Sky InsuranceVolks Autos
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: 1.8TFSI and 2.0TFSI S3 : Metallic Rustle/Rattle between 1500-3000 rpm

3rd Gear

Status
    At least it's not just one machine then, hopefully leading to a fix soon...
    S3 Saloon S-Tronic. Panther Black. Tech Pack, Super-sports seats, LED Lights, Comfort pack with Adaptive Cruise and parking plus, Folding mirrors, Bang and Olufsen Sound System, Interior Light Pack, Hill Hold Assist, Privacy glass, Tyre sensor, Boot Mat (Countdown Thread)

Previously 2.0TSi VW Scirocco

2. # ADS
    ADS

Neutral

Status
    A big, ugly and polluted south-Europe city
    Yes, it is a very common issue. On german forums there are hundreds-replies threads.

My great question is: how could it happens in a CAD era. We almost design supersonic airplanes without testing it in wind gallery...

2nd Gear

Status
    Me too, I thought it may be the new exhaust with it been thicker but guess not. Its mainly noticeable when setting off slowly.
    2013 Glacier White S3 Sportback S-Tronic

Neutral

Status
    I've got the same issue, apparently audi are aware. Got an update call yesterday saying there's no update lol

2nd Gear

Status
    Think I have it too, but it's so quiet it's hard to tell.
    S3 (8V) S-Tronic Estoril Blue; A3 2.0TFSI S-Line quattro, Dolphin Grey [sold]

Neutral

Status
    I am getting used to it and I often do not notice it anymore. Also because in city traffic it is hard to have strong accelerations that triggers it. (At least with my old-man driving style)

Reverse Gear

Status
    This is an issue??

I like this sound

regards

Reverse Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by danilotto View Post
    I am getting used to it and I often do not notice it anymore. Also because in city traffic it is hard to have strong accelerations that triggers it. (At least with my old-man driving style)
    You are probably talking about a different noise, since the noise that everyone are talking about happens when you gently accelerate and keep the revs below 2500.

5th Gear

Status
    Master Tech at the dealer said it was wastegate actuator noise.
    danilotto likes this.

S3 8V 3DR DSG ACC ABS ADS AMI ASR ASS DAB DBW DIS DRL EBA EBD EDL EGR EPB EPS ESP GPS LED MFSW MMI PDC PSF RAC SDXC TFSI CO2 EEC OTR WTF OMG

Reverse Gear

Status
    Hello from the SeatCupra.net forums! I too am suffering from this problem in my Seat Leon Mk3 FR 1.8 TSI. The vehicle is brand new with less than 500 miles on the clock. My symptoms are very similar to how others have described it in this thread. A rustling leaves sound at low rpm under light acceleration. I have not reported this to my dealer yet but will be doing shortly.

Reverse Gear

Status
    Hi!
    I have the same rattling noise on my audi A3 TFSI 180 S-Tronic 7... Audi France is still investigating for a fix (since june 2013)... The car has 22000 km (around 15000 miles)...

Reverse Gear

Status
    Yeah, I haven't heard a peep from Audi since they said a fix was being investigated..

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Dakar View Post
    Yeah, I haven't heard a peep from Audi since they said a fix was being investigated..
    I think we spoke on the Audi club SA forum about this as well. Who can I contact in the RSA about this? can we refer them to the bulletin in the earlier posts in this forum?

Reverse Gear

Status
    I hope this isn't the infamous GTI wastegate rattle all over again, which took MONTHS to fix.

Reverse Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by STERLING VOID View Post
    I think we spoke on the Audi club SA forum about this as well. Who can I contact in the RSA about this? can we refer them to the bulletin in the earlier posts in this forum?
    It's all up to waiting on Ingolstadt for that fix, not much Audi SA can do..
    STERLING VOID likes this.

Neutral

Status
    Yeah I've got this on my S3 as well. Haven't gone to Audi to report it yet, I won't unless anyone thinks that more reporting will help. If anyone hears that they're starting to fix them then please post it up

5th Gear

Status
    Every visit to a dealer with a new model, the dealer has to submit a customer concerns report.

