Badger5Volks Autos
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: 1.8TFSI and 2.0TFSI S3 : Metallic Rustle/Rattle between 1500-3000 rpm

Reverse Gear

Status

Exclamation 1.8TFSI and 2.0TFSI S3 : Metallic Rustle/Rattle between 1500-3000 rpm

There have been numerous posts in various forums and threads from people experiencing this problem. Let's try and collate all the information we have so far.

Vehicles affected: A3 1.8TFSI and 2.0TFSI S3 engines on the 8V chassis. (and potentially Seat Leon 1.8)
    Sound: Rustle/Rattle sound heard at low rpms, between 1500-3000. The noise has been reported to be more prevalent during colder temperatures.
    Example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vK7uVtBok48 (you'll hear the sound around the 9second mark)

The 1.2, and 1.4 A3 and Golf 7 engines have had similar 'rattle' problems which this issue sometimes gets confused with, but that could be rectified with an attached clip part. Unfortunately the above problem cannot be fixed with the clip because the turbo's are completely different on these engines.

There is a long German thread detailing the problem too, Google Translate should give you the basic information:
    1.8TFSI und 2.0TFSI S3 - Sammelthread: Rasseln im Bereich Beifahrer von der Abgasanlage : Audi A3 8V, 8VA & 8VS

Please post if you're experiencing this problem too.

Engine:
    Current vehicle age:
    Details on how you hear the noise:
    Any information/testing/work you have received from your dealers/Audi:
    Last edited by Dakar; 1st April 2014 at 20:39.

2. # ADS
    ADS

Reverse Gear

Status
    Engine:
    1.8 TFSI Stronic

Current vehicle age:
    8 months

Details on how you hear the noise:
    Since I purchased the car, I can hear it every time I drive. Sometimes quieter sometimes very loud and audible over the radio and outside the car.

Any information/testing/work you have received from your dealers/Audi:
    I've had numerous tests done, from exhaust to wastegate to turbo. Sound recording equipment installed by Audi and the noise measured. Turbo was replaced last week in an effort to resolve the problem, but made no difference. Audi HQ told me several cars were experiencing it and hoped replacing my turbo would be the solution, which they could roll-out to the others..

Currently they're back to the drawing board trying to figure it out, the engineers at Audi HQ are apparently investigating but no news or updates. I don't think enough people are reporting this to Audi to give it priority.
    Last edited by Dakar; 1st April 2014 at 15:06.

1st Gear

Status
    I have the 1.8 TFSI (auto) and have this problem. Currently waiting to hear back from my dealer.

I would describe it as a metallic sound. You can hear it slightly when in the car, but if someone else drives the car off my driveway it sounds worse. Now its summer in the UK, I can hear it more with the window open.
    Audi A3 Sportback S line 1.8 TFSI S tronic - Scuba Blue
    Technology package - High with Audi Connect/Interior lighting package/Driver assistance package/Light and rain sensor package/Adaptive Xenon Plus headlights with variable range control/Advanced key/Aluminum roof rails/Audi pre sense/Auto-dimming rear-view mirror/Bang & Olufsen/Door mirrors-dimming, electrically adjustable,folding and heated/Heated seats/Audi side assist/Audi active lane assist/Rear side airbags/Tyre pressure loss indicator

Neutral

Status
    A big, ugly and polluted south-Europe city
    Same problem here.

2.0TFSI S3
    1200 km

Reverse Gear

Status
    This is interesting. Joined today as always liked the new A3, albeit I have a new Leon 1.8 which I'm fairly certain has an identical engine.

I'm guessing the sound in experiencing is the same, tends to be around 2k rpm and is more prominent when the engine is cold. I'd probably describe as a kind of rustling leaves type noise?
    Using Tapatalk

2nd Gear

Status
    Yep I have this too.

1.8T S-Tronic ~5000 miles.

It's a hollow metallic tinkling rattle noise somewhere between the sound of a twig in a bicycle spoke and a small stone in a (metallic) hubcap. Reminded me of the noise a jet engine makes when boarding a plane and the turbine fans are free spinning very slowly.

Most noticeable when cold and especially 1750-3000 rpm on gentle acceleration.

Audi are looking into it.

Dakar - there are quite a few threads on this already and I know your intent is to consolidate. Suggest also change the title as its not a scraping noise (at least not in my case or in the video).

