Badger5Sky Insurance
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: A3/S3 8V: Personalised Registration Numbers (Private Plates)

A3/S3 8V: Personalised Registration Numbers (Private Plates)

This is a thread for those members who already have or are thinking of purchasing a Personalised Registration Number. You can also discuss anything to do with PRNs but if you one of those people who do not like PRNs then please DO NOT comment in this particular thread.

As some background, I purchased my PRN which as most of you will realise from my forum ID is H5 DJR back in 1991 when the DVLA first allowed us to purchase particular numbers from the new numbers that were going to be issued for that year. This has now expanded to cover all numbers.

The first car my PRN went on was a 1991 Audi 90 2.3E and my new 8V A3 will be the 10th that has had the same number. One was a Golf 2.8 VR6 but all the others have been A3s. Personally I think a PRN is one of the best reasonably priced ways to personalise a car. Obviously you can pay large sums for some plates like A1, COM IC or similar but plates based on initials etc can be purchased from £399 upwards direct from the DVLA or from registered number plate dealers. The £399 figure includes the £80 fee the DVLA charge to transfer the number to a car. One important fact to remember is that the fee you pay for a PRN does not mean you actually own that number. It gives you the right to assign the number to your car but if you misuse it that right can be taken away by the DVLA Misuse includes things like using the wrong typeface, incorrect spacing etc. The plates with the Personalised Number must comply with all the current regulations for number plates. Details of the current requirements for displaying number plates are given here: http://www.gov.uk/displaying-number-plates

Full detail of all the processes involved can be found here: www.gov.uk/personalised-vehicle-registration-numbers/overview but here is a summary...

A new Personalised Registration Number
    Basically when you buy a PRN you will be sent a form V750 Certificate of Entitlement. If you have a brand new vehicle that has not yet been registered, ask the vehicle dealer to register the vehicle with the new number. You will need to give the dealer your Certificate of Entitlement.
    If the vehicle is already registered and has an existing registration number, you can apply to DVLA to have the new number assigned to the vehicle

Transferring a Personalised Number to another new car using a Retention Certificate

When you want to transfer your PRN to another new car follow the process outlined on the DVLA website at: www.gov.uk/personalised-vehicle-registration-numbers/transferring-a-registration-number

You will need to complete a V317 form "Application to transfer or retain an existing registration number" and send it together with the £80 transfer fee and £25 retention fee to the DVLA.

If the existing car has ever been issued with a registration number the DVLA will use the same number but if it has never had a 'normal' number allocated it will be given a new number related to it's age. You will receive a new V5C Registration Document showing the new number that has been allocated together with a form allowing you to get a new set of plates made. You will also get a Retention Certificate which is valid for 12 months. These often come in separate postings. You give this Retention Certificate to the dealer and they can then register the new car with you personal
    number. Personally I find this is a much more straight forward and quicker process than having the new car registered with a normal number and then transferring your PRN afterwards. All of what needs doing can be done before you get the new car.

All the forms you need to complete can be downloaded from the DVLA website. When you complete them and send them to the DVLA keep copies just in case there is any problem.

When you next change your car you just go through the same procedure again. So far I have done it 9 times without any problems.

If anyone requires any further information, please post in this thread or send me a PM.
    Nilz, warren_S5, stetheo and 2 others like this.
    Dave R (h5djr)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A3 8V 2.0 TDI-184 Sportback Sport s-tronic quattro - Silver + lots of options - my 9th A3

2. # ADS
    ADS

181 BHP

Status
    I have had a personalised registration plate since 1993 'L' prefix, which I purchased when getting a 7 series BMW, this has been with me ever since, on numerous cars. This Audi A3 Sportback purchase is my first brand new car since then, all my others have been ex demos or cancelled orders. Any PP purchase is because the number has some significant to the purchaser. So why not.....
    Proud Owner - A3 Sportback 2 lt Quattro - S Line - Daytona Grey

5th Gear

Status
    I too have one- I used to have S3 DRL- but I let that go on my old S3 when I sold it many moons ago.

I then saw one that resembled by surname (R88PER) which used to be my name on the forums too - until I changed it.

Its been on most of my cars since I bought it - but is currenlty on retention waiting for the new S3 to be delivered.
    Paul R

S3 Sportback - Sprint, Buckets, Bose, Rain & light, Alu rails, Piano trim, FT Warning, Bluetooth prep
    S3's now sold - roll on the Golf MK1 Project

Reverse Gear

Status
    I have a PP going on my soon to be delivered S3, my car is a lease however. This is still no problem as the Audi dealership is arranging all this for me through VWFS (Volkswagen Finance Solutions) as they ultimately own the car . The thing to remember when going on a lease car is that you generally have to take the plate off the car 3 months before it goes back to the lease company/auction to get the plate back on retention before you then add it on to the next car. If you are remaining loyal to the dealership/brand or lease company on your next new car they are usually pretty flexible and may well sort this out for you. My current lease is due to end 29th May but the car is ready mid-April and they are arranging an early hand back of the current car (A4 S Line)
    S3 SB S-Tronic, Panther Black, Star Alloys, Comfort pack with ACC & Parking Sensors, B&O, SD Sat Nav, Privacy Glass, Folding & Heated Door Mirrors, Interior Light Pack, Roof Rails oh and a lovely reversible boot mat!

2nd Gear

Status
    As mentioned, once the PP is on the car then 'ownership' or 'right to use' is for whomever owns the car.

Important for cases where the car is leased but also...

V important if your car is declared a write off (regardless of whether leased or owned). Make sure any settlement with the insurance company includes the return of your plate, ideally state your intention to get the plate back before they declare it a write-off, otherwise they get the plate too.

John.
    Enjoying my 8V

1st Gear

Status
    So if the car already had a number plate assigned then all you pay is the £399 (or however much the plate cost, which include the £80 transfer fee), then you pay to retain the number thats taken off? And when ready to sell the car, just pay another £80 transfer fee to put the old number back on and another £25 retention fee for the PP? Is the retention fee a one off or has to be renewed every year?

Quote Originally Posted by dieselguy View Post
    So if the car already had a number plate assigned then all you pay is the £399 (or however much the plate cost, which include the £80 transfer fee), then you pay to retain the number thats taken off? And when ready to sell the car, just pay another £80 transfer fee to put the old number back on and another £25 retention fee for the PP? Is the retention fee a one off or has to be renewed every year?
    When you buy a plate for say £399 that includes the £80 fee to transfer that new number onto an existing car. When you sell that car you pay a total of £105 to transfer the plate to the new car and have a new number issued for the existing car. The £25 retention fee is only needed to make like a little easier because you can apply before the new car is registered at all.

So basically once you have bought a plate for £399 the only costs after that are the £80 transfer and £25 retention fee whenever you want to move it on to a new car. The retention fee is only needed to cover any time when the number is NOT on a car.
    Dave R (h5djr)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A3 8V 2.0 TDI-184 Sportback Sport s-tronic quattro - Silver + lots of options - my 9th A3

1st Gear

Status
    That sounds reasonable.
    I do like PPs. Makes a huge difference to the car. My only problem is to settle on which PP to have. And obviously the more rare the more expensive it gets.

1st Gear

Status
    I have had my PP for nine years and it has been on five cars. I bought mine (for £250) from DVLA which, I think offers a good range of choices at reasonable prices.

There are several companies who sell plates and these will have more obscure specific plates.

If you are looking for a standard sort of plate either the old style or current style plates I recommend that you do check the DVLA site as often the other companies will list those available from DVLA but at a higher price!

I guess if you buy through a company they actually buy it from DVLA and put their bit on the cost!

It's just a bit of fun and I enjoy my plate on my A3 which I have had for just about a year now!
    Audi A3 Sportback 2.0 TDI 150ps S Line
    Glacier White, Perforated Alcantara leather seats, Aluminium Roof Rails, Advanced Key, Audi Sound System, Hill-hold Assist, Comfort Package, Electric Lumbar Support - Front Seats, Interior Light Package, Open Sky Panoramic Sunroof, Sat Nav SD Card Based, Dab Digital Radio, Through Load Facility, Debadged.

Changed from A4 Avant S Line executive pack, Ibis white on 28.3.13

Status
    Any further irrelevant posts in this thread that don't add value or useful contribution will be deleted, and may result in permanent 'garden leave'. Do not test my patience, today is not the day. Thank you.
    Audi S5 3.0V6T Coupe Black Edition

Born to Fish

Status
    Had my PP on a my last three A3's and it just finishes them off S--BEB and the names S Bebbington
    h5djr likes this.
    2013 1.4 TFSI S line 8V, Brilliant Red, Cruise Control, DIS, MFSW, Dual Climate, Leather, Front Fogs, 18in 5 Twin Spoke Alloys, Welly, Boot and Fishing Rod Racks.

My rather special stand out from all the others H5 DJR will soon become FN12 BPK as I have just received it's replacement number for when H5 DJR goes on to my new 8V hopefully in 2 to 3 weeks time.
    Dave R (h5djr)

1st Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Follow oufc1976 On Twitter
    Car arrived today donning its new PP!

It's a company car but the lease company has a policy that enables me to register them as my 'nominee' and attach a PP.

In theory this should carry a charge but as I purchased the PP specifically for this car, I was able to nominate the lease company at the time I bought the plate. So there was no additional cost.

Technically, it belongs to them. But I have signed a disclaimer that confirms they have no interest in my plate and I will be entitled to it back so long as I conform to the terms and conditions of the lease agreement.

I know PPs polarise people. But I have to say it's absolutely made my car. Love it!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    h5djr, Audimad and cuke2u like this.
    8V A3 Saloon 2.0 TDi S-Line. Daytona Grey. SD Sat Nav. Privacy Glass.

Quote Originally Posted by oufc1976 View Post
    Car arrived today donning its new PP!

It's a company car but the lease company has a policy that enables me to register them as my 'nominee' and attach a PP.

In theory this should carry a charge but as I purchased the PP specifically for this car, I was able to nominate the lease company at the time I bought the plate. So there was no additional cost.

Technically, it belongs to them. But I have signed a disclaimer that confirms they have no interest in my plate and I will be entitled to it back so long as I conform to the terms and conditions of the lease agreement.

I know PPs polarise people. But I have to say it's absolutely made my car. Love it!
    Who wants to put just an 'ordinary' number on a special car. Enjoy your new car.
    Dave R (h5djr)

1st Gear

Status
    I've had two PP's, TT09 JBJ which was on an Audi TTS and L80 JBJ which i had on an Audi 80TDI, both went with the cars and i always said i would never have another, until now!!

Our S3 came with DG63 USE which kept bothering me as it looked like drug use, well to me anyway, the wife thought it was ok so i went on the DVLA's website. S3 JBJ was unavailable as that is somewhere in the country on a 1.6 Vauxhall Astra. The next best thing was available though, S111 JBJ and only £250 so i bought it, bargain.

I picked JBJ as i'm a huge fan of Jon Bon Jovi. Only joking, it's my initials.
    h5djr, warren_S5, Sandra and 1 others like this.

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Audimad View Post
    I've had two PP's, TT09 JBJ which was on an Audi TTS and L80 JBJ which i had on an Audi 80TDI, both went with the cars and i always said i would never have another, until now!!

Our S3 came with DG63 USE which kept bothering me as it looked like drug use, well to me anyway, the wife thought it was ok so i went on the DVLA's website. S3 JBJ was unavailable as that is somewhere in the country on a 1.6 Vauxhall Astra. The next best thing was available though, S111 JBJ and only £250 so i bought it, bargain.

Lmao Jeff, thats got to be the best post of the day. I bet you secretly like Jon Bon Jovi x
    Audi-sport.net Lanyards & Stickers
    To find Audi-Sport-Net members with VCDS check out the MAP

Quote Originally Posted by Audimad View Post

Welcome back to the PP Club
    Dave R (h5djr)

Neutral

Status
    Picked up S3AWX for £250 from DVLA, obviously car being an S3 and AW my initials, X just because its there :P
    h5djr likes this.

Reverse Gear

Status
    I'm currently in a company pool car & really miss my PP.
    My kid brother died in 2003 so mine is a tribute to him MB03 BRO. Can't wait for my A3 saloon to be delivered so I can get it back on.
    h5djr and cuke2u like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Nuggzy View Post
    My kid brother died in 2003 so mine is a tribute to him MB03 BRO. Can't wait for my A3 saloon to be delivered so I can get it back on.
    Nice but sad reason for the PP.
    Dave R (h5djr)

Neutral

Status
    My Wife Bought me mine for the car i bought in October
    ST53 DAW
    As my name is Steve Dawson
    So definately personalised to me
    N that cost £250 including transfer fees
    Best present she's ever Bought me 👍

Reverse Gear

Status

Personalised Registration Numbers (Private Plates)

Lucky find when searching on DVLA site for an alternative to a 13 plate. A3 Version 8V. One of their cheapest too!
    2013 A3 SB 2.0TDI S line S tronic, Daytona Grey, Perforated Alcantara/Leather, Comfort package, De-select sports suspension, SD card Sat Nav, Adaptive cruise control, Park system plus, Auto dimming door mirrors, Adaptive headlights, DAB radio, Audi sound system, Through-load facility, Hold assist, Interior lighting package, Heated front seats, Electric lumbar suppport, Non-smoking package, Reversible mat

4th Gear

Status
    My wife bought me A11 WRX which I had on a Prodrive Subaru STi. Sadly car and number plate have gone.
    Steeve

3rd Gear

Status
    I tend to buy a plate for the car.
    I also tend to change my car too often and never take the plate with me as it's only relevant to the car.
    Can become an expensive hobby.

Got SB53 AUD for my S3 Sportback after someone mentioned it on here.

Looking for one for my other car.
    Thinking YA55 SLK might be the one........

Quote Originally Posted by CraigI View Post
    I tend to buy a plate for the car.
    I also tend to change my car too often and never take the plate with me as it's only relevant to the car.
    Can become an expensive hobby.

Got SB53 AUD for my S3 Sportback after someone mentioned it on here.

Looking for one for my other car.
    Thinking YA55 SLK might be the one........
    Perhaps you should consider a 'Personal' rather than a 'Car' plate. It could save you a lot of money
    Dave R (h5djr)

1st Gear

Status
    I've had my pp for around 15+ years.I wanted as near my initial (J) and surname (Gibb) I looked at every option and the nearest was J6LBB.
    Awaiting it to arrive late May on my new A3 SE .

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by h5djr View Post
    Perhaps you should consider a 'Personal' rather than a 'Car' plate. It could save you a lot of money
    You're probably right, but I prefer the car related ones.
    I don't spend too much money on them - normally just £250, but I've had 5 to date and looking at number 6.......

A3 Fan

Status
    Tempted by S300 BRT

S3 300bhp and my abbreviated surname!!
    Some people walk in the rain others just get wet

Reverse Gear

Status
    I picked up my S3 last week. Its number plate (in Oz) is FLYR. Nice tiny plate. I hate huge numbers ruining the look of my car.
    markjames likes this.

1st Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Follow oufc1976 On Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by Nuggzy:2120202
    Sorry to hear that mate. My A3 is a company car but the lease company have let me put my PP on it. Just had to sign a disclaimer, which protects them but also me as it states they have no interest in retaining my plate if/when I change car/leave company
    8V A3 Saloon 2.0 TDi S-Line. Daytona Grey. SD Sat Nav. Privacy Glass.

Neutral

Status
    For the last 4/5 years I have always thought that if I was going to get a private plate, it would probably be something like M88XRK, which is my name (Mark) and 88 (year of birth), and an X because its a 'cool' letter, and also because I thought the chances of getting just M88RK were very slim and very expensive, so another letter would help.

One evening close to my A3 delivery, my girlfriend is browsing ebay and checks what private plates are available at a reasonable price, that spell MARK. She said to me.... 'there is quite a good one here, M88 XRK at £500, looks quite good!'