The more reports with the same issue (actuator rod rattle) the better, as this will put pressure on Audi AG for a resolution.

S3 8V 3DR DSG ACC ABS ADS AMI ASR ASS DAB DBW DIS DRL EBA EBD EDL EGR EPB EPS ESP GPS LED MFSW MMI PDC PSF RAC SDXC TFSI CO2 EEC OTR WTF OMG

Neutral

Status
    Good point. I'll call them tomorrow

Reverse Gear

Status
    Another one reporting on Audi S3 MY14, Doesn't sound good when accelerating...that metallic sound isnt plesant, will be notifying Audi Australia tomorrow.....

Is loving his new 8V S3!

Status
    Mines getting worse im sure
    S3 8V Sportback Stronic, Estoril Blue Crystal Effect, Black Interior, Adaptive Cruise with Stop & Go & Pre Sense, Super Sports Seats with Electric Lumber, LED Headlights, Interior Lighting Pack, Hill Hold Assist, Privacy Glass, Comfort Package, Technology Package with Audi Connect, Advance Key, Folding Door Mirrors, Extended Mono.Pur Interior, Front and Rear Parking Sensors, Audi Sound System.

Build Thread Here!

2nd Gear

Status
    Mine steadily got worse up to about 5000 miles and then levelled off. No sign of it getting quieter though (unless engine fully warm).

John.
    Enjoying my 8V

Reverse Gear

Status
    So do we think its the waste gate problem ??

Reverse Gear

Status
    Waste gate or turbo, one of the two I would guess. I spoke to Audi HQ this morning after requesting an update from germany, and apparently the fix is still being investigated.. It does not have high priority because it causes no actual damage.

I guess they don't factor in the damage to our sanity

Neutral

Status
    They are talking in motor-talk.de forum about there might be a new turbo for the 2015 models.
    Seems that there might be something wrong with the "old" model. If I understood correctly that there has been turbo failures on the Golf R and on the Cupra. But I'm not that sure if I'm understanding the whole tread correctly. (German is not my language)
    And also this could be some other issues with the turbo than this tread.
    Audi S3 - Ab Modelljahr 2015 neuer Turbo : Audi A3 8V, 8VA & 8VS

Reverse Gear

Status
    I am in Canada i think i might be experiencing this on my A3 2.0T Quattro.

Reverse Gear

Status
    Same problem with my A3 1.4 tfsi, according to the local dealer the problem can be fixed with something like a plastic ring, placed in the problem area of the turbo. So I am waiting for the ring to be delivered soon, as they assured me.

2nd Gear

Status

1.8TFSI and 2.0TFSI S3 : Metallic Rustle/Rattle between 1500-3000 rpm

Hello GGP & welcome to the forum.

The issue with the 1.4 is different to this one and in true ASN style there is a mega thread on that one here:

New A3 S-Line Turbo Charger Linkage Fault at startup

John.
    Last edited by JohnnyM100; 6th June 2014 at 16:59. Reason: typo
    Enjoying my 8V

Reverse Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyM100 View Post
    Hello GGP & welcome to the forum.

The issue with the 1.4 is different to this one and in true ASN style there is a mega thread on that one here:

New A3 S-Line Turbo Charger Linkage Fault at startup

John.
    Hi, 10x for the link

Neutral

Status
    Just for you to know, I checked two dealers here in Italy and neither is informed about such a problem on 1.8 and 2.0 TFSI. They are only aware about the 1.4 TFSI.

1st Gear

Status
    I was at an Audi dealer the other day and asked for an update. They weren't aware of the issue themselves but they were able to track down the report that shows that Audi as a company are aware of the issue. Last update on the report was March or something like that. I wasn't allowed to get a copy but I did read over it.

Its June now, so that's a long time without an update really.
    Audi A3 Sportback S line 1.8 TFSI S tronic - Scuba Blue
    Technology package - High with Audi Connect/Interior lighting package/Driver assistance package/Light and rain sensor package/Adaptive Xenon Plus headlights with variable range control/Advanced key/Aluminum roof rails/Audi pre sense/Auto-dimming rear-view mirror/Bang & Olufsen/Door mirrors-dimming, electrically adjustable,folding and heated/Heated seats/Audi side assist/Audi active lane assist/Rear side airbags/Tyre pressure loss indicator

Reverse Gear

Status
    What did the latest update say?

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by labmousee View Post
    What did the latest update say?
    same as what has been posted previously.... do not replace turbo as this does not resolve the problem and will not be paid out under warranty claims.

I just came off the phone to Audi UK customer services. not very helpful if I am honest, just refereed me back to the Audi Center. So I have emailed the Audi Center to say whats going on, and what is the correct point of escalation as March is unacceptable as a last update. - will post when i get a reply.

maybe we all need to turn up at a dealer on mass one Saturday with all our 1.8 and 2.0 TFSI engines idling between 1500-3000 rpm :P
    Technology package - High with Audi Connect/Interior lighting package/Driver assistance package/Light and rain sensor package/Adaptive Xenon Plus headlights with variable range control/Advanced key/Aluminum roof rails/Audi pre sense/Auto-dimming rear-view mirror/Bang & Olufsen/Door mirrors-dimming, electrically adjustable,folding and heated/Heated seats/Audi side assist/Audi active lane assist/Rear side airbags/Tyre pressure loss indicator

2nd Gear

Status
    Spoke to my dealer at the end of last week. There is no update at this time. The bulletin is still at /1 so no new information since the original "we are aware of it, don't change parts tying to fix it" bulletin from March.

This thread is quite long now, so for anyone looking for the bulletin number; have a look back in this thread to around posts 10-20 as it's in one of those.

John.
    Enjoying my 8V

Reverse Gear

Status

Cool

Got to be kidding me, such a 'issue' and no one in Germany can figure out whats going on ?

Must say the metallic sound is very annoying, just turn up the B&O speakers

5th Gear

Status
    ^ Then you get metallic crackling.

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by andywil13 View Post
    same as what has been posted previously.... do not replace turbo as this does not resolve the problem and will not be paid out under warranty claims.

I just came off the phone to Audi UK customer services. not very helpful if I am honest, just refereed me back to the Audi Center. So I have emailed the Audi Center to say whats going on, and what is the correct point of escalation as March is unacceptable as a last update. - will post when i get a reply.

maybe we all need to turn up at a dealer on mass one Saturday with all our 1.8 and 2.0 TFSI engines idling between 1500-3000 rpm :P
    Here is the reply from the Audi Center

Our master technician has contacted Audi and that is the latest update. Audi UK are still awaiting on Germany for a permanent fix. Apparently in instances such as this, it’s not uncommon for it to take several months before the fix is released to the dealer network.

All I can suggest is you keep in contact with us / me and when a fix is released we can get you booked in. There is no further way to escalate the case as it is not a safely related concern.

Kind regards

Reverse Gear

Status
    Do you guys have any more videos of the sound from inside the cabin with windows closed?

Reverse Gear

Status
    ok, i recorded a video, let's see if you can spot it. 2015 Audi A3 2.0T Quattro - Metallic Noise? - YouTube

starts at 00:14 ends at about 00:21

Turn your volume up. At the time of the recording phone is sitting on the dashboard, in front of me, windows are closed.

5th Gear

Status
    ^ Yep I can hear the metallic tinkling noise, and both occasions that you accelerate away.

Your car also makes the Logan's Run type "whirr" (from 0' 31") as described here:
    A3 Quattro or S3 - Drivetrain or Transmission Whine on Overrun

Neutral

Status

1.8TFSI and 2.0TFSI S3 : Metallic Rustle/Rattle between 1500-3000 rpm

That's exactly the same as mine

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast