• 1 Post By jimladallen

Thread: key fob range

3rd Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Visit Andy1608's Youtube Channel

key fob range

Hey everyone,
    Has anyone else got a crazy long key fob range?
    Yesterday me and the other half were out and had to stop somewhere as I needed the loo. Found a M&S, she went for a look round whilst I went to drop the kids off. She rings me half way through and says she waiting outside so I said I'd try the key, opened the car to our surprise. I was right at the back off the store and the car was not exactly next to the front of the store.

2. # ADS
    ADS

1st Gear

Status
    Haha mine is exactly the same, I can blip from my office window to the car which is a good 50ft + away! My previous car (2012 Fiesta) struggled from more than 5ft!
    2014 Audi A3 8v 1.4 COD Sport, 3 door hatchback in Brilliant Red, with Privacy Glass, Comfort Pack, Hold Assist, 17” x 7.5J ‘10-spoke Dynamic’ design alloy wheels.

1st Gear

Status
    I've managed 100m in the cark park of local supermarket. Reckon someone on here can easily beat that one, but it's the only one I've tested so far!

(Anorak off - back to work!) Paul.
    Very proud owner of Audi A3 Sportback S Line 2.0TDI in Daytona Grey.

Comfort Pack, Light & Rain Sensor Pack, Audi Sound System, Heated Front Seats, Panoramic Glass Sunroof, Sat Nav (SD Card Based)

Ordered April 14th, Delivered June 24th.

3rd Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Visit Andy1608's Youtube Channel
    Yeah I've never had a car with such a distance key fob lol saved me from ear ache for taking ages on the toilet so it's a good feature

Neutral

Status
    Range on mine is pretty decent too!

Also - had anyone tried the trick of holding the key fob to your head when beyond the normal range? I've tried it the other day on mine and the car easily picked up the signal from beyond 100M (direct line of sight).
    Belfin likes this.
    Collected: Audi A3 8V Sportback 1.8 TFSI S-Tronic S-Line. Ice Silver, Alu Roof Rails, Audi Side Assist, B&O Audio, Comfort Pack (w/ACC, Parking System Plus & Park Assist), Sports Suspension, Elec Folding Mirrors, Ext Interior Mono-Pur, Fine Nappa Seats, Heated Front Seats, Hill Hold Assist, Interior Light Package, Non-Smoking Package, Pano Glass Sunroof, Privacy Glass, Reversing Camera, Technology Package, Load-Through System, Tyre Pressure Monitor. 4 Year Warranty

5th Gear

Status
    Yes
    It works best if you stick the fob under your chin, mouth open facing the car.
    Belfin likes this.

S3 8V 3DR DSG ACC ABS ADS AMI ASR ASS DAB DBW DIS DRL EBA EBD EDL EGR EPB EPS ESP GPS LED MFSW MMI PDC PSF RAC SDXC TFSI CO2 EEC OTR WTF OMG

6th Gear

Status
    It's a new key with a new battery, that's what you get! Range will decrease over time, until you change the batterye

It does work if you point it at your head, but chins and mouths have nothing to do with it - the water in your head is used to 'amplify' the signal. You can also use it against a bottle of water to do the same trick.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Uqf71muwWc
    wxc likes this.
    Sport 2.0 TDI 150 Sportback in Scuba Blue, alcantara/leather, advanced key, audi sound system, comfort pack w/ ACC and park assist, deselect sports suspension, auto-dimming & folding door mirrors, electric lumbar support, heated seats, hold assist, non-smoking pack, side & lane assist, reversing camera, storage & luggage pack, tech pack with audi connect, tyre pressure warning, towbar, variable headlight range control, xenon light pack

Quote Originally Posted by veeeight View Post
    Yes
    It works best if you stick the fob under your chin, mouth open facing the car.
    Could the remote be used in a similar way to close a ladies mouth when she is chattering too much - Sorry ladies only joking
    Dave R (h5djr)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A3 8V 2.0 TDI-184 Sportback Sport s-tronic quattro - Silver + lots of options - my 9th A3

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by cemerson View Post

It does work if you point it at your head, but chins and mouths have nothing to do with it - the water in your head is used to 'amplify' the signal. You can also use it against a bottle of water to do the same trick.
    Ah, well, we did quite a comprehensive controlled test with a manufacturer (Valeo) with lots of spectrum analysers at various points around the field - open mouth definitely did make a difference, especially at the threshold edge of reception
    Daveotto and Belfin like this.

S3 8V 3DR DSG ACC ABS ADS AMI ASR ASS DAB DBW DIS DRL EBA EBD EDL EGR EPB EPS ESP GPS LED MFSW MMI PDC PSF RAC SDXC TFSI CO2 EEC OTR WTF OMG

181 BHP

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by cemerson View Post
    It's a new key with a new battery, that's what you get! Range will decrease over time, until you change the batterye

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Uqf71muwWc
    Another very interesting find...
    Proud Owner - A3 Sportback 2 lt Quattro - S Line - Daytona Grey

5th Gear

Status
    Just managed to unlock mine from my back garden, so ca. 20m through two external walls and 2 internal walls.

Will try to beat the Belfin record next week, by trying to unlock mine from my office which is around 120m to where I normally park my car. This might actually be useful in the few hot days in summer as I could do the long key press to open the windows a couple of minutes before I leave the office.
    Belfin likes this.
    A3 Sportback 2.0TDI S-line, - Daytona Grey, comfort pack, interior light pack , aluminium roof rails, Audi speakers, folding door mirrors, hill hold, sport suspension, no smoking pack.

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Belfin View Post
    I've managed 100m in the cark park of local supermarket. Reckon someone on here can easily beat that one, but it's the only one I've tested so far!

Interesting choice of parking spot, obviously selected to try and avoid the supermarket trolley dings
    Belfin likes this.
    A3 Sportback 2.0TDI S-line, - Daytona Grey, comfort pack, interior light pack , aluminium roof rails, Audi speakers, folding door mirrors, hill hold, sport suspension, no smoking pack.

Neutral

Status

My Social Networking

Add jimladallen on Facebook
    just be careful nobody nips in the car whilst its open***********
    Belfin likes this.