Badger5Monster Motorsport
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: A3 Speed Camera - POIbase

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott View Post
    Ah okay, that's not too bad then. Personally, I think that the benefit of literally having a sat nav available at the flick of a button (rather than getting it out, mounting it to the windscreen, plugging it in and waiting for it to turn on) is worth the cost, and the only feature I miss is the ability to have POI notifications - I do love voice recognition with Audi Connect where I can say "online destination alton towers" for example. I find that very useful and it works for most places, as well as the ability to use the wheel as a touch pad...but each to their own! I always used to get frustrated with the cable but looks like you've got that covered.
    Did you enjoy Alton Towers? Thorpe Park was pretty quiet 😚

2. # ADS
    ADS

1st Gear

Status
    The ideal scenario for me would be if Audi used Tom Tom as their provider

Neutral

Status
    Just received an email from POIbase - they say this is how you load their database:

1- Put an empty SD card into the PC card reader
    2- start POIbase on the PC
    3- click on "cancel" when the automatic device search starts
    4- click on button "manual selection" and select the Audi system
    5- click on -> Download >Download POIs > add some POIs and install them to the SD card with a click on "Update xxx POIs"
    6- put the SD card into the card reader of the Audi MMI
    7- click on > MENU > an then on the control button "Setup MMI"
    8- select "system update"
    9- select the storage medium on which the data is stored
    10- Update is executed
    drtav13 likes this.

6th Gear

Status
    It'd put them on as icons but won't give you warnings when you come up to them I guess.
    Sport 2.0 TDI 150 Sportback in Scuba Blue, alcantara/leather, advanced key, audi sound system, comfort pack w/ ACC and park assist, deselect sports suspension, auto-dimming & folding door mirrors, electric lumbar support, heated seats, hold assist, non-smoking pack, side & lane assist, reversing camera, storage & luggage pack, tech pack with audi connect, tyre pressure warning, towbar, variable headlight range control, xenon light pack

Neutral

Status
    Exactly, I'm going to do what I mentioned earlier. I've already got the "beeper" and it's working well so far, even hidden away in the armrest of my current car.

1st Gear

Status
    This wont work on standard sat nav will it?

5th Gear

Status
    Don't know but would like to know lol

Neutral

Status
    If you can add POIs to the standard nav, it'll work. If you can't, it won't.
    Audi A3 Sportback 2.0TDI 184 Quattro S-tronic Ambition (ordered 8/4/14, BW19) - Phantom black, S-line, Sport Design, Intuition Plus & Assistance packs. Sport suspension, Badge delete, Heated folding mirrors, Electric heated seats, Sunroof, Xenon Plus lights, Towbar, Audi Connect, Electric lumbar support, Light/rain sensor, Hill assist , GPS Plus, B&O speakers, Through-loading facility, Presense basic, TPMS, Flat steering wheel with paddles, Side airbags, Light module, Locking wheel nuts

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerdy Norm View Post
    If you can add POIs to the standard nav, it'll work. If you can't, it won't.
    But we don't know if you can add POI's or not lol

Reverse Gear

Status
    Just for those that are interested ...

I was able to get the Speed Carmera POIs from pocketGPSWorld to work with MMI + Tech Pack (no Audi connect)

(I also got the poibase one working but it is very limited with only 5k+ items in the default pack - i could only get about 2500 imported)

Its a bit involved but here goes

Download as 'Other - GPX' file and choose Consolidated By Type (The single file is too big for MyAudi)

Upload them as 5 separate POI lists (I changed the icons too)

Select them all and then choose download

Double Click the resulting .jnlp file - don't just copy it to the SD card. This should run a java VM which does the rest. I couldn't get this to work with Windows 7 but it worked okay on my Mac.

I also wasn't able to select the SD card directly but just saved to the desktop and then moved to SD card

There should be 1 file called metainfo2.txt and a PersonalPOI folder

Then just import under MMI Setup - System Update

No audio warning of course but better than nothing. :-)
    Nerdy Norm and chrisboyle999 like this.

1st Gear

Status
    This sounds silly but do you have to pay for the speed camera POI files?

1st Gear

Status
    Yeh you pay a subscription to PGPSW and you cans download a refreshed list every week or month (can't remember).
    Buneet likes this.
    Audi 8V S3 s-tronic
    Phantom Black | Black styling pack | Titanium 18" alloy wheels | LED headlights
    Super sports seats | mono.pur
    | Bang & Olufsen | Advance key | Interior LEDs
    Technology pack | Audi Connect | Parking System Plus | Reversing Camera
    ACC | Hold assist | Pre-sense | Headlight assist | Privacy glass | TPMS
    LTE data by EE | Paint protection by Gtechniq | more to come...

Neutral

Status
    £20 per year, database updated every Wednesday.
    Buneet likes this.
    Audi A3 Sportback 2.0TDI 184 Quattro S-tronic Ambition (ordered 8/4/14, BW19) - Phantom black, S-line, Sport Design, Intuition Plus & Assistance packs. Sport suspension, Badge delete, Heated folding mirrors, Electric heated seats, Sunroof, Xenon Plus lights, Towbar, Audi Connect, Electric lumbar support, Light/rain sensor, Hill assist , GPS Plus, B&O speakers, Through-loading facility, Presense basic, TPMS, Flat steering wheel with paddles, Side airbags, Light module, Locking wheel nuts

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by ctek View Post

I was able to get the Speed Carmera POIs from pocketGPSWorld to work with MMI + Tech Pack (no Audi connect)
    Nice 1 ctek.

Since you seem to have chosen the same nav spec as me, prepare yourself to be 'bothered' in about a months time!

By the way, does the poi database include mobile speed camera locations? Thanks in advance.

1st Gear

Status
    Okay that sounds reasonable but I'll wait until someone can confirm that it works on just the standard SD card nav with no tech pack
    Cheers guys
    TJM22 likes this.

Reverse Gear

Status
    No worries Chris - shout if you need any pointers

Its a shame its a bit fiddly with pocketgpsworld database

The poibase one saves it directly to SD card in a format that the NAV can read straight off.

I need to spend some more time with the poibase one to see why I dont get a full list - its about as clear as mud lol
    chrisboyle999 likes this.

Reverse Gear

Status
    Still work in progress but I've tried to write to the SD card and it seems to be write protected even with the tab in the correct position. Also tried off a separate SD card and the system says the data is the wrong format.

Will continue in case.
    MY14 S3 Sportback S-Line, Manual, Daytona Grey, Adaptive Lights, Progressive Steering, Panoramic Sunroof, Interior Light Pack, Comfort Pack, Audi Sound System, ACC, Parking System Plus, Electronic Folding & Heated Mirrors, Non-smoking Pack, SD Nav

Neutral

Status
    A quick update now I've actually got the car

I've managed to add speed cameras to the MMI system using My Audi. It worked first time, exactly as per the instructions. I used the PGPSW database, and selected the "consolidated by type" ASC format (strangely, the CSV format I first tried reported an error in My Audi, despite supposedly being supported). Then I uploaded the 4 ASC files (fixed, mobile, average, red-light) to My Audi as well as an icon I also got from PGPSW, and followed the prompts to convert and copy it to a blank SD card.

Following the instructions, I successfully added the new POIs to the MMI. The only thing they don't mention is that you must remember to add the new POIs to the items you want to be visible on the map (like petrol stations, etc.) using the settings menu.

To take care of warning notifications, I've pressed into action an old iPhone, which also handles internet radio duties. I've left it permanently connected to power in the armrest (fuse mod done so it doesn't run flat). It uses the Audi Connect SIM card for updates, so hopefully it can just stay there forever.

A bit of a cobbled-together solution for something which Audi could have easily provided themselves, but I've managed to achieve my goal of an always-on system requiring no input from me each time I drive off.

Neutral

Status
    No worries Chris - shout if you need any pointers

Its a shame its a bit fiddly with pocketgpsworld database

The poibase one saves it directly to SD card in a format that the NAV can read straight off.

I need to spend some more time with the poibase one to see why I dont get a full list - its about as clear as mud lol
    Well, I have the car now and intend to do a bit of fiddling at the weekend once I get a bit of time.

Id rather have a comprehensive database than one thats easy to work around so was wondering if you had any more joy with the poibase or is pocketgps the route to take?

Is your guide (#50 above) for poibase or pocketgps?

Keep your diary clear for Saturday p.m.

Reverse Gear

Status
    Hi Chris

The guide was for pocketgps - the poibase one is really straight forward as it generates the files that go on the SD card directly

Just shout if you need any help

2nd Gear

Status
    Hi Chris

The guide was for pocketgps - the poibase one is really straight forward as it generates the files that go on the SD card directly

Just shout if you need any help
    I haven't got my car yet so may be talking through my proverbial but have you tried using the iPhone app from pocketgpsworld to give audible warnings through Bluetooth on the MMI?
    Collection 4 August: Sportback 1.4TFSI COD S-Line, 7-speed S-tronic, Glacier white, Black Nappa leather, Technology with Audi Connect, LED headlights, Storage, No-smoking, Black styling, Driver Assistance including Adaptive Cruise Control, Active Lane Assist, High Beam Assist, Audi Parking System Plus with Park Assist, Audi Sound system, 5 year warranty, Folding & heated door mirrors, Electric lumbar support, Extended mono.pur, Heated seats, Hold assist, Privacy glass.

2nd Gear

Status
    Anyone with the standard sat nav managed to get this all up and running?

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Schizophonic View Post
    Anyone with the standard sat nav managed to get this all up and running?
    AFAIK you cannot add POIs to the standard sat nav system but owners may confirm or refute this?
    Collection 4 August: Sportback 1.4TFSI COD S-Line, 7-speed S-tronic, Glacier white, Black Nappa leather, Technology with Audi Connect, LED headlights, Storage, No-smoking, Black styling, Driver Assistance including Adaptive Cruise Control, Active Lane Assist, High Beam Assist, Audi Parking System Plus with Park Assist, Audi Sound system, 5 year warranty, Folding & heated door mirrors, Electric lumbar support, Extended mono.pur, Heated seats, Hold assist, Privacy glass.

6th Gear

Status
    I believe it's a connect only feature, though not totally sure
    Sport 2.0 TDI 150 Sportback in Scuba Blue, alcantara/leather, advanced key, audi sound system, comfort pack w/ ACC and park assist, deselect sports suspension, auto-dimming & folding door mirrors, electric lumbar support, heated seats, hold assist, non-smoking pack, side & lane assist, reversing camera, storage & luggage pack, tech pack with audi connect, tyre pressure warning, towbar, variable headlight range control, xenon light pack

5th Gear

Status
    User POIs can only be added to Tech Pack, with or without Connect.

If trying to add POIs to non-Connect Tech Pack, this is only available from MY14 cars.

More:
    Technology Package

S3 8V 3DR DSG ACC ABS ADS AMI ASR ASS DAB DBW DIS DRL EBA EBD EDL EGR EPB EPS ESP GPS LED MFSW MMI PDC PSF RAC SDXC TFSI CO2 EEC OTR WTF OMG

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12