Time Change to BST

m0sbf

Reaction score
Evening everyone. Anyone know whether the 8V A3 MMI automatically updates for a time change or do I have to do anything to set BST?

Thanks!

It doesn't update manually no...

When you think what the system costs I find this astonishing. I've got £100 G-Shock watches that can do it, so why Audi can't put a fix in for this.

When you think what the system costs I find this astonishing. I've got £100 G-Shock watches that can do it, so why Audi can't put a fix in for this.

I understand from the Owner' Manual if the car has GPS this will set the time. If not it will need to be changed manually. It will be the only clock that I would have to re-set manually. All my other clocks and watches are either radio-controlled or work by GPS and reset themselves.

A couple of them are Junghans and they pick-up the radio signal from Germany so I have to put them back one hour for BST but only the once and if I have to change a battery.

Reactions: warren_S5
Even with GPS you still have to adjust for BST manually. The GPS time just ensures the time is accurate.

I really don't understand how a premium brand car manufacturer can't sort this out. My 15 year old Mitsubishi does this, so it isn't rocket science.
Just another little niggle that takes some of the shine off.

I really don't understand how a premium brand car manufacturer can't sort this out. My 15 year old Mitsubishi does this, so it isn't rocket science.
Just another little niggle that takes some of the shine off.

It doesn't help us but I would suspect in Germany it works using a radio-controlled clock. This was how it was done with the 8P but it was never fitted to the UK based cars because Audi thought there might be some problem with it always receiving the signal from the German thransmitter. It's a pity they didn't fit one tuned to the UK transmitter

Thanks for clarifying. Another job for the morning then! Very surprised that it doesn't automatically adjust, given all the hi tech equipment in the cabin and the otherwise well thought out design.

Yes, I assume GPS signal are GMT.

I'm afraid the Great Britain is no longer the centre of the world, and time is no longer referenced to GMT, a previous astronomical measure :p

On Jan 1 1958 International Atomic Time (TAI) was used to sync (and average) all the Atomic Clocks around the world, but this didn't account for the variance in the earths rotation.

So in 1972 UTC was introduced, at this point TAI = UTC.

Since then many leap seconds have been inserted, so today, there is a 35 second variance between UTC and TAI.

In Jan 1980, GPS Time was set to match UTC, but today there is a 16 second variance between GPS and UTC.

So it's all a little confusing, GPS time merely syncs with TAI, but any clock or instrument really needs to adjust to display UTC, then offset for the local time zone, which is the "correct" time as far as we humans on a rotating earth are concerned.

UTC, TAI, and GPS Time Scale Descriptions and Adjustment Information for PCI-1588, NI-9467, and PXI-6682(H) Interfaces - National Instruments

Reactions: Rob2k68 and Toadoftoadhall
Yeah... But GMT is still closer to any recognised International Standard 0 hour than any other time zone in the World - we are like... seconds out! Time... the last bastion of Imperial Measurements......... :arco:

I'm not complaining about loosing an hour, mainly cause I'm on a night shift so I only have to work 11 hours rather than 12

Reactions: thebluefox, warren_S5 and TJM22
Same here, feel really sorry for the shift that is relieving me..... :tapedshut:

I like BST, as it brings my delivery sooner by guess, yes an Hour!

Reactions: phil1824, h5djr, PilotAudi and 1 other person
Doesn't the RDS radio have a time signal?

Last edited:
No big deal it took all of 5 seconds to change this morning

I'm afraid the Great Britain is no longer the centre of the world, and time is no longer referenced to GMT, a previous astronomical measure :p

On Jan 1 1958 International Atomic Time (TAI) was used to sync (and average) all the Atomic Clocks around the world, but this didn't account for the variance in the earths rotation.

So in 1972 UTC was introduced, at this point TAI = UTC.

Since then many leap seconds have been inserted, so today, there is a 35 second variance between UTC and TAI.

In Jan 1980, GPS Time was set to match UTC, but today there is a 16 second variance between GPS and UTC.

So it's all a little confusing, GPS time merely syncs with TAI, but any clock or instrument really needs to adjust to display UTC, then offset for the local time zone, which is the "correct" time as far as we humans on a rotating earth are concerned.

UTC, TAI, and GPS Time Scale Descriptions and Adjustment Information for PCI-1588, NI-9467, and PXI-6682(H) Interfaces - National Instruments

I noticed the Marine Traffic website quotes all the times in UTC. Was never quite sure what it meant. Now I know. Thanks.

The military always work by "Zulu" time. I assume this is now related to UTC as well.

Evening everyone. Anyone know whether the 8V A3 MMI automatically updates for a time change or do I have to do anything to set BST?

Thanks!

Yes, it does switch to BST automatically, but the menu logic is bizarrely inverted.

Mine was set to GPS as the time source, and Manual Summer time setting to 'Off' - so it should have switched, but didn't. As soon as I switched Manual Summer time setting to 'On', it switched to BST automatically.

