• 1 Post By Belfin
  • 1 Post By veeeight
  • 1 Post By h5djr
  • 2 Post By Daveotto

Thread: CD holder

1st Gear

Status

CD holder

Just wondered how people store their CD's in the car? Is there a genuine Audi CD holder I can get? ­čś│

2. # ADS
    ADS

6th Gear

Status
    CD? What's one of them? :P
    Belfin and MA3RC like this.
    Sport 2.0 TDI 150 Sportback in Scuba Blue, alcantara/leather, advanced key, audi sound system, comfort pack w/ ACC and park assist, deselect sports suspension, auto-dimming & folding door mirrors, electric lumbar support, heated seats, hold assist, non-smoking pack, side & lane assist, reversing camera, storage & luggage pack, tech pack with audi connect, tyre pressure warning, towbar, variable headlight range control, xenon light pack

3rd Gear

Status
    iPod

1st Gear

Status
    A memory card
    h5djr, Belfin and cemerson like this.
    2014 Audi A3 8v 1.4 COD Sport, 3 door hatchback in Brilliant Red, with Privacy Glass, Comfort Pack, Hold Assist, 17ÔÇŁ x 7.5J ÔÇś10-spoke DynamicÔÇÖ design alloy wheels.

Quote Originally Posted by MA3RC View Post
    A memory card
    Just use Windows Media Player or similar software to 'rip' the CDs and copy the files onto an SD card. One SD card can hold lots of CDs, and as it fits directly into the slot on the A3, you have no storage problem at all.
    Dave R (h5djr)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A3 8V 2.0 TDI-184 Sportback Sport s-tronic quattro - Silver + lots of options - my 9th A3

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by h5djr View Post
    Just use Windows Media Player or similar software to 'rip' the CDs and copy the files onto an SD card. One SD card can hold lots of CDs, and as it fits directly into the slot on the A3, you have no storage problem at all.
    Was thinking of ripping out the CD/SD/multimedia unit in the glove box and replacing with an after market 8 track cartridge player as I have the storage pack and have lots of storage nets in various parts of the car for storing the 8 track cartridges
    Scott, Belfin, Y26 AUG and 1 others like this.
    A3 Sportback 2.0TDI S-line, - Daytona Grey, comfort pack, interior light pack , aluminium roof rails, Audi speakers, folding door mirrors, hill hold, sport suspension, no smoking pack.

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Daveotto View Post
    Was thinking of ripping out the CD/SD/multimedia unit in the glove box and replacing with an after market 8 track cartridge player as I have the storage pack and have lots of storage nets in various parts of the car for storing the 8 track cartridges
    Was thinking of doing something similar to this myself.

I'm finding that with my S-Line suspension and the current state of the roads around here, my gramophone setup is continuously jumping between tracks. Plus, it's distracting having to wind the thing every few minutes.

Trip to the dealers tomorrow I think to have a whine!

Cheers, Paul.
    Daveotto likes this.
    Very proud owner of Audi A3 Sportback S Line 2.0TDI in Daytona Grey.

Comfort Pack, Light & Rain Sensor Pack, Audi Sound System, Heated Front Seats, Panoramic Glass Sunroof, Sat Nav (SD Card Based)

Ordered April 14th, Delivered June 24th.

1st Gear

Status
    People still use CDs? Haha. I haven't bought one in years. Sad card for me for everything. I purchase all my music in downloadable format.

1st Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Follow oufc1976 On Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by ConS3:2140120
    People still use CDs? Haha. I haven't bought one in years. Sad card for me for everything. I purchase all my music in downloadable format.
    Unless you downloading them from a high bit rate website then you're paying for music in an inferior format.

Buy CD, rip in to iTunes (or similar), convert to a Lossless format, sync to device and enjoy CD like audio without the CD.

No brainer
    8V A3 Saloon 2.0 TDi S-Line. Daytona Grey. SD Sat Nav. Privacy Glass.

Banned

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by RVP20 View Post
    Just wondered how people store their CD's in the car? Is there a genuine Audi CD holder I can get? ÝáŻÝŞ│
    Try this on EBay

Cd holder | eBay

Banned

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by RVP20 View Post
    Just wondered how people store their CD's in the car? Is there a genuine Audi CD holder I can get? ­čś│
    Try this on EBay

Cd holder | eBay
    S Liner and Belfin like this.

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by oufc1976 View Post
    sync to device and enjoy CD like audio
    Can you please explain what you mean here? Given the MMI will not playback via cable, lossless flacs, how are you going to get anything more than say 350kbps? The codec used for example, when replaying back via Bluetooth will down-sample to what the MMI will accept.

I am fully with you regarding lossless quality. So far, after nearly 2 weeks having my car, I have verified to my ears that a lossless track replayed via bluetooth, sounds better than a MP3 even at 320kbps. An MP3 playing back at anything less than this is not as good in many ways.

My system is the Audi standard - not ASS or the over rated B&O.

So turning to what the the OP may be implying there is a life for CD's. FWIW I haven't yet played one back in my car yet lol! But I will wager they will sound better than bluetoothing or playing back via SD Card.

But maybe someone will shoot me down
    Last edited by rozel; 13th April 2014 at 12:32.

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by PilotAudi View Post
    Try this on EBay

Cd holder | eBay
    May look into one of these myself, possibly in a darker finish to compliment my darker interior.

Very, very nice!

Cheers, Paul.
    PilotAudi likes this.
    Very proud owner of Audi A3 Sportback S Line 2.0TDI in Daytona Grey.

Comfort Pack, Light & Rain Sensor Pack, Audi Sound System, Heated Front Seats, Panoramic Glass Sunroof, Sat Nav (SD Card Based)

Ordered April 14th, Delivered June 24th.

5th Gear

Status
    Well here's the thing.

If you're in the Apple camp, there are lots of possibilities.

If you're using a 30-pin Blue or Red collar AMI cable, then your FLAC file is converted to analogue using the iPod internal DAC, sent as analogue audio through the Audi AMI cable and system, it arrives at the MIB as analogue, converted to digital (ADC unknown) to be put onto the MOST bus to the amplifier, then converted back to analogue (DAC unknown) to get to the speakers.

If you're using Bluetooth to stream your audio, it's most likely that the apt-X codec is being used for the stream, so FLAC is converted to apt-X and then converted again to whatever the MOST bus codec uses.

If you're using a iPod/iPhone with Lightning connector, and using a Red collar AMI cable, then you must use the Apple Lightning to 30 pin adaptor, in which case the DAC is being done in the adaptor itself, using a Wolfson WM8533 DAC. This is then sent as analogue audio through the Audi AMI cable and system, it arrives at the MIB as analogue, converted to digital (ADC unknown) to be put onto the MOST bus to the amplifier, then converted back to analogue (DAC unknown) to get to the speakers.

If you're using a iPod/iPhone with Lightning connector, and using a Green collar AMI cable, then DAC is being done in the Green Collar Audi AMI cable itself (which explains the bulkiness, DAC unknown but likely to be a Wolfson WM8533 DAC). This is then sent as analogue audio through the Audi AMI cable and system, it arrives at the MIB as analogue, converted to digital (ADC unknown) to be put onto the MOST bus to the amplifier, then converted back to analogue (DAC unknown) to get to the speakers.

If however you've encoded your music onto one of the SD cards using a high quality, high sampling, high bitrate codec (say MP3 320 48k), then you've cut out much of the DAC-ADC-DAC process, I would suggest that music stored on the SD card will yield a "better" quality of sound, even though it didn't start out life as lossless.
    Last edited by veeeight; 13th April 2014 at 18:08.
    rozel likes this.

S3 8V 3DR DSG ACC ABS ADS AMI ASR ASS DAB DBW DIS DRL EBA EBD EDL EGR EPB EPS ESP GPS LED MFSW MMI PDC PSF RAC SDXC TFSI CO2 EEC OTR WTF OMG

Neutral

Status
    Brilliant information - much appreciated.

