184PS TDI against a Civic Type R

Migwire

Reaction score
My mate is after buying a 2005 or 2006 Civic Type R EP3, he was saying how much it would "show up" my new 2.0 TDI 184PS A3, which I would expect given the CTR is a hot hatch, but then it got me thinking, just how much would it show my A3 up? The CTR has 197bhp and 196NM of torque and weighs 1204 kg, my A3 has 181bhp, 380NM of torque and weighs 1290kg. So just how would it fair against the CTR?

Depends what the conditions were, on damp, or rubbish ground your Quattro would help it off the line. If you have Stronic with launch control, you might then get to 60 quicker. Around a track though he'd probably have you with more power and lighter weight

Might find this interesting:

hothatch0012.jpg

EDIT: It appears that's for the 225hp type R (I got the pic/info from: Type R 0-60 comparisons - Civinfo)

Given 0-100km/h (0-62.5mph) are what's quoted now, the 184Q/stronic should be slightly quicker - especially on anything but perfectly dry roads. Would be interesting to see what it's like against my 184Q stronic with DTUK box in a straight line. Snowfree52 (who also has a DTUK box) reckons his was sub 6 seconds to 62.5 (100km/h).

I think it would be fairly one sided in a straight line and on the twisty stuff. Two things (three things if you have S-Tronic) - torque and a much more modern chassis set-up I thing the 184 Quattro would be faster on roads. Track might favour the Type-R with the higher revs though.

Have you driven a Type-R? Very hard to extract the performance from it with its high revs on the road. When I had my 120d about 6 years ago I would always be surprise how I could out drag a Type-R until (ahem) the speed limit. They also do not handle anywhere as good as modern stuff - think the model you mention has a torsion beam set up?

The 8V chassis with the Multi link is very good IMHO.

Can I just say I don't have a quattro A3, it's a fwd manual 184 I have....(embarrassed smiley thing), and Pulp, no, I've not driven a Type R.

Can I just say I don't have a quattro A3, it's a fwd manual 184 I have....(embarrassed smiley thing), and Pulp, no, I've not driven a Type R.

You're not missing anything. Think it would be very even still.

Ep3 would have you bud. Not by much though.

I will say there's a kid at work with a 2007 Corsa VXR, he shot off in front of me yesterday (within 30 seconds of leaving the car park with a cold engine), and have to say it was pretty fast, though the popping and banging wasn't to my liking. Anyway, a few miles later in the traffic and on the motorway I ended up in front of him, and he came alongside gesturing to give it some, in fourth gear I gave it some and he was struggling to keep up. Mind, I'm not too sure how good he is at driving the thing, and think he may be prone to shifting too early, just based on the fact I thought his 192bhp would definitely leave me standing.

I will say there's a kid at work with a 2007 Corsa VXR, he shot off in front of me yesterday (within 30 seconds of leaving the car park with a cold engine), and have to say it was pretty fast, though the popping and banging wasn't to my liking. Anyway, a few miles later in the traffic and on the motorway I ended up in front of him, and he came alongside gesturing to give it some, in fourth gear I gave it some and he was struggling to keep up. Mind, I'm not too sure how good he is at driving the thing, and think he may be prone to shifting too early, just based on the fact I thought his 192bhp would definitely leave me standing.

Interesting. Some kid who lives near me regularly has a little play against me in my A1 185. I smoke him past 60 to be honest and I think the S-Tronic might have something to do with that. 11 bhp difference (and at 7 years old that gap might have narrowed) is not much and you would have much more torque.

Interesting. Some kid who lives near me regularly has a little play against me in my A1 185. I smoke him past 60 to be honest and I think the S-Tronic might have something to do with that. 11 bhp difference (and at 7 years old that gap might have narrowed) is not much and you would have much more torque.
The torque? Haha, he took great pleasure in telling me he had 192bhp and 160ft lbs of torque. Oh, and the puffs of grey smoke out of the exhaust didn't bode well.

Reactions: Pulp84
Might find this interesting:

hothatch0012.jpg

EDIT: It appears that's for the 225hp type R (I got the pic/info from: Type R 0-60 comparisons - Civinfo)

Given 0-100km/h (0-62.5mph) are what's quoted now, the 184Q/stronic should be slightly quicker - especially on anything but perfectly dry roads. Would be interesting to see what it's like against my 184Q stronic with DTUK box in a straight line. Snowfree52 (who also has a DTUK box) reckons his was sub 6 seconds to 62.5 (100km/h).

I did the quarter mile in sub 14s with winter tires. 1,5s faster than the quote you posted for the CTR.

Reactions: arad85
I've owned both the earlier EP3 and later FN2 GT model type R, Great engine but they become very 'Tiring' to drive after a while as everything happens so high up the rev range, I did love the interior of the later FN2 though it made the Focus ST we part ex-d at the time seem old and dull, although Honda ruined it slightly by replacing the multilink rear with a torsion setup.
They seem to have lost their way in the last few years though with the Hot Hatch market, although that looks like it could possibly change soon maybe ?

...... in fourth gear I gave it some and he was struggling to keep up. Mind, I'm not too sure how good he is at driving the thing, and think he may be prone to shifting too early, just based on the fact I thought his 192bhp would definitely leave me standing.

I think it is the in gear acceleration of the 2.0TDI that gives it an edge over a lot of the higher specced competition. I only have the 150BHP version and there has not been much that has go past me when I put my foot down at anything between 30 and 70......still searching for some good and reliable in gear acceleation figures for both the 150 and 184bHP versions of the 2.0TDI

Type-Rs arent that quick tbh ive not owned a civic but had both intergras the DC2 and the DC5 and i would say the DC2 was the best drivers car ive owned,the handling was sublime and it gave me a buzz everytime i drove it,but in a straight line they arent all that.

Diesels are torque monsters and 2ltr NA engines are not,so real world performance yours shouldnt have any problems with an EP3.

Theres only one way to find out..:racer:

Last edited:
Reactions: Migwire