Is it possible to stop the MMI screen opening?

SDB

Reaction score
As the title says;
If I want to use my car without the MMI screen constantly raising and lowering each time I get in/out of the car, can it be disabled so I choose when it opens?

Often on an ordinary journey I'll just listen to the radio.

I understand that if I select reverse it'll rise to show the parking sensor image or if I was to choose a number of other functions (tel ,nav, media etc.) but generally I don't particularly need it open.

Any ideas?

Did entire ref this when I placed my order. Salesman enquired with the workshop and the reply was No not possible, however I ' sure there must be a way.

If you just put it down manually then it should stay down when the ignition is next turned on. Not 100% sure on this but have a feeling it does.

If you put it down manually and then leave the car, next time the ignition is turned on it will open up again.
If you switch it off, then you are right, it won't activate next time the ignition is turned on. But this also means no radio, in fact all the mmi functions will have been turned off until you activate them and then the screen rises again.
My wife's C-class merc has a similar screen but has the ability to be raised only when required.

It's not a big issue, I'm just concerned about the longevity of something that has to operate like this multiple times a day unnecessarily.

Ah ok, I was obviously getting confused.

To be honest I don't understand why people want it down anyway - I leave it up all the time, even if just using the radio. The only times I lower it are on long journeys at night, when I'll lower the screen and turn down the interior dash lighting.

This thread reminds me of someone wanting to deactivate start/stop fully, the button is on the dash for them both lol. I mean I could understand it if it was complex to turn them both off when the car is started but come on, it's a button in arms reach

Reactions: PjDali
Thats exactly what I would say about cars that don't have autolocking doors...

Sorry to dig up an old thread. However I am with the original poster. This is the reason I'm undecided on the A3. What it needs is a setting 'close screen after X seconds of inactivity' where X is a use definable amount of seconds from 5 to 60 in 5 second increments.

When not needed I just find it a pointless distraction.

You'll have press the button to close it as there isn't a setting to do it automatically, sorry

Sorry to dig up an old thread. However I am with the original poster. This is the reason I'm undecided on the A3. What it needs is a setting 'close screen after X seconds of inactivity' where X is a use definable amount of seconds from 5 to 60 in 5 second increments.

Don't let such a trivial thing as having to manually lower the screen put you off getting an excellent car. You never know, you may even get used to it being up all the time, and the button really is within easy reach.

Wow, you must be easily distracted. Safe driving....

Wow, you must be easily distracted. Safe driving....
Not especially. It's something that sticks up above the dash line with bright (often animated) lights on constantly. Maybe you aren't distracted easily enough.

Point is is a simple preference setting would sort the issue for those that don't care and those that do.

Just demoed an A3 and this was the only thing that really irritated me.

Not especially. It's something that sticks up above the dash line with bright (often animated) lights on constantly. Maybe you aren't distracted easily enough.

Point is is a simple preference setting would sort the issue for those that don't care and those that do.

Just demoed an A3 and this was the only thing that really irritated me.

Fair enough, different things irritate different people. But the button really is very close to hand.

Reactions: Pulp84
1st world problems and all that

Reactions: kanecullen89 and veeeight
The screen doesn't go anywhere near the area where it would start restricting my view for me (above the bonnet line). Even if it did it would only be a tiny amount.

What do you mean by "maybe you aren't distracted easily enough" - what does that even mean?!

Reactions: Pulp84
Devils advocate: You aren't paying any attention to the environment, because something just outside your immediate field of vision, moving around and glowing isn't getting your attention. Good luck driving when child/ball/scooter/other thing suddenly surprises you.

Not that I actually think you're an unsafe driver, but I dont get the 'I dont want this so you're clearly incompetent' vibe that comes up every time someone asks about keeping the MMI down.

Devils advocate: You aren't paying any attention to the environment, because something just outside your immediate field of vision, moving around and glowing isn't getting your attention. Good luck driving when child/ball/scooter/other thing suddenly surprises you.

The human brain is programmed to tune out static, peripheral distractions such as this so that it can devote more energy to spotting the more urgent distractions of child/ball/scooter etc. That's why I suggested that he may even get used to it and that it shouldn't stop him from owning an A3. And did I mention the button? :sm4:

As the title says;
If I want to use my car without the MMI screen constantly raising and lowering each time I get in/out of the car,

Are you delivering the post in this car?!? How can the raising and lowering sequence be that much of a pain for you?

Their might be a fuse you can pull for the motor perhaps.

The human brain is programmed to tune out static, peripheral distractions such as this so that it can devote more energy to spotting the more urgent distractions of child/ball/scooter etc. That's why I suggested that he may even get used to it and that it shouldn't stop him from owning an A3. And did I mention the button? :sm4:
Trouble is he has now programmed his brain to 'see' the screen as an irritation...

As the title says;
If I want to use my car without the MMI screen constantly raising and lowering each time I get in/out of the car, can it be disabled so I choose when it opens?

Often on an ordinary journey I'll just listen to the radio.

I understand that if I select reverse it'll rise to show the parking sensor image or if I was to choose a number of other functions (tel ,nav, media etc.) but generally I don't particularly need it open.

Any ideas?
Yes it can be disabled manually,however you wouldnt be able to listen to the radio.Just hold down the control button next the mmi wheel.It wont raise when you start the car.
this is fine as i quite often dont use the radio etc anyway.