John.
    Enjoying my 8V

Reverse Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by scrich7 View Post
    rustling leaves type noise?
    Yup, good description

Reverse Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyM100 View Post
    Dakar - there are quite a few threads on this already and I know your intent is to consolidate. Suggest also change the title as its not a scraping noise (at least not in my case or in the video).
    Sure, but what does the noise sound like then. It's not a 'rattle' in my opinion either. Everyone describes it a little differently

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by scrich7 View Post
    rustling leaves type noise
    Yes! This is a perfect description of the noise.

Someone noticed if it tends to get worse? Are we sure it does not affect or degrade other components?

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by danilotto View Post
    Someone noticed if it tends to get worse? Are we sure it does not affect or degrade other components?
    Mine has got louder over time yes.

As for effect on components? I guess no-one will know until the root cause is identified.
    danilotto likes this.
    Enjoying my 8V

Neutral

Status
    Someone noticed if the noise occurrence affects, at a certain point, the performance of the car? (i.e. loss of thrust)

Reverse Gear

Status
    Someone noticed if the noise occurrence affects, at a certain point, the performance of the car? (i.e. loss of thrust)
    I think you definitely notice the noise more, whether it gets worse over time is hard to say.

Audi have assured me several times, and in writing, that this problem is not causing any damage. But I take that sceptically seeing as they can't even deduce what's causing it..

I haven't felt any loss in performance.

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Dakar View Post
    I think you definitely notice the noise more, whether it gets worse over time is hard to say.

Audi have assured me several times, and in writing, that this problem is not causing any damage. But I take that sceptically seeing as they can't even deduce what's causing it..

I haven't felt any loss in performance.
    Obviously Audi cannot admit that it causes a damage. Event if it could be. There would be a crowd of panicked owners in front of their dealers.

As an electronic designer I cannot understand how they can say they are unable to locate the root cause of a product they built from scratch and know in the whole assembly process. I know my products and I always can troubleshoot them, also if the fault is from a supplied component due to the fact that the interaction with other parts must be fully understood before releasing the product to the market. It is even more true if you think that plenty of super-brain german engineers are supposed to design the car.

In the end

1) If it does not cause damage to other parts of the car, compromising its reliability during time
    2) If it does not alter the performance of the car
    3) If it does not get worse

then I think I can live together with it. With such complex mechanical devices (ok not a jet engine nor a space shuttle rocketdyne engine) it is very hard to obtain stable behavior in the lifespan of the products.

My bmw had a squeaky rear suspension at 8000 km and no-one in BMW has been able to fix it.

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by andywil13 View Post
    I have the 1.8 TFSI (auto) and have this problem. Currently waiting to hear back from my dealer.

I would describe it as a metallic sound. You can hear it slightly when in the car, but if someone else drives the car off my driveway it sounds worse. Now its summer in the UK, I can hear it more with the window open.

yup summer is definitely here . foggy and cold. good old British summer!

1st Gear

Status
    My Audi dealer just called me. When i took this into them the other week, they said the noise was a "characteristic of the car" They have now said that Audi are aware of the issue, but no fix as of yet.

At least they are admitting to it now. Apparently Audi centers are being told not to replace any parts for this problem at the moment, so sounds like they are trying to get a proper fix. They will show me the bulletin when I take the car in next week for a firmware update to fix something else (sigh)

will see if I can get a photo of the bulletin and post it up
    Technology package - High with Audi Connect/Interior lighting package/Driver assistance package/Light and rain sensor package/Adaptive Xenon Plus headlights with variable range control/Advanced key/Aluminum roof rails/Audi pre sense/Auto-dimming rear-view mirror/Bang & Olufsen/Door mirrors-dimming, electrically adjustable,folding and heated/Heated seats/Audi side assist/Audi active lane assist/Rear side airbags/Tyre pressure loss indicator

Reverse Gear

Status
    My Audi dealer just called me. When i took this into them the other week, they said the noise was a "characteristic of the car" They have now said that Audi are aware of the issue, but no fix as of yet.

At least they are admitting to it now. Apparently Audi centers are being told not to replace any parts for this problem at the moment, so sounds like they are trying to get a proper fix. They will show me the bulletin when I take the car in next week for a firmware update to fix something else (sigh)

will see if I can get a photo of the bulletin and post it up
    Nice, good to hear Audi is being more transparent about the problem.

Reverse Gear

Status
    They will show me the bulletin when I take the car in next week for a firmware update
    Ever get that bulletin?

Here's the german one google translated:

Technical Product

Operation No.:. 2036787/1

Schwirr, or pattering sound of the wastegate rod on turbocharger - 1.8 and 2.0 liter engine EA888Gen3

Release date: 03/12/2014

Customer statement / workshop determination

Prassel-/Rassel-/Schwirrrgeräusch from the area of ​​the engine compartment / exhaust system between 1600 ... 2200 r / min.

Technical Background

Because of exhaust gas pulsations get wastegate valve and the wastegate rod on the turbocharger to vibrate. Due to these oscillations, the above mentioned noises caused.

The function of the boost pressure control is not affected.

Series production

---

Measure

A Component exchange does not help.

The repair is reset.

A repair attempt can therefore not be settled through warranty.

Once a solution is available, it will be published on TPI.

Customer information

Because of exhaust gas pulsations get wastegate valve and the wastegate rod on the turbocharger to vibrate. Due to these oscillations, the above mentioned noises caused.

The function of the boost pressure control is not affected.

Neutral

Status
    So they now discovered the root cause of the noise: the wastegate rod! Right?

It also looks like that it does not cause damage to other components of the engine or exhaust system.

The solution looks staightforward to my eyes: something like a weight to change the resonating frequency of the rod.

3rd Gear

Status
    I imagine they'd need to change the component for something with the same dimensions etc, but with a different material makeup to adjust the resonating frequency. However, given the risk of doing that with an untested component (not to mention cost), I doubt they will go down that route...

Might be a ECU adjustment to adjust turbo parameters to avoid it, but they would have knock-on effects as well, I suspect hence they don't have an answer right now...
    S3 Saloon S-Tronic. Panther Black. Tech Pack, Super-sports seats, LED Lights, Comfort pack with Adaptive Cruise and parking plus, Folding mirrors, Bang and Olufsen Sound System, Interior Light Pack, Hill Hold Assist, Privacy glass, Tyre sensor, Boot Mat (Countdown Thread)

Previously 2.0TSi VW Scirocco

5th Gear

Status
    Hmm.

It's an electrically operated wastegate on this particular engine.

S3 8V 3DR DSG ACC ABS ADS AMI ASR ASS DAB DBW DIS DRL EBA EBD EDL EGR EPB EPS ESP GPS LED MFSW MMI PDC PSF RAC SDXC TFSI CO2 EEC OTR WTF OMG

Reverse Gear

Status
    I have the same problem from the moment I took my Leon MK3 1.8 DSG from the dealership, about 6 months ago.
    I am not around ~5000 KM and I am almost sure it sounds worse.

I would describe the noise as a metal broom being dragged on the asphalt. 1500-2500 RPM.

I wanted to locate a recorder under the car to record the sound, but didn't have the chance yet. Does anyone have a decent recording of the noise?

Reverse Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by labmousee View Post
    I would describe the noise as a metal broom being dragged on the asphalt.
    Heh another good description. Haven't been able to get a good recording or find one from someone else.

Please give try see if you can, I'm also thinking of attaching my gopro under the car - might work.

Bazinga

Status
    I had something similar on a MK6 Golf GTi a couple of years back, sort of rasping rattle between 1600-2500 revs, well known issue (same engine family E888 i believe)
    It went into VW Oldham and they were aware of the issue, apparently the fix for those cars was a 'Clip' put on the wastegate rod to stop the vibration at certain revs.
    2012 Misano Red RS3 / Bucket seats Heated front & Rear / Aluminium Styling Pack / Bose / RNS-E / Bluetooth / Mobile phone prep low / AMI / Reversing Sensors / LED number plate lights / Led interior light pack / VCDS / Cruise Control / Exclusive Inlays / Auto Lights & Wipers / 8.5J fronts / extended leather / Michelin Pilot super sport tyres / and a few other things

1st Gear

Status
    I wonder if a few of us ranting on the Audi twitter page will work? (assuming they have one) I've heard companies are quick to respond to public complaints