I was amazed! The exact plate I had thought about buying was for sale, and furthermore, I emailed them with an offer of £350 and they accepted. Just waiting for DVLA to put it on my car now (the retention certificate had gathered dust for 6 months... oopss). Bargain IMO - every cloud and all that!
    dragon likes this.

1st Gear

Status
    I have been on a separate S3 thread for months and never seen this one. I was bought a private plate by my wife for my 40th last June, G1 RSF, name and initials basically, and it's currently on my Q5. I am just waiting for my S3 SB which is build wk 16, ordered early Dec and getting very impatient now. I and other private plate devotees got some stick on the other thread so very refreshing to find one where I can actually discuss it properly! I absolutely love my plate, can't wait to get it on the S3 in May!!
    Sandra likes this.
    NOW DRIVING: Glacier white S3 SB, pano roof, C0Z alloys, parade red leather, tyre pressure monitor, through load, technology pack, privacy glass, interior light pack, folding door mirrors, adaptive cruise, audi sound system, parking system plus, aly roof rails, light & rain sensors, xenon plus headlights.

1st Gear

Status
    Not wanting to derail this thread but what's everyone's thoughts on pressed metal plates? Yay or nay??
    2014 Audi A3 8v 1.4 COD Sport, 3 door hatchback in Brilliant Red, with Privacy Glass, Comfort Pack, Hold Assist, 17” x 7.5J ‘10-spoke Dynamic’ design alloy wheels.

181 BHP

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by MA3RC View Post
    Not wanting to derail this thread but what's everyone's thoughts on pressed metal plates? Yay or nay??
    If you are referring to Number Plates, they are not LEGAL in UK.

PART 2VEHICLES REGISTERED ON OR AFTER 1ST JANUARY 1973 AND BEFORE 1ST SEPTEMBER 2001 (OPTIONAL SPECIFICATION)1. The plate must be made of reflex-reflecting material which, as regards its construction, colour and other qualities, complies with the requirements of—
    (a)the British Standard Specification for reflex-reflecting number plates, published on 11 September 1972 under the number BS AU 145a(2),
    Last edited by andy203; 1st April 2014 at 07:47.
    Proud Owner - A3 Sportback 2 lt Quattro - S Line - Daytona Grey

1st Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Follow StefRobinson On Twitter
    I bought mine - J1 SKJ when I was 18. I've had it on 4 cars since, and have just sent all the paperwork to the DVLA to get it onto my 5th car. My A3 Sportback 8V.

I actually sent all the paperwork about 6 weeks ago, heard nothing, so phoned them up and they knew nothing about it so it had obviously got lost somewhere. I've just sent the retention certificate and a new logbook off to them again so hopefully I can get it back on the new car soon!
    h5djr likes this.
    Audi A3 Sportback 8V 1.6 TDI S-Line S-Tronic. Daytona Grey, Comfort Pack, Electric Heated/Folding Mirrors, Hold Assist, Interior Light Pack, SD Satellite Navigation, DAB Radio, Bang & Olufsen Sound System, Autoglym Lifeshine

Status
    Just joined the PP club, wife has purchased one for me. Car and name specific so I think she may be trying to steer me down a path car wise!
    h5djr likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by warren_S3 View Post
    Just joined the PP club, wife has purchased one for me. Car and name specific so I think she may be trying to steer me down a path car wise!
    Welcome to the 8V PP club. PA will be upset !!
    warren_S5 and gilesf like this.
    Dave R (h5djr)

Status
    And if he was to decide to make any pointed comments about it he'd actually be insulting the wife as she decided to buy it (on the grounds she thinks I've got everything else I need). And if someone was to decide to insult my missus...... I'd probably not be best pleased ;-)

Banned

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by h5djr View Post
    Welcome to the 8V PP club. PA will be upset !!
    Not in the least, I'm only really interested in cars.

I really do think this sticky should be in the general section for all PP enthusiasts to benefit. It has bugger all to do with 8V's most of whom appear not to be bothered! ;-)
    TreborA4 likes this.

1st Gear

Status
    Had my form back from the DVLA, filled it in and posted it off today. Waiting now for my new log book to arrive.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast