Hard-wiring a Dash Cam

cemerson

Reaction score
Hi all,

Considering getting a dual-channel dash cam (front and back) like the Blackvue 550, and wondering how easy it will be to hard wire in. I've not really looked for the location of the fuse box yet, but I would like to install the camera somewhere near my rear view mirror (assuming there are no light sensors I'll be blocking there), and somewhere near the top middle on the rear screen, within the area that the rear wiper covers obviously. As a result, I'm going to want to run a cable from the rear view mirror to the fusebox (whichever side that is) - probably along the top of the windscreen and down the A pillar - and a cable from the boot lid to the rear view mirror area to plug in the secondary camera for rear view. I'm assuming it'll go in somewhere in the boot lid, along to where the rest of the boot cables join the car, along the top of the doors and windsceen.

Does anyone know if this is an easy task?

Reactions: mjcourtney
I would be interested the know the same thing as I've been toying with the same idea. The installation is what is holding me back!

Fuse box is behind the glovebox on RHD

The main thing to watch out for is making sure you run the cable behind the curtain airbag in the A pillar, and also along the roofline.

There are talks of the BlackVue rear camera causing issues with DAB reception on certain cars. They've since released a new cable (better shielding??) which helps, but doesn't cure the problem. Not sure if the 8v suffers (it most likely depends how close to you run the cable to the aerial cable), but something to keep in mind

Yeh, I've used them before - they are very good. I wired a phone charging socket into my old car with a 3 way switch in the dash as well to control it.

There are talks of the BlackVue rear camera causing issues with DAB reception on certain cars. They've since released a new cable (better shielding??) which helps, but doesn't cure the problem. Not sure if the 8v suffers (it most likely depends how close to you run the cable to the aerial cable), but something to keep in mind

Cheers, will try and find out where the aerial cable runs and pass it down the opposite side of the car if I can in that case. I rarely listen to radio so it's unlikely to be an issue for me anyway.

Fuse box is behind the glovebox on RHD

The main thing to watch out for is making sure you run the cable behind the curtain airbag in the A pillar, and also along the roofline.

Good point. I have elsawin so will likely be consulting that before I do anything to see how feasible it all is, but I know some people here have done some mods already and hopefully they will be able to say if it was easy or not.

Reactions: cemerson
I looked at a Black Vue for the front. I ended up sending it back as it took up too much space between the bottom of the mirror and where MMI screen pops up. I guess I could have lived with it but I felt it really restricted my vision.

Just something to think about!

Cheers, I'll take a look at my car over the weekend I think and find out how feasible I think it is.

I looked at a Black Vue for the front. I ended up sending it back as it took up too much space between the bottom of the mirror and where MMI screen pops up. I guess I could have lived with it but I felt it really restricted my vision.

Just something to think about!

Yeh - a friend at work has had his dashcam arrive today so I've been trying one in various positions. It's not a Blackvue, but I think it can work maybe above the mirror to one side or the other. I don't want to block the light sensor on the front of my mirror so can't put it behind there really.

I've just found this which shows the procedure for an A4, which is very handy. Easier than I thought. The front -> back wire may be a bit harder but I'm going to take a look at that this weekend. It might even be easier to run it along the bottom under the footplates, then back up to the top when you get to the boot - depends how easy it is to squeeze a wire in behind the headliner!

How to Hide Wires as of September 2012 - Blackvue/Finevu - Blackboxmycar.com - YouTube

Just bitten the bullet and ordered it. Blackvue DR550GW + Power Magic Pro!

Reactions: 97catalunya and mjcourtney
I've looked at it/them online, looks simple enough to me!

I have to say though, it would be better (I think) if the 2 cameras were in the style of the rear camera (compact) and both connected to a central unit which does the processing, power, settings etc. You could then install that out the way somewhere and have more options for the front camera placement.

Reactions: Minion Bob!
I'm going to wait out for this market segment to develop a bit more; I don't think this is ready for the mainstream yet and the idea of cables being on show makes me cringe.

There should be a centralised controller and storage device that could be put under the drivers seat and use a proper HDD. The cameras should then be able to stream data over wireless to this device, allowing the cameras to be smaller. Would then just be a case of tapping into a nearby power source for each device. Management would be done through a well designed iOS and Android app or through direct connection to a laptop with USB cable.

Either an independent company will do this or the car manufacturers will implement it themselves. The latter would be the best outcome as OEM is always a better solution than aftermarket.

Reactions: nervus and illingworth22
Just bitten the bullet and ordered it. Blackvue DR550GW + Power Magic Pro!

I believe with the Power Magic Pro the system will also monitor the car while parked, I think it will make for some interesting footage while the car is in for a service and if they take it out for a test drive lol

Hi, I have a blackvue 550 front and rear cam in my S3 and even with the new shielded rear cable it renders the DAB radio useless. I have just ordered some ferrite filter magnets to see if that helps.
It's easy to fit and hide the cables but I am not using the power magic. Even with a 32gb card it fills up quick on full HD. I have found that leaving it powered on 24/, even with minimum sensitivity for motion, it tends to record almost constantly. If you have an 'event' you will need get the files off the card quick. If you forget and come to it the next day, it will probably be gone!

Hi, I have a blackvue 550 front and rear cam in my S3 and even with the new shielded rear cable it renders the DAB radio useless. I have just ordered some ferrite filter magnets to see if that helps.
It's easy to fit and hide the cables but I am not using the power magic. Even with a 32gb card it fills up quick on full HD. I have found that leaving it powered on 24/, even with minimum sensitivity for motion, it tends to record almost constantly. If you have an 'event' you will need get the files off the card quick. If you forget and come to it the next day, it will probably be gone!

Re filling up the card.... Eh but that's the whole point... All cameras fill up their cards as they cycle through and overwrite the oldest file. It shouldn't overwrite event files

Re filling up the card.... Eh but that's the whole point... All cameras fill up their cards as they cycle through and overwrite the oldest file. It shouldn't overwrite event files

True but most files are events even with the lowest sensitivity settings.

Or maybe my driving style is eventful !

Will have another look at the settings.

True but most files are events even with the lowest sensitivity settings.

Or maybe my driving style is eventful !

Will have another look at the settings.

lol

make a backup on a pc and clear them - really easy - or just change the settings to delete events as well

Which side did you route the cable down? I need to have a look at Elsawin to see where the aerial cable goes and try and route the cable as far away as I can!

Which side did you route the cable down? I need to have a look at Elsawin to see where the aerial cable goes and try and route the cable as far away as I can!

Ran it along the roof on the drivers side with the slack in the boot compartment holding the locking wheel nut. Had a message earlier today from Blackvue saying I'm the only one with the new cable still having issues! They also suggested running the cable along the floor.

Will give it a go tomorrow if I get time and report back.

Reactions: Helifella
After some investigation with Elsawin, it appears that the aerial for DAB is in the boot lid on the top right (as you look at it from behind the car), but the aerial for AM and FM radios are in the top left (and an additional FM aerial in the bottom left). Do you know if the cables will cause interference with the AM/FM signal? If not, routing it down the other side of the car might be good.

Since you have to come near the aerials to route the cable through the boot properly, I'm not sure if running the cable through the floor would be any more effective to be honest.

After some investigation with Elsawin, it appears that the aerial for DAB is in the boot lid on the top right (as you look at it from behind the car), but the aerial for AM and FM radios are in the top left (and an additional FM aerial in the bottom left). Do you know if the cables will cause interference with the AM/FM signal? If not, routing it down the other side of the car might be good.

Since you have to come near the aerials to route the cable through the boot properly, I'm not sure if running the cable through the floor would be any more effective to be honest.

Many thanks for this.
Not sure if the FM is affected but given the choice I would prefer the DAB. I will try routing on the left (passenger) side to see if that gets the DAB working.
Will report back with the results and thanks again for your help!

Cheers, will await your results before fitting mine, so it's useful for me too!

Well, camera has arrived... will try finding somewhere to site it later on I think. Looks nice though!

Looks like it can be positioned directly under the mirror mount, and it's completely hidden from view from my line of sight there. I haven't actually mounted it yet but may well do that later, get everything mounted in place before I do the wiring, which will probably happen at the weekend.

Looks like it can be positioned directly under the mirror mount, and it's completely hidden from view from my line of sight there. I haven't actually mounted it yet but may well do that later, get everything mounted in place before I do the wiring, which will probably happen at the weekend.

Make sure you take plenty of pics when you do.... you could be writing the first dash cam installation guide for the 8V ;)

Reactions: 97catalunya
Heh, could be... though my plan is nothing more complicated than 'press the wire into trim panel gaps'!

Re routed the rear camera cable today. It's now routed along the floor on the passenger side. DAB reception is definitely better but still not free of drop outs. Starting to think I'm in a poor reception area and the camera cable is just enough to cause the dropouts. Will try the ferrite cable clips when the arrive, hopefully tomorrow.

Cool, thanks for trying. Another question - do you leave the camera in when you are parked up? I'm not sure how concerned I should be about attempted theft of it or not.

Cool, thanks for trying. Another question - do you leave the camera in when you are parked up? I'm not sure how concerned I should be about attempted theft of it or not.

Yes I leave the camera inside, had a Blackvue DR400 in my old car and never took it out. Must have been there for about 2 years.

left mine in my Peugeot almost every day for 2 years. They are discrete. just don't get the hideous bulky cheapo £15-50 ones from amazon or ebay

I have the blackvue 500 and it wouldn't quite fit behind the mirror so ive mounted it to the left on the passenger side right next to the mirror