Reactions: m0sbf
The military always work by "Zulu" time. I assume this is now related to UTC as well.

Yes, Zulu= UTC (Z=Zero)
Zulu is more a (historically nautical) time-zone descriptor.
France= Zulu+1, or Alpha
Pacific (US) Standard Time = Zulu -8, or Uniform

BUT - Juliet does not exist - it is skipped.

When spoken on the radio, it is "Zero Six Hundred Zulu" or "Zero One Hundred Uniform"

When we get to inserting 255 leap seconds, we will be in trouble, because it is only an 8-bit field in the GPS system, that allows for the offset. So will be be back to the 1999/2000 "Millennium Bug" scenario. But maybe by that time all the current satellites will have fallen out of the sky, so new ones with a 16-bit field may be shot up into space !

edit: Military time zone chart of the World

Last edited:
Yes, it does switch to BST automatically, but the menu logic is bizarrely inverted.

Mine was set to GPS as the time source, and Manual Summer time setting to 'Off' - so it should have switched, but didn't. As soon as I switched Manual Summer time setting to 'On', it switched to BST automatically.

Correct, its not an issue.................

Just been out and done that to mine and it sure enough it updated correctly. Apologies to those I inadvertently gave wrong advice to, but at least that's another bit of forum folklore cleared up!

I had to change mine manually. It's really stupid to have to do that for a modern car, but it doesn't bother me all that much given it's 5 seconds every 6 months!

When we get to inserting 255 leap seconds, we will be in trouble, because it is only an 8-bit field in the GPS system, that allows for the offset. So will be be back to the 1999/2000 "Millennium Bug" scenario. But maybe by that time all the current satellites will have fallen out of the sky, so new ones with a 16-bit field may be shot up into space !

Highly unlikely we'd ever get to 255... leap seconds have been both added and taken away over the years, they all average out really.

when i activated the GPS option and the Summertime setting, it changed the clock itself....hopefully it will do the same in 6 months!

When you activated the MANUAL summertime setting, you manually added an hour on - nothing automatic happened. In another 6 months, I think you'll have to manually de-activate this setting to take an hour off.

If your car has an AUTOMATIC summertime setting, then that would be different...

Reactions: First Ever Audi
Correct, its not an issue.................

Wrong, it is an issue. Changing the 'Manual Summer Time' option to on just tells it to add an hour to the time. Remove the word 'manual' for a better description of what it does... there is no auto option available. Turning the 'Manual Summer Time' option off just means that you have manually selected that summer time is off, nothing more...

Wrong, it is an issue. Changing the 'Manual Summer Time' option to on just tells it to add an hour to the time. Remove the word 'manual' for a better description of what it does... there is no auto option available. Turning the 'Manual Summer Time' option off just means that you have manually selected that summer time is off, nothing more...

You and slipped_disc were right.
I've just tried switching mine back to Manual Summer Time 'Off', and sure enough it subtracts the extra hour again.

It's inexcusable really, since you have to set the time zone, so the software knows (or could be made to know) what the prevailing daylight saving regime is.

I just picked up a 4 year old PDA at work and switched it on - it's not connected to any networks but it instantly asked me if I wanted to update to to BST. It knew all of this based on just the calendar and time zone....

I really don't know why Audi didn't incorporate this extra information into the system, it doesn't even need any external input once configured.

Reactions: cemerson
Don't get me started on this. My manual summertime option has gone AWOL yet again recently, together with TMC traffic info, all voice commands and speech output and the B&O also sounds crap.

Fan-******-tastic. Going in tomorrow and it better be fixed this time or I'm going to demand they replace the entire MMI system.

Oh dear, not again :( It really is very poor that these problems persist.

Don't get me started on this. My manual summertime option has gone AWOL yet again recently, together with TMC traffic info, all voice commands and speech output and the B&O also sounds crap.

Fan-******-tastic. Going in tomorrow and it better be fixed this time or I'm going to demand they replace the entire MMI system.

Mine is in the dealers at the moment having all the same updates applied that you have, and I'm suspicious that I couldn't collect it today as they want to "make sure its all working"....

I've not come across any of those issues yet, it does seem to apply to early models, which makes you think that an MMI refit ought to solve it.

my time menu has the entries and (choices):
Time source: (GPS)
Auto sum.time: (on)

The clock is spot on, have had the car in 11 months and the two summertime changes went fine without any effort on my part.

my time menu has the entries and (choices):
Time source: (GPS)
Auto sum.time: (on)

The clock is spot on, have had the car in 11 months and the two summertime changes went fine without any effort on my part.

It mentions "Auto sum.time:" in the MMI manual, with an asterisk beside it. Is it specific to European cars?

Apparently it went it to "total meltdown" today (their words) so they're keeping it overnight.

They've loaned me an A3 Saloon! Similar to mine - same engine, S-Line in Daytona grey but without Tech pack or B&O.

It's really nice! I love the shape and there's noticably more room in the back plus the boot is cavernous. Unless I end up with an e-tron, my next one will be a saloon for sure.