

I was a previous Golf GTI Ed 35 owner.

I looked at the Golf R before buying the S3 and to be honest the S3 just looks and feels a better car. I didn't actually see the Golf R physically until after I picked up the S3 and I am more than sure I made the right choice.

I was a previous Golf GTI Ed 35 owner.

Do you feel S3 sport than Ed 35?

I agree with the comments about the motoring press cooing over VW and almost ignoring the S3, don't get me wrong I had a MK 6 GTI before getting into an S3 then the RS3, the GTI is a nice car and so was the golf R, but for me the build quality of VW isn't a patch on Audi, both the GTI and the demo R I drove had rattles and creaks in the trim which drove me bonkers, not something you expect from a 3 month old car.

you can't get rails on the Golf R either.

Golf Forum (R and Gti) has far less anal posts and less of a pre-occupation with cup holders, PP's and Tom Toms than audi-sport.

Sorry Warren!

I still reckon this Forum would be greatly improved if the non-car stuff and non- S3/RS3 stuff were separated... still available if you want it of course... but not rammed down your face every time you log in! Just my 2p.. I'm interested in cars not PP's & Tom Toms. It's also very annoying how all us S3 folks with Privacy glass are 'classed' as boy racers and drug dealers.... Back to my ovaltine now ;-)

I reckon S3 is better than Golf R BTW !

S3 is miles better than golf r! Had them side by side. Chalk and cheese

The chassis, drivetrain, engine and steering is the same so how there not directly mentioned in the same breathe is daft and plain bias by the motoring press. The only thing separating them is looks and interior and that should be mentioned in every single test done.

Reactions: steeve and PilotAudi
I had a Leon Cupra for a while to fulfil my need to have a Stage 2+ 2.0 TFSI as quickly and cheaply as possible but in a less than year old car.

I definitely felt I had something distinctly inferior to the Golf Edition 30 and that I was judged as being less welcome on certain forums. I think Seat owners do have a bit of a chip in their shoulder; apologies for the broad generalisation but this is from first hand experience on SeatCupra.Net.

The Golf R is great car but if you could have both cars at top spec and money wasn't an issue, you would go for S3.

Last edited:
I've always been surprised how the motoring press coo over the Golf R and largely overlook the S3. Only Autocar seemed to buck this trend with the 8P and gave it fair shout, everyone else largely ignored it or panned it. I was intrigued to see if history repeated itself with the 8V.

When I saw a Golf R recently I didn't even realise it was an R until someone asked me had I seen it on the dealer forecourt. I'd driven past it a number of times and not even batted an eyelid or registered it. I think the latest one is the blandest yet. But Golf buyers will buy it because it's a Golf, and in there mind it's better than any car (even the ones that share 90+% of it's DNA and have more luxurious interiors and arguably better looks).

I agree, S3's always tend to be overlooked. They never get a decent review online especially on Top Gear's site but the Golf is always loved....

I had a Leon Cupra for a while to fulfil my need to have a Stage 2+ 2.0 TFSI as quickly and cheaply as possible but in a less than year old car.

I definitely felt I had something distinctly inferior to the Golf Edition 30 and that I was judged as being less welcome on certain forums. I think Seat owners do have a bit of a chip in their shoulder; apologies for the broad generalisation but this is from first hand experience on SeatCupra.Net.

The Golf R is great car but if you could have both cars at top spec and money wasn't an issue, you would go for S3.

If money was not an issue then I would drive an v10 R8 not an S3:)

Reactions: j16jrf
What you have to bear in mind is that the Golf R is Volkswagen's performance pinnacle.
You get no better with a VW badge.

The S3 is (until the S1 is on the road) Audi's lowest performance branded car.
There is also the RS range which often makes the S range less important to the journo's.

I think this plays a part in the S3 being overlooked.
It's small fry in the grand scheme of things.

Your right about VW, performance wise though the S3 has made a significant jump this generation ( now faster on paper then the S4 ) and obviously cheaper. S3 is a great pick of the "S" cars in my opinion, spoke to a few people who have wanted 3 doors and moved from S5's to S3's based on size, handling, etc.

Golf Forum (R and Gti) has far less anal posts and less of a pre-occupation with cup holders, PP's and Tom Toms than audi-sport.

Sorry Warren!

I still reckon this Forum would be greatly improved if the non-car stuff and non- S3/RS3 stuff were separated... still available if you want it of course... but not rammed down your face every time you log in! Just my 2p.. I'm interested in cars not PP's & Tom Toms. It's also very annoying how all us S3 folks with Privacy glass are 'classed' as boy racers and drug dealers.... Back to my ovaltine now ;-)

I reckon S3 is better than Golf R BTW !

If you don't like it here and your prefer their approach then why not join them rather than just banging on about how much you hate it here?

Sorry PA!

Reactions: Cleggy70, veeeight and h5djr
Not saying I hate it here Warren just think a bit of VDT on the forum would help! That is meant to be constructive by the way (as always!)

Video display terminal
Valuable drinking time

As always we appreciate your comments and will file them accordingly; thank you!

Reactions: cemerson
VDT Vino da Tavola
VDT Virtual Data Toolkit
VDT Verband Deutscher Tonmeister
VDT Volume Doubling Time
VDT Visual Disk Test
VDT Variable Density Tunnel
VDT Video Data Terminal
VDT Variable Discharge Turbine
VDT Vertical Deceleration Tower
VDT Value Driver Tree
VDT Vehicle Data Terminal
VDT Variable Depth Transducer
VDT Van der Merwe du Toit
VDT Voluntary Down Time
VDT Variable Data Table
VDT Vascular Dilatation and Tortuosity
VDT Valuable Drinking Time
VDT Valdosta Daily Times
VDT Variable Dwell Time
VDT Vehicle Dynamics Technology
VDT Virtual Design Team
VDT Vehicle Damage Tracking
VDT Vin de Table
VDT Video Dial Tone
VDT Video Display Terminal
VDT Video Display Tube
VDT Visual Display Terminal
VDT Virginia Department of Taxation

Reactions: jimmydougle, cuke2u, veeeight and 2 others
I'm still not sure I'm convinced which one of the above it is (or isn't), but then I'm not very bright!

I'm still not sure I'm convinced which one of the above it is (or isn't), but then I'm not very bright!

Perhaps we move in different circles....

Reactions: warren_S5
Perhaps we move in different circles....

I'm going with 'Virginia Department of Taxation' because I don't have a clue either!

Reactions: jimmydougle, h5djr and warren_S5
And I thought this was a car forum... not one for very dull twats ;-) Note the smiley!!

Vehicle dynamics technology?

I'm no expert and the Pilot handle was given to me by ASN years ago. I think you need to re read some of my 'tongue in cheak' posts before throwing muck !

Thanks for deleting your post ;-)