JMB RetrofitsEM Tuning
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: A3/S3 8V: Personalised Registration Numbers (Private Plates)

1st Gear

Status
    still waiting for my tax and log book so i can change the plates over, very frustrating!
    (i see on the news the other day that new car registrations are the highest for 10years)
    Build week 8: S3 SB, S-Tronic, Glacier, SS Seats, Comfort, Park Plus, Camera, Cruise, Tech Pack High, Pano Roof, Keyless, B&O, Pur, Privacy, Black Inlays, LED Light Pack, Through Load, Silver Rails, Folding Mirrors, Pressure Monitor,

2. # ADS
    ADS

1st Gear

Status
    Here is mine again
    Attached Images Attached Images
    MA3RC likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Audimad View Post
    Here is mine again
    Have you thought of asking them to make up plates without the phone number. Will you ever take your car abroad?
    Dave R (h5djr)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A3 8V 2.0 TDI-184 Sportback Sport s-tronic quattro - Silver + lots of options - my 9th A3

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by h5djr View Post
    Have you thought of asking them to make up plates without the phone number. Will you ever take your car abroad?
    The tel No is built into the plate although i do have some number plate surrounds from the Nurburgring but i can't put them on as the S3 hasn't been there yet. Yes i will take the car abroad, got to go to the Nurburgring again, it's addictive.

The tel No is built into the plate although i do have some number plate surrounds from the Nurburgring but i can't put them on as the S3 hasn't been there yet. Yes i will take the car abroad, got to go to the Nurburgring again, it's addictive.
    You can ask the dealer to supply plates without the lip with their phone number. These would actually fit better into a plate surround if you are going to use one after your trip to Germany. Also if you taking the car to Germany why not have EU plates rather than have to put a GB plate on the back of the car.

Here is a photo of my front plate showing both:

A3-2014-H06.jpg
    Last edited by h5djr; 20th April 2014 at 14:32.
    Dave R (h5djr)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A3 8V 2.0 TDI-184 Sportback Sport s-tronic quattro - Silver + lots of options - my 9th A3

1st Gear

Status

Personalised Registration Numbers (Private Plates)

I run a yellow 'GB plate' on the rear and a plain white one on the front without the GB.

I don't like the offset nature from the front, but legally you have to have a country identifier on the rear for foreign trips - but it's not needed on the front....

Am in France now for instance.

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by h5djr View Post
    You can ask the dealer to supply plates without the lip with their phone number. These would actually fit better into a plate surround if you are going to use one after your trip to Germany. Also if you taking the car to Germany why not have EU plates rather than have to put a GB plate on the back of the car.

Here is a photo of my front plate showing both:

A3-2014-H06.jpg
    Looks ok but i'm tempted to get some pressed metal plates.

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by andy203 View Post
    If you are referring to Number Plates, they are not LEGAL in UK.

PART 2VEHICLES REGISTERED ON OR AFTER 1ST JANUARY 1973 AND BEFORE 1ST SEPTEMBER 2001 (OPTIONAL SPECIFICATION)1. The plate must be made of reflex-reflecting material which, as regards its construction, colour and other qualities, complies with the requirements of—
    (a)the British Standard Specification for reflex-reflecting number plates, published on 11 September 1972 under the number BS AU 145a(2),
    Not true

One of the few places that I know advertise as UK legal are

UK Legal Plates

Note that they state they are UK legal. They will be correctly spaced, right material, show maker and postcode and BS marking. More importantly they are on the DfT website as a registered supplier of number plates.

Search register of number plate suppliers by town or post code
    Now

MY10 BMW 335d Touring (Sapphire Black)

MY10 S3 Sportback (Sprint Blue)

Previously
    06 BMW 330d M Sport Touring Le Mans Blue with Black leather, Phone Prep

181 BHP

Status
    Looks ok but i'm tempted to get some pressed metal plates.
    Not legal in uk.

PART 2VEHICLES REGISTERED ON OR AFTER 1ST JANUARY 1973 AND BEFORE 1ST SEPTEMBER 2001 (OPTIONAL SPECIFICATION)1. The plate must be made of reflex-reflecting material which, as regards its construction, colour and other qualities, complies with the requirements of—
    (a)the British Standard Specification for reflex-reflecting number plates, published on 11 September 1972 under the number BS AU 145a(2),
    Proud Owner - A3 Sportback 2 lt Quattro - S Line - Daytona Grey

1st Gear

Status
    ^ Neither is speeding but it doesn't stop people
    2014 Audi A3 8v 1.4 COD Sport, 3 door hatchback in Brilliant Red, with Privacy Glass, Comfort Pack, Hold Assist, 17” x 7.5J ‘10-spoke Dynamic’ design alloy wheels.

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by andy203 View Post
    Not legal in uk.

Then you should tell Dubmeister Dubmeister - Number Plates / Alloy Wheels / Chassis Parts

1st Gear

Status
    Pressed plates do have a reflective Finnish the same as the backing part of the plastic plates
    The police only seam to get funny about number plates on cars registered after 2001,I've been running pressed plates of over 10yrs with no problems

6th Gear

Status
    I can see nowhere where it states the plate construction material, only the reflectivity.

Life begins at 140mph
    Sell my Audi??? Kiss my rings!
    www.passionford.com

1st Gear

Status
    Just managed to pick a PP up,not Audi related but more for my name plate is R11CH P,I know the spacing is wrong but will take a chance for now
    A3 S-line Saloon 1.8 S-tronic
    A1 3 door S-line 185bhp sold
    A4 Avant S-line 2.0 TDI sold
    Q5 Special edition 2.0 TDI sold
    R8 V10 Spyder only for the weekend
    A4 Cab S-line 2.0 TDI Sold
    A3 1.6 SE Sold

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by amped2 View Post
    I know the spacing is wrong but will take a chance for now
    Given some of the state of car tyres / driving standards / mobile phone usage I've seen recently this should hopefully be the last of the police's worries.
    Audi S5 3.0V6T Coupe Black Edition

1st Gear

Status
    My wife has a personal plate on the A3 and never had any problems with that,so I hope so.
    A3 1.6 SE Sold

Neutral

Status
    I've had a PP on my Honda Civic since we bought the car, my wife bought it for me for my birthday (it's not car specific) and all i did was drive to borhamwood DVLA and swap it over then and there, then screw on my new plates.

It will also be going on my new A3 when it arrives in september.

1st Gear

Status
    I'll have to wait now as all the dvla offices have now shut and it has to be done in the post
    A3 1.6 SE Sold

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by 2.8 30v View Post
    The police only seam to get funny about number plates on cars registered after 2001
    This is when the laws changed on fonts etc, probably why
    Sport 2.0 TDI 150 Sportback in Scuba Blue, alcantara/leather, advanced key, audi sound system, comfort pack w/ ACC and park assist, deselect sports suspension, auto-dimming & folding door mirrors, electric lumbar support, heated seats, hold assist, non-smoking pack, side & lane assist, reversing camera, storage & luggage pack, tech pack with audi connect, tyre pressure warning, towbar, variable headlight range control, xenon light pack

5th Gear

Status
    I've been running pressed plates for probably 5+ years and never had a problem

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott View Post
    I've been running pressed plates for probably 5+ years and never had a problem
    Same here, road legal - never had a issue.

1st Gear

Status

A3/S3 8V: Personalised Registration Numbers (Private Plates)

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1399414851.604491.jpg

In have altered the character spacing (kerning) on this plate from the default but I'm planning pushing out the last "1" and "K" out a touch more at a later date as I'm not totally happy with it.

Also the central "1" and the "2" would ideally be even closer together but I can't take the pi55 too much...
    Audi 8V S3 s-tronic
    Phantom Black | Black styling pack | Titanium 18" alloy wheels | LED headlights
    Super sports seats | mono.pur
    | Bang & Olufsen | Advance key | Interior LEDs
    Technology pack | Audi Connect | Parking System Plus | Reversing Camera
    ACC | Hold assist | Pre-sense | Headlight assist | Privacy glass | TPMS
    LTE data by EE | Paint protection by Gtechniq | more to come...

1st Gear

Status
    X4 XDE going on my new quattro just before '14' becomes '64' in September. X4 (because it's a Quattro), DE was our county code (Pembrokeshire) before the current plate format was introduced and like many others, I'm proud to keep it going.

1st Gear

Status
    Bought myself a current style PP that only really means something to me and people who know me, will be assigning it soon

I ordered a set of "uk legal" pressed plates for a decent price off amazon, however slightly concerned that they didn't ask for any proof of ID/v5c etc... We'll see what turns up i guess.

As for the whole legal arguments, just use a little common sense, i'm going to be taking a few pictures with flash from different angles, if it reflects correctly and the numbers/letters are clearly legible then it's pretty safe to say that the ANPR systems won't have a problem! If not... well Amazon do quick refunds - ANPR is the number one reason for being pulled for dodgy plates

Now i've just got the pain of changing my plate over with DVLA/council (permit)/congestion charge/insurance - OH THE FUN - anyone got any tips?

Neutral

Status
    Mine is R70 BMX

Name = Robert
    Born 1970
    Love all things BMX!

Reverse Gear

Status
    Mine is S31 JAY! Had it since I was 18, been on the last 3 cars! Getting my 8v s3 in October and have ordered sum short plates for it

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12