Reverse Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Veneeringman View Post
    I had something similar on a MK6 Golf GTi a couple of years back, sort of rasping rattle between 1600-2500 revs, well known issue (same engine family E888 i believe)
    It went into VW Oldham and they were aware of the issue, apparently the fix for those cars was a 'Clip' put on the wastegate rod to stop the vibration at certain revs.
    I think what you had was this noise which was caused by the mesh on the downpipe, no?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__aLctQuLdk

Bazinga

Status
    I think what you had was this noise which was caused by the mesh on the downpipe, no?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__aLctQuLdk
    it was to do with the wastegate actuator rod and as i said above the fix was to put a special clip on it, spoke to one of the technicians at VW when i collected the car, there is a video on you tube that shows someone putting the clip on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAkkIEMm3UQ
    2012 Misano Red RS3 / Bucket seats Heated front & Rear / Aluminium Styling Pack / Bose / RNS-E / Bluetooth / Mobile phone prep low / AMI / Reversing Sensors / LED number plate lights / Led interior light pack / VCDS / Cruise Control / Exclusive Inlays / Auto Lights & Wipers / 8.5J fronts / extended leather / Michelin Pilot super sport tyres / and a few other things

Neutral

Status
    I cannot understand: Audi just told that there is no fix at the moment. So how the video is related to our problem?

2nd Gear

Status
    I would describe the noise as a metal broom being dragged on the asphalt. 1500-2500 RPM.
    Great description!

John.
    Enjoying my 8V

Reverse Gear

Status
    I cannot understand: Audi just told that there is no fix at the moment. So how the video is related to our problem?
    It doesn't - thats a seperate issue for the Golfs that a clip can fix. That clip does not work on the 1.8 and S3's because their engines are designed completely differently - a new solution needs to be designed by Audi.

They are officially working on it now from the bulletin they sent out, we just have to be patient..
    danilotto likes this.

Bazinga

Status
    It's not i was just showing Labmousee that it wasn't the mesh on the downpipe.
    danilotto likes this.

Reverse Gear

Status
    The sound that I have sometimes resembles to the sound that the mesh makes.

1st Gear

Status
    A repair attempt can therefore not be settled through warranty.
    What does that mean?

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by STERLING VOID View Post
    What does that mean?
    I think it means no repair attempt at this time, until a solution is found.

John.
    Enjoying my 8V

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyM100 View Post
    I think it means no repair attempt at this time, until a solution is found.

John.
    So what if my car is out of the one year warranty, would they still apply the fix?

Reverse Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by STERLING VOID View Post
    So what if my car is out of the one year warranty, would they still apply the fix?
    Yes they definitely will, they just mean claiming warranty to get your turbo replaced is not allowed as this won't fix the problem anyway.
    STERLING VOID likes this.

3rd Gear

Status
    I can hear a highpitched metallic 'tinkling' sound under gentle acceleration at low-ish revs, is that what you are all referring too?
    S3 Saloon S-Tronic. Panther Black. Tech Pack, Super-sports seats, LED Lights, Comfort pack with Adaptive Cruise and parking plus, Folding mirrors, Bang and Olufsen Sound System, Interior Light Pack, Hill Hold Assist, Privacy glass, Tyre sensor, Boot Mat (Countdown Thread)

Previously 2.0TSi VW Scirocco

Reverse Gear

Status
    Ya ya

Is loving his new 8V S3!

Status
    I've got this issue too.
    S3 8V Sportback Stronic, Estoril Blue Crystal Effect, Black Interior, Adaptive Cruise with Stop & Go & Pre Sense, Super Sports Seats with Electric Lumber, LED Headlights, Interior Lighting Pack, Hill Hold Assist, Privacy Glass, Comfort Package, Technology Package with Audi Connect, Advance Key, Folding Door Mirrors, Extended Mono.Pur Interior, Front and Rear Parking Sensors, Audi Sound System.

Build Thread Here!

5th Gear

Status
    I had the wastegate rattle on my previous MK6 GTI but as mentioned, it's a different fix. I haven't noticed it on the S3 but I have noticed it seems to make a 'very slight rattling' noise even at idle-3000rpm, I dunno if it's this or not but I'll just wait for a fix and ask them to do it anyway

A3 Fan

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Joetidman View Post
    I can hear a highpitched metallic 'tinkling' sound under gentle acceleration at low-ish revs, is that what you are all referring too?
    That's what I hear Joe!!
    Joetidman likes this.
    Some people walk in the rain others just get wet

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast