Bummer! Washed my key.

steeve

Reaction score
So there I was changing the cyan cartridge in my printer, the damn think leaked as I unpacked it (genuine Canon item too) all over my jeans.

Whip off the jeans stick them under the tap and the ink washed out, I wasn't expecting it to. Then fill the sink with hot water and wash liquid and stick jeans in for an hour or so to soak.

Meanwhile I needed to move my car. So where did I put my keys? They were not where I expected them to be, then I realised they were in my jeans pocket.

Dried them off and tried to unlock and lock the car, seemed fine, but I found when I pressed one of the buttons the red led would continue to flash for quite some time. Removed cover and battery, tipped the water out and left them close to a warm radiator to dry.

Once again all seemed OK other than pressing the unlock button which did work but still resulted in much red led flashing. Left them button side up near radiator and thank goodness all is now good.

I really thought I was going to have an unexpected expense as I know the fobs and programming are quite expensive.

I'll put my stupidity down to being age related, but should any of you have the misfortune to drop their keys in the loo or similar all may not be lost...........

Lucky escape, if it hadn't have been such an expensive situation I would have laughed out loud as it's exactly the sort of thing I would do! Hope it stays 'working'!

Disassemble, locate for a wek in airing cupboard,,, works very time for mobiles, keys, iPads, etc...

dismantle the key and use a hairdryer - often works. if the water damage is bad then use a hairdyer for long periods or heat gun to reflow any solder

As lecht suggested You could also place in a food bag of loose dry rice grains and then in an airing cupboard to help draw out any remaining moisture. Did this with my previous phone and it worked wonders. Don't need to with my current phone as it's a Sony and I can take it in the shower with me!

And don't forget, if you ever happen to drop it in the sea or a glass of coke or something, wash it first in clean water (make sure all the ****e is out) and then start drying. Same goes for all electronics. Salt, sugar etc doesn't do them much good!