Ok so what about the Android camp?

What are the possibilities please?

Referring to the OP's post - I would suggest from my listening today since last posting, that playing back a CD will produce the best quality.

My MMI is the standard - my car has no ASS or B&O , so I guess no flac playback via SD card, but what about via cable?

Quote Originally Posted by Daveotto View Post
    The CD/SD/multimedia unit in the glove box is described in ETKA as the Central computer and looking at the Current Flow Diagrams it seems that it does more than just play the CD/SDs. It seems like it may control the whole are the car's data bus as well as most of the functions of the MMI system and screen. It costs over £3000 so I think you need to make sure you know exactly what it does before ripping it out.

There is a different unit for each audio system used in the A3.
    Last edited by h5djr; 13th April 2014 at 19:34.
    Daveotto likes this.
    Dave R (h5djr)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A3 8V 2.0 TDI-184 Sportback Sport s-tronic quattro - Silver + lots of options - my 9th A3

3rd Gear

Status
    I just took 5 CDs out of my old scirocco before handover and they were the same ones I put in nearly 5 years ago...! I've actually given all the rest away to charity (after downloading the good ones) so these 5 represent my entire CD collection now lol
    S3 Saloon S-Tronic. Panther Black. Tech Pack, Super-sports seats, LED Lights, Comfort pack with Adaptive Cruise and parking plus, Folding mirrors, Bang and Olufsen Sound System, Interior Light Pack, Hill Hold Assist, Privacy glass, Tyre sensor, Boot Mat (Countdown Thread)

Previously 2.0TSi VW Scirocco

Quote Originally Posted by Joetidman View Post
    I just took 5 CDs out of my old scirocco before handover and they were the same ones I put in nearly 5 years ago...! I've actually given all the rest away to charity (after downloading the good ones) so these 5 represent my entire CD collection now lol
    I still have 40-50 CDs which are used with my hi-fi system in the house. I used to have six in the multi-changer in my previous A3 but I've now transferred them all to an SD card in case I ever want to listen to them in the new A3.
    Dave R (h5djr)

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by h5djr View Post
    The CD/SD/multimedia unit in the glove box is described in ETKA as the Central computer and looking at the Current Flow Diagrams it seems that it does more than just play the CD/SDs. It seems like it may control the whole are the car's data bus as well as most of the functions of the MMI system and screen. It costs over £3000 so I think you need to make sure you know exactly what it does before ripping it out.

There is a different unit for each audio system used in the A3.
    hmmmm......will have to think more carefully about where I store old sandwiches, half eaten boiled sweets and used chewing gum from now on then.
    Belfin and Joetidman like this.
    A3 Sportback 2.0TDI S-line, - Daytona Grey, comfort pack, interior light pack , aluminium roof rails, Audi speakers, folding door mirrors, hill hold, sport suspension, no smoking pack.

6th Gear

Status
    Yup, the bit in the glovebox is the main MMI computer. The control inputs go to it and it drives the screen. Does all the various functions of the MMI - bluetooth, radio, internet connectivity etc.
    Sport 2.0 TDI 150 Sportback in Scuba Blue, alcantara/leather, advanced key, audi sound system, comfort pack w/ ACC and park assist, deselect sports suspension, auto-dimming & folding door mirrors, electric lumbar support, heated seats, hold assist, non-smoking pack, side & lane assist, reversing camera, storage & luggage pack, tech pack with audi connect, tyre pressure warning, towbar, variable headlight range control, xenon light pack

6th Gear

Status
    And cost £3000 according to another thread...
    Now a proud owner of a A3 1.4 tfsi Saloon S-Line, 6-speed, Daytona Grey, Technology Pack, Comfort Pack, Cruise, Advanced Key, Privacy Glass, Audi Parking System Plus, Interior Lighting, Folding Door Mirrors, Light & Rain Sensor. Hold Assist.

1st Gear

Status
    Haha so I suppose I'm old school...I was meaning a cd holder/wallet to keep my CDs in the car...ideally a genuine audi one?