EM TuningChris Nott
Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By Av4nt
  • 1 Post By S3Alex
  • 1 Post By JohnNW
  • 1 Post By S3Alex
  • 1 Post By Derbz

Thread: So could the new RS3 be a 2.0 litre?

4th Gear

Status

So could the new RS3 be a 2.0 litre?

Audi have produced a TT Sport Quattro concept, with a 420bhp version of the 2.0 litre engine.
    So could the new RS3 be a four cylinder 2.0 litre car?

There also seem to be many changes to the TT four wheel drive system. with the ability to make the car more rear wheel driven.

Steve
    Steeve

2. # ADS
    ADS

4th Gear

Status
    420 from a 2 litre dayum! surely there must be some strain on parts somewhere there lol
    Current - 2006 B7 A4 S Line Saloon 2.0T TFSI Special Edition, Unicorn stage 1 remap, Metallic Dolphin Grey, 18" TTRS Rotors, Ferrari Red front/rear Calipers, 3.5" Powerflow tailpipes, BOSE, Cupra R splitter, Chrome grille slats, S4 Mirror covers, Black/silver leather interior, Debadged, Arm rest delete, LED plate lights, Dectane LED Red/Crystal tail lights, HID 6k, RS 4 pedals, Rev D D/V, APR snub mount, NGK 7s

Gone - 2005 B7 A4 Avant 2.0 TDI

1st Gear

Status
    Audi have already confirmed the RS3 will use the five pot, so no.

1st Gear

Status
    It should really be, considering what can be extracted from a 2.0 (A45 AMG and the example you cited above).
    On order: A3 Sportback 1.4 TFSI 150 (COD) S tronic S line
    Daytona Grey, Technology Package, B&O, Comfort Package, Electrically Folding Mirrors, Interior Lighting Package, Hold Assist, TPMS.

3rd Gear

Status
    Why use a heavy old fashioned 5 cylinder lump if a modern lightweight 4 pot can deliver sufficient power ?

I'm interested in Hondas new type r. Rumours suggest possible 350bhp and an incredibly lightweight forged block...

Honda engineering at its best I hope !

4th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by the_lecht_rocks View Post
    I'm interested in Hondas new type r. Rumours suggest possible 350bhp and an incredibly lightweight forged block...

Only one issue with this... it is ugly as sin
    Joetidman and boy1308 like this.
    Current - 2006 B7 A4 S Line Saloon 2.0T TFSI Special Edition, Unicorn stage 1 remap, Metallic Dolphin Grey, 18" TTRS Rotors, Ferrari Red front/rear Calipers, 3.5" Powerflow tailpipes, BOSE, Cupra R splitter, Chrome grille slats, S4 Mirror covers, Black/silver leather interior, Debadged, Arm rest delete, LED plate lights, Dectane LED Red/Crystal tail lights, HID 6k, RS 4 pedals, Rev D D/V, APR snub mount, NGK 7s

Gone - 2005 B7 A4 Avant 2.0 TDI

181 BHP

Status
    Why use a heavy old fashioned 5 cylinder lump if a modern lightweight 4 pot can deliver sufficient power ?

Quote Originally Posted by Av4nt View Post
    Only one issue with this... it is ugly as sin
    Engine transplantation into A3!!
    Proud Owner - A3 Sportback 2 lt Quattro - S Line - Daytona Grey

3rd Gear

Status

2nd Gear

Status

Autoexpress are saying 276 BHP and 400 Nm target, with 0-60 in around 6s. That would make it somewhat slower than an S3.

Styling wise it's pretty shouty.
    S3 (8V) S-Tronic Estoril Blue; A3 2.0TFSI S-Line quattro, Dolphin Grey [sold]

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Gazwould View Post
    Absolutely awful!

3rd Gear

Status
    it is somewhat garish isn't it......................................!

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigI View Post
    Absolutely awful!

I did a Honda factory tour in Swindon early this week and their was a few pics of this hanging up. The media guy we were with said it was a while off yet - maybe end of the year orders will start.

