key fob range

Andy1608

Reaction score
Hey everyone,
Has anyone else got a crazy long key fob range?
Yesterday me and the other half were out and had to stop somewhere as I needed the loo. Found a M&S, she went for a look round whilst I went to drop the kids off. She rings me half way through and says she waiting outside so I said I'd try the key, opened the car to our surprise. I was right at the back off the store and the car was not exactly next to the front of the store.

Haha mine is exactly the same, I can blip from my office window to the car which is a good 50ft + away! My previous car (2012 Fiesta) struggled from more than 5ft!

I've managed 100m in the cark park of local supermarket. Reckon someone on here can easily beat that one, but it's the only one I've tested so far!

(Anorak off - back to work!) Paul.

Reactions: JohnM100, Daveotto, Andy1608 and 1 other person
Yeah I've never had a car with such a distance key fob lol saved me from ear ache for taking ages on the toilet so it's a good feature

Reactions: Belfin
Range on mine is pretty decent too!

Also - had anyone tried the trick of holding the key fob to your head when beyond the normal range? I've tried it the other day on mine and the car easily picked up the signal from beyond 100M (direct line of sight).

Yes
It works best if you stick the fob under your chin, mouth open facing the car.

It's a new key with a new battery, that's what you get! Range will decrease over time, until you change the batterye

It does work if you point it at your head, but chins and mouths have nothing to do with it - the water in your head is used to 'amplify' the signal. You can also use it against a bottle of water to do the same trick.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Uqf71muwWc

Reactions: wxc
Yes
It works best if you stick the fob under your chin, mouth open facing the car.

Could the remote be used in a similar way to close a ladies mouth when she is chattering too much - Sorry ladies only joking:)

It does work if you point it at your head, but chins and mouths have nothing to do with it - the water in your head is used to 'amplify' the signal. You can also use it against a bottle of water to do the same trick.
Ah, well, we did quite a comprehensive controlled test with a manufacturer (Valeo) with lots of spectrum analysers at various points around the field - open mouth definitely did make a difference, especially at the threshold edge of reception :)

Reactions: Daveotto and Belfin
It's a new key with a new battery, that's what you get! Range will decrease over time, until you change the batterye

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Uqf71muwWc

Another very interesting find...

Just managed to unlock mine from my back garden, so ca. 20m through two external walls and 2 internal walls.

Will try to beat the Belfin record next week, by trying to unlock mine from my office which is around 120m to where I normally park my car. This might actually be useful in the few hot days in summer as I could do the long key press to open the windows a couple of minutes before I leave the office.

I've managed 100m in the cark park of local supermarket. Reckon someone on here can easily beat that one, but it's the only one I've tested so far!

Interesting choice of parking spot, obviously selected to try and avoid the supermarket trolley dings