Badger5Monster Motorsport
Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By Andy1608
  • 1 Post By snakehips
  • 2 Post By Pulp84
  • 1 Post By cemerson

Thread: Is it possible to stop the MMI screen opening?

SDB
    Reverse Gear

Status

Is it possible to stop the MMI screen opening?

As the title says;
    If I want to use my car without the MMI screen constantly raising and lowering each time I get in/out of the car, can it be disabled so I choose when it opens?

Often on an ordinary journey I'll just listen to the radio.

I understand that if I select reverse it'll rise to show the parking sensor image or if I was to choose a number of other functions (tel ,nav, media etc.) but generally I don't particularly need it open.

Any ideas?

2. # ADS
    ADS

5th Gear

Status
    I'm sure you could permanently disable it but obviously that's no good. Not sure, a vagcom setting maybe? But again would need to approve under certain conditions

181 BHP

Status
    Did entire ref this when I placed my order. Salesman enquired with the workshop and the reply was No not possible, however I ' sure there must be a way.
    Proud Owner - A3 Sportback 2 lt Quattro - S Line - Daytona Grey

6th Gear

Status
    If you just put it down manually then it should stay down when the ignition is next turned on. Not 100% sure on this but have a feeling it does.
    Daytona Grey Audi A3 2.0TDI 150 S-Line with Tech Pack, Comfort Pack, Interior Light Pack, Alcantara/Leather seats, B&O sound, DAB radio, Folding/dimming mirrors

SDB
    Reverse Gear

Status
    If you put it down manually and then leave the car, next time the ignition is turned on it will open up again.
    If you switch it off, then you are right, it won't activate next time the ignition is turned on. But this also means no radio, in fact all the mmi functions will have been turned off until you activate them and then the screen rises again.
    My wife's C-class merc has a similar screen but has the ability to be raised only when required.

It's not a big issue, I'm just concerned about the longevity of something that has to operate like this multiple times a day unnecessarily.

6th Gear

Status
    Ah ok, I was obviously getting confused.

To be honest I don't understand why people want it down anyway - I leave it up all the time, even if just using the radio. The only times I lower it are on long journeys at night, when I'll lower the screen and turn down the interior dash lighting.
    Daytona Grey Audi A3 2.0TDI 150 S-Line with Tech Pack, Comfort Pack, Interior Light Pack, Alcantara/Leather seats, B&O sound, DAB radio, Folding/dimming mirrors

3rd Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Visit Andy1608's Youtube Channel
    This thread reminds me of someone wanting to deactivate start/stop fully, the button is on the dash for them both lol. I mean I could understand it if it was complex to turn them both off when the car is started but come on, it's a button in arms reach

6th Gear

Status
    Thats exactly what I would say about cars that don't have autolocking doors...
    Now a proud owner of a A3 1.4 tfsi Saloon S-Line, 6-speed, Daytona Grey, Technology Pack, Comfort Pack, Cruise, Advanced Key, Privacy Glass, Audi Parking System Plus, Interior Lighting, Folding Door Mirrors, Light & Rain Sensor. Hold Assist.

Reverse Gear

Status
    Sorry to dig up an old thread. However I am with the original poster. This is the reason I'm undecided on the A3. What it needs is a setting 'close screen after X seconds of inactivity' where X is a use definable amount of seconds from 5 to 60 in 5 second increments.

When not needed I just find it a pointless distraction.

6th Gear

Status
    You'll have press the button to close it as there isn't a setting to do it automatically, sorry
    Now a proud owner of a A3 1.4 tfsi Saloon S-Line, 6-speed, Daytona Grey, Technology Pack, Comfort Pack, Cruise, Advanced Key, Privacy Glass, Audi Parking System Plus, Interior Lighting, Folding Door Mirrors, Light & Rain Sensor. Hold Assist.

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by benfrain View Post
    Sorry to dig up an old thread. However I am with the original poster. This is the reason I'm undecided on the A3. What it needs is a setting 'close screen after X seconds of inactivity' where X is a use definable amount of seconds from 5 to 60 in 5 second increments.

Don't let such a trivial thing as having to manually lower the screen put you off getting an excellent car. You never know, you may even get used to it being up all the time, and the button really is within easy reach.
    A3 SB S-Line TDi 184PS Quattro S-tronic. Shiraz Red, Tech Pack, Comfort Pack, B&O, Sunroof, LED lights, lots of other stuff.

3rd Gear

Status

Wow, you must be easily distracted. Safe driving....
    S3 Sportback S-Tronic - Amalfi White, Comfort Pack, LED headlights, LED interior lights, High-beam assist, hill hold assist, privacy glass, mono-pur, folding mirrors, TPMS, Audi sound system and black Alacantra. Built week 17. Arrived 17/05/14. Wow......just wow

Reverse Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Pulp84 View Post
    Wow, you must be easily distracted. Safe driving....
    Not especially. It's something that sticks up above the dash line with bright (often animated) lights on constantly. Maybe you aren't distracted easily enough.

