Monster MotorsportEM Tuning
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By h5djr
  • 1 Post By cemerson

Thread: Cruise control cancellation question

Reverse Gear

Status

Question Cruise control cancellation question

Having picked up my new A3 SB with comfort pack on 1st, I have been using the cruise quite a lot on the motorway and find it great. This afternoon I used it on an A road, 6th gear, 40mph. Coming up a hill, pressed the clutch in to change gear, thinking it would cancel the cruise, but oh no!. Stayed engaged!. Other cars I have had with cruise, cancels when touching the brake pedal, depressing the clutch or turning it off.

I have searched online and someone in the 8P section says that is is a feature of the cruise; to stay engaged with a short depress of the clutch, but cancels on a long depress. Yet to try out this theory.

Has anybody else noticed this feature of their cruise?. Need to look in the manual but it's in the car.

Cheers

2. # ADS
    ADS

Quote Originally Posted by Pintman View Post
    Having picked up my new A3 SB with comfort pack on 1st, I have been using the cruise quite a lot on the motorway and find it great. This afternoon I used it on an A road, 6th gear, 40mph. Coming up a hill, pressed the clutch in to change gear, thinking it would cancel the cruise, but oh no!. Stayed engaged!. Other cars I have had with cruise, cancels when touching the brake pedal, depressing the clutch or turning it off.

I have searched online and someone in the 8P section says that is is a feature of the cruise; to stay engaged with a short depress of the clutch, but cancels on a long depress. Yet to try out this theory.

Has anybody else noticed this feature of their cruise?. Need to look in the manual but it's in the car.

Cheers
    I don't have my 8V yet but I do have a copy of the Owner's Manual and on page 97 and 98 are the followings comments:

The cruise control system remains active while you change gears (applies to both manual and automatic gearboxes)

The cruise control system will be deactivated if you keep your foot on the clutch pedal

So it seems that there is a feature to stay engaged with a short depress of the clutch to change gear, but it does cancel on a long depress.
    Pintman likes this.
    Dave R (h5djr)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A3 8V 2.0 TDI-184 Sportback Sport s-tronic quattro - Silver + lots of options - my 9th A3

1st Gear

Status
    This new A3 is the first car I've had with cruise control. Found it very odd changing gear without using the throttle at first.

Also, this might sound stupid, but where do you place your foot when cruising? I hover over the accelerator, as I'm concerned if I need to brake in a hurry I might hit the throttle if my foot is resting flat on the floor. I so should have specced ACC!

Reverse Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Migwire View Post
    Also, this might sound stupid, but where do you place your foot when cruising? I hover over the accelerator, as I'm concerned if I need to brake in a hurry I might hit the throttle if my foot is resting flat on the floor. I so should have specced ACC!

I usually figure, if I'm hovering over the throttle in case I need to take some quick action, then I shouldn't really be using cruise in that situation.

Reverse Gear

Status
    Thanks. I'll try it out tomorrow.

Found it very bizarre changing gear and keeping the same speed!. Oh well, another new thing to get used to!

I hover over the accelerator as well, so at least I know where the brake pedal is in case of an emergency. If my foot was on the floor, it could get confusing.

1st Gear

Status
    Haha I'm exactly the same, my first car with cruise control and I keep my foot hovering by the accelerator just in case! I'm sure we'll get used to it. I like the fact that you can change gear and it sticks on. If you hit an incline and feel the engine struggling you can simply drop the gear and the car accelerates back up to the required speed.
    2014 Audi A3 8v 1.4 COD Sport, 3 door hatchback in Brilliant Red, with Privacy Glass, Comfort Pack, Hold Assist, 17” x 7.5J ‘10-spoke Dynamic’ design alloy wheels.

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Migwire View Post
    Also, this might sound stupid, but where do you place your foot when cruising?
    On the floor generally! You get used to it soon enough
    Sport 2.0 TDI 150 Sportback in Scuba Blue, alcantara/leather, advanced key, audi sound system, comfort pack w/ ACC and park assist, deselect sports suspension, auto-dimming & folding door mirrors, electric lumbar support, heated seats, hold assist, non-smoking pack, side & lane assist, reversing camera, storage & luggage pack, tech pack with audi connect, tyre pressure warning, towbar, variable headlight range control, xenon light pack

5th Gear

Status
    I've had cars with cruise for years and I still keep my foot in the rough area of the accelerator and brake just in case of any unexpected/unanticipated events.

I am still doing this even with ACC, as although it's utterly wonderful something could still occur that would require ME to do an emergency stop - like a badger running out in the middle of the night etc. No way I'd want to hit one in the S3, it would destroy the bumper.
    Build Week 1: Panther Black S3 SB S-Tronic, black nappa, anthracite alloys, comfort pack with adaptive cruise and parking plus, active lane assist, adaptive xenons with variable range control and auto high beam, technology package HIGH with connect, B&O, tyre pressure warning, fold/dim/dip/heat mirrors, reversible boot liner, extended mono pur interior, privacy glass, hill hold assist, LED interior light pack, electric lumber support.

6th Gear

Status
    I don't and never have done, I always use the stalk to temporarily turn it off. You should only use cruise in the appropriate situations...
    Now a proud owner of a A3 1.4 tfsi Saloon S-Line, 6-speed, Daytona Grey, Technology Pack, Comfort Pack, Cruise, Advanced Key, Privacy Glass, Audi Parking System Plus, Interior Lighting, Folding Door Mirrors, Light & Rain Sensor. Hold Assist.

6th Gear

Status
    Yep, use it in the right situations and you won't have a problem. I don't find it hard to quickly get to the brake from resting on the floor really. There's no benefit if you have to keep your feet poised all the time!
    constvoid likes this.
    Sport 2.0 TDI 150 Sportback in Scuba Blue, alcantara/leather, advanced key, audi sound system, comfort pack w/ ACC and park assist, deselect sports suspension, auto-dimming & folding door mirrors, electric lumbar support, heated seats, hold assist, non-smoking pack, side & lane assist, reversing camera, storage & luggage pack, tech pack with audi connect, tyre pressure warning, towbar, variable headlight range control, xenon light pack