Honda engineering also looks pretty old really walking around looking at the cars. Seems like they are behind on many levels in terms of car quality, infotainment, paint etc. Not sure if new Type R could tempt me away from the German stuff.
    S3 Sportback S-Tronic - Amalfi White, Comfort Pack, LED headlights, LED interior lights, High-beam assist, hill hold assist, privacy glass, mono-pur, folding mirrors, TPMS, Audi sound system and black Alacantra. Built week 17. Arrived 17/05/14. Wow......just wow

3rd Gear

Status
    Honda are still a drivetrain company. Engines and gearboxes rule and the rest of the experience hangs off the drivetrain.

cheap plastics, great reliability and keen pricing tempt many back and their service and customer satisfaction are undeniable.

3rd Gear

Status
    Honda are still a drivetrain company. Engines and gearboxes rule and the rest of the experience hangs off the drivetrain.

cheap plastics, great reliability and keen pricing tempt many back and their service and customer satisfaction are undeniable.
    Pretty depressing being there the other night after announcing a big redundancy program and closing one of two production lines. They are really struggling to shift product around Europe.

Agree - great engines (must admit didn't know they were up there on gearbox technology) and customer service. I hope they get some good product to market soon....all a bit sad at the moment when you actually go to the factory and talk to some employees. They know their product is way behind rivals.

Im thinking RS3 will be the 2.0 litre - can't see there is much life left in the 5 pot.
    S3 Sportback S-Tronic - Amalfi White, Comfort Pack, LED headlights, LED interior lights, High-beam assist, hill hold assist, privacy glass, mono-pur, folding mirrors, TPMS, Audi sound system and black Alacantra. Built week 17. Arrived 17/05/14. Wow......just wow

Rarely neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Av4nt View Post
    420 from a 2 litre dayum! surely there must be some strain on parts somewhere there lol
    Not if you build it properly.

You will need forged pistons and rods,and decent bearing shells etc,but if you consider that mine is a daily runner with 500bhp,and has run over 440bhp for the last 3 yrs and 36 000 miles,then you can see that over 200bhp/litre is not only attainable,but reliable.

Reverse Gear

Status
    Almost makes a Focus RS look like a q-car!
    S3Alex likes this.

1st Gear

Status
    Interesting to see more info on the Golf R Evo popping up on pistonheads and other links today.

2.0T good for 380bhp.

This is beginning to make more sense to me that the RS3 and Golf Evo could be the range topping cars for both brands and could therefore use the higher tuned 2.0 engine over the heavier 5 pot.

Hmmm...

Rarely neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan_G View Post
    Interesting to see more info on the Golf R Evo popping up on pistonheads and other links today.

2.0T good for 380bhp.

This is beginning to make more sense to me that the RS3 and Golf Evo could be the range topping cars for both brands and could therefore use the higher tuned 2.0 engine over the heavier 5 pot.

Hmmm...
    The 2.0 engine in the Golf R/S3 has been good for that sort of power for years to be fair.

All of the Stg2+(i.e. non-big turbo) maps,will deliver around 360-370bhp with reliability over a long time,subject to good treatment such as regular oil changes etc.

The engine itself is good for 440bhp and 440lbs before needing a bottom end rebuild,and after that sort of work,good for a lot more.

The 2.5 has proved difficult to tune,and few kits exist even for the TT-RS,leaving mostly software and straightforward upgrades to take owners towards 500bhp.
    The 2.0 has been there for a while.

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigI View Post
    Absolutely awful!

Agreed. Hideous spolier
    Audi S3, Misano red, Stronic, ACC, Tech pack with Audi Connect, Comfort pack with park assist plus, though-load, aluminium roof bars, B&O, Led lights, Folding mirrors, Interior led lights, Hold assist, High beam assist, Pano roof, Privacy glass, Electric lumbar support

Rarely neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by royalsteve68 View Post
    Agreed. Hideous spolier
    And again.....serious eyesore.

5th Gear

Status
    It will go down very well with the McDonalds crowd

Or is it the Krispy Kreme crowd these days, I can't keep up!

S3 8V 3DR DSG ACC ABS ADS AMI ASR ASS DAB DBW DIS DRL EBA EBD EDL EGR EPB EPS ESP GPS LED MFSW MMI PDC PSF RAC SDXC TFSI CO2 EEC OTR WTF OMG

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by ConS3 View Post
    Audi have already confirmed the RS3 will use the five pot, so no.
    +1

Thats what ive heard aswell, 2ltr 4 pot in an RS3 will be a poor choice on Audis behalf imo.

the 5 cyl engine is one of the main focus points of the RS3/TTrs.

I would say they will work some magic on the block to make it lighter..
    Last edited by Derbz; 2nd April 2014 at 17:45.

1st Gear

Status
    On order S3 Sedan - S-Tronic, Sepang Blue, Performance Pack, Driver Assist Pack, Folding mirrors, Privacy glass and Tinted windows.

Status
    367bhp with 5 cylinders and a 2500 cubic capacity....

I appreciate it's an increase in performance on the old unit, but given the Merc is only 7bhp poorer with a humble 2.0 litre 4 pot I think that's a bit weak. That said, it's not always about the headline value, it's how it transfers the horses it's got onto the back stuff, and we know from the current RS3 it's very good at that.
    Audi S5 3.0V6T Coupe Black Edition

2nd Gear

Status

Ha ha ha looks like someone smashed through Halfords window and all the s**t stuck to it!!!
    Here at last: MY14 S3 Sportback, Manual, Estoril Blue, Rails, SS Seats, LED Headlights, Interior LED pack, Privacy glass, Comfort pack, Audi Sound System, Black Inlays.
    Just gone: MY13 Audi TT 2.0 TDI Quattro Amplified Black Edition, Misano Red, Privacy glass, Sat nav
    Previous : MY12 A3 2.0TDI Quattro Black Edition, Misano Red, Bose, Full Leather, Privacy glass

Status
    I bet it will drive well though. Looks a serious racer rather than a conservative Eurobox. That said, a bit extreme for my tastes.
    Audi S5 3.0V6T Coupe Black Edition

3rd Gear

Status
    It did crash into Halfords.

Halfords | Type R Chrome Badge

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by warren_S3 View Post

I appreciate it's an increase in performance on the old unit, but given the Merc is only 7bhp poorer with a humble 2.0 litre 4 pot I think that's a bit weak. That said, it's not always about the headline value, it's how it transfers the horses it's got onto the back stuff, and we know from the current RS3 it's very good at that.
    Hopefully the claimed power is below what it really is...abit like the S4/5

Ethier way it should map well.
    warren_S5 likes this.
    B8 S4 supercharged goodness..

3rd Gear

Status
    S3 Saloon S-Tronic. Panther Black. Tech Pack, Super-sports seats, LED Lights, Comfort pack with Adaptive Cruise and parking plus, Folding mirrors, Bang and Olufsen Sound System, Interior Light Pack, Hill Hold Assist, Privacy glass, Tyre sensor, Boot Mat (Countdown Thread)

Previously 2.0TSi VW Scirocco

Neutral

Status
    This is sooooo 90's! Carmageddon 3?!

image.jpg

3rd Gear

Status
    Anyone know if they are going to build a 3 door this time? Hopefully its not just the family wagon they roll out this time. 3 door RS3 would excite me in a big way, ultimate hot hatch.

Audi S3 8P3 / REVO Stage 1 / REVO Ceramic Intake / NGK Iridium Spark Plugs / LOBA HPFP / Philips Diamond Vision 5000k Fog Light Bulbs /
    KW V3 Coilovers / Team HEKO Wind Deflectors / Bridgestone Potenza S001 92Y Tyres / Complete LED Bulb Conversion (int' + ext') / Ashtray Delete /
    TTS Engine Cover / Alpine 928r Multimedia Station (8in screen) with integrated Bluetooth, Sat Nav etc / Ross-Tech VCDS Owner.

3rd Gear

Status
    Given the speed at which they are bringing this one out combined with RS3 Saloon pictures I've seen, I would be very surprised if they didn't...
    S3 Saloon S-Tronic. Panther Black. Tech Pack, Super-sports seats, LED Lights, Comfort pack with Adaptive Cruise and parking plus, Folding mirrors, Bang and Olufsen Sound System, Interior Light Pack, Hill Hold Assist, Privacy glass, Tyre sensor, Boot Mat (Countdown Thread)

Previously 2.0TSi VW Scirocco

Banned

Status
    Sportback S3 is no family wagon here just more practical .

Rarely neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by warren_S3 View Post

Yes,definitely good on traction,but the problem so far(even before the latest ECU encryption) has been tuning the 2.5 RS engine.

All of the real work so far has been done on the TT-RS platform,and little if any,on the RS3,and there have been issues with both packaging and designing parts to fit,plus actually unlocking the potential in terms of power.

There are a few 550bhp+ TT-RS's around,but not many,and fewer have been trouble free.