Point is is a simple preference setting would sort the issue for those that don't care and those that do.

Just demoed an A3 and this was the only thing that really irritated me.

3rd Gear

Status
    Not especially. It's something that sticks up above the dash line with bright (often animated) lights on constantly. Maybe you aren't distracted easily enough.

Point is is a simple preference setting would sort the issue for those that don't care and those that do.

Just demoed an A3 and this was the only thing that really irritated me.
    Fair enough, different things irritate different people. But the button really is very close to hand.
    Pulp84 likes this.
    A3 SB S-Line TDi 184PS Quattro S-tronic. Shiraz Red, Tech Pack, Comfort Pack, B&O, Sunroof, LED lights, lots of other stuff.

3rd Gear

Status
    1st world problems and all that
    kanecullen89 and veeeight like this.
    S3 Sportback S-Tronic - Amalfi White, Comfort Pack, LED headlights, LED interior lights, High-beam assist, hill hold assist, privacy glass, mono-pur, folding mirrors, TPMS, Audi sound system and black Alacantra. Built week 17. Arrived 17/05/14. Wow......just wow

6th Gear

Status
    The screen doesn't go anywhere near the area where it would start restricting my view for me (above the bonnet line). Even if it did it would only be a tiny amount.

What do you mean by "maybe you aren't distracted easily enough" - what does that even mean?!
    Pulp84 likes this.
    Sport 2.0 TDI 150 Sportback in Scuba Blue, alcantara/leather, advanced key, audi sound system, comfort pack w/ ACC and park assist, deselect sports suspension, auto-dimming & folding door mirrors, electric lumbar support, heated seats, hold assist, non-smoking pack, side & lane assist, reversing camera, storage & luggage pack, tech pack with audi connect, tyre pressure warning, towbar, variable headlight range control, xenon light pack

1st Gear

Status
    Devils advocate: You aren't paying any attention to the environment, because something just outside your immediate field of vision, moving around and glowing isn't getting your attention. Good luck driving when child/ball/scooter/other thing suddenly surprises you.

Not that I actually think you're an unsafe driver, but I dont get the 'I dont want this so you're clearly incompetent' vibe that comes up every time someone asks about keeping the MMI down.
    On order: MY2015 S3 S-Tronic 3 door, Sepang Blue, debadge & body colour mirrors. Many options.

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by SockToy View Post
    Devils advocate: You aren't paying any attention to the environment, because something just outside your immediate field of vision, moving around and glowing isn't getting your attention. Good luck driving when child/ball/scooter/other thing suddenly surprises you.
    The human brain is programmed to tune out static, peripheral distractions such as this so that it can devote more energy to spotting the more urgent distractions of child/ball/scooter etc. That's why I suggested that he may even get used to it and that it shouldn't stop him from owning an A3. And did I mention the button?

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by SDB View Post
    As the title says;
    If I want to use my car without the MMI screen constantly raising and lowering each time I get in/out of the car,
    Are you delivering the post in this car?!? How can the raising and lowering sequence be that much of a pain for you?

Their might be a fuse you can pull for the motor perhaps.
    Audi 8V S3 s-tronic
    Phantom Black | Black styling pack | Titanium 18" alloy wheels | LED headlights
    Super sports seats | mono.pur
    | Bang & Olufsen | Advance key | Interior LEDs
    Technology pack | Audi Connect | Parking System Plus | Reversing Camera
    ACC | Hold assist | Pre-sense | Headlight assist | Privacy glass | TPMS
    LTE data by EE | Paint protection by Gtechniq | more to come...

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by snakehips View Post
    The human brain is programmed to tune out static, peripheral distractions such as this so that it can devote more energy to spotting the more urgent distractions of child/ball/scooter etc. That's why I suggested that he may even get used to it and that it shouldn't stop him from owning an A3. And did I mention the button?
    Trouble is he has now programmed his brain to 'see' the screen as an irritation...

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by SDB View Post
    As the title says;
    If I want to use my car without the MMI screen constantly raising and lowering each time I get in/out of the car, can it be disabled so I choose when it opens?

Often on an ordinary journey I'll just listen to the radio.

I understand that if I select reverse it'll rise to show the parking sensor image or if I was to choose a number of other functions (tel ,nav, media etc.) but generally I don't particularly need it open.

Any ideas?
    Yes it can be disabled manually,however you wouldnt be able to listen to the radio.Just hold down the control button next the mmi wheel.It wont raise when you start the car.
    this is fine as i quite often dont use the radio etc anyway.